Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

The Blue Light Project  

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

The Lantern  

Those of you who are fans of the gothic - Victoria Holt, etc. - will be interested in the August release. It's getting a lot of buzz and I can see why. The writing is beautiful - it's set in Provence, and you can practically smell the lavender.

That looke very enticing, becke. August isn't all that far away now, either, so I will be looking for that book when it comes out! BTW, is this the author's first book, or is it part of a series?

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

The Lantern  

Those of you who are fans of the gothic - Victoria Holt, etc. - will be interested in the August release. It's getting a lot of buzz and I can see why. The writing is beautiful - it's set in Provence, and you can practically smell the lavender.

That looke very enticing, becke. August isn't all that far away now, either, so I will be looking for that book when it comes out! BTW, is this the author's first book, or is it part of a series?

It's a stand alone. One thing I should mention - it's beautifully written and starts out packed with lush description and a story that initially seems like a ghost story. But in true gothic fashion, there are a lot of undercurrents and more than one mystery to unravel. The story isn't all romantic gothic - there's some nasty things going on, too. They're all the more shocking because the story starts out on such a languid note.

Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB

becke_davis wrote:

Fricka wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

The Lantern  

It's a stand alone. One thing I should mention - it's beautifully written and starts out packed with lush description and a story that initially seems like a ghost story. But in true gothic fashion, there are a lot of undercurrents and more than one mystery to unravel. The story isn't all romantic gothic - there's some nasty things going on, too. They're all the more shocking because the story starts out on such a languid note.

Becke - I couldn't resist !!! I pre-ordered it. I looks and sounds really good. Now I have to figure out a way to have more time to read !!!

Anne

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Anne - Watch for the August schedule. I'll be posting it soon.

Author
Beth_Groundwater
0 Kudos

I just finished two great C. J. Box books (I love the Joe Pickett series!):

Blood Trail (Joe Pickett Series #8) 

Below Zero (Joe Pickett Series #9)   

I'm now reading a book by another Midnight Ink author and am enjoying it:

Death and the Lit Chick  

Next up is a Carl Hiaasen book (love his humor!):

Lucky You  

--
Beth Groundwater, http://bethgroundwater.com/
DEADLY CURRENTS, 03/11, A REAL BASKET CASE re-release, 11/11
WICKED EDDIES, 05/12, TO HELL IN A HANDBASKET re-release, 11/12
FATAL DESCENT, 06/13, A BASKET OF TROUBLE, 11/13
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

I'm bouncing around different books right now. I was trying to finish

The Big Sleep but it got sent to Indiana with my kid's luggage. So I started reading

An Echo in the Bone (Outlander Series #7)  but it's so darn long! I was hoping to read some short stuff.

I'm reading 

They Do It with Mirrors (Miss Marple Series).

The editor is getting a bit strange, so that's all for now.

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
0 Kudos

Feed (Newsflesh Trilogy Series #1)  I just finished 

lots of mystery, not a lot of blood and guts like would think..but down right scary.

now i am reading :

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

Person or Persons Unknown (Sir John Fielding Series #4)  

This is the second book that I have read in this series and I like it a lot.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

The Lock Artist 

The Silent Girl (Rizzoli and Isles Series #9)   

Both of these are really good - THE SILENT GIRL is really excellent. Her best yet!

Frequent Contributor
Pumpernickel2008
0 Kudos

Whoever is online now:

James Ellroy is speaking now at our Literary Festival ALIVE.

Here is the link:

http://www.flip.org.br/flipaovivo.php

And I did not post this before because I didn't know they were gonna do it ALIVE.

Inspired Contributor
leisure_reader
0 Kudos

I started reading more Agatha Christie.  Per Becke;s recommendation, I started at the beginning...I really think Ms Christie's writing improved with age.

I also just finished   Thank you Denise for the suspense and laughter.

My local library has a summer reading program....first prize...a NOOK!  For every 4 books you read, you get to pick a prize book. So, I picked:

I think I will be reading out of order though

J

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
- Eleanor Roosevelt

becke_davis
0 Kudos

61 Hours is really good! I started reading Lee Child out of order and it just made me want to go back and read the rest.

One reason I recommend reading Agatha Christie's books chronologically is that you can see how her writing matures. I have a fondness for particular periods of her writing, but I won't say which ones!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

This is the 2nd book in Harris' Aurora Teagarden series.

I just finished re-reading Real Murders, which is the first book in this set of mysteries   It has lots of interesting references to true crime mysteries, including that of Lizzie Borden. The plot line deals with someone from Row's discussion group, "Real Murders" starting a murderous spree, copying historically well known murders. 

Anyway, the first book I read in the series, if I remember correctly was Last Scene Alive.  I read Poppy Done to Death after that. I'm now making my way back through the series, from the first book to the most recent. Next up: Three Bedrooms, One Corpse.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
dhaupt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Happy Monday everyone, finally back to work after a week of dial up, one of these days I will get high speed at home.

I just finished a wonderful women's fiction novel

Joy for Beginners  

http://thereadingfrenzy.blogspot.com/2011/07/review-of-joy-for-beginners-by-erica.html

Right now I'm reading Heather Graham's new paranormal thriller

Heart of Evil  

really good

and all you mystery fans mark your calendars for August because General Fiction will be featuring the amazing Hank Phillipi Ryan and her first novel and the first of her series starting Charlie McNally. Hank will be on hand throughout the month to chat with us, answer questions and discuss the novel with us. The conversation starts August 1, but check here for updates and listings regarding August's read.

Prime Time (Charlotte McNally Series #1)  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

I finished Two for the Dough today and almost immediately started

Three to Get Deadly (Stephanie Plum Series #3)  

I am so happy to have discovered this series! It will help with my withdrawal once I catch up on the Kinsey Millhone series.