Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

Author
LoisWinston
0 Kudos

I know what you mean about kids growing up so fast, Becke. In my mind, I'm still the age they are now! How did WE get so old?

Lois Winston

http://www.loiswinston.com

http://www.anastasiapollack.blogspot.com

Lois Winston
Author
LoisWinston
0 Kudos

Thanks for posting the cover of ASSAULT WITH A DEADLY GLUE GUN, Becke! I'm really thrilled with the way it turned out.

Have a great 4th, everyone!

Lois Winston

Lois Winston
becke_davis
0 Kudos

LoisWinston wrote:

I know what you mean about kids growing up so fast, Becke. In my mind, I'm still the age they are now! How did WE get so old?

Lois Winston

Lois - I was talking to my soon-to-be 27 year old daughter about that last night. It just struck her that she's getting older, and she commented that she was surprised she doesn't feel any different. I reminded her that I'm only 2 years away from freaking SIXTY, and I still can't comprehend how that happened. It's not all bad, though. I figure at my age, I might as well have some fun. Hence my lack of apology for my reading tastes (which lean toward the hot) or for my love affair with glitter!

rainbow glitter lips

becke_davis
0 Kudos

LoisWinston wrote:

Thanks for posting the cover of ASSAULT WITH A DEADLY GLUE GUN, Becke! I'm really thrilled with the way it turned out.

Lois Winston

Lois - I hope you'll come back when ASSAULT WITH A DEADLY GLUE GUN is released. Be sure to let us know if you'll be doing any Barnes & Noble book signings, too!

Contributor
Denisewithsabrina
0 Kudos

Hi Becke,

Your English Manor library sounds very inviting. I already picture myself there, most probably stretched out on the leather couch – since you made me feel so at home – with my nose in a good mystery book. I hope that’s ok with the modern English etiquette.

I got hooked on Agatha Christie when I was 13 years old. I borrowed And then there was none from a friend at school and I could not let go of it until I was done reading it. After that, I went through all her books one by one, and when I had read all of them I started re-reading them all, once, twice, three times or more. I don’t think any other mystery writer compares to her. I have read Rex Stout, P. D. James, all of Sir Conan Doyle’s’ Sherlock Holmes Series, but still, I am a Christie fan above all.

Whenever I find an author that I love, I read just about everything he or she has ever written. And once I’m done I invariably panic since I don’t know what I should be reading next. My grandfather used to read the last page of every book he considered reading at first, and in case he liked the ending he went ahead and read all of it. But I don’t quite approve of his method. Just between us, that’s cheating.

It seems to me that nobody better to advise me than such an experienced mystery reader as yourself.

Would you be so kind as to accompany me to the Mystery session of your delightful library, and give me a few suggestions for new authors to explore, or maybe even a personal favorite of yours? I would be much obliged.

And next time I come in, the biscuits are on me.

Cheers!

Denise.

Denise.
Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Hey, Becke, it,s maxcat and I am waiting to talk to Jennifer McMahon about Promise Not To Tell. It's been a very interesting book so far.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Like you, I got an early start on Agatha Christie. I was 15 when I borrowed my aunt's copy of Funerals Are Fatal, and I've been hooked every since. Shortly after that, I got a babysitting job for a woman who liked to read. (Well, babysitting for her kids.)

When she and her husband came home one night and she saw I was reading an Agatha Christie novel, she lugged out a box of Christie paperbacks from the 1940s and 1950s, and gave them to me. Her name was Mrs. Murgle -- a very Christie-ish name -- and I still have those books. I lost touch with her, which is a shame; I owe her a huge thank you!

I know other people who skip to the end of a book, but it's not something I've ever been able to do. I want to be surprised at the end, so I NEVER peek.

I'm rubbing my hands together with glee at the thought of introducing you to new authors. I commend you on your taste in books, and I think I'll start with others from the Golden Age of Mystery. Some of these books are hard to find, so you might have to settle for used copies. Some may seem old-fashioned to you, so I'll give you some more contemporary suggestions, too. I tend to read by author, so here goes:

Josephine Tey

Patricia Wentworth

Ngaio Marsh

Celia Fremlin

Elizabeth Lemarchand

John Creasey's Gideon books

Ruth Rendell 

Martha Grimes' Richard Jury series

Carolyn Hart

Mary Stewart

Deborah Crombie

Charles Todd

THE LIST OF ADRIAN MESSENGER is an old favorite of mine; it's written by Phillip MacDonald and is out of print. I do NOT like the movie based on the book, though.

I also like mystery short story collections, and I've found a lot of authors I like by first discovering their short stories. It's a good way to get a taste of their writing style.

Here are a couple I enjoyed:

Magnolias and Mayhem 

Killer Year

Hardly Knew Her 

The Best American Mystery Stories 2009 

Murder Most British

Malice Domestic 

The Best of Sisters in Crime 

There are so many books and authors I want to recomment, but I'd better stop now!

You'll need some sustenance with all that reading - here's some tea and scones to tide you over!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:

Hey, Becke, it,s maxcat and I am waiting to talk to Jennifer McMahon about Promise Not To Tell. It's been a very interesting book so far.

Max - I've read Promise Not to Tell and Island of Lost Girls and I really liked them both. I had Dismantled but lent it to someone, and I don't remember who. I just ordered another copy.

Author
LoisWinston
0 Kudos

Becke, if you love sparkle and glitz, you definitely need to check out my blog next Monday. I have a guest designer coming on who's all about sparkle and glitz.

Lois Winston
Author
LoisWinston
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

LoisWinston wrote:

Lois Winston

Lois - I hope you'll come back when ASSAULT WITH A DEADLY GLUE GUN is released. Be sure to let us know if you'll be doing any Barnes & Noble book signings, too!

Absolutely, Becke! I'd be happy to come back. And I'm sure I'll be doing some Barnes & Noble signings. I have one a short walk from where I live and spend quite a bit of time there.

Lois Winston
Author
Jimcolombo
0 Kudos

Hi Denise,

Welcome to our club. I absolutely love your reading list, as Agatha Christie is my favorite also. Becke has the library looking inviting and the tea is good. It's a great place to hang out.

Jim Colombo

The Keys to the Vault

becke_davis
0 Kudos

LoisWinston wrote:

Becke, if you love sparkle and glitz, you definitely need to check out my blog next Monday. I have a guest designer coming on who's all about sparkle and glitz.

Would that be Monday, July 12? I'll mark it on my calendar!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Jimcolombo wrote:

Hi Denise,

Welcome to our club. I absolutely love your reading list, as Agatha Christie is my favorite also. Becke has the library looking inviting and the tea is good. It's a great place to hang out.

Jim Colombo

The Keys to the Vault

Did you notice you're in the library now? Skip back to the first post.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

LoisWinston wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

LoisWinston wrote:

Lois Winston

Absolutely, Becke! I'd be happy to come back. And I'm sure I'll be doing some Barnes & Noble signings. I have one a short walk from where I live and spend quite a bit of time there.

I'm jealous! There are a couple B&N's in the Cincinnati area, but I don't live close to any of them. :-( 

I still hang out there, it's just a bit of a drive.

Contributor
Denisewithsabrina
0 Kudos

Hi Becke,

you are indeed a delightful hostess. Thank you for the lovely scones.

May I just say, I love your writing style. You may say you are still struggling as a fiction writer, but it is clear to me that you have what it takes! Your imagination, your taste, and the passion with which you combine your words together and turn them into something one simply relishes reading. I am certain that in no time I will be asking you for your autograph.

I can't wait to get started on the list you sent me! I don't mind old-fashioned books at all - in fact, I do tend towards them most of the time. Only recently I have started to read more contemporary authors - like Dan Brown and J. K. Rowling and, I must confess, even Stephenie Meyer; I wanted to know what the fuss was about!  My taste in old-fashioned books was born in my father's library in our country house in Brazil (I have been in US for eleven years now), where we went to spend weekends and, so I would not die by boredom cause, I was drawn to read. He didn't have many children's books. I read them all in no time, and then what was left was Emily Brontë, Charles Dickens, P. G. Wodehouse (I simply ADORE him - my favorite is Uncle Fred in Springtime), H. G. Wells and so on. I read The Adventures of Mr. Pickwick when I was only 13. Not really your typical teen. As for Brazilian authors, my choices were always unorthodox as well. I went through a long phase reading through works of what is called the Romantic Movement in Brazil, which took place during the 19th century. I moved on from that period, but coming to think of it, but the works from the Romantic Movement were always among my favorites.

If you ask me today whom I consider to be the greatest authors, I would say: Agatha, of course, Tolkien (nobody will ever compare to him) and Wodehouse. I do enjoy P.D. James and Dan Brown’s fast paced novels.

I am 38 now, and unfortunately I stopped reading as much as I used to after I had my daughter (Sabrina is 5 now and she is already developing taste for books, and I am glad for that). I guess it happens. But I am ready now to give myself more time to read. And knowing what to read is actually the hardest part, I think.

We do live in a loony house – we have two Amazon Parrots (bilingual, I might add), two Green-Cheeked Conures, a huge Great Pyrenees dog and a Beta fish (he is the only one who does not make a lot of noise). I am also a Pilates instructor, and I teach from home. But when I am reading a good book, nothing can distract me from it…

I must confess that I'll be looking at used bookstores for the two authors you mentioned, Charlotte Armstrong and Doris Miles Disney. The fact that you said that you don’t see them anymore was more than more than enough to intrigue me.

Thank you for commending on my taste for books. It means a lot coming from you, and I am delighted to have you to educate me further.

Have a lovely week! I’ll keep you posted on my reading.

Denise.
Contributor
ilovebooksAW
0 Kudos

hi my name is ilovebooksaw my reading revelations by melissa de la cruz i love this book any good books out there to read

Contributor
Denisewithsabrina
0 Kudos

Hello Jim,

thank you for your welcoming note.

Yes, Christie is the best. At some point my penchant for her novels started to irritate my father - I kept re-reading her books once, twice, three times and more - so much so that he threatened to disown me in case I did not move on to different authors.

I am still re-reading them though. At least I have a good excuse now. You see, I am originally from Brazil, so I read all of her works in Portuguese. So now I am reading them in English, which is so much better since so much gets lost in translation.

I see you are a mystery author yourself. The Keys to the Vault sounds very intriguing. I'll be sure to look it up next time I hang out at Barnes and Noble.

Denise.

Denise.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Denisewithsabrina wrote:

Hi Becke,

you are indeed a delightful hostess. Thank you for the lovely scones.

Today it's tea and biscuits - do have some:

May I just say, I love your writing style. You may say you are still struggling as a fiction writer, but it is clear to me that you have what it takes! Your imagination, your taste, and the passion with which you combine your words together and turn them into something one simply relishes reading. I am certain that in no time I will be asking you for your autograph.

Thank you so much! If it ever happens, you all will be the first to know. Okay, maybe the second. (My critique partners and my family would come first, and probably in that order!)

Orkut Scraps - Thank You

I can't wait to get started on the list you sent me! I don't mind old-fashioned books at all - in fact, I do tend towards them most of the time. Only recently I have started to read more contemporary authors - like Dan Brown and J. K. Rowling and, I must confess, even Stephenie Meyer; I wanted to know what the fuss was about! 

My daughter, sister and nieces are all hooked on the Twilight series. I do love paranormal, but I must admit I haven't read these yet. On the other hand, I've read the whole Harry Potter series (Book 1 is still my favorite) and I've read Dan Brown's books; my favorite of his is The DaVinci Code. My daughter is also insisting I read The Help - I bought it, but I'm intimidated by the size. I will read it, though, just don't know when.

My taste in old-fashioned books was born in my father's library in our country house in Brazil (I have been in US for eleven years now), where we went to spend weekends and, so I would not die by boredom cause, I was drawn to read. He didn't have many children's books. I read them all in no time, and then what was left was Emily Brontë, Charles Dickens, P. G. Wodehouse (I simply ADORE him - my favorite is Uncle Fred in Springtime), H. G. Wells and so on. I read The Adventures of Mr. Pickwick when I was only 13. Not really your typical teen.

How cool that you grew up in Brazil! My grandfather was an Army doctor who got moved around a lot, and my dad spent his teen years in Panama. He's still fluent in Spanish, which helped when I was taking it in school because I had someone to practice on.

Like you, I read everything on my parents' bookshelves. We got the kids' books at the library, but my parents had their own books plus, after he died, my grandfather's collection. That included everything from Ogden Nash and Robert Service to Aldous Huxley and Evelyn Waugh, and I read them all. I also adore P.G. Wodehouse -- if you like his books, I highly recommend this one:

Three Men in a Boat 

As for Brazilian authors, my choices were always unorthodox as well. I went through a long phase reading through works of what is called the Romantic Movement in Brazil, which took place during the 19th century. I moved on from that period, but coming to think of it, but the works from the Romantic Movement were always among my favorites.

We had a visit in May from Leighton Gage, a mystery author who lives in Brazil. You might want to check out his books.

If you ask me today whom I consider to be the greatest authors, I would say: Agatha, of course, Tolkien (nobody will ever compare to him) and Wodehouse. I do enjoy P.D. James and Dan Brown’s fast paced novels.

I also like P.D. James - I'm glad you mentioned her. I went through a period where I loved old mysteries by the likes of Carter Dickson/John Dickson Carr, Marjorie Allingham and Dorothy L. Sayers but they aren't my favorites today.

I am 38 now, and unfortunately I stopped reading as much as I used to after I had my daughter (Sabrina is 5 now and she is already developing taste for books, and I am glad for that). I guess it happens. But I am ready now to give myself more time to read. And knowing what to read is actually the hardest part, I think.

My reading time has always waxed and waned depending on other things in my life, but I would say I average a book a day. I read fast, but when I'm writing I don't read nearly as much. My kids are grown, so I have more time now - they are almost 23 and almost 27.

We do live in a loony house – we have two Amazon Parrots (bilingual, I might add), two Green-Cheeked Conures, a huge Great Pyrenees dog and a Beta fish (he is the only one who does not make a lot of noise). I am also a Pilates instructor, and I teach from home. But when I am reading a good book, nothing can distract me from it…

I could use your discipline - sitting at the computer and reading hasn't helped my fitness at all! Over the years we've had countless cats, two gerbils, two rabbits, a hamster and a dog, but they all grew old, as we have, and now we have only one cat. Well, we also have a number of raccoons who think my cat is one of their family, so I guess that is a little loony, too!

I must confess that I'll be looking at used bookstores for the two authors you mentioned, Charlotte Armstrong and Doris Miles Disney. The fact that you said that you don’t see them anymore was more than more than enough to intrigue me.

I saved most of my Charlotte Armstrong books, but I snap up Doris Miles Disney whenever I find her books used.

Thank you for commending on my taste for books. It means a lot coming from you, and I am delighted to have you to educate me further.

I love aiding and abetting people in their search for something new to read - glad to be of help! You've definitely come to the right place - the "what are you reading now" thread is always a good place to get ideas, too.

Have a lovely week! I’ll keep you posted on my reading.

You, too! So glad you joined us!

Author
Jimcolombo
0 Kudos

Denise,

I think that it is interesting that you feel something of the story is lost in the translation from English to Portuguese. Do you feel that the stories make more sense in English? 

I love P.G. Wodehouse. He really makes me laugh out loud.

Have a great day1

Jim