Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

optic_i wrote:

I love PD James. These are the ones I read in Nook Book format. Hopefully, the others will become available for Nook.   :smileyhappy:

Optic

The Private Patient (Adam Dalgliesh Series #14)

The Lighthouse (Adam Dalgliesh Series #13)

Death in Holy Orders (Adam Dalgliesh Series #11)

The Children of Men

The Murder Room (Adam Dalgliesh Series #12)

I think I liked her earlier books the best, but they're all good.

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

11/22/63  

Just started this one:

On November 22, 1963, three shots rang out in Dallas, President Kennedy died, and the world changed. What if you could change it back? Stephen King’s heart-stoppingly dramatic new novel is about a man who travels back in time to prevent the JFK assassination.

Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVQxh79ZWtA

Eadie, I've heard a lot about this novel. Let us know how you liked it and thanks for the link

It is 849 pages long. I am 1/3 thru and it is a page-turner. I have to go to the doctors but I can't wait to get back to the book. 

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Hi Becke,

They must have heard you !! Two new pre-orders of PD James just came out. Don't you love when that happens?   :smileyhappy:

Optic

Death Comes to Pemberley

A Certain Justice (Adam Dalgliesh Series #10)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

optic_i wrote:

Hi Becke,

They must have heard you !! Two new pre-orders of PD James just came out. Don't you love when that happens?   :smileyhappy:

Optic

Death Comes to Pemberley

More for my TBR pile!

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The Night Circus  

I have finished this book and it was indeed magical and strange. It kept me reading it as I wanted to know more especially towards the end.

The Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple Series)

I'm reading Agatha Christie's book in between. I'm also reading Anne Perry's The Christmas Journey at bedtime.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Original Sin (Adam Dalgliesh Series #9)  

Since I just read Cover Her Face, I thought I would finally tackle Original Sin, which has been on my TBR shelf for years.  It seems daunting - over 400 pages, I think!  I'm pretty sure they did this one on Mystery!, too; in this case, the plot does ring a bell.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

Original Sin (Adam Dalgliesh Series #9)  

Since I just read Cover Her Face, I thought I would finally tackle Original Sin, which has been on my TBR shelf for years.  It seems daunting - over 400 pages, I think!  I'm pretty sure they did this one on Mystery!, too; in this case, the plot does ring a bell.

Death In Holy Orders 

P.D. James - The Essential Collection 

P.D. James - Devices & Desires 

Unsuitable Job for a Woman - Seires 1 & 2 

Certain Justice 

Mind to Murder 

Unnatural Causes 

Cover Her Face 

Taste For Death 

Shroud For a Nightingale 

Death of an Expert Witness 

Black Tower             

Original Sin  

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Becke, 

I didn't know it was the second book in a series when I started it, but I couldn't put it down after I started it. It's definetly a noir book set in Detroit and invovles gangsters, the teamsters, blackmail, murder and just about anything else you can think of.  I really enjoyed it.  Sorry that's not the best description but my brain is a little fried right now from work.

becke_davis wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

Motor City Shakedown  

Ryan - This sounds interesting. What's it about?

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

Becke, 

I didn't know it was the second book in a series when I started it, but I couldn't put it down after I started it. It's definetly a noir book set in Detroit and invovles gangsters, the teamsters, blackmail, murder and just about anything else you can think of.  I really enjoyed it.  Sorry that's not the best description but my brain is a little fried right now from work.

becke_davis wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

Motor City Shakedown  

Ryan - This sounds interesting. What's it about?

Thanks, Ryan!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

A Study in Sherlock  

Here's a must-read for fans of Sherlock Holmes. In this anthology, several well-known authors have each contributed a Sherlock Holmes story. The anthology kicks off with one by ALAN BRADLEY, one of this week's featured guests. Alan also wrote another, much more controversial, Holmes book:

Ms. Holmes of Baker Street  

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

11/22/63  

Just started this one:

On November 22, 1963, three shots rang out in Dallas, President Kennedy died, and the world changed. What if you could change it back? Stephen King’s heart-stoppingly dramatic new novel is about a man who travels back in time to prevent the JFK assassination.

Check this out:

Eadie, I've heard a lot about this novel. Let us know how you liked it and thanks for the link

It is 849 pages long. I am 1/3 thru and it is a page-turner. I have to go to the doctors but I can't wait to get back to the book. 

Finished 11/22/63 over the weekend. I enjoyed it very much. Time travel is an interesting concept to me. I enjoyed following George as he adjusted to the 50's and 60's and his quest to stop Lee Harvey Oswald from assassinating JFK. Stephen King did a great job of allowing us to watch Oswald along with George and feel the tensions in Dallas during these conflicting times in our history. Couldn't wait to see how the book would end and was not disappointed. Although, I find Stephen King's books a bit wordy, I found this book to hold my attention until the very end!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

11/22/63  

Just started this one:

Check this out:

Finished 11/22/63 over the weekend. I enjoyed it very much. Time travel is an interesting concept to me. I enjoyed following George as he adjusted to the 50's and 60's and his quest to stop Lee Harvey Oswald from assassinating JFK. Stephen King did a great job of allowing us to watch Oswald along with George and feel the tensions in Dallas during these conflicting times in our history. Couldn't wait to see how the book would end and was not disappointed. Although, I find Stephen King's books a bit wordy, I found this book to hold my attention until the very end!

It does sound good. The trouble is, with so many books in my TBR pile, I don't know if I want to read something that long.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I tend to take my time with anthologies, reading them one story at a time. I've read four or five stories in A STUDY IN SHERLOCK, but I'm not going to finish this book all in one go. I have Alan Bradley's new book on order, so I'll be reading that one later this week.

I Am Half-Sick of Shadows (Flavia de Luce Series #4)  

I may squeeze in a historical before it arrives. There are two I'm itching to read:

The Black Hawk 

Unclaimed   

dhaupt
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:

The Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple Series)

I'm reading Agatha Christie's book in between. I'm also reading Anne Perry's The Christmas Journey at bedtime.

Hi Maxcat, it this one a re-read for you. I love Agatha and I tried more than one time to read this novel and just couldn't get into it.

Do you like it, is it just me.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

11/22/63  

Just started this one:

Check this out:

Eadie, thanks so much. This one is definitely going into my pile. It sounds like it would make a great General Fiction club read, I may have ask Mr. King if he'd be willing to visit the forum, we'll see after I read it.

Tanks for telling us about it

dhaupt
0 Kudos

I recieved a wonderful package in the mail from a very special friend and this was one of the novels in it.

I really liked it 

All I Want for Christmas Is a Vampire (Love at Stake Series #5)  

http://thereadingfrenzy.blogspot.com/2011/11/review-of-all-i-want-for-christmas-is.html

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

optic_i wrote:

Hi Becke,

Optic

Death Comes to Pemberley

More for my TBR pile!

I just realized I've already read A Certain Justice. Looks like they are issuing the Dalgliesh books in new editions.

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

optic_i wrote:

Hi Becke,

Optic

Death Comes to Pemberley

More for my TBR pile!

I just realized I've already read A Certain Justice. Looks like they are issuing the Dalgliesh books in new editions.

These are ebook pre orders. I have been waiting for more ebooks from P.D James. I started reading her books in paperback and then in ebook format, but found out not all her books are ebooks yet. They are slowly coming across the pond, but at least they are coming. I also like Ann Granger mystery books and she has written many !  But only two are available in ebook in English the rest are in German.     :smileyhappy:

Optic

becke_davis
0 Kudos

optic_i wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

optic_i wrote:

Hi Becke,

Optic

Death Comes to Pemberley

More for my TBR pile!

These are ebook pre orders. I have been waiting for more ebooks from P.D James. I started reading her books in paperback and then in ebook format, but found out not all her books are ebooks yet. They are slowly coming across the pond, but at least they are coming. I also like Ann Granger mystery books and she has written many !  But only two are available in ebook in English the rest are in German.     :smileyhappy:

Optic

Oh, I see! I've got a stack of Ann Granger books in my TBR pile. So many books to read!!

Frequent Contributor
ms_linda
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I love PD James mysteries. I started with "An Unsuitable Job for a Woman" and always wished there were more Cordelia Grey books. I've also read all the Dalgliesh books. As far as the others I really really liked "Innocent Blood". I tried to read "The Children of Men" and could not get into it. I later saw the movie and didn't really enjoy it either.