Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Mystery Book Club - Introduce Yourself!

Hi Wendy! I was just thinking about you. Doesn't your book come out soon?

Reader
Susan50SE
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

There is an used an rare book store in my area.  Unfortunately, the owners are now going to retire and are closing the store after 50 years.  Right now they are selling all books at 50% off.  I bought some Dana Girls and Perry Mason books from the 30's. One of the newer authors I like is Carol O'Connell, she writes the Kathleen Mallory detective stories.  Have you even read these?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Yes, I've read ALL of those books. I kind of wish I'd waited until they were all published, because there was a big gap between the release dates of the earlier books. With a plot as complex as those, it was easy to loose track with a year in between. Even so, I kept coming back for more. Loved them!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hey Susan, I just want to apologize for editing your post, but we're not allowed to promote (or mention) other bookstores here, even used book stores (since B&N sells used books, too). Sorry about that!

Reader
Susan50SE
0 Kudos

No problem, didn't even think about it.  Just think its a sham that those older books will now be evener harder to find.  Have to read any of Kathy Reich's books?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I left it up for awhile so hopefully some participants here will have noted the name of the store. If anyone missed it, send Susan a personal message here.

I'm fascinated by forensic mysteries -- I've read all but the newest Kathy Reichs books, and all of Iris Johansen's Eve Duncan books, all but the most recent Patricia Cornwell books and all of Christopher Golden's Body of Evidence mysteries. If you've missed any of those, I recommend them all!

Author
WS_Gager
0 Kudos

It is set for June.  I've been working over the holidays to do some last minute editing and I think I'm finally there. Ended up adding a whole new thread throughout the book which took a lot of editing but made it so much better. I just need to read it beginning to end for a final time. Can't wait to send it off hopefully by the end the week. Thanks for asking about it. Wendy

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Be sure to come back and tell us when it's ready for preorders!

Contributor
WstTxBluebonnet
0 Kudos

I've still not figured out what the book is that is being read right now.  Please point me in the right direction.  I'm an English teacher who is a closet history lover but I LOVE a good mystery!!  Very interested if I can figure out where to go from here!  :smileyhappy:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

This isn't structured like a traditional book club -- more a place where you can meet authors and talk to other mystery lovers. We all recommend books we're reading, or old favorites, and every month I invite featured authors to visit with us and talk about their books.

This month we are featuring SIX authors in a January extravaganza -- if you want to pick any or all of those books, the authors are available to answer your questions about the books or to discuss their upcoming books.

I have no problem with posting traditional book club questions, but in the past, no one seems to respond to those. I know this is informal, but it's a great way to get to know a lot of great authors and to find out about some fabulous mysteries!

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Not to mention the more informal boards around here get more happy traffic. It's a good thing!:smileyvery-happy:

New User
LJ51
0 Kudos

Hi I'm also new to this club. I have been retired for 3 yrs. I winter in Florida, summer in Minnesota. I have the best of both worlds! I have been a mystery fan since I was a young girl. I, too, started reading Nancy Drew and then progressed to Phyllis Whitney and Mary Stewart. Now, I'm a fan of John Sanford (also a MN native), Patterson, Connelly, Tami Hoag, William Kruger ( also a MInnesotan), to name a few. I'm sure I will enjoy reading other member's comments and best of all, tips on great reads!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Yeah, if I lived in Minnesota, I'd spend my winters in Florida, too. Actually, I have quite a few friends there. I guess you get used to the cold -- brrr!

I've read quite a few of the authors you mentioned, but not all. I always like to find new authors to read but, man, my to-be-read pile is about to burst through the walls!

New User
LJ51
0 Kudos

When I left there (I usually go up for Christmas cause I miss the snow - call me crazy) the temp was 19 below zero! The last author I mentioned Krueger, writes about Northern Mn and the Indian culture. His protagonist is an Indian sheriff in that area. By the way Indians in MN prefer being called Indians, not the politically correct term, "Native Americans." You really get a picture of what that part of the country is like. Of course, if you're from MN you love reading about your neck of the woods.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

That's true. I live in Cincinnati, and I always get a kick out of reading books that take place here. 

I just did a search and found this list, but I know there are more: http://www.cincinnatilibrary.org/booklists/?id=cincinnatifiction

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

The Krueger books are a great series. I gave my brother the first one for Christmas. He liked it and will read more. I have heard Krueger speak about his writing. I buy these books right when they come out.

pen21

LJ51 wrote:

When I left there (I usually go up for Christmas cause I miss the snow - call me crazy) the temp was 19 below zero! The last author I mentioned Krueger, writes about Northern Mn and the Indian culture. His protagonist is an Indian sheriff in that area. By the way Indians in MN prefer being called Indians, not the politically correct term, "Native Americans." You really get a picture of what that part of the country is like. Of course, if you're from MN you love reading about your neck of the woods.

Frequent Contributor
tree_lover
0 Kudos

Welcome LJ51.  My name is Liz and I am originally from New York and now reside in Texas.  I love mysteries as well and sometimes like to read books based in New York.  For me it's like bringing a little bit of home when I read from there.  So I know what you mean by reading books from your area.  I haven't read any of the authors you mentioned but will look forward to one day looking into them.  My TBR pile is piling up with a lot of International authors at the moment.

Kerry Greenwood

Jacqueline Winspear

Christopher Fowler

Colin Cotterill

These are all series writers that I like reading.  :smileysurprised:)

http://nygirltrustnoone.blogspot.com/
Author
WS_Gager
0 Kudos

Will do. I'm working like crazy to get the draft done and to the publisher, but I keep coming up with new things to make it better. I need to stop and get it in the mail, but I can't. I think I need a 10 step program. HAHA. Wendy

becke_davis
0 Kudos

tree_lover wrote:

Welcome LJ51.  My name is Liz and I am originally from New York and now reside in Texas.  I love mysteries as well and sometimes like to read books based in New York.  For me it's like bringing a little bit of home when I read from there.  So I know what you mean by reading books from your area.  I haven't read any of the authors you mentioned but will look forward to one day looking into them.  My TBR pile is piling up with a lot of International authors at the moment.

Kerry Greenwood

Jacqueline Winspear

Christopher Fowler

Colin Cotterill

These are all series writers that I like reading.  :smileysurprised:)

Hi tree lover - welcome to Mystery! I love your name -- I also moderate the Garden Book Club here and blog at B&N's Garden Variety.
What part of Texas are you in? I have a sister way south and friends in San Antonio and Dallas. What's your weather like?

I've only read Jacqueline Winspear and Christopher Fowler. I'll have to check out the others.

becke_davis

WS_Gager wrote:

Will do. I'm working like crazy to get the draft done and to the publisher, but I keep coming up with new things to make it better. I need to stop and get it in the mail, but I can't. I think I need a 10 step program. HAHA. Wendy

We get a lot of panicked authors visiting here while they are also rushing to meet deadlines. I wonder if visiting Mystery is a form of avoidance??