Oooh - I remember this one!

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

becke_davis wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

I think I read that one, too, when we had the Charlotte Armstrong American Classics feature.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

The Old Buzzard Had it Coming  

Did you like the book, becke? Donis Casey was one of the authors featured at last year's Cozy Con in Phoenix, so I got to meet her besides hearing her speak on a couple of panels. I just loved the title of the book, and enjoyed reading it. I understand from Donis that the newest book in the Alafair series is set in Phoenix where Alafair and her family move in order to facilitate a more healthful environment for one of their sickly children( can't remember if the malady was tuberculosis or asthma, but Phoenix and Tucson used to be known as havens for people who had breathing problems).

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Sorry I've been MIA for a few days from the forum. Our computer evidently got a viral infection, and the e-amil and internet functions were not working. Our "computer geek" genius finally made it to our home last night, and cleaned out the computer, but plans to return Sunday for a further examination. If you notice my absence from the forum next week, you will know why.

Anyhooo. Here's a run of the books I've read recently:Behold a Pale Horse by Peter Tremayne. It's sort of a prequel to some of the Sister Fidelma stories, as it is not set in Ireland but on the "continent" (as English call it) of Europe. As usual, a real page turner. Loved it! Then I read Laura Childs' Sweet Tea Revenge, which is another of her Indigo Tea Shop mysteries featuring Theodosia Browning. In this book, Theo must find the killer of her "friend" Delaine's fiance. Love all the tea and goodies referenced in the book! Last but not least, to use a cliche, so excuse please, I recently found that Catriona McPherson had written earlier Dandy Gilver books, and so I checked as many out from my local branch library as possible. The library didn't have one of the books so I ended up ordering it online. Highly recommend it for anyone who likes a circus or a good mystery!

The Winter Ground  

Sweet Tea Revenge (Tea Shop Series #14)  

Behold a Pale Horse  

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

The Old Buzzard Had it Coming  

Did you like the book, becke? Donis Casey was one of the authors featured at last year's Cozy Con in Phoenix, so I got to meet her besides hearing her speak on a couple of panels. I just loved the title of the book, and enjoyed reading it. I understand from Donis that the newest book in the Alafair series is set in Phoenix where Alafair and her family move in order to facilitate a more healthful environment for one of their sickly children( can't remember if the malady was tuberculosis or asthma, but Phoenix and Tucson used to be known as havens for people who had breathing problems).

Yes, it's a good mystery plus it's very interesting from a historical standpoint. I don't always read series in order, but I'm glad I started this one with book one. I'm looking forward to reading more of her books!

She's our featured author next week, BTW!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The Sweet Dead Life  

I'm reading a couple of YA novels for a change of pace.

Maid of Secrets  

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I love the movie with Audrey Trotter and Claude Raines as much as I enjoyed the book

dulcinea3 wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

I think I read that one, too, when we had the Charlotte Armstrong American Classics feature.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

jam

Jamaica Inn  

becke_davis

Ryan_G wrote:

jam

Jamaica Inn  

I loved the setting of this book - it really added to the story!

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

jam

Jamaica Inn  

Great novel!  Hope you enjoy it!  If you do, try Frenchman's Creek, too, if you haven't read it already.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I've been busy helping my daughter. My first grandson, Finn Michael Cody, is due May 25th. But, I have been reading too!

Finished these:

Tell No One  

The Unfinished Work of Elizabeth D.  

Blind Justice (Sir John Fielding Series #1)  

Listening to this on tape:

Murder in Grub Street (Sir John Fielding Series #2) 

Starting this today: 

Down Cemetery Road  

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

jam

Jamaica Inn  

Great novel!  Hope you enjoy it!  If you do, try Frenchman's Creek, too, if you haven't read it already.

I have both those DuMaurier novels on my TBR pile.

I have been rather absent, even more than usual, lately! So crazy-busy at the end of the school year with everything "ending" for the summer, ballet recitals, piano recitals, courts of honor and bridging ceremonies. CRAZY!

I also have been starting and stopping a lot of books and it's been frustrating! I had the audio book for

Cloud Atlas  , but it got to chapter 23 and starting repeating chapter 8. I checked the e-book to see if this is what was actually supposed to be happening, because I know the format of the novel is a bit different, but no, it really WAS screwed up. So, I kept reading the e-book, but that meant I wasn't reading an audio book, so I tried downloading

A Tale of Two Cities (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)  but, alas, this audiobook also failed! :smileyfrustrated: I was out teaching the other day and I forgot my Nook at home and had two hours with nothing to do, so I downloaded the audio version of

A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire #4)  which was the book I HAD been reading on my Nook before "Cloud Atlas" superceded it. What a great happenstance! I'm loving the audio version of the book and it hasn't gone kablooey yet!

I also read

Ivy and Bean (Ivy and Bean Series #1)  per the demand of my seven-year-old daughter. And, I've started reading

A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet Series #1)  with my ten-year-old son.

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I just finished Jamaica Inn last night, and I loved it.  I haven't read the other one, but what's really funny, I just stumbled upon the title on another blog, she is just starting on the book.

dulcinea3 wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

jam

Jamaica Inn  

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

You know, I never read A Wrinkle in Time.

basson_mommy12 wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

jam

Jamaica Inn  

I have both those DuMaurier novels on my TBR pile.

I have been rather absent, even more than usual, lately! So crazy-busy at the end of the school year with everything "ending" for the summer, ballet recitals, piano recitals, courts of honor and bridging ceremonies. CRAZY!

I also have been starting and stopping a lot of books and it's been frustrating! I had the audio book for

Cloud Atlas  , but it got to chapter 23 and starting repeating chapter 8. I checked the e-book to see if this is what was actually supposed to be happening, because I know the format of the novel is a bit different, but no, it really WAS screwed up. So, I kept reading the e-book, but that meant I wasn't reading an audio book, so I tried downloading

A Tale of Two Cities (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)  but, alas, this audiobook also failed! :smileyfrustrated: I was out teaching the other day and I forgot my Nook at home and had two hours with nothing to do, so I downloaded the audio version of

A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire #4)  which was the book I HAD been reading on my Nook before "Cloud Atlas" superceded it. What a great happenstance! I'm loving the audio version of the book and it hasn't gone kablooey yet!

I also read

Ivy and Bean (Ivy and Bean Series #1)  per the demand of my seven-year-old daughter. And, I've started reading

A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet Series #1)  with my ten-year-old son.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

I've been busy helping my daughter. My first grandson, Finn Michael Cody, is due May 25th. But, I have been reading too!

Finished these:

Tell No One  

Starting this today: 

Down Cemetery Road  

eadie, be sure to let us know when your grandson arrives. So exciting to welcome a new little person into the family!

Our "littles" are walking but not yet talking. Looks like my grand-niece is going through the "climbing" stage now.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

I've been off the forum while our computer has been getting cleaned out by our Computer Wizard, so I'm sure I've already forgotten the titles of some of the books I read recently. Just finished last night with the latest of the Cats in Trouble books by Leann Sweeney. Loved it and highly recommend it for anyone who likes a page-turning cozy mystery.

The Cat, the Mill, and the Murder  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

I've been off the forum while our computer has been getting cleaned out by our Computer Wizard, so I'm sure I've already forgotten the titles of some of the books I read recently. Just finished last night with the latest of the Cats in Trouble books by Leann Sweeney. Loved it and highly recommend it for anyone who likes a page-turning cozy mystery.

The Cat, the Mill, and the Murder  

Welcome back, Fricka! I just got back from a VERY short trip to Cincinnati. (1 1/2 days.) I brought a book with me that I THOUGHT was a new release. I think it just came out in paperback but it turns out I read it when it first came out as a hardback. I have so many books waiting to be read, I hardly ever re-read anything these days. But once I started reading this in the car, I had to read it again.

Never Tell  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

Finished these:

Tell No One  

Starting this today: 

Down Cemetery Road  

eadie, be sure to let us know when your grandson arrives. So exciting to welcome a new little person into the family!

Our "littles" are walking but not yet talking. Looks like my grand-niece is going through the "climbing" stage now.

So exciting, Eadie! My grandbaby arrived a week or two early. Maybe you'll get an early surprise, too! Enjoy your time with that baby. I can't believe Adaline is almost 10 months old!!