Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
A_G_D
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!

Welcome to the group Andrea......I am new as well so I don't feel so newbie alone now LOL....and I agree with her Becke that your little notes are very cute and a great way to start off the day......:smileytongue:

Thank you:smileyhappy:
Andreea
"Books are the quitest and most constant of friends; they are the most accesible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." -Charles Eliot
becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

New York Times Best Selling Romantic Suspense Author is visiting with us RIGHT NOW! Stop over and say hi!

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Mystery/Please-Welcome-Author-CHERRY-ADAIR/m-p/853718#M33801

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Mystery Scene Magazine www.mysteryscenemag.com

Hi everyone, 

If the winter weather has gotten you down, our guest for "Writers on Reading" this month, Barbara D'Amato, has a suggestion: Joseph Wambaugh's The Choirboys.

And if a healthy dose of Joseph Wambaugh's outrageous black comedy doesn't cure the winter doldrums, there's a lot more going on in February:Edgar Awards buzz (read our MS reviews of all Best Novel nominees); tales of true love on the mystery convention circuit in honor of Valentine's Day; and some of our favorite Mardi Gras reads . 

Oh, and how could we forget? The #118 Winter Issue of Mystery Scene, featuring Robert Crais, author of the Elvis Cole series, is just on the horizon for late February. The forthcoming issue also includes a chat with Jill Paton Walsh about her latest continuation of Dorothy L. Sayer's Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries, a look at TV's most intriguing PI, Kalinda Sharma on The Good Wife (CBS), a selection of crime films featuring journalists, and a look at Steven Hockensmith's Holmes on the Range adventures, andLawrence Block remembers his friendship with Evan Hunter (aka Ed McBain). 

Sincerely,
Kate Stine
Editor-in-Chief 

Read Anything Good Lately?
Email us your fave raves for the "Our Readers Recommend" feature and be entered to win a free book! 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Author Nancy Martin discusses "Who wrote the first detective novel" here: 

http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=132760328&m=132760301

becke_davis

New User
Arizona2008
0 Kudos

Hi.  My name is Terry and I am new to B&N Community.  I am a Virginia native, but retired in Arizona.  The scenery is breathtaking.  I tend to enjoy romance mysteries the most.  This past year, at the recommendation of a friend, I have been following author Jill Shure.  I tend to get hooked on an author and get pretty ansy for their sequels to come out.  I look forward to sharing with everyone on the Mystery Forum.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Night Glitter 
Arizona2008 wrote:

Hi.  My name is Terry and I am new to B&N Community.  I am a Virginia native, but retired in Arizona.  The scenery is breathtaking.  I tend to enjoy romance mysteries the most.  This past year, at the recommendation of a friend, I have been following author Jill Shure.  I tend to get hooked on an author and get pretty ansy for their sequels to come out.  I look forward to sharing with everyone on the Mystery Forum.

Hi Terry - Nice to meet you! I hope you'll have fun hanging out with us!

Night Caps

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Join the PubIt! community on Facebook

If you're looking to learn more about digital publishing, please join our PubIt! Facebook community, where you’ll find marketing tips, inspiration and discussion around publishing your own NOOKbooks.

Simply go here to "like" the page and take part in the conversation!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Re: Join the PubIt! community on Facebook

This weekend, Janet Rudolph has posted a list, compiled by Ruth Greiner, of Sweetheart Sleuths.

Here's a few of the authors and their sweetheart-mystery-solving couples from the list:

(Author's last names are listed first, in alphabetical order, then the sleuth names follow the author's)

Alexander, Tasha-- Lady Emily and Colin Hargreaves

Charles, Kate-- Lucy Kingsley and David Middleton-Brown

Christie, Agatha--Tommy and Tuppence Beresford

Crombie, Deborah--Duncan Kincaid and Gemma Jones

Greenwood, Kerry--Corinna Chapman and Daniel Cohen

Hammett, Dashiell-- Nick and Nora Charles

Hart, Carolyn--Max and Annie Darling

King, Laurie R.--Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes

Marsh, Ngaio--Roderick Alleyn and Agatha Troy

Paige, Robin-- Charles and Katherine Sheridan

Peters, Elizabeth--Amelia Peabody and Radcliffe Emerson, Ramses and Nefret, Vicky Bliss and John Smythe

Raybourn, Deanna--Nicholas Brisbane and Lady Julia Grey

Sayers, Dorothy L.-- Lord Peter Wimsey and Harriet Vane

For the complete list, check out the link here:http://www.mysteryreadersinc.blogspot.com/

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

What a fabulous list! Thanks for sharing this!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Distinguished Correspondent
A_G_D
0 Kudos

Thank you!! Happy Valentine's Day to everyone!

Andreea
"Books are the quitest and most constant of friends; they are the most accesible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." -Charles Eliot
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

This weekend, Janet Rudolph has posted a list, compiled by Ruth Greiner, of Sweetheart Sleuths.

Here's a few of the authors and their sweetheart-mystery-solving couples from the list:

(Author's last names are listed first, in alphabetical order, then the sleuth names follow the author's)

Alexander, Tasha-- Lady Emily and Colin Hargreaves

Charles, Kate-- Lucy Kingsley and David Middleton-Brown

Christie, Agatha--Tommy and Tuppence Beresford

Crombie, Deborah--Duncan Kincaid and Gemma Jones

Greenwood, Kerry--Corinna Chapman and Daniel Cohen

Hammett, Dashiell-- Nick and Nora Charles

Hart, Carolyn--Max and Annie Darling

King, Laurie R.--Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes

Marsh, Ngaio--Roderick Alleyn and Agatha Troy

Paige, Robin-- Charles and Katherine Sheridan

Peters, Elizabeth--Amelia Peabody and Radcliffe Emerson, Ramses and Nefret, Vicky Bliss and John Smythe

Raybourn, Deanna--Nicholas Brisbane and Lady Julia Grey

Sayers, Dorothy L.-- Lord Peter Wimsey and Harriet Vane

For the complete list, check out the link here:http://www.mysteryreadersinc.blogspot.com/

Cool!  A lot of my favorites on that list!  And although I would have listed Amelia and Emerson, I don't think I would have thought of including Nefret and Ramses, but that makes sense, too!  Will we get yet a third generation of mystery-solving Emersons?!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

99996vdaybouquet.gif

Thanks, becke! Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!
" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Correspondent
wyntermoon
0 Kudos

Hey Terry....this is an awesome group...glad to have you join us...
becke_davis

wyntermoon wrote:
Hey Terry....this is an awesome group...glad to have you join us...

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

TGIF, everyone!

Today, Mystery Fanfare has a listing of the 2010 Agatha Award Nominees.

Here's a partial listing:

Best Novel:

Stark Raving Mad by Donna Andrews

Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny

Drive Time by Hank Phillipi Ryan

Best New Novel:

The Long Quiche Goodbye by Avery Aames

The complete list of nominees can be found at this link:

http://www.mysteryreadersinc.blogspot.com/

I wanted to comment that if it weren't for this forum, I wouldn't have heard of most of these authors and I certainly wouldn't have read their books. Thanks to everyone who wrote about the books you liked by these authors. I have now read all of Louise Penny's books, and have read books by both Donna Andrews and Hank Phillipi Ryan..becke, thanks for highlighting Avery Aames here, as after we had a chance to meet Avery on this forum, I got to meet her in person  at a book signing and got her book. I think that this list of nominees shows that here on this forum, we are discussing very talented, quality writers.

Congratulations to all the nominees!