Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

becke_davis wrote:

Thank you for the butterfly, becke! Have a good Friday, yourself. I'm putting those authors of those bookshop mysteries previously listed here on my TBR list--but they will have to wait until AFTER I've read the books I got in the packages you sent me, hee hee! :smileyvery-happy:  I am waaaay behind in my reading, but having so many books to read is a fun challenge for me. Everyone--have a good weekend!
" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'm always looking for butterflies for you, Fricka!

If you all are wondering about Fricka's book shipment, check out the Got Books? thread here.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Thanks, Susan - I haven't read that book, but I HAVE read this one, and the title reminds me of it:

The Haunted Bookshop (Barnes & Noble Library of Essential Reading) 

Synopsis

Part love story, part thriller, part booklover’s fantasy—and entirely charming—Christopher Morley’s The Haunted Bookshop has something for every reader. Set in a lovingly evoked Brooklyn just after the end of World War I, the story cleverly juxtaposes a pair of middle-aged bookshop owners and two young lovers with a nest of German saboteurs, complete with mysterious clues, red herrings, blushing romance, derring-do, a desperate race to the rescue, and an explosion. More important, the novel is an eloquent hymn to the bookseller’s trade and a fervent plea for the revivifying and redemptive power of literature. The unifying thread of this book, and indeed of the life and work of its author, is its passionate avowal that all the world and everybody in it needs is a good book.

More Reviews and Recommendations

Biography

Just as his best-remembered novel is idiosyncratic and hard to categorize, so is its author, Christopher Morley. A jack-of-all-trades literary gentleman, Morley published twelve novels, fourteen collections of poetry, sixteen volumes of essays, a number of plays, and countless reviews. His literary career stretched from 1912, when he published his first volume of poetry, until 1955, two years before his death, when he published his last.

Will have a look..Set in Brooklyn ,NY..I think its a perfect book to snuggle up with  .The one  I posted is definately a Becke Read..Its an actual Bookstore in NYC..All stories writtin by some of your Fave Authors..I was just searching around on a website and this book appeared  have a look...See you At The "Manor" or on The Island"  You bounce around alot  : )Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Susan - I just preordered CHRISTMAS AT THE MYSTERIOUS BOOKSHOP, and I'm digging through my bookshelves to find the other one, too. Time for a re-read!

saturday-graphics-27.gif

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Butterflies for Fricka:

saturday-graphics-7.gif

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Susan - I just preordered CHRISTMAS AT THE MYSTERIOUS BOOKSHOP, and I'm digging through my bookshelves to find the other one, too. Time for a re-read!

saturday-graphics-27.gif

www.mysteriousbookshop.com

This is there site an Icon in NYC..I was just looking at it online..You would pack your bags and move..A Must go to for you ,when you are in NYC...Very prestigious..and imagine the fun you would have..You would probably be helping customers. B..They just had a write up on SA  online..Susan

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Very cool, Susan!

The Mystery Mansion at BN.com is growing - I just added another room to the new wing:

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

The Keys to the Vault   Becke...That was Quick.,Virtual is the Best....I would like to RESERVE The Wing for a Book Retreat..in 2 weeks... When Jim see'sThe New Wing  he will love it!!!Susan

becke_davis

And, of course, some butterflies:

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Ahhh, more butterflies! Thanks, becke!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis

Fricka wrote:

Ahhh, more butterflies! Thanks, becke!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Just got through visiting that first site, Becke. Very impressive! Almost made me want to set up my own blog, though I am terribly klutzy when it comes to computer technology. Loved the fishes and Gilbert! Found out he only likes the green stuff on top, though he would follow the others--wasn't interested in eating them, hee hee! That's my kind of Guinea Pig--the real ones are a lot louder and smellier(my mom, who was an elementary teacher, kept a guinea pig in her classroom, and the children loved it. He would come home with us for the summer, driving our minature dachsund so wild that we ended up having to put his cage waaaay up high, lol).

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Just got through visiting that first site, Becke. Very impressive! Almost made me want to set up my own blog, though I am terribly klutzy when it comes to computer technology. Loved the fishes and Gilbert! Found out he only likes the green stuff on top, though he would follow the others--wasn't interested in eating them, hee hee! That's my kind of Guinea Pig--the real ones are a lot louder and smellier(my mom, who was an elementary teacher, kept a guinea pig in her classroom, and the children loved it. He would come home with us for the summer, driving our minature dachsund so wild that we ended up having to put his cage waaaay up high, lol).

We used to have gerbils, but we never had a guinea pig. They are so cute!

My daughter introduced me to that Gilbert site - it is so much fun! And ridiculously addictive. I also have to feed and groom him when I'm at my blog. 

Herbert the Hedgehog lives on my Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/becke.martin

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

bookgarden.jpg

Garden of Books in Canadian Forest

As I was reading my old paperback last night, I was noticing the red color on the edge of the pages, so that when the book is closed, the top, bottom, and page side are red, as are many others that I have, as well as yellow, green, blue...  But I don't think they do that much any more, do they?  I think my newer paperbacks have no edge color on them.

I also enjoyed playing with Gilbert!  He must have just been picky when Fricka was trying to feed him, because when I gave him an apple wedge, he took a couple of bites, and then grabbed it and ran over to the side of the frame with it, where he finished it off.  The broccoli, he just ate the top of at first, but with patience, he ate the stem, too.  I loved the hearts when I groomed him, too!  He seemed to like it most on his head.  At first, I didn't see the things to choose, so I was trying to 'groom' him by rubbing him with the cursor, but he kept jumping and squeaking - I wasn't sure if he liked it or was annoyed!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Isn't Gilbert fun? I had to go groom him for awhile after Fricka posted.

A lot of my old Christie paperbacks have colored edges. I wonder when and why that changed?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

OMG, becke, t hat Barnesy is soooo cute! I was moving my cursor around when I noticed that his head was following it! He did not take the meat, but gave off hearts when I brought the flower bouquet in front of his face! And just now, when I scrolled down to make sure I spelled his name right, he was standing and looking up --like he is watching me write this! His head is still pointed up like he is watching what I am doing! Very addictive-- I am going to have a hard time leaving this site now!

TGIF, everyone!