Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
tree_lover
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

It was far from relaxing but it was good.  I hope you had a wonderful and relaxing Thanksgiving as well.

liz

http://nygirltrustnoone.blogspot.com/
becke_davis
0 Kudos

My son and his girlfriend invited us for Thanksgiving dinner. I could get used to this!

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

That was nice. I did host at my house again this year.

But I can see your point. Good for you!

Did you get more reading time in that way?

I love my company, it was great fun.

But not much reading time for me.

becke_davis wrote:

My son and his girlfriend invited us for Thanksgiving dinner. I could get used to this!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

So far, not as much reading as I hoped. We watched a couple of movies with my son and his girlfriend, though, so that was nice.

What books are you all reading this weekend?

Contributor
speedcat
0 Kudos

Thanksgiving Day was good! I cooked and this year's turkey was one of those "what a pretty turkey" when it came out of the oven - it looked as good as those on the tv commercials! LOL

I much prefer doing the cooking and having everyone come to my house - I hate the long drives - have paid my dues on that!

I started a Stepehen Cannell book, but fell asleep before I got through the first paragraph! Nothing on SC, I was just too tired to be reading! Will try it again tonight!

Cheers,

Elizabeth in Long Beach

becke_davis
0 Kudos

That's it - blame the triptopan from keeping us from reading! We've had a busy weekend shopping, visiting with relatives and lots of driving. I'll read on the drive home tomorrow, but overall I haven't read nearly as much as I thought I would this weekend!

Frequent Contributor
tree_lover
0 Kudos

Hi Becke,

Good for you.  I cooked this year and got no leisure reading done.  I had homework and assignments and tests to take for school on top of everything.  I'm glad you had a good time.

liz

http://nygirltrustnoone.blogspot.com/
becke_davis
0 Kudos

My son's girlfriend is a senior in college - both she and one of their roommates (who was with us for Thanksgiving) were doing homework and studying over the weekend. Not fun! Good luck with your studying!

pen21
0 Kudos

I am helping my college daughter with her C++ homework this weekend.

Good luck to all getting caught up on homework this weekend.

I am taking time to read Tempest Rising. good book.

Tempest Rising (Jane True Series #1)

Inspired Wordsmith
harleyhoney
0 Kudos

Deep Fried Turkey!

[ Edited ]

Ladies,

You must introduce your men to deep fried turkey.  Cooks fast.  Yummy skin and nice moist white meat.  My sons-in-law (who love to cook) tried this a couple of years ago and it's all we've had since.  And since it's outdoors cooking, the guys want to be totally in charge.  Fire, propane, a dead bird, camp chairs and beer!  Only one pick-up truck and I put my foot down about the rifles!  But definitely some very fine eats!

Wild About Turkey 

A Very Stuffed Nancy

"Somebody said they saw me swinging the world by the tail, bouncing over a white cloud, killing the blues."
Killing the Blues by Rowland Salley
Performed by Robert Plant and Alison Kraus on RAISING SAND
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Deep Fried Turkey!

harleyhoney wrote:

Ladies,

You must introduce your men to deep fried turkey.  Cooks fast.  Yummy skin and nice moist white meat.  My sons-in-law (who love to cook) tried this a couple of years ago and it's all we've had since.  And since it's outdoors cooking, the guys want to be totally in charge.  Fire, propane, a dead bird, camp chairs and beer!  Only one pick-up truck and I put my foot down about the rifles!  But definitely some very fine eats!

Wild About Turkey 

A Very Stuffed Nancy

Ahh but there are rules for frying turkeys.  Learn them first people, keep out of the emergency room during the holidays.

Inspired Wordsmith
harleyhoney
0 Kudos

Well stated, Tigger Bear!  A lot can go wrong and you are working with a lot of hot oil!  My guys, thankfully, are very safety savvy.  Use a proper turkey fryer and READ THE DIRECTIONS.  Have whatever you might need in case of an emergency close by.  But, don't let me scare anyone away.  Just use the right equipment and be smart and enforce the one beer limit.

Nancy

"Somebody said they saw me swinging the world by the tail, bouncing over a white cloud, killing the blues."
Killing the Blues by Rowland Salley
Performed by Robert Plant and Alison Kraus on RAISING SAND
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Tigger - why aren't you writing cookbooks? And have you discovered the Food book club here yet? Your posts always make me hungry!

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Tigger - why aren't you writing cookbooks? And have you discovered the Food book club here yet? Your posts always make me hungry!

Oh Dear Sweet Becke the food club section of the boards is and has alway been rather dead dead dead. A conversation on there goes nowhere. Ask a question mabey someone will chime in with hey I don't know either 6 months later. Better food talk on the Garden boards. 

Never even consided writing a cookbook. I think the market's rather saturated.

(chuckle) Sorry about that. :smileywink:

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

harleyhoney wrote:

Well stated, Tigger Bear!  A lot can go wrong and you are working with a lot of hot oil!  My guys, thankfully, are very safety savvy.  Use a proper turkey fryer and READ THE DIRECTIONS.  Have whatever you might need in case of an emergency close by.  But, don't let me scare anyone away.  Just use the right equipment and be smart and enforce the one beer limit.

Nancy

Two biggest mistakes: part of the turkey still frozen and too much oil in the pot. Forget the beer limit, you need a fryer sober buddy with you. Just like when you go out drinking if you are going to do it, one of you has to stay sober. That and a fire extinguisher. :smileyindifferent:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Tigger - there is a wonderful new food moderator: Allison Fishman. She's wonderful and sooo nice! But go ahead and post here and at garden, too. I love your food talk!

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Tigger - there is a wonderful new food moderator: Allison Fishman. She's wonderful and sooo nice! But go ahead and post here and at garden, too. I love your food talk!

Becke, go over and check recent post over there. Conversations, very short ones, mostly between me and her. It not the moderators fault per say. Just lack of traffic. (shrug)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Becke, go over and check recent post over there. Conversations, very short ones, mostly between me and her. It not the moderators fault per say. Just lack of traffic. (shrug)

That's so sad. I know she's really excited about her new gig here.

New User
bookwoman
0 Kudos

Name is Dottie - I lead a mystery reading group that meets at our local B&N.  Group has been together for over ten years and we have about 15 active members now.  Our next discussion is White Sky, Black Ice by Stan Jones.  It is set in a native village in Alaska and has an environmental theme.  We often choose titles set in other cultures since that gives us something to talk about beyond did you like the book and did you actually believe that ending?  We enjoy meeting authors, visiting books stores and eating - mostly chocolate.  A few of us went to Bouchercon when it was in Charm City - and got to meet your favorite -  Laura Lippman - who is a delight in person as well as in print.     White Sky, Black Ice (Nathan Active Series #1) 

dhaupt
0 Kudos

bookwoman wrote:

Name is Dottie - I lead a mystery reading group that meets at our local B&N.  Group has been together for over ten years and we have about 15 active members now.  Our next discussion is White Sky, Black Ice by Stan Jones.  It is set in a native village in Alaska and has an environmental theme.  We often choose titles set in other cultures since that gives us something to talk about beyond did you like the book and did you actually believe that ending?  We enjoy meeting authors, visiting books stores and eating - mostly chocolate.  A few of us went to Bouchercon when it was in Charm City - and got to meet your favorite -  Laura Lippman - who is a delight in person as well as in print.     White Sky, Black Ice (Nathan Active Series #1) 

Hi Dottie, I know you'll love it here. Becke our moderator is one classy chick and very knowledgeable about mysteries from A-Z. The book you're reading sounds really good. I'm going to have to give it a try.