Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

becke_davis wrote:

I love the discussions you all get into here!

I'm reading this one now:

Secret Letters  

I've got this on order from my library now. I'm looking forward to reading it, thanks to you, becke.

And now I am reading

Let's Play Dead (Museum Mystery Series #2)  

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Frequent Contributor
ms_linda
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Broken Harbor (Dublin Murder Squad Series #4)  

I love this author!

I can't wait to read the new Tana French. Right now I'm waiting for the ebook price to come down so I'll probably be waiting a while.

I'm currently halfway through Iron House by John Hart. I love his books although they are a bit violent.

Iron House  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

I love the discussions you all get into here!

I'm reading this one now:

Secret Letters  

I've got this on order from my library now. I'm looking forward to reading it, thanks to you, becke.

And now I am reading

Let's Play Dead (Museum Mystery Series #2)  

:-)

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

Devil to Pay  

Finished The Door Between, and now I'm into my second Ellery Queen novel, The Devil to Pay (I have both of these in one paperback).  After this, I have two short story collections (again, in one volume), so I'll see how far I get!

I finished the two Ellery Queen novels I had, and now am into the short stories.  I have a large book (a Got Books selection!) called Ellery Queen's Adventure Omnibus, which is made up of two short story collections, Adventures of Ellery Queen, and New Adventures of Ellery Queen.  I'm only two stories in, but enjoying them!

I've read a lot of Ellery Queen books and short stories but by no means all of them. Do you have a favorite so far?

I really liked the girl, Valerie Jardin, in The Devil to Pay.  Even though these stories were written in the 30s, she is an independent, smart young woman.  In this one, Ellery Queen is kind of tagging along with her on her own investigation, trying to clear the names of her father and boyfriend.  He's using an alias, Hilary King (!).  Of course, in the end, it is Ellery who solves the mystery, but Val takes the lead for much of it.

I've only read four of the short stories so far.  I liked the idea behind the first one, The African Traveler.  In this one, Ellery has been convinced by a college professor to try to teach his investigative methods to some students.  He has selected two male applicants, but finds that the professor's daughter has also pulled strings to get into the class.  His father, Inspector Queen, is allowing them to come in and examine the crime scene after the police have finished their inspection.  Afterwards, Ellery has the students tell him what they observed and what their conclusions are.  Of course, none of them get it right, but they make some good points, and Ellery is more optimistic that this will go well, after all.  I was hoping that there would be more stories about this, but so far there haven't.  Maybe there will be more later, but I'm not sure.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

Devil to Pay  

Finished The Door Between, and now I'm into my second Ellery Queen novel, The Devil to Pay (I have both of these in one paperback).  After this, I have two short story collections (again, in one volume), so I'll see how far I get!

I finished the two Ellery Queen novels I had, and now am into the short stories.  I have a large book (a Got Books selection!) called Ellery Queen's Adventure Omnibus, which is made up of two short story collections, Adventures of Ellery Queen, and New Adventures of Ellery Queen.  I'm only two stories in, but enjoying them!

I've read a lot of Ellery Queen books and short stories but by no means all of them. Do you have a favorite so far?

I really liked the girl, Valerie Jardin, in The Devil to Pay.  Even though these stories were written in the 30s, she is an independent, smart young woman.  In this one, Ellery Queen is kind of tagging along with her on her own investigation, trying to clear the names of her father and boyfriend.  He's using an alias, Hilary King (!).  Of course, in the end, it is Ellery who solves the mystery, but Val takes the lead for much of it.

I've only read four of the short stories so far.  I liked the idea behind the first one, The African Traveler.  In this one, Ellery has been convinced by a college professor to try to teach his investigative methods to some students.  He has selected two male applicants, but finds that the professor's daughter has also pulled strings to get into the class.  His father, Inspector Queen, is allowing them to come in and examine the crime scene after the police have finished their inspection.  Afterwards, Ellery has the students tell him what they observed and what their conclusions are.  Of course, none of them get it right, but they make some good points, and Ellery is more optimistic that this will go well, after all.  I was hoping that there would be more stories about this, but so far there haven't.  Maybe there will be more later, but I'm not sure.

I don't think I read DEVIL TO PAY. I'll check it out!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Tigerlily's Orchids  

Not sure if I mentioned this one!

butterflygoodmorningll2.gif

Frequent Contributor
tree_lover
0 Kudos

Hi, I haven't been on in a really long time.  It is good to be back.  I have read a few books.

Devil's Food (Corinna Chapman Series #3)  

The Hunger Games (Hunger Games Series #1)  

Catching Fire (Hunger Games Series #2)  

A test of wills

A Test of Wills (Inspector Ian Rutledge Series #1)  

An unmarked grave

An Unmarked Grave (Bess Crawford Series #4)  

Now I am currently reading:

A Game of Lies (Hannah Vogel Series #3)  

http://nygirltrustnoone.blogspot.com/
becke_davis
0 Kudos

tree_lover wrote:

Hi, I haven't been on in a really long time.  It is good to be back.  I have read a few books.

A test of wills

An unmarked grave

Welcome back! You've got some excellent books on your list!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

ms_linda wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Iron House  

Oh I really loved this novel too, I was given an arc of it before it was published this was right after Paul went to St. Martin's Press

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Wow, this has been some crazy busy week, this is the first time I've been here this week

I'm almost finished with my series reviews and I'll be opening the pages to

The Twelve (Passage Trilogy Series #2)  in a matter a day or two. Really looking forward to it.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Wow, this has been some crazy busy week, this is the first time I've been here this week

I'm almost finished with my series reviews and I'll be opening the pages to

The Twelve (Passage Trilogy Series #2)  in a matter a day or two. Really looking forward to it.

Ooh, that looks good!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

tree_lover wrote:

A test of wills

An unmarked grave

Welcome back, tree_lover! It's good to see your name pop up again!

Did you enjoy  Devil's Food by Kerry Greenwood? She's one of my favorite mystery writers--I can never decide which one of her series I like better-- the Corinna Chapman or Phryne Fisher. I also see you have read a couple of the Hunger Games books by Suzanne Collins. Did you go see the Huinger Games film? If so, what did you think of it? I also like the Charles Todd mysteries, only this time I DO know which series is my favorite-- I enjoy reading the Ian Rutledge ones, but the Bess Crawford ones are my favorite! Just got An Unmarked Grave from the library and am looking forward to reading it!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

The Penderwicks  

Thanks to all of you who have been posting about enjoying the set of Penderwick books, I got a copy of The Penderwicks from the library yesterday. I started looking through it last evening, got hooked, and couldn't stop reading! Now I'm ready for the next book in the series!

And now I'm getting ready to read the latest in the Bess Crawford series by Charles Todd!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

The Penderwicks  

Thanks to all of you who have been posting about enjoying the set of Penderwick books, I got a copy of The Penderwicks from the library yesterday. I started looking through it last evening, got hooked, and couldn't stop reading! Now I'm ready for the next book in the series!

And now I'm getting ready to read the latest in the Bess Crawford series by Charles Todd!

You've got so much stress in your life right now, I'm glad you can relax with a good book (or two!)!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

The Rose Garden  

Back from Ithaca, NY and arrived at beach house in MD. Time to relax with this book!

Has anyone else read it?

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

The Rose Garden  

Back from Ithaca, NY and arrived at beach house in MD. Time to relax with this book!

Has anyone else read it?

No, but I've heard good things about it!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Miss Me When I'm Gone  

Not one I'm enjoying so far.  I'm not a huge fan of the format.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com