Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
bookwormmom4
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

Just completed Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie.  Miss Marple is very humorous and Christie never disappoints.

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up" Mark Twain
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

maxcat wrote:

Practical Magic    I picked this book up in a used book store and to my surprise, when I opened to read it, the book was signed by Alice Hoffman.

How cool!

I agree. That's quite a find, Maxcat. Congratulations. I was fortunate enough to get to go to a book signing by Alice Hoffman last fall, and got her to sign The Probable Future, which is my personal favorite of her books. I like Practical Magic a lot, too, and think it is so much better than the film version.

dulcinea3, so glad you finally got to finish The Moonstone. I'd forgotten about the part with Miss Clack--that is such a funny part of the book! bookwormmom4, welcome. Glad to meet another reader of Agatha Christie's work. I like Murder in the Vicarage, too-- it's Miss Marple showing her fine detective skills. I also like the dramatic version, with Joan Hickson portraying Miss Marple.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

bookwormmom4 wrote:

Just completed Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie.  Miss Marple is very humorous and Christie never disappoints.

Did you know that was the first book Miss Marple appeared in?

The Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple Series)  

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Hi Becke,

I was happy to see more PD James books are available in Nook book format. I'm reading this one now and it's part of the Adam Danglish series. I'm enjoying it very much. I'm sure more will come in across the pond.   :smileyhappy:

Optic

Shroud for a Nightingale

becke_davis
0 Kudos

optic_i wrote:

Hi Becke,

I was happy to see more PD James books are available in Nook book format. I'm reading this one now and it's part of the Adam Danglish series. I'm enjoying it very much. I'm sure more will come in across the pond.   :smileyhappy:

Optic

Shroud for a Nightingale

That's a good one!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt
0 Kudos

I am reading the May release of 

Barefoot in the Sand  

dhaupt
0 Kudos

It's release day and I have a special treat for JD Robb fans

here is my Q&A with the author and my review of

Celebrity in Death (In Death Series #34)  

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Fiction-General-Discussion/New-Release-feature-2-21-Celebrity...

enjoy!!!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

A Duty to the Dead by Charles Todd.

It's the first in their Bess Crawford series. It's interesting to me, as I read the most recent book in the series first, and have worked my way back to this first book. The other books refer to Bess' being on the Brittanic which was torpedoed, but this book actually begins with that harrowing experience.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

I am reading the May release of 

Barefoot in the Sand  

Green with envy!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

It's release day and I have a special treat for JD Robb fans

here is my Q&A with the author and my review of

Celebrity in Death (In Death Series #34)  

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Fiction-General-Discussion/New-Release-feature-2-21-Celebrity...

enjoy!!!

Woo-hoo! I'll be over soon!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

Of course, I'm still reading 

A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire #3) and will be for some time, but I'm also reading 

The Listerdale Mystery and Eleven Other Stories  and closing in on my quest to complete the Agatha Christie magnum opus.

I also quickly read 

Because of Winn-Dixie  in preparation of World Book Night on April 23, which I am to be a book-giver to 40 boys and girls. Yay!

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
becke_davis

Fricka wrote:

It's the first in their Bess Crawford series. It's interesting to me, as I read the most recent book in the series first, and have worked my way back to this first book. The other books refer to Bess' being on the Brittanic which was torpedoed, but this book actually begins with that harrowing experience.

Speaking of Bess Crawford, I just got this message from the publisher:

If you, like me, are feeling a Downton let-down after the airing of the last new episode in the second season of Downton Abbey, we just might have the cure that ails you (it might even cure the flu)!

Further immerse yourself in the world of WWI-era England with the Bess Crawford mysteries by Charles Todd by joining our “Book Time with Bess” Read Along!  The “Book Time with Bess Read Along” kicks off now and runs through the publication of the newest book in series, An Unmarked Grave in June 2012.

An Unmarked Grave (Bess Crawford Series #4)  

You can see full details of the read along here, and I encourage all Bess Crawford fans, and anyone who’s been wanting to meet Bess, to sign up! The tile ad for the read along is attached here as well.  And if you don’t have the time to read along, perhaps you could let your readers know of the opportunity.

So who is Bess Crawford? The creation of the mother and son writing team of Charles Todd – the team that brought us the acclaimed and bestselling Ian Rutledge series – Bess Crawford is a singular woman living in a time of great change in England. Independent-minded Bess Crawford’s upbringing was far different from that of the usual upper-middle-class British gentlewoman. Growing up in India, she learned the importance of responsibility, honor, and duty from her officer father. At the outbreak of World War I, she followed in his footsteps and volunteered for the nursing corps, serving from the battlefields of France to the doomed hospital ship Britannic.

On one voyage, Bess grows fond of the young, gravely wounded Lieutenant Arthur Graham. Something rests heavily on his conscience, and to give him a little peace as he dies, she promises to deliver a message to his brother. It is some months before she can carry out this duty, and when she’s next in England, she herself is recovering from a wound. When Bess arrives at the Graham house in Kent, Jonathan Graham listens to his brother’s last wishes with surprising indifference. Neither his mother nor his brother Timothy seems to think it has any significance. Unsettled by this, Bess is about to take her leave when sudden tragedy envelops her. She quickly discovers that fulfilling this duty to the dead has thrust her into a maelstrom of intrigue and murder that will endanger her own life and test her courage as not even war has.

The read-along will officially kick off today (but don’t worry, our first discussion won’t take place until March 26th – just sign up today) and runs through the publication of the paperback of the most recent Bess Crawford novel, A Bitter Truth (on sale 5/1), as well as the new Bess Crawford hardcover, An Unmarked Grave (on sale 6/5). We'll end the read-along in June with a Book Club Girl on Air Show with the Charles Todd writing team to discuss all the books in the series.

Bess Crawford Tile Ad

http://www.bookclubgirl.com/book_club_girl/2012/02/book-time-with-bess-join-the-bess-crawford-read-a...

As an added bonus to get you started, the ebook of A Duty to the Dead is just $1.99 

for a limited time, so order up today and get reading!

The first 10 people to sign up will receive a free copy of the paperback of A Duty to the Dead (if you're taking advantage of the $1.99 ebook instead, let me know that and we can send you An Impartial Witness).

A Duty to the Dead (Bess Crawford Series #1)  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3

The Case of the Buried Clock  

I'm reading The Case of the Buried Clock, a Perry Mason mystery by Erle Stanley Gardner.  The title almost reminds me of a Nancy Drew!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

I'm reading The Case of the Buried Clock, a Perry Mason mystery by Erle Stanley Gardner.  The title almost reminds me of a Nancy Drew!

It sure does! I don't think I've read that one.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

It sure does! I don't think I've read that one.

LOL!  It's the one you just sent me last week!  That's the same cover, too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Fricka wrote:

Speaking of Bess Crawford, I just got this message from the publisher:

If you, like me, are feeling a Downton let-down after the airing of the last new episode in the second season of Downton Abbey, we just might have the cure that ails you (it might even cure the flu)!

Further immerse yourself in the world of WWI-era England with the Bess Crawford mysteries by Charles Todd by joining our “Book Time with Bess” Read Along!  The “Book Time with Bess Read Along” kicks off now and runs through the publication of the newest book in series, An Unmarked Grave in June 2012.

An Unmarked Grave (Bess Crawford Series #4)  

You can see full details of the read along here, and I encourage all Bess Crawford fans, and anyone who’s been wanting to meet Bess, to sign up! The tile ad for the read along is attached here as well.  And if you don’t have the time to read along, perhaps you could let your readers know of the opportunity.

So who is Bess Crawford? The creation of the mother and son writing team of Charles Todd – the team that brought us the acclaimed and bestselling Ian Rutledge series – Bess Crawford is a singular woman living in a time of great change in England. Independent-minded Bess Crawford’s upbringing was far different from that of the usual upper-middle-class British gentlewoman. Growing up in India, she learned the importance of responsibility, honor, and duty from her officer father. At the outbreak of World War I, she followed in his footsteps and volunteered for the nursing corps, serving from the battlefields of France to the doomed hospital ship Britannic.

On one voyage, Bess grows fond of the young, gravely wounded Lieutenant Arthur Graham. Something rests heavily on his conscience, and to give him a little peace as he dies, she promises to deliver a message to his brother. It is some months before she can carry out this duty, and when she’s next in England, she herself is recovering from a wound. When Bess arrives at the Graham house in Kent, Jonathan Graham listens to his brother’s last wishes with surprising indifference. Neither his mother nor his brother Timothy seems to think it has any significance. Unsettled by this, Bess is about to take her leave when sudden tragedy envelops her. She quickly discovers that fulfilling this duty to the dead has thrust her into a maelstrom of intrigue and murder that will endanger her own life and test her courage as not even war has.

The read-along will officially kick off today (but don’t worry, our first discussion won’t take place until March 26th – just sign up today) and runs through the publication of the paperback of the most recent Bess Crawford novel, A Bitter Truth (on sale 5/1), as well as the new Bess Crawford hardcover, An Unmarked Grave (on sale 6/5). We'll end the read-along in June with a Book Club Girl on Air Show with the Charles Todd writing team to discuss all the books in the series.

Bess Crawford Tile Ad

http://www.bookclubgirl.com/book_club_girl/2012/02/book-time-with-bess-join-the-bess-crawford-read-a...

As an added bonus to get you started, the ebook of A Duty to the Dead is just $1.99 

for a limited time, so order up today and get reading!

The first 10 people to sign up will receive a free copy of the paperback of A Duty to the Dead (if you're taking advantage of the $1.99 ebook instead, let me know that and we can send you An Impartial Witness).

A Duty to the Dead (Bess Crawford Series #1)  

becke, thanks for the info on the Bess Crawford Read-Along. You should know, though, that I was unsuccessful in joining up.

The club is for people who have their own blog, or who are on Facebook and Twitter. I don't have a blog, and I don't do Facebook or Twitter, so that leaves me out. Just thought I'd let you know so if there are others in the forum like me, they'll know to save themselves the annoyance of trying to join a club that's technologically out of their reach.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka - I'm so sorry you had that hassle! I must have misunderstood who the publisher was targeting. I've sent her a note to see if there is something similar for readers.