becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

Hi Bill and welcome to B&N's Mystery Book Club! While I wouldn't normally say I was especially fond of hard-boiled mysteries, I've read and enjoyed books by every author you mentioned. I guess, like a lot of readers, what I like at a particular moment may just depend on the mood I'm in. Sometimes I want a cozy or a romantic suspense, other times horror, hard-boiled or a Golden Age mystery.

New User
griffsx2
0 Kudos

I am new to this and thought that maybe I was in the wrong place, liking vampire  books...I am pleasantly surprised! I am already looking into The Historian. I read the Twilight series after a friend recommended it and loved it. Hadn't usually read that type of book. I have always been a suspense/mystery fan with a bit of romance mixed in. Right now, I am reading the Anita Blake series of Vampire Hunter novels by Laurell K. Hamilton...they are ok, but I am looking for my next great read! If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know.

New User
griffsx2
0 Kudos

Hi. I am new to the club and so excited. I am a fan of mystery/suspense with some romance mixed in. I was happy to see some other readers interested in vampire books. I have read a few vampire novels including the twilight series..that is what got me hooked...however, they are not the only books I am interested in. I am currently reading Laurell K. Hamilton's, Anita Blake/Vampire Hunter series but I am looking for my next great read..one of those books that you just don't want to put down and suddenly it is 1am and you have to get up for work in the morning...I am looking for suggestions.

Can't wait to get started.

-Rachael

Author
WS_Gager
0 Kudos

Hello everyone and Becke. W. S. Gager here. Becke I met you at Bouchercon and we had great fun until you ran off to dinner! Just kidding. Finally got a little caught up and was able to find your mystery blog. Can't wait to meet all of you and hear your thoughts on mysteries. I'm an author of mystery that just came out and it's available on Barnes and Noble. I also have a signing at the brand new Barnes and Noble at Woodland Mall in Grand Rapids, MI, if anyone wants to stop by and say hello. It will be a week from Tuesday from 6-8 p.m.

Thanks!

Link to book: http://books.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?WRD=a+case+of+infatuation&box=A%20Case&pos=4

becke_davis wrote:

Once upon a time, there was an introduction "thread" (subject field), but it seems to have vanished. We've had a lot of recent visitors who are new to Mystery, so I thought this would be a good time to bring it back.

My name is Becke Davis. I started with Barnes & Noble eight years ago, back in the days of their online university. At that time I wrote and taught gardening classes. I also moderate the Garden Book Club here, and I write the Garden Variety blog.

But I've also been a mystery lover, since I read a Weekly Reader book called The Secret of the Old Postbox at about age 8. Shortly after that, I discovered Nancy Drew. And when I was 15, Agatha Christie. No doubt about it, I was hooked. I've only become more addicted to mystery as I've gotten older -- and I'm a LOT older now. I'm also a fan of romantic suspense and romance, and we've had an ongoing discussion about the delicate balance between mystery-with-romance and romantic suspense. You'll find a thread for that discussion if you'd like to join in.

I also blog about romantic suspense and contemporary romance over at Romance B(u)y the Book, where you'll see another familiar face -- Michelle Buonfiglio, who blogs for B&N at Heart to Heart (H2H):http://tiny.cc/DvG8q   

I am a multi-published non-fiction author, but I'm still struggling as an unpublished fiction writer. I use the pen name Becke Martin, and many of you have friended me at MySpace and Facebook under that name. I also have a MySpace page under my real name, Becke Davis. You can follow my Barnes & Noble updates at Twitter: Becke_Davis and I also post my writing-related news at Becke_Martin.

My original plan was to keep my fiction writing career separate from my garden writing and B&N career, but that's becoming harder and harder to do. Sometimes I'm not sure who I am -- Becke Martin or Becke Davis -- and that was never more evident than when I attended the Romance Writers convention in Washington, DC last month.

Anyway, I've moderated the Mystery Book Club a long time  -- it feels like home. This isn't quite a chat room, but it's not a traditional book club either. I think of it as a group of mystery-loving friends getting together at my house to sit back and relax and talk about books. And not just books -- mystery movies and TV shows, too.

Readers and authors are welcome here, but if you are a new author I would ask you not to self-promote here. You can introduce yourself and post a link so people can order your book from B&N, but send me a personal message if you want to do more than that. It's a courtesy to our participants, who have had some bad experiences with new author spams.

If you're new, you're probably still trying to figure out how this all works. You can read without registering, but you have to sign up in order to comment. We have a lot of people viewing without commenting, and that's okay, too. I've already mentioned that this isn't the place to hawk your book, although I often invite authors to come talk about their books, and we all enjoy that. This is also not the place to slang an author or diss a book you didn't like. Call me Pollyanna, but I don't like name-calling or book-bashing here. That's not to say you aren't allowed to disagree, or say you didn't like a book, but please be courteous about it.

This is a great place -- you'll have to use your imagination a bit, but when you come to the Mystery Book Club, you're stepping into the library of my English manor house. The books line the walls, and there are library ladders to help us reach the top shelves. The floors are paneled with the same dark woods as the highly polished floors, but the sounds are muffled by the old Aubusson rugs.

As in most English manor houses, not everything matches. There is a Persian rug in muted tones in front of the fireplace, which contains blazing logs at all times of day and night. There are a couple of wing chairs near the fire, and there's a window seat with cushions on it under the leaded glass windows that overlook the garden. Occasionally, you'll be startled by the shriek of peacocks strutting around the grounds. 

The room is huge, with big leather Chesterfield sofas dividing the space and keeping it from feeling cold or impersonal. This allows us to break into groups -- if you look over in one corner, you'll see Ryan reading through all of Agatha Christie's works. In another part of the room, Debbie is curled up in one of the big leather armchairs with her dog in her lap and a hot romantic suspense book braced on the arm of the chair. Hank Phillippi Ryan is at the rolltop desk, writing busily at her computer. If you open the French doors and walk onto the balcony, you'll hear the echoes of blasts as Jeanne Adams blows things up behind the summerhouse. Next to the fireplace, Roberta Isleib is demonstrating sand trays to an interested reader, while a couple of cats wrestle each other under her chair.

We're pulling up chairs for authors Charles Salzberg and Laurence Klavan, who will be visiting with us on Tuesday, August 11. Nina Bruhns has left to go on an archaelogical dig, and I'm stretched out on a leather sofa, with a cup of milky tea and a couple Digestive biscuits next to me on the coffee table. An old black lab-mix dog is asleep on the floor next to me. There are so many books scattered across the coffee table, there's hardly room for my tea. I just got off the phone with my kids and I'm settling back with my book. I can hear soft footfalls as someone enters the room -- maybe it's you. Pick out a book, pull up a chair and join the group -- you're among friends here.

Message Edited by becke_davis on 08-09-2009 03:14 PM

becke_davis
0 Kudos

griffsx2 wrote:

I am new to this and thought that maybe I was in the wrong place, liking vampire  books...I am pleasantly surprised! I am already looking into The Historian. I read the Twilight series after a friend recommended it and loved it. Hadn't usually read that type of book. I have always been a suspense/mystery fan with a bit of romance mixed in. Right now, I am reading the Anita Blake series of Vampire Hunter novels by Laurell K. Hamilton...they are ok, but I am looking for my next great read! If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know.

You can find discussions of Twilight over at the Romantic Reads board, and a lot of other vamp-type books are there, too. There's also a Paranormal Book Club board here, which might be just the thing for you!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Rachael - Have you read anything by Charlaine Harris? I bet you'd like her books!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Wendy - It was fun hanging out with you at Bouchercon! I'm so glad you found your way over here!

A Case Of Infatuation by W. S. Gager: Book Cover

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/A-Case-of-Infatuation/W-S-Gager/e/9781892343581/?itm=1&USRI=w+s+gag...

Synopsis

Crime Beat Reporter Mitch Malone's rules are simple: He never lets the blood and guts he covers bother him. He always works alone. And he hates kids. 

Mitch breaks all three rules when he unwittingly agrees to smuggle a potential witness out of a suburban Michigan home while police investigate a mob-style-hit that's left two dead bodies. Mitch sends his intern (a real hottie, but nonetheless an interloper) to interview neighbors, hoping to throw her off, but when he finds the pint-sized survivor the killer overlooked, he decides she might be helpful. 

When the FBI accuses him of the murder, Mitch goes into hiding with the bombshell intern who doesn't talk and the precocious preschooler. Mitch works his contacts to regain his freedom from his roommates only to find they each hold keys to a bizarre story of disappearances, terrorists and the perfect hamburger recipe.

Review Blurb:

Great combination of gritty prose and sparkling dialogue along with a most intriguing and unusual plot makes W. S. Gager's debut crime novel a true page-turner. Highly recommended! --F. M. Meredith, author of No Sanctuary.

Author Bio:

W.S. Gager has lived in West Michigan for most of her life except 
for stints early in her career as a newspaper reporter and editor.
Now she enjoys creating villains instead of crossing police lines 
to get the story. She teaches English at a local college and is a 
soccer chauffeur for her children. During her driving time she spins 
webs of intrigue for Mitch Malone's next crime-solving adventure.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Hi griffsx2,

Becke mentioned Charlaine Harris, but have you tried JR Ward and her Black Dagger Brotherhood. You can find discussions about them on the romance board too.

If you like Vampire mystery with a darker side you might want to try Dacre Stoker's Dracula The Un Dead, he is the great grand-nephew of Bram Stoker. I really enjoyed it.

Here's my review from B&N:

dhaupt

I Also Recommend:

One of the Best Reads of 2009  Reader Rating See Detailed Ratings

Posted November 4, 2009, 10:17 AM EST: The stage is set, the characters have gathered and we the readers are very fortunate indeed to be able to witness the production. The time is 25 years after the grand adventure to Transylvania the characters are the survivors of that adventure with the addition of Quincy Harker and the production is non other than Dracula. Dacre Stoker and Ian Holt give us a new twist on the old story of Price Vlad Dracula. We get to see how the characters have faired in the past 25 years and we get to see the return of the most infamous of villains, but is the villain who we are led to believe or is there something or someone more sinister to deal with. And we get a rare chance to meet the author of the first novel as a character in this one. Mr.'s Stoker and Holt have given readers a most remarkable piece of literature. Fully intending it to be a sequel to the original written by his great-granduncle. They have hit the mark. How many times do we as readers wonder what becomes of the characters after their happy endings, how many times do we wish to be a fly on their wall to see them after the story has ended for us. Well now we get to do just that. In this rendition of Dracula we find ourselves in Europe just after the turn of the century and are able along with the characters in the book to discover the wonder or in some cases the disgust of the technological advances in the early part of the last century. We get to experience the culture of England and we get to share in the horrors of what's happening there. The characters are vivid and interesting and follow very closely to the feel we remembered from the original work. Quincy Harker makes an absolute wonderful hapless hero in the novel, followed closely by Mina and of course our Dark Prince. The authors have taken every care in learning their characters every nuance and delivered it onto the pages of their novel with care and expertness. The story/plot is unique and exciting filled with intense mystery and abject horror, they take your senses through many emotions not many of them easy to read. But read you will because this is a page turner, with dialogue that fits with the time, that describes the scenes so vividly that the reader can easily picture it in their minds and those pictures aren't for the faint of heart. So ask yourself. Are you prepared to be scared witless? Are you ready to believe again in the myth of Vampires? Are you ready to experience fear like you never have? Are you ready for a can't put it down page turner, a nail biting edge of your seat adventure? And are you prepared to have everything you've ever believed about Dracula to be shot to hell? Well if so and with a note from your doctor saying you can withstand the stress be prepared to read one of the best novels of 2009.

1 out of 1 people found this review helpful.

New User
griffsx2
0 Kudos

I haven't read any Charlaine Harris only because I have seen all of the episodes of True Blood, the HBO show based on her books...I have a hard time reading a book after seeing a movie or show. I prefer to read the book first. I just don't like reading books when I already know what happens...are the books the same as the show, if they are different then I would definately be interested.

New User
griffsx2
0 Kudos

WOW! This sounds great, just what I am looking for..it sounds like I will need to read the original story first. I can't wait to get started. Part of the excitement of reading a good book is just finding the right one.

New User
Ashley42
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Here's a mystery story for your kids:

Ghostnapped by Ashley Howland

Get ready for a ghastly, ghost-hunting mystery that will chill the very marrow in your bones! Ashley Howland makes her debut with a sensational spectral adventure that will ‘fright and delight’ kids and teens everywhere. 

Ten-year-old Alex loves to explore, but when her younger brother is mysteriously ghostnapped on their camping trip at the beach, it is up to Alex and her trusty Labrador, Thuds, to investigate her brother’s sudden disappearance. 

As she surveys the grassy hills and dangerous rocky cliffs near their camp, Alex uncovers a hidden secret to other disappearances that occurred at the very same campsite – over 50 years ago! 

A chilling mystery that can only be solved by Alex, Thuds, and a ghost girl named Susan, Ghostnapped! explores mysteries of the past, present and beyond the grave.

Cover Image

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?WRD=ghostnapped+ashley+howland&bnit=H&box=gh...

becke_davis
0 Kudos

This is off-topic, but I thought you might enjoy this. Author Lisa Dale is blogging about "punny" book titles here:  http://bit.ly/R8b3Q

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

See, this is why it pays to go back into a thread!  I loved "The Historian!"  I don't know if I'll get to "The Swan Thieves" right away or not - it's probably long.  I try to play the winter BINGO reading challenge with my local library over the winter months and this would not allow me to do that.  I have to finish a book a week!

dhaupt wrote:

tree_lover wrote:

It is long, but it is a wonderful book.  I was sorry that the author hadn't written anything since then.

She has a new one coming out in Jan

The Swan Thieves 

I can't wait

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

I keep picking up "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" to buy when I go to B&N (and Time Traveler's Wife), but end up buying something for my son instead.  *sigh*  I'll get there eventually.

becke_davis wrote:

The Girl Who Played with Fire Welcome to the Mystery Book Club! Well, in addition to our featured authors, a lot of people are recommending this series:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
New User
JDWebb
0 Kudos

Joining in, Becke. I'm a mystery author - I really should say author of mysteries but I am sometimes mysterious myself. I enjoy reading the greats of the craft. Was introduced to mysteries when i discovered Rex Stout's quirky and wonderful stories. Fer de Lance was the first one read.

We are Facebook friends. I write as J D Webb and am glad to be here.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi, J.D.! Unfortunately, your books don't seem to be available through B&N yet (and we can't promote other venues where it might be available), but I do love your titles -- especially this one:

My husband is English, and he CRAVES Shepherd's Pie at times. Great to see you here!

Contributor
speedcat
0 Kudos

Hi! My name is Elizabeth and I have loved reading mysteries ever since my first Nancy Drew books!

I've just finished reading Baldacci's The Camel Club, The Collectors and Stone Cold! All in about 6 days! I'm going to have to run out and get Divine Justice! Wow!

What a great story teller he is! I have enjoyed his books ever since I read his first book, Absolute Power.

Nice to find this place!

Elizabeth

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Elizabeth - great to see you here! I'm also a big fan of David Baldacci. This one is different from his others, but it's seasonal so you might want to try it, too:

The Christmas Train

Contributor
speedcat
0 Kudos

Thanks! I'll pick it up when I pick up Divine Justice!

Cheers,

Happy Thanksgiving,

Elizabeth in Long Beach

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hope you're all having a relaxing Thanksgiving Day!