Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading now?

I had to give up on the book though I had almost finished it.  The book was about a reporter investigating the death of a proffesor and that's about all I understood of it.  There was alchemy thrown in such a way as it really made no sense.  The book would take numerous breaks into the past and tell little stories about artifacts connected to alchemy that never appeared anywhere else in the book.  At first I thought they were part of the library in the title but since some of the aftificats were quite new that didn't make sense.  So this will be one book that will be going to the Friends of the Library book store.  It's a good thing I only paid a dollar for it.  The only other book on the pile to go was another mystery called Minight Cab by James W. Nichol.  I bout if from a dollar store from a dollar and couldn't get past page 20.

becke_davis wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

I'm just starting on a book I picked up from a store in the mall for a dollar.  So far I'm really enjoying it.

The Geographer's Library 

That cover intrigues me. If you think of it, come back and give us your feedback on this book. I don't recall seeing it before.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

My daughter called last night and was raving about this book, which is a B&N Recommended Selection:

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane  

Distinguished Correspondent
biljounc63
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

becke_davis wrote:

My daughter called last night and was raving about this book, which is a B&N Recommended Selection:

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane  

It is very good. I read advance copy if it as part of the B&N First Look club. Katherine Howe is a very personable author. 

Message Edited by biljounc63 on 06-28-2009 07:18 PM
Message Edited by biljounc63 on 06-28-2009 07:18 PM
Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
~ Joseph Addison ~

"Reading lets you visit the world of another"
Distinguished Correspondent
biljounc63
0 Kudos

I am in the procress of reading all of Dan Brown's books before  his latest the lost symbol arrives in Setember. I an currently reading Digital Fortress.
Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
~ Joseph Addison ~

"Reading lets you visit the world of another"
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I must admit, I've only read The DaVinci Code and Angels & Demons. What are his others like?
dhaupt
0 Kudos

•Hi Becke, Hi gang.

First about The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane, I too read it for first look and was literally blown away by it, by far that one and the one we're reading now has been the best for me so far.

Now Dan Brown's other books are like physcological thrillers I've read them and really enjoyed them especially Digital Fortress.

S *P*O*I*L*E*R

Now what I'm reading, over the weekend I read the new thriller by Lisa Gardner 

The Neighbor   

I  can't tell you how much I loved this book, and how she incorporates past characters into her new novels. Well in this novel she doesn't just incorporate past characters she gives one the starring role. The husband from The Neighbor is no other than the victim in her thriller from last year Say Goodbye. This one isn't as scary as some of the other of her works, but what happened in the past to the two stars of this year's story is unimaginably horrible. Sometimes I wish their were two or three of her because a year between her stories is very hard.

I'm just starting

Finger Lickin' Fifteen (Stephanie Plum Series #15)   

I have not stopped laughing since I picked up the book, from Lula and Grandma's antics to just the dialogue, I'm laughing just thinking about it.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'll have to get that Lisa Gardner, although my groaning TBR pile won't thank me for it! (It's taking on a life of its own now!)
Frequent Contributor
Nat-the-Cat
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

•Hi Becke, Hi gang.

First about The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane, I too read it for first look and was literally blown away by it, by far that one and the one we're reading now has been the best for me so far.

Now Dan Brown's other books are like physcological thrillers I've read them and really enjoyed them especially Digital Fortress.

S *P*O*I*L*E*R

Now what I'm reading, over the weekend I read the new thriller by Lisa Gardner 

The Neighbor   

I  can't tell you how much I loved this book, and how she incorporates past characters into her new novels. Well in this novel she doesn't just incorporate past characters she gives one the starring role. The husband from The Neighbor is no other than the victim in her thriller from last year Say Goodbye. This one isn't as scary as some of the other of her works, but what happened in the past to the two stars of this year's story is unimaginably horrible. Sometimes I wish their were two or three of her because a year between her stories is very hard.

I'm just starting

Finger Lickin' Fifteen (Stephanie Plum Series #15)   

I have not stopped laughing since I picked up the book, from Lula and Grandma's antics to just the dialogue, I'm laughing just thinking about it.

I just added Lisa Gardner's The Perfect Husband to my TBR pile. I'm hoping its as good as all the reviews say it is.

The Perfect Husband 

Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

Loitering with Intent  Stone Barrington is up to his usual, this time in Key West.  A quick easy read.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I've read a couple of his books and liked them, but I'm not completely hooked. Have you read Edna Buchanan? I haven't read her latest books, but I read most of her older ones. For some reason Stuart Woods' books make me think of her. Here are some of hers:

Shadows   Love Kills   You Only Die Twice   Corpse Had a Familiar Face   Cold Case Squad   Miami, It's Murder   Legally Dead   Margin of Error   Act of Betrayal   Contents Under Pressure   Garden of Evil  

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

I've read a couple of his books and liked them, but I'm not completely hooked. Have you read Edna Buchanan? I haven't read her latest books, but I read most of her older ones. For some reason Stuart Woods' books make me think of her. Here are some of hers:

Shadows  Love Kills  You Only Die Twice  Corpse Had a Familiar Face  Cold Case Squad  Miami, It's Murder  Legally Dead  Margin of Error  Act of Betrayal  Contents Under Pressure  Garden of Evil  

One of my favorite authors. I got hooked on her writting back when she was a newpaper writter.

Funny, gritty, and a pretty good protaganist. Start them in order and try her out, she doesn't disapoint.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'm reading the latest Myron Bolitar book by Harlan Coben: 

Long Lost (Myron Bolitar Series #9)  It's a fast-paced, intense read and it is hitting me in some unexpected ways because one storyline reminds me of a tragedy that happened to a good friend. 

I got a kick out of one scene where Coben makes a reference to a French movie starring Francois Cluzet and Kristen Scott Thomas. I just saw that movie a few weeks ago - TELL NO ONE.

Tell No One  

It's based on a Coben best seller, and he's even got a cameo in it. Here it is:

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Tigger - I've read almost all of Kathy Reichs' books, but her most recent ones are still in my TBR pile. I also like Iris Johansen's Eve Duncan books, which are somewhat similar, and Christopher Golden's forensic series.
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

I've read a couple of Golden's myself, not bad. Never heard of Johansen, I 'll have to check her out.

becke_davis wrote:
Tigger - I've read almost all of Kathy Reichs' books, but her most recent ones are still in my TBR pile. I also like Iris Johansen's Eve Duncan books, which are somewhat similar, and Christopher Golden's forensic series.

Contributor
an_avidreader
0 Kudos

TiggerBear,

Read all of the Reich books as soon as they hit the shelf.  Watch the TV show also.  For a good mystery series (and a few laughs), try the Christopher Fowler-Bryant & May series.  Totally different style and intensity, but great stories.  These two old codgers are a hoot!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Inspired Correspondent
tabcat
0 Kudos

I just finished

Baker Street Letters   Very quick, fun read.  It is the first in a planned series and has been optioned for a movie.

Currently reading

Expert in Murder, a fictional story, but with author Josephine Tey as the main character.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Oh, I love Josephine Tey -- let me know if that's a good one!
dhaupt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Well it was a busy vacation but I managed to read a little.

I finished 

The Pillars of the Earth 

Drums of Autumn    

I enjoyed The Pillars of the Earth, but I was ready for it to be over after 971 pages, however I'm never ready to finish one of Diane's books and this one was no exception, so now I'll be ready to tackle the next one in the series soon. 

Oh and Nat, be sure and let me know how you liked The Perfect Husband, I still get goose bumps thinking about it. 

Message Edited by dhaupt on 07-14-2009 10:14 AM