Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
WstTxBluebonnet
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

Thanks!  I think it's great that things are not "traditional."  Sounds like a lot of fun.  I will look at the January Extravaganza to see what choices I'd like to make.  I have a tendancy to like mysteries with a forensic twist.  I've read and enjoyed James Patterson, Laura Lippman; I've read the Eve Duncan series, and I do enjoy Kathy Reichs.  I'm very open to a variety of authors within the genre.  Look forward to discussions with the members of this thread! 

Contributor
WstTxBluebonnet

I've read all of them except the last one...200 something(can't remember the number) Bones.  Anyway, the number is the number of bones in the body.  I like them although they can be somewhat repetitive at times.  I enjoy them because they are based on her real life as a forensic anthropologist.  She's got all kinds of settings from an airplane crash in a remote mountain area; to Guatemala and the mass burial graves there as a result of the political upheaval in that government, to swamp in South Carolina, home to an alligator named Alice.  The actual technical expertise in her stories make the books interesting to me because she has lived the life of a forensic anthropologist!  I hope this post helps or speaks to some of what you have in mind! 

Contributor
WstTxBluebonnet
0 Kudos

Thank you! I've read some of the Eve Duncan books, but I've got the whole library!  I've read some of the Patricia Cornwell as well.  She's kind of who directed me in the forensic direction because after I read Body Farm, I wanted to find out about the Body Farm so I read the two non-fiction books out by the Dr. Bass.  Those two were great reads!  But, this isn't a non-fiction thread.  I will try Christopher Golden...first time I've stumbled on that name...that I can remember!!! :smileyhappy::smileyhappy

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Have you visited Robin Burcell's thread here? She's one of our featured authors in January -- not only is she a great author, but in real life she is a forensic artist for the FBI. Check out her posts. She's got some fascinating stories to tell!

Author
WS_Gager
0 Kudos

I think so. I should be working right now but was just doing a quick check of the email, then it will only take a minute to look at the blog.  . . . then all time is gone. I AM going back to work!!!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I should be writing a garden article right now but -- like you -- I had to check in and see what was happening here. Hard to focus on plants when all I see is white when I look out the window.

Author
Jimcolombo
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the group. I love reading mysteries with Agatha Christie being my favorite. I also love writing them. I'm fortunate to have my first book the Keys to the Vault published and available here on BN.com! I'll look forward to talking with you about books! 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

The Keys to the Vault 

Welcome to the Mystery Book Club, Jim!

Author
Jimcolombo
0 Kudos

Thanks-it a pleasure to feel welcome and be included. Let's have some fun!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Ooh, a new victim uh, I mean member to the club.

Welcome Jim, we have great fun here. Becke is great!!!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Debbie - you are too kind.

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

WstTxBluebonnet wrote:

I've read all of them except the last one...200 something(can't remember the number) Bones.  Anyway, the number is the number of bones in the body.  I like them although they can be somewhat repetitive at times.  I enjoy them because they are based on her real life as a forensic anthropologist.  She's got all kinds of settings from an airplane crash in a remote mountain area; to Guatemala and the mass burial graves there as a result of the political upheaval in that government, to swamp in South Carolina, home to an alligator named Alice.  The actual technical expertise in her stories make the books interesting to me because she has lived the life of a forensic anthropologist!  I hope this post helps or speaks to some of what you have in mind! 

206 Bones - referring to the number of bones in the adult human body.
206 Bones (Temperance Brennan Series #12)  
"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reminder - I haven't read this one, either.

Author
Jimcolombo
0 Kudos

Thanks Debbi for the warm wishes. HeHe "victim" at a mystery site ... I like that! Sounds like there could be a book in that. 

I've read some of Kathy Reichs, but not 206 Bones. I guess I need to get busy.

Jim

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Since I like everyone else's to-be-read piles to be as towering as mine, let me suggest other authors, too. If you like forensic mysteries you should first of all stop by Robin Burcell's thread this month, since she is a forensic artist for the FBI in addition to being a mystery author.

And if you like Kathy Reichs, you might also enjoy books by Patricia Cornwell, Christopher Golden (his forensic series -- he has several series), Iris Johansen, Jeffrey Deaver -- in fact, I won't stop there. Libraries often have lists of recommended books by topic and, sure enough, I found a couple right off the bat:

http://www.sos.mo.gov/wolfner/bibliographies/forensicmysteries.asp

http://thelibrary.org/booklist/titles_jackets.cfm?catid=381

http://www.librarything.com/tag/forensic+mystery

Author
Jimcolombo
0 Kudos

whoo! - I just found my missing copy of Mystery Mile by Margery Allingham. It had gone missing for a bit. I was thinking of reading it again, but I really have pages to write on my second manuscript. Well maybe a quick read wouldn't hurt!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'm not as addicted to Allingham as I am to some of the other Golden Age authors, but I remember liking this one a lot:

The Tiger in the Smoke

Author
Jimcolombo
0 Kudos

I have not read Tiger in the Smoke as of yet, but I'll add it to my list. Mystery Mile was the only Allingham that I have read and I thought it was entertaining. But it's been a while which is why I thought I should read it again instead of working on my own manuscript! :smileyhappy:)

Thanks for the tip!

Jim

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Oh, and how could I forget TETHER'S END -- another favorite! (I always spell her name wrong!)

Tether's End

Reader 2
Lou2
0 Kudos

I am a most confused new member.  I think I did this a number of years ago but only read, did not post.  Now I find myself recovering from a total knee replacement of the right knee.  I came through the surgery exceedingly well--walked out of the hospital using a cane that I tossed last week.  Today is the two-week anniversary of my surgery and I am going stir crazy.

About me: I am a retired teacher/professor, having taught for 44 years at the junior high, senior high,and finishing up at a community college.  I love to read but want  to be able to discuss what I read with others and my book club meets monthly.  I need more.

I have just finished--within the hour--The Red Door.  The novel brings to us a more mature and stable Ian Rutledge, one whom I like better than the Ruttledge who suffers from the intrusive Hamish so much so that he has trouble making decisions because of it.  Yet, the growth of Rutledge shows the dangers faced by those injuries not visible to the eye, the inability of civilians to accept the problems caused within a soldier's mind, and what can happen as a soldier slowly recovers (if he ever does completely) from the horrific experiences on the battle field.

This is, perhaps, the most intricately plotted novel in the series thus demanding readers to pay attention to the clues, the characters, and the red herrings.  Like most Rutledge novels, the plot develops slowly just as life was lived in those days, and I like that; indeed, it is one of the reasons I read these books. Having said that, I know there are those who feel it has too many twists and turns.  I hope to get into some of their reasons and also to talk about character development.

By the way, is the Billy Woods part of the novel necessary?

I look forward to reading others' views.