Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

EdKovacs wrote:

Your 'Have a Wonderful Weekend' graphic reminds me of another epoch---when I used to get weekends off!  Ha!  I remember an old friend complaining about "5 and 2."  "Five for them, and two for me," he used to say.  'Them' being his employers.  Oh, the concept of a 40 hour week!  I work double that, minimum!

Not complaining, just sayin.'  :smileyhappy:

Currently readeing The Kite Runner.  A guy rotating back to the States gave it to me.  Cheers!

Ed Kovacs.    www.edkovacs.com

The Kite Runner  

LOL, Ed - I don't work 9-to-5, so weekends don't really exist for me. Sunday is often my busiest work day. But I like to pretend I have a "real" weekend - it just feels more relaxing that way!

Don't work too hard!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Had a break between deadlines and actually got to read something for fun

LInda does it again, this is how the McKettrick's of Texas got started

A Lawman's Christmas (McKettrick Series)  

http://thereadingfrenzy.blogspot.com/2011/10/review-of-lawmans-christmas-by-linda.html

Plus check out the Announcement's page to find out more about Iris Johansen's visit.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Announcements/Great-News-Iris-Johansen-visits-General-Fiction...

Happy Monday and Go Cardinals Yay we're going to the world series and then maybe to DisneyWorld :smileyhappy:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB
0 Kudos

Silent in the Sanctuary (Lady Julia Grey Series #2)  

Hi Everyone - I finished Book #1 and now I'm on #2...

Anne

becke_davis
0 Kudos

1AnneB wrote:

Silent in the Sanctuary (Lady Julia Grey Series #2)  

Hi Everyone - I finished Book #1 and now I'm on #2...

Anne

Isn't it a great series?

Frequent Contributor
ms_linda
0 Kudos

I am currently reading The Raising by Laura Kasischke. I read about half of it in one sitting. I think someone here must have recommended it because I have no recollection of buying it!

The Raising  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

ms_linda wrote:

I am currently reading The Raising by Laura Kasischke. I read about half of it in one sitting. I think someone here must have recommended it because I have no recollection of buying it!

The Raising  

I read it and liked it a lot. The author was a guest here earlier this year.

Frequent Contributor
ms_linda
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

ms_linda wrote:

The Raising  

I read it and liked it a lot. The author was a guest here earlier this year.

That makes sense! I find with an ereader I buy a lot of books because it's so easy. Then I try to read them in the order that I bought them which is months behind. Anyway I'm really enjoying the book

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Linda, I know exactly what you mean! I'm always at least a few months behind. I try to read all of our guests' books but I don't always read them prior to their visit. Sometimes I receive advance copies from publishers, but I often buy the books. If they don't come out until the week of the visit, it's likely I'll be reading them late!

Right now I'm reading a non-mystery for a change of pace. It's been in my TBR pile for ages - I love this author!

Other Side of the Story  

dhaupt
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

I just started

Until There Was You  

*gasp* SOOOOOO jealous! I've had this on preorder forever - I. Can. Hardly. Wait. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt

becke_davis wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

I just started

Until There Was You  

*gasp* SOOOOOO jealous! I've had this on preorder forever - I. Can. Hardly. Wait. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

first, na, na, na, na, na :smileyhappy:

Now I have been laughing out loud, listen to this line from a single dad to his teenaged daughter, ready

Ok here it is

"Well, listen, sweetheart. Boys only want one thing, of course, and guess what that means for you? Heartbreak, Pregnancy. Chlamydia, herpes, syphilis, crabs." 

Okay I'm still laughing so hard it's hurting my throat. :smileyhappy:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

I just started

Until There Was You  

first, na, na, na, na, na :smileyhappy:

Now I have been laughing out loud, listen to this line from a single dad to his teenaged daughter, ready

Ok here it is

"Well, listen, sweetheart. Boys only want one thing, of course, and guess what that means for you? Heartbreak, Pregnancy. Chlamydia, herpes, syphilis, crabs." 

Okay I'm still laughing so hard it's hurting my throat. :smileyhappy:

I loved the excerpt on Kristan's website:

http://www.kristanhiggins.com/utwyexcerpt.htm

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Shut Your Eyes Tight (Dave Gurney Series #2)  

I was going to read this next but I started this one first:

Cemetery Girl  

dhaupt
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

My daughter and I have been talking about REALLY scary things lately - not Halloween, but abducted children. She just read Jaycee Dugard's book (which I read when it first came out) and I finished CEMETERY GIRL the other day. Both books made us think of a book that scared us both to death (a really fast read, but you'll never forget it): LIVING DEAD GIRL.

All three books are deeply disturbing but still very much worth reading. Each of them addresses every parent's worst fear from a different perspective. Lots of TV shows deal with topics like this, but none of them have hit me like these books did.

A Stolen Life 

Living Dead Girl 

Cemetery Girl    

I also recommend these two books on similar topics:

Chosen 

The Boy in the Suitcase   

becke_davis
0 Kudos

A new author on my auto-buy list: JOHN VERDON

I read his book THINK OF A NUMBER last year and loved it. I'm now about halfway through his new release, SHUT YOUR EYES TIGHT, and I don't want to put it down!

He really plays mind games with his readers - if you are a fan of tricky puzzler-type mysteries than lean to the dark side, you'll want to check these out. Both books stand alone, but they are connected if you want to read them in order.

I hope someone makes these books into movies - maybe for Masterpiece MYSTERY! I can see Kevin Spacey in the lead role. 

Shut Your Eyes Tight (Dave Gurney Series #2) 

Think of a Number (Dave Gurney Series #1)   

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Under Witch Moon  

Trick or Treat (Corinna Chapman Series #4)  

I haven't been reading every night, so it took me a while to get through Under Witch Moon, but I finally finished it, and it was a lot of fun!  Witches and werewolves and vampires - oh my!!!

Last night I started Trick or Treat, by Kerry Greenwood.  Corinna Chapman is a bread baker, whose shop is being threatened by a chain bread store that has opened down the street (although she actually does most of her business supplying hotels and restaurants, so her business should survive).  Her lover has an old friend (George) staying at his place, and Corinna has just discovered that George is actually a tall lovely blonde woman.  There are a few cats involved - Horatio, her tabby that lives with her and hangs out in the shop, and the Mouse Police (Heckle and Jekyll), who keep the shop free of vermin.  One odd thing has happened so far, and I think I might have a clue about it; I'll wait and see if I'm right.  This is set in Australia, and I have come across some words I'm not familiar with (like esky?), but I'm enjoying it so far!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia