Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

I didn't know you were following me...That should be me...Will ck my followers and Follow Back...Susan
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:
I didn't know you were following me...That should be me...Will ck my followers and Follow Back...Susan

Not trying to be a stalker - I must have seen your name on something I repinned. Pinterest is fun but addictive!

Inspired Contributor
j-91
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

I just finished readed the debut novel of Maegan Beaumont, Carved in Darkness. It is a fantastic debut that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Make sure to check out my review at Blood Rose Books and pick up the book when it comes out on May 8.

Cheers

Carved in Darkness 

Proud to be a Bookworm :smileyhappy:

http://j9books.blogspot.com/
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

The Crime at Black Dudley (Albert Campion Series #1)  

Last night I started The Crime at Black Dudley, by Margery Allingham, a Got Books selection.  This is an Albert Campion mystery, the first that I have read (and, I just realized, the first in the series).  I am really enjoying it so far!  If I am correct, Allingham is considered one of the 'grand dames', along with Christie, Sayers, and Marsh.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

Last night I started The Crime at Black Dudley, by Margery Allingham, a Got Books selection.  This is an Albert Campion mystery, the first that I have read (and, I just realized, the first in the series).  I am really enjoying it so far!  If I am correct, Allingham is considered one of the 'grand dames', along with Christie, Sayers, and Marsh.

You are correct! I haven't read a lot of her books but I did read this one and liked it a lot. I don't know why I haven't read them all - they just didn't hook me like Ngaio Marsh's books and Christie's books. I really like Sayers' short stories and I loved Gaudy Night but I'm not a huge fan of Peter Wimsey overall.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

j-91 wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I just finished readed the debut novel of Maegan Beaumont, Carved in Darkness. It is a fantastic debut that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Make sure to check out my review at Blood Rose Books and pick up the book when it comes out on May 8.

Cheers

Carved in Darkness 

Thanks for joining us! I'll check out your review.

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I think if I read it when it first cam out, and I wasn't gay, I may have enjoyed it more than I did.  I'm trying to be nice about it :-)

becke_davis wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

So I finally read a Doris Miles Disney book, and I think I read the wrong one.  The way gay people, without it actually being said, are depecited bothered me quite a bit.  I know the book was written in 1948, and that times were different, but it was so much a part of the book, that I'm not sure I could get over it.  That and since you know who the killer is from the begining, it wasn't much of a mystery.  Despite all that, I did enjoy it enough to be willing to try another book by her.

I don't think I've read this one - the way you describe it, I don't think I'd like it either. What a shame! Most of her books are really good!

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

It's like the Nancy Drew books, Ryan. I read them when I was young and absolutely loved them, but when I tried rereading them a few years ago I was sickened by some of the racist comments in them.

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

So far, I've only reread the first Nancy Drew book, but I'll keep my eyes open for that stuff.

becke_davis wrote:

It's like the Nancy Drew books, Ryan. I read them when I was young and absolutely loved them, but when I tried rereading them a few years ago I was sickened by some of the racist comments in them.

Ryan_G

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke

Just finished reading Kisscut by Karin Slaughter and Evil In All Its Disguises by Hilary Davidson and now I am starting Faithful Place by Tana French.

Kisscut  

Evil in All Its Disguises  

Faithful Place (Dublin Murder Squad Series #3)  

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

You are correct! I haven't read a lot of her books but I did read this one and liked it a lot. I don't know why I haven't read them all - they just didn't hook me like Ngaio Marsh's books and Christie's books. I really like Sayers' short stories and I loved Gaudy Night but I'm not a huge fan of Peter Wimsey overall.

I'm a little more than 3/4 through, and really enjoying it.  I think that if someone is not familiar with Campion, they should definitely read this one first.  I only have vague memories of seeing a Campion series on Mystery years ago.  He is not the main character in this book, that is a doctor who is at a house party.  Campion acts like a lunatic most of the time, and nobody knows who he is, although it appears he is some sort of con man.  The story is exciting and dramatic; aside from a murder, the houseguests are being held prisoner by a gang of crooks, and their rescue came from a most unexpected, coincidental, and funny incident.  Campion's identity still has not been made clear.  I imagine she couldn't keep that up in subsequent books, so I'm happy to have started with this one.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
dulcinea3

dulcinea3 wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

I'm a little more than 3/4 through, and really enjoying it.  I think that if someone is not familiar with Campion, they should definitely read this one first.  I only have vague memories of seeing a Campion series on Mystery years ago.  He is not the main character in this book, that is a doctor who is at a house party.  Campion acts like a lunatic most of the time, and nobody knows who he is, although it appears he is some sort of con man.  The story is exciting and dramatic; aside from a murder, the houseguests are being held prisoner by a gang of crooks, and their rescue came from a most unexpected, coincidental, and funny incident.  Campion's identity still has not been made clear.  I imagine she couldn't keep that up in subsequent books, so I'm happy to have started with this one.

I finished this book and wrote a review on Goodreads that I thought I would share:

This was the first Albert Campion novel by Margery Allingham, and also the first that I have read.  I vaguely remembered having seen a series on TV years ago, but I mistakenly thought that Campion worked for Scotland Yard.  Instead, in this novel he is a mysterious character, obviously not connected to the law.  He generally acts like a lunatic, but is really quite intelligent.  He is not actually the main character here; that is Dr. George Abbershaw, a pathologist who has been invited to a house party at the isolated manor Black Dudley, owned by his friend Wyatt Petrie.  Petrie's uncle, Colonel Coombes, lives there and enjoys having young people about.  Soon, there is a murder, and a gang of criminals holds the guests prisoner.  It is all very exciting and dramatic, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  There is a lot of humor, including an elderly woman who sometimes works there, and has barricaded herself in an upstairs room, trusting in the Lord and her son to eventually rescue her.  In fact, she is so eager for her son to rescue her that she resists attempts by the police to do so!  The only thing that threw me off was that there were no clues as to the murderer's identity or motive, and so there was really no way to figure the mystery out for the reader.  I found the following on wikipedia: "The Campion stories are generally adventures rather than true mysteries, as they rarely feature puzzles that the reader has a chance of solving; it is the characters and situations which carry the story."  That sums it up pretty nicely.  It was fun romp!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

still

Still Life (Armand Gamache Series #1)  

A Study in Scarlet  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Author
Beth_Groundwater
0 Kudos

I'm catching up on Alexander McCall Smith's #1 Ladies Detective Agency series, with

The Miracle at Speedy Motors (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency Series #9)  

--
Beth Groundwater, http://bethgroundwater.com/
DEADLY CURRENTS, 03/11, A REAL BASKET CASE re-release, 11/11
WICKED EDDIES, 05/12, TO HELL IN A HANDBASKET re-release, 11/12
FATAL DESCENT, 06/13, A BASKET OF TROUBLE, 11/13
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Listening to an audio today based upon Ryan's suggestion! Lots of research went into this one! Lots of information that I never knew about before!

Washington  

Also reading and really enjoying this one too!

The Venice Conspiracy  

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt