Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
leisure_reader
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

Just finished this one.  Action packed.  sacred traso

And now on to a Free Friday from Barnes and Noble for my Nook:

Will let you all know how it is.

But tomorrow----off to the city to Architectural Artifacts and Salvage One and Jans Antiques---looking for antique Mortise Lock Sets for MysteryLover's bathroom door.  Former owner of the house painted the lock shut!!!!!  ugh  why do people damage history!!!!!!

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
- Eleanor Roosevelt

becke_davis
0 Kudos

leisure_reader wrote:

Just finished this one.  Action packed.  sacred traso

And now on to a Free Friday from Barnes and Noble for my Nook:

Will let you all know how it is.

But tomorrow----off to the city to Architectural Artifacts and Salvage One and Jans Antiques---looking for antique Mortise Lock Sets for MysteryLover's bathroom door.  Former owner of the house painted the lock shut!!!!!  ugh  why do people damage history!!!!!!

Good luck! I've been watching American Pickers - this sounds right up their alley!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Best Detective Stories  

This isn't the cover of the edition I have - it's called BEST DETECTIVE STORIES OF CYRIL HARE so I'm assuming it's the same book. These short stories are great little mysteries, a cross between Agatha Christie and Alfred Hitchcock. Lots of twist endings - loved it!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Just finished a really short, REALLY good book by an author who is new to me:

One D.O.A., One on the Way  

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka

becke, it is darned cold here! I don't think it's quite as cold as what you described as the weather in Chicago, but the wind has come up and I am just glad to be inside. This is going to be a weird week here in Phoenix, weather-wise, as the first few days of the work week are predicted to reach highs of mid 60's, while Friday it's supposed to be up in the low 80's. (!!!**%%@#)

Anyway while I'm enjpying being inside warm and cozy, I must confess that although I finished reading the last two books I mentioned on this thread, I haven't started reading another mystery novel --yet. Instead, I'm re-reading all the good bits about the exploits of Flavia de Luce, in Alan Bradley's latest. Don't quite know what to think about the ending, and don't want to write a spoiler here, for all of those readers who might not have gotten around to reading the book yet. But, the scene where Flavia digs herself out of a grave, all muddied, and gives the vicar's wife a scare, is one of the funniest scenes I've read, so I'm re-reading that and some of the others that follow. Yaroooooo!

Speaking from among the Bones (Flavia de Luce Series #5)  

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka

PS. I guess I must be one of the slowest wits on the planet, as I just now realized that Flavia's beloved Gladys is featured on the cover of the book. (too bad they couldn't fit a bat into the cover somewhere!!!! hee hee!)

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

becke, it is darned cold here! I don't think it's quite as cold as what you described as the weather in Chicago, but the wind has come up and I am just glad to be inside. This is going to be a weird week here in Phoenix, weather-wise, as the first few days of the work week are predicted to reach highs of mid 60's, while Friday it's supposed to be up in the low 80's. (!!!**%%@#)

Anyway while I'm enjpying being inside warm and cozy, I must confess that although I finished reading the last two books I mentioned on this thread, I haven't started reading another mystery novel --yet. Instead, I'm re-reading all the good bits about the exploits of Flavia de Luce, in Alan Bradley's latest. Don't quite know what to think about the ending, and don't want to write a spoiler here, for all of those readers who might not have gotten around to reading the book yet. But, the scene where Flavia digs herself out of a grave, all muddied, and gives the vicar's wife a scare, is one of the funniest scenes I've read, so I'm re-reading that and some of the others that follow. Yaroooooo!

Speaking from among the Bones (Flavia de Luce Series #5)  

This series is a big favorite of mine!

Inspired Contributor
havenwynters
0 Kudos

The Ruso series is a really good series.  It has humor, mystery, romance, intrigue and so forth.  I love the fact that the Ruso is just a medical doctor that ends up being pulled into murder mysteries.  It is hilarious and so is his friend doctor.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Agatha Raisin and the Wellspring of Death  

Just started the seventh Agatha Raisin mystery.  When my best friend asked what I wanted for Christmas, I gave her a list of movies and the titles of the next two Raisin books that I haven't read yet (I'm going slowly through the series and savoring it).  I ended up getting the DVDs of Dark Shadows, X-Men: First Class, and this book.  Enjoying them all!  One of the things that cracks me up about James is that he always snubs Agatha, and then when he sees that she has a new murder to investigate, or a social gathering at her house, he's miserable because he's not included!  He's also jealous at the moment, because Agatha is seeing a man who is twenty years younger!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Glad to read that you are enjoying those Agatha Raisin books, dulcinea3. I just think Agatha is a hoot, and James is like a dog in the manger--he doesn't REALLY want Agatha for himself, at least not when he has her, but let him see her with another man, or have another mystery to solve, and THEN he wants her back! Like the proverbial dog in the manger, is James. No wonder poor Agathat has such a hard time getting over him!

I just finished reading one of Judith Rock's mysteries set in France, and have now started the second one.

The Rhetoric of Death  

A Plague of Lies  

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

To Love and Be Wise (Inspector Alan Grant Series #4)  

I finished the Agatha Raisin book.  I enjoyed it, but it wasn't one of my favorites.  Everything went wrong for Agatha - James' behavior, a new nasty woman in the village, her PR work all went wrong, and the main suspects all took delight in insulting her constantly.

Now I'm reading a Got Books selection, To Love and Be Wise, by Josephine Tey.  This is the first Tey I've read other than The Daughter of Time, and I am enjoying it!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Just finished and enjoyed it very much:

The Secret Friend  

Now reading:

Death in Her Face  

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

To Love and Be Wise (Inspector Alan Grant Series #4)  

I finished the Agatha Raisin book.  I enjoyed it, but it wasn't one of my favorites.  Everything went wrong for Agatha - James' behavior, a new nasty woman in the village, her PR work all went wrong, and the main suspects all took delight in insulting her constantly.

Now I'm reading a Got Books selection, To Love and Be Wise, by Josephine Tey.  This is the first Tey I've read other than The Daughter of Time, and I am enjoying it!

I love Josephine Tey! Here are more of her books:

The Franchise Affair (Inspector Alan Grant Series #3)  

The Daughter of Time (Inspector Alan Grant Series #5)  

Brat Farrar  

A Shilling for Candles (Inspector Alan Grant Series #2)  

The Man in the Queue (Inspector Alan Grant Series #1)  

The Singing Sands (Inspector Alan Grant Series #6)  

Josephine Tey's Crime Novels (unabridged) Miss Pym Disposes, The Franchise Affair, Brat Farrar  

The Man in the Queue  

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Becke, I know that there is another Tey novel in one of the anthologies that you sent me.  BTW, A Shilling for Candles is the basis for the old Hitchcock movie Young and Innocent.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

I'll be starting these this weekend- these are both June 2013 releases and I'll be featuring Beatriz Williams and her debut novel Overseas at General Fiction for March

A Hundred Summers  

The Time Between  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

Becke, I know that there is another Tey novel in one of the anthologies that you sent me.  BTW, A Shilling for Candles is the basis for the old Hitchcock movie Young and Innocent.

I don't think I knew that! (Or if I did, I'd forgotten.) I love that book!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

I'll be starting these this weekend- these are both June 2013 releases and I'll be featuring Beatriz Williams and her debut novel Overseas at General Fiction for March

A Hundred Summers  

The Time Between  

Not more good books! My to-be-read pile has now spread to my desk, the sofa and the dining room table!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Reading this today:

The Crossing Places (Ruth Galloway Series #1)  

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
dhaupt
0 Kudos

I can't believe I forgot this one, my March feature

Overseas  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

I can't believe I forgot this one, my March feature

Overseas  

Well, I don't have to buy it - I see it every day at the top of my to-be-read pile!

But this is up next for me:

The Sound of Broken Glass (Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James Series #15)