Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
WS_Gager
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

If you love Grandma Mazur in Janet's book, you will love Elsie who gives the what for to my crime beat reporter Mitch Malone. She is sharp and savy and just loves her dead husband Elmer. You will have to read it and let me know if she rates up there with Grandma Mazur. Oh, duh, the book is A Case of Accidental Intersection by W.S. Gager. Have a great Saturday!

Reader 2
NookaholicIL
0 Kudos

Thanks for the recommendation...I'll give your book a try soon!!   I'm always up for new authors and books!

Reader 2
NookaholicIL
0 Kudos

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm really excited about joining this club...I had no idea BN offered such a thing...I'm loving Kate Carlisle's books (I started the 2nd one this am) and will look at her discussions!

Reader 2
NookaholicIL
0 Kudos

Thanks for the welcome...I'm glad to have found this club.  The IL does stand for my state.  I live in the suburbs of Chicago.  I've never read Sayers but have read about her and intend to read her books some day!!

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

MyLibraryCardWoreOut wrote:

I know this might be a little off topic but I found these really cute videos by the muppets. One of them was for valentines day. It was really cute and I just have to share them. 

On my blog I do Fun Day Friday and I shared the Ode to Joy on Friday and the other one on 4th of July. Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpcUxwpOQ_A&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDA9NbPAK8o&feature=player_embedded

Enjoy.

MyLibraryCardWoreOut

www.mylibrarycardworeout.wordpress.com

Hi. mylibrarycardworeout.....We love The Muppet Babies ..Still have VCR Edition of so many of them "The Muppets Take Manhattan " A FamilY fave...Jim Henson was a Genius..Thanks for the links  I sent them off to my daughter..(26)  She laughed...I still have her Kermit and Miss Piggy Stuffed Animals..It's Always a Mystery..:  )..Susan Vtc

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

LoisWinston wrote:

becke_davis wrote:
Lois - Do I have the right version here?

That's the right video, Becke, but it looks like you need to adjust the aspect ratio a bit. The right side is getting cut off, so some of the copy isn't readable.

Lois - It's showing up when I edit the post, but when I publish it, it's chopped off. I just inserted the YouTube embed code - do I need to tweak something in the code? Sorry - I'm relatively clueless about HTML - I know just enough to be dangerous.

Yay!!!! Thank you friend for me, Lois -- it worked!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

LoisWinston wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Lois - It's showing up when I edit the post, but when I publish it, it's chopped off. I just inserted the YouTube embed code - do I need to tweak something in the code? Sorry - I'm relatively clueless about HTML - I know just enough to be dangerous.

Becke, you probably know a great deal more than I do about such things, but I had the same problem when I went to upload the video to my blog. Rayna Vause, Goddess of All Things Techno, told me how to manipulate the code:

"tweak the video embed code slightly. It's really simple.  In the last line of coding before the tags that read </embed></object> you'll see the width and height settings. I'd suggest setting width to 200 and height to 180. You can adjust it larger or small from there just by changing those setting."

This was for the sidebar of the blog. You'll probably want to make the numbers larger than that for this site but slightly smaller than what you now have. Just remember to maintain the ratio as much as possible. 

It worked!!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

LoisWinston wrote:

I remember I really liked Pigs Have Wings. And did you know one of the mottos of the town I live in is: Cincinnati, Where Pigs Fly?

I don't know if it's still in print, but several years ago there was a coffee table book published with all the photos of the decorated pigs that were done for Cincinnati. I believe it was called Pigopolis. I bought it as a birthday gift for a friend who collected pig figurines.

I bought that book! It's around here someplace . . .

becke_davis
0 Kudos

LoisWinston wrote:

I remember I really liked Pigs Have Wings. And did you know one of the mottos of the town I live in is: Cincinnati, Where Pigs Fly?

I don't know if it's still in print, but several years ago there was a coffee table book published with all the photos of the decorated pigs that were done for Cincinnati. I believe it was called Pigopolis. I bought it as a birthday gift for a friend who collected pig figurines.

Here it is:

The Big Pig Gig

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'll come back and finish responding to everyone in the a.m. - we're off to see DESPICABLE ME!

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Denisewithsabrina wrote:

Hey Fricka,

There’s nothing to apologize for! Half of the time I can’t remember my own name, especially when my daughter starts to call “Mommy!  Mommy!  Mommy!”…  And by the way, I happen to have three sisters, and my mother would call all of us by all of our names, no matter if fitting or not. Sometimes she would even throw in one of the dog’s names, meaning to call us girls.  

Anyway, it was nice enough (more than) that you took time to write me a reply.

I haven’t been as an avid Rex Stout reader as I have been of Christie’s, but after reading your post I remembered I did read Some Buried Caesar. And poor Nero Wolfe thought that then indignity of riding a car was all the indignity he was about to endure! As for The Black Orchid and In the Best of Families, I am not sure if I read them or not. I need to check. I do remember there was a restaurant that Wolfe considered worthy of him being a patron of.

My sister Milene is addicted to Rex Stout’s books and she has a bunch of them. Maybe I’ll read one or two while I’m in Brazil during the next few weeks.

But one thing intrigues me most of all. A Quiche Muffin?? Maybe it’s my low carb diet making me miss my carbs like crazy, but oh-my-gosh do I feel like trying one right now! Is it worthy of a visit to Cincinnati?  

As for inventive dishes, last weekend we were at this English Pub and I had a Scotch Egg, which is a hard boiled egg coated in ground sausage and breaded, then deep fried. I know it sounds weird; well, it is weird, but it is SO good! And I don’t even like hard-boiled eggs that much.

Maybe Becke is familiar with it.

By the way, Becke, your Peanut butter and Jelly sandwich made me smile. So American too! Not what we usually sample when hanging out with you. As for me, I don’t think I have ever had one. I’m not too fond of Peanut Butter. I would lean more towards a regular Butter and Jelly sandwich myself.

Oh-oh! I’m hungry again. Better avoid too many of these gastronomical discussions!

Well, maybe not before salivating over some Cold Lobster Salad Bertie had at Blandings once…

You guys be good,

Oh, yum - Scotch Eggs with Branston pickle - those and Ploughman's lunches were staples of pub food when I lived in the London area. My husband tells me the pubs are very Americanized now, and Indian food is easier to find than fish and chips. I can get Branston here now, but I've yet to see Scotch eggs in this country. Just as well - I don't think they are exactly low calorie!

True, peanut butter and jelly isn't our normal fare here. I'll see if I can find a picture of a Scotch egg for everyone.

Ok now that's just weird food. But hey I like fried pickles so who am I to talk.

But the Indian is understandable, beer goes better with spicy than greasy.

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Denisewithsabrina wrote:

Hi Jim,

Well, maybe I exaggerated a little bit when I said that so much gets lost in translation. The stories don't make more sense in English than in Portuguese. But when something is translated into another language, it does lose some of its original essence, for instance when idiomatic expressions don't have an equivalent in the language it is being translated into. Just like some "word jokes" that only make sense in English.

On the other hand, since words are the writer's media, and a book is the product of the writer's words and ideas artfully put together (such as yourself), being able to read it in the original language does make it more interesting, I think.

I am so glad I have finally met other people who read Wodehouse! Other than my father, nobody I know has ever read him. They really don't know what they are missing. I do laugh out loud too, and I remember "Uncle Fred in Springtime" brought me to tears - from so much laughter, of course. I think he is just as skilled as far as weaving through plots as Agatha Christie is, maybe even more so. How many different ways can a chap get in and out of trouble? Sometimes I am under the impression that Wodehouse himself did a great deal of laughing while he was writing. Which one of his books is your favorite?

I have had a difficulty finding Wodehouse through my local library, but hopefully I'll be able to pick one or two up as time goes by.  With the library cuts here in Michigan :womansad: I don't know how much I'll be able to get.  I already have my book budget spent in advance for the whole year!   *sigh*

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I know this might be a little off topic but I found these really cute videos by the muppets. One of them was for valentines day. It was really cute and I just have to share them. 

On my blog I do Fun Day Friday and I shared the Ode to Joy on Friday and the other one on 4th of July. Enjoy

Enjoy.

MyLibraryCardWoreOut

Off-topic is not a problem on this board, especially if you have something fun to share!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

WS_Gager wrote:

Will do but need a rainy day. My son is helping me but if the sun is shining then he can't be at the computer. Summer is all about being outdoors. Don't know where he got that from! I'm chained to the computer and need to follow him out more often!

We've had PLENTY of rain here in Cincinnati. We had so much rain the other day, I thought our house was going to float away!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

WS_Gager wrote:

If you love Grandma Mazur in Janet's book, you will love Elsie who gives the what for to my crime beat reporter Mitch Malone. She is sharp and savy and just loves her dead husband Elmer. You will have to read it and let me know if she rates up there with Grandma Mazur. Oh, duh, the book is A Case of Accidental Intersection by W.S. Gager. Have a great Saturday!

A Case of Accidental Intersection

Here's the link. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

NookaholicIL wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm really excited about joining this club...I had no idea BN offered such a thing...I'm loving Kate Carlisle's books (I started the 2nd one this am) and will look at her discussions!

Kate is wonderful - here are a couple pictures I took of her last year; the first was taken at Bouchercon and the photo of Kate and fellow Romance Bandit Donna MacMeans was taken at RWA National.

Boucher12.jpg
kate and donna.JPG
becke_davis
0 Kudos

NookaholicIL wrote:

Thanks for the welcome...I'm glad to have found this club.  The IL does stand for my state.  I live in the suburbs of Chicago.  I've never read Sayers but have read about her and intend to read her books some day!!

Jim Colombo, an author who is a regular here, lives in Joliet, and I'm originally from Chicago. I've lived in Cincinnati for a long time but I grew up in Elk Grove and I've lived all over the Northwest Suburbs. I still have a lot of family in Chi-town, including my son. Whereabouts do you live?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

Enjoy.

MyLibraryCardWoreOut

Hi. mylibrarycardworeout.....We love The Muppet Babies ..Still have VCR Edition of so many of them "The Muppets Take Manhattan " A FamilY fave...Jim Henson was a Genius..Thanks for the links  I sent them off to my daughter..(26)  She laughed...I still have her Kermit and Miss Piggy Stuffed Animals..It's Always a Mystery..:  )..Susan Vtc

I have a bunch of those Muppet movies from when my kids were young.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Dismantled 

Don't forget to stop in and say hi to this week's featured author, Jennifer McMahon, who is here by popular request!

Promise Not to Tell

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Enjoy.

MyLibraryCardWoreOut

Off-topic is not a problem on this board, especially if you have something fun to share!

Besides you CAN'T go wrong with the Muppets!:smileyvery-happy: