Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the B&N Mystery Forum - Introduce Yourself!

Janet Rudolph once again has a topical list--this time of books with a Memorial Day tie-in:

Memorial Day Mysteries/Memorial Day Crime Fiction

If you're celebrating Memorial Day this weekend, you'll want to read one or all these special Crime Novels set during the holiday.  Memorial Day in the U.S. is part of a three day holiday weekend. Many think of this weekend as the beginning of Summer, a time for Barbecues (Barbecue Mysteries), the Beach, the Cabin, and S'mores, but the true meaning of Memorial Day aka Decoration Day is a day of remembrance of those who fell to protect us, of those who didn't come home. Many people go to cemeteries and memorials on the last Monday in May. There is a tradition to fly the flag at half mast and wear poppies, although since that's a WWI observance, not sure if it still happens.

So here's the list. Let me know if I've forgotten any titles. You may also want to check out my Veterans Day Mystery List.

Memorial Day Mysteries

Memorial Day by Vince Flynn
The Decoration Memorial Day War by David H. Brown
Absolute Certainty by Rose Connors
Memorial Day by Harry Shannon
Shadows at the Fair by Lea Wait
The Memorial Day Mystery short stories on the web.

For the young set: The Mystery of the Memorial Day Fire by Kathryn Kenny, a Trixie Belden mystery.

Have a good holiday. Be safe and Remember.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Mystery Scene header

Indian Paintbrush

Indian Paintbrush, the state flower of Wyoming.

Greetings!

Hi everyone, Wyoming is the least populous state in the US, but I would bet that C.J. Box's novels have set more than a few mystery readers daydreaming of a new life out west. Our talk with this articulate and ardent proponent of Wyoming will only fan the flames - westward, ho! 

Other treats in this issue include Kevin Burton Smith's ode to the "Hot Rides of Private Eyes Past," Martin Edward's examination of Dorothy L. Sayers' real-life detective skills, and a talk with former journalist-turned-novelist Brad Parks

Lynn Kaczmarek chats with Erin Hart about her atmospheric mysteries set in Ireland, and Brian Skupin catches up with Linda Barnes, who is making a welcome return to crime writing after ending her Carlotta Carlyle series a few years back. Old Time Radio fans will be interested in Michael Mallory's tribute to the Inner Sanctum Mystery program. 

Every issue of Mystery Scene celebrates the work of crime writers. But to do that, another sort of writer is required - a critic. Critics seldom get the plaudits they routinely hand out to others, but we're happy to report thatOline H. Cogdill received the 2013 Raven Award from the Mystery Writers of America at this year's Edgar Awards Banquet. Oline always brings a discerning eye and a love of the genre to her work, whether she's writing for Mystery Scene or for her nationally syndicated review column. Well done, Oline! Don't miss Betty Webb's wide-ranging conversation with Oline in this issue about the ins-and-outs of a literary critic's life. 

Best,
Kate Stine
Editor in chief

#129, Spring 2013

#129, Spring 2013

CONTENTS

I recently bought that issue of Mystery Scene, becke. Really enjoyed the article about Dorothy Sayers, who,  being one of the English grande dames of the mystery genre, is one of my favorite authors. The article mainly deals with the research she did into real crimes and how she utilized those in her fiction. I had never seen the portrait of her that accompanied the article, and have to say I really liked it as it seemed to indicate more of the type of insuciance one would associate with the creator of Lord Peter Wimsey. Other photos or pictures of her are not very flattering or revealing of her character.

Fricka - I have that article bookmarked (well, I folded the corner of the page) but I haven't had a chance to read it yet. My to-be-read pile extends to magazines, too, these days!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

To Holly:

One of the disadvantages of missing out on the forum for even a few days. I don't know what's happened in Holly's life, but I join in sending my sympathy anyway.

I don't want to post about it on the board without Holly's permission, but I'll send you a private message. I saw some worrying posts on her Facebook page and asked her about it. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Well, I have been reading a lot of cozy mystery books that prominently feature cats, so thought I should even things out a bit. I just finished reading Brute Strength by Susan Conant. Anyone who has read any of Susan's previous books featuring Holly Winter, her Alaskan Malamutes(Kotzebue) Rowdy, Kimi, and Sammy will enjoy this latest. Besides all the great dogs, there are human family and friends making appearances in this book including Holly's psychiatrist friend Rita and Rita's Scottish terrier Willie;

Holly's cousin Leah; Holly's husband Steve and his dogs(now part of Holly's pack) India the German Shepherd and Lady the pointer. Plus, Holly's dad Buck, his wife Gabrielle, and her Bichon Frise Molly. Don't want to spoil the plot line, but just wanted to note it was a real joy to revist Holly and her pack, both Canine and Human.

Brute Strength  

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Sorry, that last post was intended for the What Are You Reading Now? Thread.

However, I would like to add that FINALLY Susan has gotten a cover where the Dog on the cover actually is a representative of the Alaskan Malamute breed, NOT a Siberian Husky. This may seem like a minor point, as most readers might not really know the difference, but Susan has her protagonist, Holly Winter, waxing eloquent in all of the mysteries featuring the noble breed includeing Holly's dogs Rowdy, Kimi, and in later books, Rowdy's son Sammy. I would like to add that everything I know about the Malamute, I learned from reading these books. Therefore, it was always an annoying jolt to see represented on the cover art, NOT Malamutes, but instead clearly a Husky. We've discussed on this forum before other authors whose cover art misrepresents the characters in the books, most notably Mrs. Jeffries from Emily Brightwell's series of mysteries. It makes me wonder just how some of the editors of these brands of books keep their jobs. As far as I'm concerned, no one who ever actually read any of Susan's books would have made the glaring error of putting the wrong breed of dog on the cover, unless the person is really incompetent or perhaps downright malicious. I note that this last book of Susan's has been published from a different House than her previous mystery novels featuring Holly and her Malamutes. becke, I don't think we've ever had Susan here to discuss her books, but if you could get her to join us, I think it would be a good thing.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Sorry, that last post was intended for the What Are You Reading Now? Thread.

However, I would like to add that FINALLY Susan has gotten a cover where the Dog on the cover actually is a representative of the Alaskan Malamute breed, NOT a Siberian Husky. This may seem like a minor point, as most readers might not really know the difference, but Susan has her protagonist, Holly Winter, waxing eloquent in all of the mysteries featuring the noble breed includeing Holly's dogs Rowdy, Kimi, and in later books, Rowdy's son Sammy. I would like to add that everything I know about the Malamute, I learned from reading these books. Therefore, it was always an annoying jolt to see represented on the cover art, NOT Malamutes, but instead clearly a Husky. We've discussed on this forum before other authors whose cover art misrepresents the characters in the books, most notably Mrs. Jeffries from Emily Brightwell's series of mysteries. It makes me wonder just how some of the editors of these brands of books keep their jobs. As far as I'm concerned, no one who ever actually read any of Susan's books would have made the glaring error of putting the wrong breed of dog on the cover, unless the person is really incompetent or perhaps downright malicious. I note that this last book of Susan's has been published from a different House than her previous mystery novels featuring Holly and her Malamutes. becke, I don't think we've ever had Susan here to discuss her books, but if you could get her to join us, I think it would be a good thing.

The first dog I ever had was a Malamute. I didn't have him for long - my uncle was given the dog by a bartender, not realizing what breed the puppy was until later. I kept her (at my aunt and uncle's house) for the summer, but then they found her a home in Northern Michigan, where she had lots of room to run. I think they're a VERY distinctive breed!

It drives me nuts when book covers either show things that aren't in the book or get details wrong. Readers notice these things!!

You're right - we've never had Susan here. I don't know her personally but I'll see if I can get a hold of her. If any authors who know Susan happen to see this, let me know!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

We have a lot of guest authors visiting this month and over the summer. I can't continue Got Books? as it was before - I'm on a shoestring budget at the moment - but I'll do a drawing using names of those of you who have commented on the guest author threads, so a couple of you will get some books before long!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

One day...

[ Edited ]

English Riviera News

FABULOUS LINE-UP ANNOUNCED FOR AGATHA CHRISTIE FESTIVAL

src="https://i1.createsend1.com/ei/r/44/C27/580/csimport/ERTC-AC-Montage-Tile-updated-TOUSE.144513.jpg" border="0" width="579" height="342" />

The English Riviera Tourism Company today announced its best line-up of stars ever, a big programme of glamorous events and a brand-new event hub for the Agatha Christie Festival  (15th – 22nd September 2013).

Celebrating the life of the Queen of Crime is what it’s all about. Agatha Christie was born in Torquay and the world-famous festival has Devon’s English Riviera buzzing with visitors from around the globe. Walking off with two prestigious awards last year including Visit Devon’s  Tourism Event of the Year accolade, this year’s festival is expected to be an absolute sell-out.

For the first time in 2013 there will be a vibrant ‘Festival Hub’ at the sea-facing Grand Hotel in Torquay where Agatha Christie stayed on her honeymoon.  Festivalgoers will also be able to visit Greenway, her beautiful holiday residence stunningly located on the banks of the idyllic River Dart and can also meet Agatha Christie’s grandson, Mathew Prichard as well as the enigmatic Hercule Poirot (Martin Gaisford).

TOP AUTHORS

A trio of world-class authors will include Kate Mosse and Simon Brett plus top crime and thriller writer, Val McDermid with some exciting literary events.

VAL MCDERMID HEADLINES THE 2013 AGATHA CHRISTIE FESTIVAL LITERARY DINNER

From the Queen of Crime to the acknowledged queen of the psychological thriller, this year's festival is pleased to announce that top-billing crime and thriller author Val McDermid will be appearing at the Festival’s Literary Dinner at Torquay's Grand Hotel.  McDermid is a top ten best seller and has been translated into over 30 languages. Val's latest novel, Cross and Burn, her 27th novel will be out in October 2013.

Val’s appearance is expected to be a big draw, so get your tickets now for this fabulous 3-course literary dinner!

Thursday 19th September, 6.30pm

VAL MCDERMID - BEST SELLING AUTHOR

src="https://i2.createsend1.com/ei/r/44/C27/580/csimport/ValMcDermid.125323.jpg" border="0" width="300" height="212" />

A regular broadcaster with BBC Radio, Val’s five-part Woman's Hour drama Village SOS, was broadcast on BBC Radio 4.   In 2011 Val also presented BBC Radio 4 serial The Chalet School, in which she talked about how the series of books inspired her education and career. She has presented Pick of the Week on BBC Radio 4 and has fronted several features for BBC Two’s The Culture Show.  The popular ITV series Wire in the Blood, based on McDermid’s books and starring Robson Green as Tony Hill, ran for an impressive six series. A 3-part ITV drama of Val’s A Place of Execution was broadcast in the autumn of 2007 to great critical acclaim and won the 2010 Edgar Award for Best Screenplay. Val recently had her first children’s book published – My Granny is a Pirate!  Spectacularly successful festival appearances followed creating a new, and somewhat younger, following.

KATE MOSSE AND SIMON BRETT STARRING ON THE FESTIVAL’S LITERARY PANEL

src="https://i3.createsend1.com/ei/r/44/C27/580/csimport/KateMosse.122907.png" border="0" width="152" height="231" />

This is another must-see, top event as best-selling authors Kate Mosse and Simon Brett join the Agatha Christie Festival as special guests for a Literary Panel event at the Grand Hotel, Torquay.  Both authors will be talking about inspirations they have drawn from Agatha Christie. David Brawn, Publisher at HarperCollins, publishing Agatha Christie since 1926, will join Kate and Simon.

Kate Mosse (pictured) is the best-selling author of Labyrinth, which was translated into more than 37 languages and recently appeared on television as a two-part adaptation on Channel 4.  In October 2007, the second novel in the Languedoc Trilogy was published. Sepulchre was also a No.1 bestseller in the UK and an international bestseller. The third in the Languedoc trilogy, Citadel was published in October 2012. 

Simon Brett is a well-loved and prolific writer of whodunnits having penned the Charles Paris, Mrs Pargeter and Fethering series of crime novels.  He is also responsible for a number of radio and television series such as No Commitments and After Henry.  Simon is a member of the Detectives Club, of which Agatha Christie was a founding member.
Early booking is also recommended for the Literary Panel.
Friday 20th September, 7.30pm

STOP PRESS!

Agatha Christie’s grandson, Mathew Prichard, will be hosting a special event with a mystery guest  (further details to be announced) on Thursday, 19th September from 4 - 5pm at the Festival Hub at Torquay’s Grand Hotel.

BOOK NOW!

There's a huge range of events to attend and many visitors do attend six or more of them during the week.  Celebrations, dressing-up, glamour, elegant dining and literary fun are all on the menu so savvy visitors check the programme and book their favourites well in advance. 

To browse events visit www.englishriviera.co.uk/agathachristie and you can book by calling 01803-211211.

MORE NEW EVENTS FOR 2013

NEW!  Cocktails, Costumes, Cake and Cole Porter
Time to put on your glad rags and enjoy a birthday celebration for the Queen of Crime at her honeymoon hotel. Enjoy a themed cocktail and a piece of Delicious Death cake before enjoying a sing-along with a Cole Porter trio, who've come to the festival especially all the way from Paris.
Sunday 15th September, 6.00pm

NEW!  An Archaeologist's View of Northern Iraq in the 1950s
The English Riviera’s home of archaeology, Kents Cavern, hosts a three course dinner, tour of the caves and talk from eminent archaeologist Dr Joan Oates, who worked at Nimrud with Max Mallowan and his wife Agatha Christie-Mallowan. With a brief introduction to Nimrud, the talk will focus on their Friday picnics including visits to the Yezidi ‘Spring Festival’, the monastery at Al Qosh and picnics in Kurdistan. There will be a wine reception.
Tuesday 17th September, 6.30pm

NEW!  1940s-1950s party aboard the Fairmile
It’s time to put down your pens and reading books, relax and dress up on for a 1940s and 50s soiree aboard the WWII 1940s heritage ship the Fairmile. There'll be music from the era with canapés and a welcome glass of bubbly served while you cruise around South Devon's beautiful bay.
Wednesday 18th September, 7pm departure from Torquay, 8pm departure from Paignton

NEW AND EXCLUSIVE!  Cream Tea and First Editions at Greenway
Visit Greenway behind closed doors for this exclusive event designed specifically for the Agatha Christie Festival. Travel on the Agatha Christie Vintage Bus to Greenway where for the FIRST TIME ever you will be able to hold their collection of Agatha Christie first editions (with gloves of course!). Cream teas will be served.
Monday 16th September, 11.30am, 1.00pm and 2.30pm

THEATRE: Go Back For Murder - Opening Night
Guarantee yourself great seats for the opening night of this year's production from the official Agatha Christie Theatre Company at the Princess Theatre, Torquay.
Suspects, secrets, and red herrings abound in this thrilling new production.
Monday 16th September, 7.30pm

A FEW FESTIVAL FAVOURITES

Long-standing Festival Favourites are:

FESTIVAL FAVOURITE: Burgh Island Lunch with Island Walk
Dress in appropriate period attire and visit the famous Art Deco retreat where Agatha wrote Evil Under the Sun & And Then There Were None; enjoy a period lunch with classic dishes from the ‘20s and ‘30s and end with a grand tour of the island itself, including the hotel’s private grounds, during which Gary “McBar” will point out the significant markers in Christie’s writing history.
Tuesday & Thursday 17th & 19th September, 12.30 for 1 pm – ends 3.30 pm.

FESTIVAL FAVOURITE: Murder Mystery on the Dining Train
Board the Riviera Belle Dining Train for an evening of murder and mystery in conjunction with the Candlelight Theatre Company. You will be greeted on the platform with a glass of sparkling wine. Cuisine will be provided by Hennessy Restaurant, Torquay. Let time pass you by as you prepare to savour a new and exciting gastronomic experience, but be on your guard at all times...
Tuesday & Saturday 17th & 21st September, 7.30pm
Blissful trips to Greenway are another of the many highlights with fans travelling by steam train; riverboat and vintage bus to enjoy spending time at the home Agatha Christie called ‘The loveliest place in the world’.

For lots more about the famous Agatha Christie Festival and to book your tickets now, please visit the dedicated website at:www.englishriviera.co.uk/agathachristie

Main Festival sponsor HarperCollins has been publishing Agatha Christie’s novels since 1926.

Ends

Notes for Editors:

Dr Joan Oates FBA is a Senior Research Fellow of the McDonald Institute for Archaeological Research, University of Cambridge and a Life Fellow of Girton College. Her publications include: Babylon, 1979, 1986, 2005; Nimrud, an Assyrian City Revealed, 2001, 2004; Excavations at Tell Brak 1997, 2001, and over 120 articles in books and journals. Dr Oates is also known for major contributions to the prehistory of Iraq.

Hi-res photos available on request
or visit www.englishrivieraimages.co.uk
New English Riviera blog  http://www.englishrivieranews.com/
Destination website www.englishriviera.co.uk

The English Riviera welcomes journalists – please get in touch for assistance in arranging your visit and itinerary.

Contact Anita Newcombe
Anita Newcombe Media & PR
info@anitanewcombemedia.co.uk
07718-884482
01803-850886

Contact Lydia Stone
English Riviera Tourism Company
lydia.stone@englishriviera.co.uk
01803-219524

Launched in October 2010 the ERTC is a new private sector-led public/private tourism partnership leading on the official promotion of the English Riviera as a leading UK resort and overseeing the effective delivery of the 2010-2015 Turning the Tide for Tourism in Torbay Strategy.  To download a copy of the strategy please visit: www.englishriviera.co.uk/ertc ; Please note that the ERTC is a company controlled by the Council of the Borough of Torbay.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Re: One day...

Ohhhhh, reading about that Agatha Christie Festival makes me drool. Sadly, I just don't have the funds to afford to go this year, but hopefully that will change in the future. becke, have you ever gotten to go? Would like to read about your impressions if you have.

By a strange sort of coincidence, as I was channel surfing late at night recently, I happened to land on my local PBS station, and it featured Agatha Christie. It dealt a lot more with Agatha's private life than I have previously read, including her tumultuous marriage to Archie Christie, and the strained relationship she had with her daughter. Towards the end of the program, the books Agatha wrote as Mary Westmacott were menitioned, and the point was made that while readers could get few clues about Agatha's personal feelings in her mysteries, the Mary Westmacott books give more possible insight into her view of life.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Ohhhhh, reading about that Agatha Christie Festival makes me drool. Sadly, I just don't have the funds to afford to go this year, but hopefully that will change in the future. becke, have you ever gotten to go? Would like to read about your impressions if you have.

By a strange sort of coincidence, as I was channel surfing late at night recently, I happened to land on my local PBS station, and it featured Agatha Christie. It dealt a lot more with Agatha's private life than I have previously read, including her tumultuous marriage to Archie Christie, and the strained relationship she had with her daughter. Towards the end of the program, the books Agatha wrote as Mary Westmacott were menitioned, and the point was made that while readers could get few clues about Agatha's personal feelings in her mysteries, the Mary Westmacott books give more possible insight into her view of life.

I've never gone, but it's on my Bucket List! Maybe next year - who knows?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Thanks to Debbie for a timely blog: http://thereadingfrenzy.blogspot.com/2013/05/rip-father-andrew-greeley-unique-voice.html

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-funeral-wake-set-for-fr-andrew-greeley-2013060...

Funeral, wake set for Fr. Andrew Greeley

11:00 a.m. CDTJune 1, 2013

Funeral arrangements have been announced for the Rev. Andrew Greeley, the outspoken Chicago priest, novelist and sociologist who died this week at age 85.

A wake for the Rev. Greeley is scheduled for 3 to 8 p.m. Tuesday at Christ the King Catholic Church, 9235 S. Hamilton Ave.

Visitation is scheduled for 9:30 a.m. to noon, Wednesday, with a funeral Mass following at noon, also at Christ the King.

Greeley had been an assistant pastor at Christ the King early in his priesthood and has long been associated with the parish.

Greeley died Wednesday night at his home at the John Hancock Center, several years after fracturing his skull in a fall at the Rosemont Blue Line "L" stop. An autopsy by the Cook County medical examiner's office found that he died from heart disease, with a contributing factor being the accidental head injuries he suffered in the fall.

Copyright © 2013 Chicago Tribune Company, LLC

More here:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/religion/ct-met-andrew-greeley-obituary-20130531,0,5124616.story

http://www.chicagotribune.com/videogallery/76108945/Video-Chicago-priest-novelist-critic-Andrew-Gree...

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Wow! I can finally SEE this forum for more than a nano-second! It's been frustrating trying to get on here just to read what other members have written, but I haven't even been able to do that. I would click on my bookmarked page for the Mystery Forum-- disappearing forum! I tried going through the Barnes and Noble home page and getting into the forum that way. I could get on the home page, but as soon as I started the process to shift to this area, again, poof! Has someone set the gnomes on me, becke, or have others been having the same problem?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Wow! I can finally SEE this forum for more than a nano-second! It's been frustrating trying to get on here just to read what other members have written, but I haven't even been able to do that. I would click on my bookmarked page for the Mystery Forum-- disappearing forum! I tried going through the Barnes and Noble home page and getting into the forum that way. I could get on the home page, but as soon as I started the process to shift to this area, again, poof! Has someone set the gnomes on me, becke, or have others been having the same problem?

Oh no, Fricka - not a NEW problem! I haven't heard of this one before. If any of the rest of you are experiencing similar problems, please let me know!

Curses, you gnomes, gremlins and trolls! 

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Hey Becke, Fricka's having problems with the forum again LOL

fingers crossed that she can get in soon

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Hey Becke, Fricka's having problems with the forum again LOL

fingers crossed that she can get in soon

Oh rats, not again! I've been worried about her - I don't think those fires in Phoenix are very far from her. As if it's not hot enough there already!!

New User
Kj50MN
0 Kudos

Hi I am new to the book club. Actually I have never been a book club member before so I am not sure what happens or what to expect. I am currently reading Michael Connelly - Harry Bosch series. I am a big fan of Janet Evanovich, I love her humor.

I like reading mystery and look forward to learning more about other great authors.

Anyone else reading anything good?

Kj50MN

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Kj50MN wrote:

Hi I am new to the book club. Actually I have never been a book club member before so I am not sure what happens or what to expect. I am currently reading Michael Connelly - Harry Bosch series. I am a big fan of Janet Evanovich, I love her humor.

I like reading mystery and look forward to learning more about other great authors.

Anyone else reading anything good?

Kj50MN

Hi, KJ - Thanks for joining us! This is more of a forum than a traditional book club, mainly because authors often join us on their release dates. Because of this, most of us read the books either while the authors are visiting or after they visit. It's a great place to learn about new books and to find new authors to read. Thanks for joining us!

Becke

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Happy Birthday to Holly!

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3

Happy Birthday, Holly!!!  Hope everything is going well!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

Happy Birthday, Holly!!!  Hope everything is going well!

OOoh - so pretty, Dulcinea!