Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

eadieburke wrote:

Read these last week:

The Proper Care and Maintenance of Friendship  

One Good Friend Deserves Another  

Getting ready to read this for Debbie's May Author Visit

Friendship Makes the Heart Grow Fonder  

Thanks for being there Eadie :smileyhappy:

How did you like the PJ Tracy Snow Blind and have you read her whole series?

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

Read these last week:

The Proper Care and Maintenance of Friendship  

One Good Friend Deserves Another  

Getting ready to read this for Debbie's May Author Visit

Friendship Makes the Heart Grow Fonder  

Thanks for being there Eadie :smileyhappy:

How did you like the PJ Tracy Snow Blind and have you read her whole series?

I like Snow Blind - yes I have been listening to the whole series.

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

A bit off my usual mystery reading--got a bit of the anglophile bug when I went to the library last week.

So: Jane Austen in Style by Susan Watkins--a book covering the "society and surroundings of a group of people of unsurpassed elegance and refinement in the later decades of the eighteenth century and at the beginning of an era of profound change that followed it." Next, Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle, by the Countess of Carnavon. Yep, that's the author's name and how she signs herself. Couldn't find a Christian first name given in the book at all. Well, guess I couldn't give up mysteries altogether, though the setting for this one is still in the British Isles.

A Cornish Mystery: The Valley of the Shadow by Carola Dunn. It's the third book in Dunn's Cornish Mystery series.

Valley of the Shadow (Cornish Mystery Series #3)  

Jane Austen  

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

I've been reading another eclectic mix. Two of the books would fit into an historical sub-genre; one of them a regency romance by one of my favorite authors who also wrote superb mystery novels, and the other by the author of noted historical books with titles like The Other Boleyn Girl. That would be Georgette Heyer and Phillipa Gregory, the authors of the books. Then I mixed in a more modern mystery by Jimmie Ruth Evans,(a nom de plume of Dean James, whom some of the readers on this forum would recognize as the author of the Miranda James mysteries).

Unknown Ajax  

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Finishing up this- sequel to Firefly Lane

Fly Away  

Read this before:

Firefly Lane 

Reading this next:

The Truth of All Things   

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

Fly Away  

Read this before:

Firefly Lane 

Reading this next:

The Truth of All Things   

eadie, those books look interesting, especially The Truth of All Things. Reading the blurb about the way that the prostitute's body was laid out made me think of The DaVinci Code. I've put that on my TBR pile now(the book you read, not TDC!!!:catwink:)

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

Fly Away  

Read this before:

Firefly Lane 

Reading this next:

The Truth of All Things   

eadie, those books look interesting, especially The Truth of All Things. Reading the blurb about the way that the prostitute's body was laid out made me think of The DaVinci Code. I've put that on my TBR pile now(the book you read, not TDC!!!:catwink:)

Fricka: I thought that one sounded good too! Can't wait to read it!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

Fly Away  

Read this before:

Firefly Lane 

Reading this next:

The Truth of All Things   

Hi Eadie, you'll have to let us know what you think of Kristin's Fly Away it's gotten mixed reviews and that's unusual for her.

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

Fly Away  

Read this before:

Firefly Lane 

Reading this next:

The Truth of All Things   

Hi Eadie, you'll have to let us know what you think of Kristin's Fly Away it's gotten mixed reviews and that's unusual for her.

Deb: I have about 100 more pages to read. I can understand the mixed reviews since it basically is a lot of flashbacks from the first book but I am hoping that the ending will throw a good punch! lol

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Mick Herron is going to be visiting with us VERY soon. I started reading his series with Book One - I like it so much I just ordered the in-between books! (I have both his first and most recent books here, but I want to read them all now!)

Down Cemetery Road  

The Last Voice You Hear  

Reconstruction  

Why We Die  

Smoke and Whispers  

Slow Horses  

All the Livelong Day & Other Stories  

Dead Lions  

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

I'm around 3/4 through a new book by Claire Donally, Cat Nap.

The Big Kitty (Sunny and Shadow Mystery Series #1)   Guess I will have to go and read the first book in the series after I finish with this book. Has anyone else on the forum read the first book, and if so, how did you like it?

Cat Nap (Sunny and Shadow Mystery Series #2)  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

The Big Kitty (Sunny and Shadow Mystery Series #1)   Guess I will have to go and read the first book in the series after I finish with this book. Has anyone else on the forum read the first book, and if so, how did you like it?

Oooh - I need to get these for my daughter!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Fricka wrote:

becke, these would make great presents for your daughter, especially if she has a cat or likes cozy mysteries featuring cats. Even though I have yet to read the first book, I'm thinking that because there IS a second book, this is going to be a developing series. For cat lovers, I can share some information that Donally works into the book. Sunny, the protagonist, has adotpted Shadow, who has had a bad experience with being abandoned by previous owners. Sunny goes through a learning curve in Cat Nap as she finds that Shadow is threatened by the presence of a puppy belonging to the lady-friend of Sunny's dad, Mike.  Even though the puppy is a friendly golden retriever, Shadow is dismayed at finding his turf invaded. The last couple of pages of the book have Jane, the veterninarian friend of Sunny, guiding her, and she helps Shadow adjust to the puppy's presence in their home. The scene fits into the mystery, but there's good advice there and in other parts of the book as well,  for owners of adopted cats. As an added plus, the cover art  is by Mary Ann Lasher, one of my favorite book-cover illustrators.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Fricka wrote:

becke, these would make great presents for your daughter, especially if she has a cat or likes cozy mysteries featuring cats. Even though I have yet to read the first book, I'm thinking that because there IS a second book, this is going to be a developing series. For cat lovers, I can share some information that Donally works into the book. Sunny, the protagonist, has adotpted Shadow, who has had a bad experience with being abandoned by previous owners. Sunny goes through a learning curve in Cat Nap as she finds that Shadow is threatened by the presence of a puppy belonging to the lady-friend of Sunny's dad, Mike.  Even though the puppy is a friendly golden retriever, Shadow is dismayed at finding his turf invaded. The last couple of pages of the book have Jane, the veterninarian friend of Sunny, guiding her, and she helps Shadow adjust to the puppy's presence in their home. The scene fits into the mystery, but there's good advice there and in other parts of the book as well,  for owners of adopted cats. As an added plus, the cover art  is by Mary Ann Lasher, one of my favorite book-cover illustrators.

The covers are gorgeous! My daughter is mad about cats and she likes cozies, so I'll definitely get these for her. Thanks for the recommendation!

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Pardonable Lies (Maisie Dobbs Series #3)  

Messenger of Truth (Maisie Dobbs Series #4)  

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com