Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!

Changes (Dresden Files Series #12) 
Elijah_Holmes wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Not really sure how to do this, since I've never posted in a forum before. So forgive me if I did this wrong.

My name is Elijah Wright, but my friends call me Eli. I've been reading mysteries ever since I got my first "children's collection" of Holmes stories when I was eight. Of course, eleven years later, I still haven't read as much as I'd like, what with school and other things going on. I've read every original Holmes story at least seven times each, as well as the numerous ones written by other writers. I've also dipped my toe into the murky pools of Urban Fantacy, specifically Jim Butcher's wonderful series, The Dresden Files.

So if you have any classics you'd like to recommend, I'd appreciante it.

Hi Eli and welcome to the Mystery forum! You're doing this exactly right! If you want to add links to the books you're talking about, just click "Add Product" in the upper right of the comment box, where the tools are. Above that, still to the right, you'll find a green and white "Quote" icon. Click that when you want to include a comment you're responding to.

I LOVE Jim Butcher's DRESDEN FILES, both the books and the old TV series. His wife is a mystery author, too - Shannon K. Butcher. Have you read Terry Pratchett or Neil Gaiman? They're really good, too.

Storm Front (Dresden Files Series #1)

becke_davis

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Elijah_Holmes wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Not really sure how to do this, since I've never posted in a forum before. So forgive me if I did this wrong.

My name is Elijah Wright, but my friends call me Eli. I've been reading mysteries ever since I got my first "children's collection" of Holmes stories when I was eight. Of course, eleven years later, I still haven't read as much as I'd like, what with school and other things going on. I've read every original Holmes story at least seven times each, as well as the numerous ones written by other writers. I've also dipped my toe into the murky pools of Urban Fantacy, specifically Jim Butcher's wonderful series, The Dresden Files.

Hi Eli, I love it when young adults like yourself love to read and share their thoughts with others.

As far as mysteries, I'll let Becke show you the way, and I noticed that you like Jim Butcher's series, you might want to hop over to sci-fi/fantasy and post on Paul Goat Allen's book club he is a God when it comes to anything that goes bump in the night here's a link to his book club

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Fantasy-Science-Fiction/bd-p/fsf

come back often and let us know what you're reading

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Elijah_Holmes wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Hi, Eli!  If you like Holmes, I would recommend some of Poe's stories; he is considered the inventor of the detective story.  He only wrote a few stories with his detective, C. Auguste Dupin, but I think you will see the strong similarities to Conan Doyle's stories, with a narrator similar to Watson.  The specific stories are The Murders in the Rue Morgue, The Purloined Letter, and The Mystery of Marie Roget.  We are discussing Poe's stories on the Classics board, so you might want to join in (you may enjoy his other stories, too).  There is a thread already about The Purloined Letter from an earlier discussion (see my main thread about Poe for a link, but I would recommend not reading the thread until you have read the story, otherwise you will know the ending), and if you want to discuss one of the others (or any Poe story), you can post a thread on it.

I thought I would also mention that in addition to the Sci Fi/Fantasy that Deb posted, Paul has another forum you might be interested in; I think it is called Paranormal and Urban Fantasy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Contributor
Elijah_Holmes
0 Kudos

Thanks Beckie, Deb, and Dulcinea.

Beckie- I keep meaning to check out Neil Gaiman, and your recomendation will certainly factor into my next trip to my local book store.

Deb-Thanks for the link, but if I post everytime I finish a book, I may end up posting once a day or even less!

Dulcinea- I once tried, when I was younger, to read the poe stories, and got through the "Murders in the Rue Mourge", but I was young, brash, and dismissed Dupin because I felt he was a Holmes rip-off, even though I knew that he came first. But I have been meaning to get back to those stories, and when I'm done, I'll defineately check out the forum.

"You see, but you do not observe. The distinction is clear." -Sherlock Holmes to Watson in "A Scandal in Bohemia"
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Elijah_Holmes wrote:

Thanks Beckie, Deb, and Dulcinea.

Beckie- I keep meaning to check out Neil Gaiman, and your recomendation will certainly factor into my next trip to my local book store.

Deb-Thanks for the link, but if I post everytime I finish a book, I may end up posting once a day or even less!

Dulcinea- I once tried, when I was younger, to read the poe stories, and got through the "Murders in the Rue Mourge", but I was young, brash, and dismissed Dupin because I felt he was a Holmes rip-off, even though I knew that he came first. But I have been meaning to get back to those stories, and when I'm done, I'll defineately check out the forum.

Eli - Check out Poe's The Telltale Heart - that one scared the heck out of me when I was in high school!

New User
Sacronin
0 Kudos

Hi, Becky,

Sean Cronin here.  Just signed up.

You've got a great introduction to yourself, very eclectic.

I'm her to talk about books a bit, hear from others about books.

I'll also want to publicise myself.  My first novel comes out in April (it's pretty good).

I have little experience with on-line clubs.  So I'll search around to see how it works.

If you have any thoughts, comments, etc.  please feel free to drop me a note.

Sean

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

For you, Becke: Old Spice Guy

Behind the Scene of Old Spice

I know how much you love the Old Spice Guy commercials. Here's a video that goes behind the scenes of the latest installment.

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Sacronin wrote:

Hi, Becky,

Sean Cronin here.  Just signed up.

You've got a great introduction to yourself, very eclectic.

I'm her to talk about books a bit, hear from others about books.

I'll also want to publicise myself.  My first novel comes out in April (it's pretty good).

I have little experience with on-line clubs.  So I'll search around to see how it works.

If you have any thoughts, comments, etc.  please feel free to drop me a note.

Sean

Hi Sean - It's always nice when people find their way here! I tried to post a link to your book but apparently it's not available at B&N yet. Is it coming out as an ebook or in a paper edition? When it becomes available, you can post the link by clicking "Add Product" and selecting either "Books" or "Ebooks."

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Mystery Scene Magazine www.mysteryscenemag.com

2011 Winter Issue #118

Our Robert Crais' profile "The Dudes Abide," plus win MC Beaton's latest Hamish Macbeth mystery, join us at Left Coast Crime, and Simon Tolkien on reading Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

MS Winter #118, David Crais

Mystery Scene's 2011 Winter Issue, #118

Hi everyone, 

We've just finished up Winter Issue #118, which should be hitting newsstands and mailboxes early next week.   

In the new issue, author Robert Crais discusses his latest Elvis Cole and Joe Pike novel, The Sentry, and Jill Paton Walsh talks about the challenges of continuing Dorothy L. Sayers' Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries. Also, Lawrence Block recalls his friend Evan Hunter (aka Ed McBain), Kevin Burton Smith nominates Kalinda Sharma from The Good Wife as the "Best 'Tec on TV," and you won't want to miss the latest and final installment of our Book Collecting series.

We also sit down for a chat with Steve Hockensmith, author of the Holmes on the Range adventures about two cowpoke brothers turned detectives. A special online exclusive review of The World's Greatest Sleuth, which we're sharing with you first, appears in this newsletter (below).

And for your first look exclusive on March's Writers on Reading essay authorSimon Tolkien weighs in on John le Carré's classic, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

Last but not least, Publisher Brian Skupin and I will both be attending Left Coast Crime March 24-27 in Santa Fe, New Mexico later this month. If you're also in town, please stop and say hello!

Sincerely,
Kate Stine
Editor-in-Chief 
becke_davis

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Thanks to Janet Rudolph at Mystery Fanfare for this:

(It's a bit late, but I thought you'd still enjoy it!)

Murder at the Academy Awards:2011

Enjoy the Academy Awards tonight. Almost forgot to post this updated list! Several mysteries take place during the Academy Awards or the time period surrounding the Oscars!

Murder at the Academy Awardsby Joan Rivers and Jerilyn Farmer
Oscar Season by Mary McNamara
Murder at the Academy Awards by Joe Hyams
Best Murder on the Year by Jon P. Bloch
Best Actress by John Kane
Jack Hightower by Will Vinton & Andrew Wiese 
Screenscam by Michael Bowen 
Tight Shot by Kevin Allman

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I just started a new fan page on Facebook (they were going to cut me off soon for exceeding their "friend" limit). You can find me here:

http://on.fb.me/dU74dd

Author
Hubie
0 Kudos

My name is Mike Orenduff, but I chose the pen name "Hubie" for this site because he is the protagonist in the series I write. Yes, I'm an author, but I will add nothing more about that. I joined this club because I'm a mystery reader, and it was recommended to me by Beth Groundwater, herself a very good author. But no author, not even Sue Grafton, can write as many books as she can read, so we are all primarily readers. I don't read "thrillers" of "suspense" books, although I don't mind some thrills and suspense in a mystery. But it has to be primarily a mystery, preferable of the traditional British style. The only bookstore in our town in South Georgia, a Waldenbooks, closed last year. I used to browse their mystery section. I enjoy browsing through actual books. Reading bits online is OK., but no substitute for holding the books. There is, alas, no Barnes & Noble close by, so I'm hoping the discussions of mysteries in this club will help me find books I can order from B&N online. I'm a retired university professor/administrator, so I have time to read. I am also a house husband as my wife still works full time. When she retires, we plan to move back to escape the swamps and move back to the New Mexico desert.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

The Pot Thief Who Studied Pythagoras 
Hubie wrote:

My name is Mike Orenduff, but I chose the pen name "Hubie" for this site because he is the protagonist in the series I write. Yes, I'm an author, but I will add nothing more about that. I joined this club because I'm a mystery reader, and it was recommended to me by Beth Groundwater, herself a very good author. But no author, not even Sue Grafton, can write as many books as she can read, so we are all primarily readers. I don't read "thrillers" of "suspense" books, although I don't mind some thrills and suspense in a mystery. But it has to be primarily a mystery, preferable of the traditional British style. The only bookstore in our town in South Georgia, a Waldenbooks, closed last year. I used to browse their mystery section. I enjoy browsing through actual books. Reading bits online is OK., but no substitute for holding the books. There is, alas, no Barnes & Noble close by, so I'm hoping the discussions of mysteries in this club will help me find books I can order from B&N online. I'm a retired university professor/administrator, so I have time to read. I am also a house husband as my wife still works full time. When she retires, we plan to move back to escape the swamps and move back to the New Mexico desert.

The Pot Thief Who Studied Einstein

Welcome to the Mystery forum, Mike! I appreciate your modesty, but let's give your books a little plug. They look really interesting, and I'm a huge fan of New Mexico. Are you going to the Left Coast Crime conference in Santa Fe later this month? My brother lives in Albuquerque and works at an indie bookstore there. We're not supposed to mention the competition here, but suffice to say it starts with Book - that works!

You've definitely come to the right place to find great reading recommendations. Before long you'll have humongous waiting-to-be-read piles like the rest of us!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Hubie wrote:

Welcome to our little world of mystery Mike and I'm glad that Becke gave your books a little push :smileyhappy:

Welcome also to retirement, my husband also recently retired and left the getting up at dawn to me now :smileyhappy: so I hope you're enjoying it as much as he is.

I also like British mysteries and there is an author who writes a series about a Scotland Yard duo Jemma James and Duncan Kincaid by the author Deborah Crombie, if she isn't on your list of already known she would be worth checking out:

Necessary as Blood (Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James Series #13) 

this is the latest in the series which can be read as stand a lones

A Share in Death (Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James Series #1) or if you're like me and like to start from the beginning this is the first

Happy reading

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

The Pot Thief Who Studied Pythagoras 
Hubie wrote:

The Pot Thief Who Studied Einstein

Welcome to the Mystery forum, Mike! I appreciate your modesty, but let's give your books a little plug. They look really interesting, and I'm a huge fan of New Mexico. Are you going to the Left Coast Crime conference in Santa Fe later this month? My brother lives in Albuquerque and works at an indie bookstore there. We're not supposed to mention the competition here, but suffice to say it starts with Book - that works!

You've definitely come to the right place to find great reading recommendations. Before long you'll have humongous waiting-to-be-read piles like the rest of us!

Oh yes alway plug your new book. Welcome!:smileyvery-happy: