Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

The Hound of the Baskervilles  

Appointment with Death (Hercule Poirot Series)  

The Tooth Tattoo  

My first goal is to read The Hound of the Baskervilles and Appointment with Death for discussions elsewhere, but now I think I'll be reading The Tooth Tattoo (a Got Books selection) after those, hopefully in time for the author's visit later this month!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

I read "A Study in Scarlet" last year. I thought I had read it before, but apparently not! When I got to the explanation of the mystery about 2/3 through the book, I thought maybe I had grabbed the wrong book from Project Gutenberg.

I have had Still Life on my TBR list for the longest time! I will get there eventually. :smileyhappy:
"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

Listening to an audio today based upon Ryan's suggestion! Lots of research went into this one! Lots of information that I never knew about before!

Washington  

Also reading and really enjoying this one too!

The Venice Conspiracy  

Chernow is a great biographer. I have enjoyed a few of his books, and Washington was no exception.

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

The Hound of the Baskervilles  

Appointment with Death (Hercule Poirot Series)  

The Tooth Tattoo  

My first goal is to read The Hound of the Baskervilles and Appointment with Death for discussions elsewhere, but now I think I'll be reading The Tooth Tattoo (a Got Books selection) after those, hopefully in time for the author's visit later this month!

Peter Lovesey is one of those authors I have wanted to read for a couple of years, but haven't gotten to, yet... Like Louise Penny. I have had

The Last Detective (Peter Diamond Series #1)  on my list for the longest time! Maybe this year will be the year!

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

I'm currently reading

A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire #4)  and I'm going to finish it!!!!

I just completed

The Mummy Case (Amelia Peabody Series #3)  which was hilarious and thoroughly entertaining. I was reading along and I commented to my husband, "Eh, Ramses just pulled a 'Wesley Crusher'." He laughed and replied that this happens a lot in the series.

I'm also re-reading

The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag (Flavia de Luce Series #2) . Love it!

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Got a bit of good reading done over the weekend. First, I finished reading Deanna Raybourn's latest book in the Lady Julia series. Then I read Cloaked in Malice by Annette Blair. I had not read any of Annette's books before, but that book got me so hooked, I could not stop reading(at least, not for long). Finally finished the book around 3 a.m this morning. Now I am all agog to read other books in Blair's supernatural mystery series featuring Mad and her friends. Almost finished re-reading A Red Herring Without Mustard by Alan Bradley. In this book, Flavia has adventures with Gypsies, and amongst other things, discovers a portrait of Harriet, her deceased mother, with the three daughters. I just love that part, especially since Feely and Daffy have been so cruel to Flavia, taunting her that she's not really their sister.

The Dark Enquiry (Lady Julia Grey Series #5)  

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I'm glad you are liking Washington: A Life.  It's one of my favorite biographies.

eadieburke wrote:

Listening to an audio today based upon Ryan's suggestion! Lots of research went into this one! Lots of information that I never knew about before!

Washington  

The Venice Conspiracy  

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

This was my first time reading it, and other than the Mormon stuff, I really enjoyed it.

Still Life I'm really enjoying.  I have the next book in the series as well.

basson_mommy12 wrote:
I read "A Study in Scarlet" last year. I thought I had read it before, but apparently not! When I got to the explanation of the mystery about 2/3 through the book, I thought maybe I had grabbed the wrong book from Project Gutenberg.

I have had Still Life on my TBR list for the longest time! I will get there eventually. :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

I'm glad you are liking Washington: A Life.  It's one of my favorite biographies.

eadieburke wrote:

Washington  

The Venice Conspiracy  

Thanks for suggesting it, Ryan! I'm really enjoying it! I'm on disc 12 and there are 33 discs so I've got a ways to go yet! He just crossed the Delaware River on Christmas in order to surprised the British in Trenton! Chernow really tells you every detail. I am so amazed at all his research!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

This was my first time reading it, and other than the Mormon stuff, I really enjoyed it.

Still Life I'm really enjoying.  I have the next book in the series as well.

basson_mommy12 wrote:

Ryan: Glad you are enjoying Louise Penny - she is one of my favorites authors! I love reading about Three Pines and all the characters!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Hi Eadie...Hoping all goes well...And you recover quickly...I read Fricka's post... Wanted to let you know that Donna Tartt has a new Book coming out ...."The Goldfinch:A Novel a CD and Nook version as well..Must wait until October though..."The Secret Historyjl I recall you liked it..I pinned it ,of course lol.. Take Care..
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:
Hi Eadie...Hoping all goes well...And you recover quickly...I read Fricka's post... Wanted to let you know that Donna Tartt has a new Book coming out ...."The Goldfinch:A Novel a CD and Nook version as well..Must wait until October though..."The Secret Historyjl I recall you liked it..I pinned it ,of course lol.. Take Care..

Thanks, Susan! I'll be on the lookout for The Goldfinch! Yes, I did like The Secret History very much!

I'm looking forward to having my surgery tomorrow! It was suppose to be in February but it got cancelled. I should of had the surgery 2 years ago but the doctors were wanting to "wait and see" and meanwhile I'm living with all the horrible symptoms! At least reading was a good escape and kept my mind busy instead of feeling sorry for myself!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

Thanks, Susan! I'll be on the lookout for The Goldfinch! Yes, I did like The Secret History very much!

I'm looking forward to having my surgery tomorrow! It was suppose to be in February but it got cancelled. I should of had the surgery 2 years ago but the doctors were wanting to "wait and see" and meanwhile I'm living with all the horrible symptoms! At least reading was a good escape and kept my mind busy instead of feeling sorry for myself!

I hope you recover quickly - feel better soon!

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Here's hoping for a quick recovery!

eadieburke wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

My daughter is visiting so I'm not getting much reading done. We might have a reading binge later today. She's reading:

The One I Left Behind  

Reconstructing Amelia  

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Thinking of you today, Eadie, and hoping your surgery goes smoothly and you have a speedy recovery!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

Thinking of you today, Eadie, and hoping your surgery goes smoothly and you have a speedy recovery!

Beautiful card! Here's some flowers for Eadie, too!

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Just got home from my surgery. Everything went well. I look like the slasher got me across the neck but it's red ink and glue with tape. Pretty scary looking but will not be too bad after a couple of weeks. The stitches are on the inside and the outside is glued. Hard to tell the length because of the red ink and tape but I have faith that it won't be too noticeable. Just glad that it's over and everything is benign!

Thanks for all the speedy recovery wishes and prayers! You guys are awesome!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

Just got home from my surgery. Everything went well. I look like the slasher got me across the neck but it's red ink and glue with tape. Pretty scary looking but will not be too bad after a couple of weeks. The stitches are on the inside and the outside is glued. Hard to tell the length because of the red ink and tape but I have faith that it won't be too noticeable. Just glad that it's over and everything is benign!

Thanks for all the speedy recovery wishes and prayers! You guys are awesome!

How are you feeling? I hope you aren't too uncomfortable. Sending lots of hugs and get well wishes your way!

New User
PandaPaws
0 Kudos

Right now I'm working on Robert B. Parker's Fool Me Twice, although I must admit I really miss the late and great author.  The new writers are good, but not as good. 

Also, on a whim I downloaded Likely Suspects by G.K. Parks.  I've never heard anything about the author, but I'm really enjoying the book.  It's nonstop action with some underlying flirtation (and I've been neglecting Fool Me Twice and opting for this instead).  Has anyone else read it or even heard of it? 

Up next I'm going to start on Sue Grafton's Kinsey Milhone series.  I've heard really good things about it, but I've never read any of her work.