Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading now?

I posted some of the pictures of the TBR pile on my blog:

http://the-garden-muse.blogspot.com/

becke_davis
0 Kudos

KarenEOlson wrote:
I've got Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, too, in my TBR pile and it looks really good. But first I'm finishing up Louise Penny's Still Life. I hadn't read any of her books before, and since she keeps winning awards, I figured I should check them out. Absolutely loving this book and will definitely read more.
I have Louise Penny's The Cruelest Month in my TBR pile.  I can't read fast enough.  There was a great review of Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie in the new issue of Entertainment Weekly.  I just discovered it was also: Winner of the 2007 Crime Writers’ Association Debut Dagger
Here's a link:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20276935,00.html 

Inspired Correspondent
tabcat
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Becke,

I thought my tbr piles were large, but you definitely win, LOL! I noticed The House on Tradd Street in one picture.  I enjoyed the mystery and ghost story, but it still read too much like a romance novel for my taste.  Also, enjoyed the the Charleston setting.  I've vacationed there several times and recognized the street names and land marks so that was fun.

Dewey is a quick, sweet read.  Hope you are able to get to that one soon.

Thanks for sharing your blog link.  The flowers are gorgeous!  I'm enjoying my irises and peonies too.  I'm just a little south of you in Ky.

t.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

tabcat wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Becke,

I thought my tbr piles were large, but you definitely win, LOL! I noticed The House on Tradd Street in one picture.  I enjoyed the mystery and ghost story, but it still read too much like a romance novel for my taste.  Also, enjoyed the the Charleston setting.  I've vacationed there several times and recognized the street names and land marks so that was fun.

Dewey is a quick, sweet read.  Hope you are able to get to that one soon.

Thanks for sharing your blog link.  The flowers are gorgeous!  I'm enjoying my irises and peonies too.  I'm just a little south of you in Ky.

t.

I love the way Karen White writes, and I like romance as much as mystery.  I also read urban fantasy, sci fi, paranormal, noir-type mysteries and occasionally Stephen King-type horror (but not as much as other genres).  I've bought Dewey for a couple of cat-loving friends, but still haven't read my own copy!  There are so many books I'm eager to read, but I can't read fast enough!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

As you know Becke Karen White is one of my favorites thanks to you and Melanie. She just had a new book come out called The Lost Hours, it was wonderful. Here's a link to my review http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Lost-Hours/Karen-White/e/9780451226495/#TABS
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Oh, Debbie -- thanks for reminding me that her new book is out!  Definitely a must read!
Correspondent
momgee

becke_davis wrote:

Your garden pictues are just gorgeous. Your tbr pile(s) are downright scary! I keep mine scattered in different rooms so it doesn't look so intimidating. A book case in one room ,2 in another room  a pile here, a pile there. you know how they add up so fast. I'm finally getting around to reading Book of Fate by Brad Meltzer and it is a good one. Really intrigued so far as I'm about 1/3 of the way through.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
becke_davis
0 Kudos

momgee wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Your garden pictues are just gorgeous. Your tbr pile(s) are downright scary! I keep mine scattered in different rooms so it doesn't look so intimidating. A book case in one room ,2 in another room  a pile here, a pile there. you know how they add up so fast. I'm finally getting around to reading Book of Fate by Brad Meltzer and it is a good one. Really intrigued so far as I'm about 1/3 of the way through.
You should have seen the look on my husband's face when I first posted them.  He sees these books every day, and, maybe because of that, he never really pays attention to them.  When I took the pictures he started making wisecracks about "so, need a few more books?"  Luckily, he has his own TBR pile, so he understands.  Of course, his fits on a corner of his desk...

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I enjoyed your photos, too, Becke!  The TBR piles and the flowers (and you, too!).

I don't know when I will get around to them, but the following just joined my TBR list:

Dare to Die (Death on Demand Series #19) 

Jane and the Prisoner of Wool House (Jane Austen Series #6)  

The Hart was from my mystery book club.  One thing they have done a few times was to offer the first few books from a series, and then drop the series.  So then I think there are no more, only to find that there are!  I was in B&N yesterday and decided to check to see if they had any of Susan Wittig Albert's Beatrix Potter series (I only have the first two), but they didn't.  As I was stepping down from the stepstool, I found myself face to face with Stephanie Barron's Jane Austen series, which was another one like that; I have the first four, all of which they had in paperback, plus this one other one, so I grabbed it.  I'm not crazy about buying trade paperbacks, but sometimes it's a must to fill in the gaps in series.  (I'll eventually order the ones I couldn't find, because they are available online, and I have them on my Wish List.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Thanks, Dulcinea (every time I see your name I think of Dulcie and Bella from an Agatha Christie story).  I'm trying to do a better job of keeping that blog up to date, with pictures, at least.

I love Carolyn Hart's Henrie O. series but I must admit I've only ever read one of her Death on Demand books.  I liked them, but just knowing how books were in the series was daunting.

I've been swamped with work lately so I haven't had a lot of time to read in the last couple of weeks.  I've added these books to my TBR pile, though:

In the Bleak Midwinter   The Prime Objective   No Time for Goodbye   Pitch Black   Malice  

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Oh Becke I haven't read the others shame on me, but you will absolutely LOVE Malice, it was terrifying and wonderful.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:
Oh Becke I haven't read the others shame on me, but you will absolutely LOVE Malice, it was terrifying and wonderful.
I would have waited until it came out in paperback, but your comments sold me.

Also, thanks to Dulcinea, I'll now have to check out Stephanie Barron's books. 

Contributor
an_avidreader
0 Kudos

Stacey,

I've read all the Gaslight series and all Margaret Truman's books. So sad Ms. Truman passed away this year.  Her books were so enjoyable.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

dhaupt wrote:
I would have waited until it came out in paperback, but your comments sold me.

So many books in the TBR pile, but I have to read Malice soon - my sister wants it next!

Contributor
an_avidreader
0 Kudos

Becke,

Latest read is WHISPERS OF THE DEAD by Simon Beckett.  This is the 3rd book in this series, takes place in England, but has 'body farm' undertones.  

Another series of books for my TBR-Series pile.  I can't seem to just read one book by an author, then go on to another author.  The great thing about reading a series is the character development that continues through each book.  The Bryant and May series by Christopher Fowler is a great example, and a different twist on British cops.  These two men are certainly not a Richard Jury or Adam Dalgleish but they are sooooooo wonderful.  

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

I hope you like them!  I think she seems to know quite a bit about Jane Austen's life, and she does a good job of writing stories that seem to make sense in that context.  I don't always like these "author-as-sleuth" stories; I read one with Louisa May Alcott that I didn't care for that much.  And, although she wasn't an author, I sampled a few with a young Elizabeth Tudor where I just couldn't imagine her acting like that, even as a young girl.  As I mentioned, I found the Beatrix Potter mysteries quite delightful, especially the way the animals are handled.  I also enjoyed a recent one with Charlotte Bronte:

Secret Adventures of Charlotte Bronte 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

an_avidreader wrote:

Becke,

Latest read is WHISPERS OF THE DEAD by Simon Beckett.  This is the 3rd book in this series, takes place in England, but has 'body farm' undertones.  

Another series of books for my TBR-Series pile.  I can't seem to just read one book by an author, then go on to another author.  The great thing about reading a series is the character development that continues through each book.  The Bryant and May series by Christopher Fowler is a great example, and a different twist on British cops.  These two men are certainly not a Richard Jury or Adam Dalgleish but they are sooooooo wonderful.  

Christopher Fowler's books are already in my TBR pile, but I'm not sure if I have Simon Beckett's books. Thanks for the suggestion!
Whispers of the Dead   The Chemistry of Death   Written in Bone   Full Dark House   White Corridor   The Victoria Vanishes   The Water Room   Ten Second Staircase   Seventy-Seven Clocks   Old Devil Moon   Personal Demons   White Corridor   Demonized  

Contributor
demonwitch
0 Kudos

Right now I'm starting a new series Vampire Kisses. It's about a girl named Raven that falls in love with a very hot vampire named Alexander. He lives in a old mansion in a town called Dullsville, him and Raven go on adventures to protect her family, friends, and the most annoying, stuck up boy in all of Dullsville, Trevor.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Over the weekend I read

Dead Before Dark  

Really good, glad I was introduced to yet another amazing author here, thanks guys!!

And:

The Drowning Pool  

which is the second in the Kim Reynolds, Mike Gardner series.

It is really good and I almost didn't read it after the disappointment of The Inferno Collection which is the first book, it was very boring and the dialogue was the main reason because I really liked the characters and the story. So being it's her first book and most authors evolve I gave it a try and I'm glad I did because this one is interesting and we get to meet great new people. 

Frequent Contributor
Nat-the-Cat
0 Kudos

I just Finished:

Pushing up Daisies (Dirty Business Mystery Series) 

This was wonderful.  I really enjoyed it and will be buying the rest in the series as they come out.

Her Royal Spyness 

I really LOVED this.  She's kind of like a royal Stephanie Plum. :smileywink:

I will Definitely be buying the rest of this series. I've also got another Rhys Bowen novel , Murphy's Law, on my TBR pile. If it is as good as this book was I won't be disappointed.

Now finally I'll get to what I'm reading at this moment.  I just started Mallory's Oracle by Carol O'Conell. So Far Very Good. As Soon as I finish this I'll be reading Dead Before Dark by Wendi Corsi Staub. ( I don't like to read more than one book at a time. )

All of my recent reads have been suggested by people here  on posts. So far no one has Steered me wrong.