Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

becke_davis wrote:

Do any of you watch INSPECTOR LEWIS on PBS? If so, have you noticed that every week they spell out a secret message in the credits in red letters?

Tonight's message was FIRST FIG, referring to the Edna St. Vincent Millay quote that the artist on the houseboat quoted:

"My candle burns at both ends;
It will not last the night;
But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends—
It gives a lovely light." 

I hadn't noticed it at all!  I guess I haven't been paying much attention to the credits.  Do you know what any of the others were?

Sigh - after so many new Lewis episodes, I think I might go through withdrawal!  That was a good one last night, as all of them have been.  It was funny that the artist thought there couldn't be anything between Lewis and Laura because he said she goes for the wild ones!  Guess her tastes have changed - I can't think of anyone less wild than Lewis!  Although she is having to work awfully hard to get anything going there.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

I watched that episode last night, too! I think that is the last one for a while, as Mr. Cummings was showing a trailer after the episode was over, for the new Wallander episode(s) featuring Kenneth Branagh. Guess it is too late for me to note the hidden messages in the credits, unless I get my hands on DVD of earlier seasons. BTW, WHO is that actor who was playing the artist on the houseboat??? His face is familiar, but I don't recall his name.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

I watched that episode last night, too! I think that is the last one for a while, as Mr. Cummings was showing a trailer after the episode was over, for the new Wallander episode(s) featuring Kenneth Branagh. Guess it is too late for me to note the hidden messages in the credits, unless I get my hands on DVD of earlier seasons. BTW, WHO is that actor who was playing the artist on the houseboat??? His face is familiar, but I don't recall his name.

He looked very familiar to me, too!  Took a bit of digging, but I got him: Rupert Graves.

http://www.tvguide.com/celebrities/rupert-graves/173271

Rupert Graves
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

That would be Rupert Graves, a popular British actor:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001291/

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Do any of you watch INSPECTOR LEWIS on PBS? If so, have you noticed that every week they spell out a secret message in the credits in red letters?

Tonight's message was FIRST FIG, referring to the Edna St. Vincent Millay quote that the artist on the houseboat quoted:

I hadn't noticed it at all!  I guess I haven't been paying much attention to the credits.  Do you know what any of the others were?

Sigh - after so many new Lewis episodes, I think I might go through withdrawal!  That was a good one last night, as all of them have been.  It was funny that the artist thought there couldn't be anything between Lewis and Laura because he said she goes for the wild ones!  Guess her tastes have changed - I can't think of anyone less wild than Lewis!  Although she is having to work awfully hard to get anything going there.

I found this online:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0874608/board/nest/170897209

"The secret message hidden in the closing credits of the "Sudden Death" episode was: HENRY PURCELL. At first this didn't make sense to me, until I remembered that he wrote the "Faerie Queene" opera that Lewis and the pathologist were going to see at Glyndebourne."

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

I found this online:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0874608/board/nest/170897209

"The secret message hidden in the closing credits of the "Sudden Death" episode was: HENRY PURCELL. At first this didn't make sense to me, until I remembered that he wrote the "Faerie Queene" opera that Lewis and the pathologist were going to see at Glyndebourne."

Ha - I think you might need an Oxford education to get all of the references!  I knew a bit of that poem by Edna St. Vicent Millay, but I have never known the title of it, and I am not very familiar with Purcell (I'll have to check to see if I have a CD of his music in my Great Composers series; the name does sound familiar).

Author
CherylKayeTardif
0 Kudos

Thank you so much for posting about my new release, Lancelot's Lady. The launch is TODAY and it's been an exciting day so far. :-)

All the best to you and everyone here on the boards.

Cherish D'Angelo

Cheryl Kaye Tardif
bestselling Canadian suspense author
http://www.cherylktardif.com

AKA... Cherish D'Angelo
romantic suspense author
http://www.cherishdangelo.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Congratulations,Cheryl - that's really exciting!

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

CherylKayeTardif wrote:

Thank you so much for posting about my new release, Lancelot's Lady. The launch is TODAY and it's been an exciting day so far. :-)

All the best to you and everyone here on the boards.

Cherish D'Angelo

All the Best to you Cheryl..How Exciting.!! Thanks for Visiting .Becke is a great promoter..Susan Vtc

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Here are a few more nooks at Mystery Mansion!

Author
AveryAames
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi, Becke.  I'm new to this discussion.  I'm Avery Aames, author of A Cheese Shop Mystery series, from Berkley Prime Crime.  

The Long Quiche Goodbye

I know Andrew Gross.  He's a delight.  I've read Blue Tide and really enjoyed it.  

The Dark Tide

Blue Zone

Avery

dhaupt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

AveryAames wrote:

Hi, Becke.  I'm new to this discussion.  I'm Avery Aames, author of A Cheese Shop Mystery series, from Berkley Prime Crime.  

I know Andrew Gross.  He's a delight.  I've read Blue Tide and really enjoyed it.  

Avery

Hi Avery, I've seen you on AuthorBuzz and I know somewhere else too, and I have your latest mystery on my TBR pile. You'll love Becke, she's great.

And Andrew Gross is a personal favorite author of mine, I was fortunate enough to get an ARC of The Dark Tide from Harper Collins and I've been smitten ever since. Not only is he a great author but a hottie to boot :-)

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

*waves "Hi" to Avery.

Avery, I got to see you, along with Jamie Frevelletti, at the Poisoned Pen Bookstore, about a month ago.  Got both of your books. :smileyvery-happy: I've also visited your alternate website, but I have to watch myself or I start drooling at all the titles! Nice to see you join us in here!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

AveryAames wrote:

Avery

Andrew has visited here before - a lot of us are fans! BTW, your author tag should show up again shortly. Sorry you had sign in problems!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

AveryAames wrote:

Avery

Hi Avery, I've seen you on AuthorBuzz and I know somewhere else too, and I have your latest mystery on my TBR pile. You'll love Becke, she's great.

And Andrew Gross is a personal favorite author of mine, I was fortunate enough to get an ARC of The Dark Tide from Harper Collins and I've been smitten ever since. Not only is he a great author but a hottie to boot :-)

Hi Deb - thanks for taking time from B&N's Fiction board to stop in and visit with us! Avery was featured her when her book came out:

The Long Quiche Goodbye

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

For a quick look at what's coming up at B&N's Mystery Book Club, I always post the features on my blog: http://the-garden-muse.blogspot.com/

Follow me so you won't miss any updates! (And don't forget to feed the fish if you stop in.)

The Mysterious Garden Muse

Author
LoisWinston
0 Kudos

Knit a sock; learn to write?

Happy Friday, Becke and everyone! I thought I'd pop in to let you all know that author Jessie Crockett is over at Killer Crafts & Crafty Killers today, talking about how learning to knit taught her how to write. She's also giving away a copy of her book, LIVE FREE OR DIE. Hope you'll drop by:

http:www.anastasiapollack.blogspot.com

Lois Winston
http://www.loiswinston.com
http://www.anastasiapollack.blogspot.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Knit a sock; learn to write?

Hi Lois - and everyone!

Just stopping in to let you all know I'm heading to Columbus for the Central Ohio Fiction Writers conference. I won't be online much over the weekend, but I'll be back Sunday evening to introduce Monday's guest author, JOELLE CHARBONNEAU.

I'm excited about the conference I'm going to, where SUZANNE BROCKMANN is the keynote speaker. Back later - have a great weekend!

Contributor
timmartinwriter
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hello, my name is Tim Martin.  I'm a writer and currently working on my first novel.  It is a mystery/political thriller.  Mystery is my all-time favorite genre!  I hope you all will give my blog a look.  I mostly do mystery/thriller reviews as well as product reviews and other items of interest.  Most recently I just did a Nook Review!  Check it out.  Thanks!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

timmartinwriter wrote:

Hello, my name is Tim Martin.  I'm a writer and currently working on my first novel.  It is a mystery/political thriller.  Mystery is my all-time favorite genre!  I hope you all will give my blog a look.  I mostly do mystery/thriller reviews as well as product reviews and other items of interest.  Most recently I just did a Nook Review!  Check it out.  Thanks!

Hi Tim - welcome to the Mystery Book Club, and good luck with your book!