Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

Ryan_G wrote:

Recently finished two Agatha Christie books.

Death on the Nile (Hercule Poirot Series)  

Appointment with Death (Hercule Poirot Series)  

Those two are among my favorites!  We're only a few books ahead of you in the Agatha Christie Lovers group on Goodreads.  This month we're doing The Regatta Mystery short story collection, and next month is that perennial favorite And Then There Were None.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I keep forgetting about that group.  Next up is Hercule Poirot's Christmas, but I may wait until winter to read it.

dulcinea3 wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

Those two are among my favorites!  We're only a few books ahead of you in the Agatha Christie Lovers group on Goodreads.  This month we're doing The Regatta Mystery short story collection, and next month is that perennial favorite And Then There Were None.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

I may have to join the discussion on "And Then There Were None" Love that book!

I was just going to say that those two, Death on the Nile & Appointment with Death, are two of my faves as well!

I'm moving on to

Patriot Games  and picking up

Dead Ever After (Sookie Stackhouse / Southern Vampire Series #13)  today to complete the series. This is kindof bittersweet. I really enjoyed the first 5 or 6 in this series, but then they began to ebb off. Harris is a gifted and entertaining author, though. I may have to try out some of her other series.

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

The Never List 

VERY scary!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

The Sociopath Next Door  

I read that book recently too, becke. Very chilling, but it should be required reading for all Americans, not just mystery fans.

Anyway, since I am at least temporarily able to get on the forum, I am finishish up with A Spear of Summer Grass by Deanna Raybourn. I am enjoying the book, but I still prefer her Lady Julia series of mysteries.

Also found a book by an author whose work I hadn't read before: The Dead Shall Not Restby Tessa Harris. For those readers who like historical context with their mysteries, this would be right up their alley. Harris has interwoven her mystery with real historical figures such as the Irish giant, Charles Byrne, and Dr. John Hunter. The title of the book is in reference to the practice of grave-robbing by unsavory men hired to take bodies for the use of "unscrupulous scientists".

A Spear of Summer Grass  

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

The Sociopath Next Door  

I read that book recently too, becke. Very chilling, but it should be required reading for all Americans, not just mystery fans.

Anyway, since I am at least temporarily able to get on the forum, I am finishish up with A Spear of Summer Grass by Deanna Raybourn. I am enjoying the book, but I still prefer her Lady Julia series of mysteries.

Also found a book by an author whose work I hadn't read before: The Dead Shall Not Restby Tessa Harris. For those readers who like historical context with their mysteries, this would be right up their alley. Harris has interwoven her mystery with real historical figures such as the Irish giant, Charles Byrne, and Dr. John Hunter. The title of the book is in reference to the practice of grave-robbing by unsavory men hired to take bodies for the use of "unscrupulous scientists".

A Spear of Summer Grass  

Ooh - both of those sound good! How did I miss a new Deanna Raybourn??

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

Ooh - this looks fun!

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

It's more spy than murder mystery, but it's good. 

becke_davis wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

Ooh - this looks fun!

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Dead, White, and Blue (Death on Demand Series #23)  

The new Death on Demand - just in time for the 4th of July!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

Dead, White, and Blue (Death on Demand Series #23)  

The new Death on Demand - just in time for the 4th of July!!!

I have so many books in my to-be-read pile, I don't know what to read next. I wish I could read multiple books at once!

Inspired Contributor
havenwynters
0 Kudos

Secondhand Spirits (Witchcraft Mystery Series #1)  I absolutely love this series. I am very picky when it comes to books, but I haven't been able to put this one down.  Thanks for suggesting it to me

becke_davis
0 Kudos

havenwynters wrote:

Secondhand Spirits (Witchcraft Mystery Series #1)  I absolutely love this series. I am very picky when it comes to books, but I haven't been able to put this one down.  Thanks for suggesting it to me

I love that series, too!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I forgot to mention this one:

The Keepers of the Library  

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

I am reading "A Dance with Dragons" (Song of Fire and Ice) and "City of Dark Magic" which was most-highly recommended to me by a good friend. So far, I am enjoying the quirky tale. I quickly finished "Dead Ever After" the final Southern Vampire Sookie Stackhouse novel. I am glad the series is over. After book #6 or so, it started to lose steam. -- Ruth
"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

The Tale of Castle Cottage (Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter Series #8)  

I've been saving this one because my understanding is that it is the last in the series, and I didn't want it to end!  But finally I am reading it, and having a hard time putting it down!  Not really because it is so exciting, as these are very gentle mysteries, but because I love the writing and characters so much.  Beatrix is engaged to Will Heelis (this is based on real life), but her over-demanding parents are being really nasty about it, and now Will's family is objecting because they are High Church, and the Potters are Dissenters. And now Beatrix' brother Bertram has shown up and is intending to do something that will probably make things worse.  I hope they can get past this and find happiness, but they are both starting to think it will never happen.  In the meantime, a gang of thieving rats has moved into the village, and the resident animals have to figure out how to take care of this problem.  Beatrix' contractor or someone working for him may be stealing materials, and the head carpenter, who was just fired, has been found hanged - is it suicide or murder?