Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?


Fricka wrote:

Just finished reading two new mysteries, both excellent:

Thread and Buried by Janet Bolin, and The Diva Frosts a Cupcake by Krista Davis

Thread and Buried (Threadville Mystery Series #3)  

 

 


Thread and Buried (Threadville Mystery Series #3) 

 

 

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

One of these is up next for me:

 

The Deepest Night  

Havana Lost  

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?


becke_davis wrote:

Yarn to Go (Yarn Retreat Series #1)  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


My comments were eaten yet again. I'm about to go watch Broadchurch. I'll try again with the comments later. Not having much luck on the forum lately. :-(

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
Posts: 743
Registered: ‎05-27-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

Ok, here goes! I'm going to TRY to post, though I haven't been successful lately.

 

I have been reading quite a bit lately, which feels good. :smileyhappy:

 

I am finished with

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments Series #1) . I still don't know how I feel about this book. It kicks off a huge YA series. I thought the pacing was good and the adolescent characters were strong.

 

BUT. The adult characters were not drawn well. There were tropes aplenty, which made it very predictable. I tried to remind myself that this is targeted to young adults who haven't read all the tropes and haven't the breadth of experience to make them jaundiced of such "twists" and devices exploited here. This may be a series I have to leave for the kids.

 

I am also almost done with

A Wizard of Earthsea . I have really LOVED this book - definitely a 5-star coming-of-age tale. I can see why many screen versions of this story have failed to connect with audiences that love the book.

 

Here's hoping this message posts!

 

Update: Just looks like the images won't post, but at least the book title links are still present so you all know what I was talking about!

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?


basson_mommy12 wrote:

Ok, here goes! I'm going to TRY to post, though I haven't been successful lately.

 

I have been reading quite a bit lately, which feels good. :smileyhappy:

 

I am finished with

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments Series #1) . I still don't know how I feel about this book. It kicks off a huge YA series. I thought the pacing was good and the adolescent characters were strong.

 

BUT. The adult characters were not drawn well. There were tropes aplenty, which made it very predictable. I tried to remind myself that this is targeted to young adults who haven't read all the tropes and haven't the breadth of experience to make them jaundiced of such "twists" and devices exploited here. This may be a series I have to leave for the kids.

 

I am also almost done with

A Wizard of Earthsea . I have really LOVED this book - definitely a 5-star coming-of-age tale. I can see why many screen versions of this story have failed to connect with audiences that love the book.

 

Here's hoping this message posts!

 

Update: Just looks like the images won't post, but at least the book title links are still present so you all know what I was talking about!


I love Ursula LeGuin but I never read the Earthsea series. Thanks for this update - I'm going to enjoy following this series!

 

I just read a wonderful book:

 

The Ocean at the End of the Lane  

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
Posts: 2,237
Registered: ‎05-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?


becke_davis wrote:

Fricka wrote:

Just finished reading two new mysteries, both excellent:

Thread and Buried by Janet Bolin, and The Diva Frosts a Cupcake by Krista Davis

Thread and Buried (Threadville Mystery Series #3)  

 

 


Thread and Buried (Threadville Mystery Series #3) 

 

 

 


Thanks, becke, for posting the covers for those books I read. you always have the magic touch!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
Posts: 2,237
Registered: ‎05-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

Well, I thought I could piggyback becke's post to get the images of Thread and Buried and The Diva Frosts a Cupcake on here, but no go. The system still won't put the images on my posts! It's a shame too, as I really love the Robin Moline illustrations that are on Janet Bolin's Threadville books, and the detail on Krista Davis' books always gives a hint as to something that's going on in the book. Don't want to spoil the book for anyone who hasn't read Krista's latest, but here's a  little Chihuahua in a tutu and the long-eared dog next to it, both of which feature in the story line this time. (Okay, Natasha thinks that Dogs are "the next big thing", so she gets one even though she doesn't like them, and the dog she gets hates her and keeps biting her! Hilarious!)

 

Just finished reading Scent to Kill by Chrystle Fiedler. It's the follow up to Death Drops, and it did not disappoint. Anyone interested in Aromatherapy or natural solutions for health problems should find these mysteries very instructive reading.

Scent to Kill (Natural Remedies Mystery Series #2)  

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
Posts: 2,237
Registered: ‎05-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

Annnd, once again, the illustration of the book disappeared once I hit the Post key. Rats!

The Book of Love  

Also have been reading The Book Of Love by Kathleen McGowan. Anyone who enjoyed The DaVinci Code will find McGowan's books an interesting cournterpart. This is the second book in the series.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?


Fricka wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Fricka wrote:

Just finished reading two new mysteries, both excellent:

Thread and Buried by Janet Bolin, and The Diva Frosts a Cupcake by Krista Davis

Thread and Buried (Threadville Mystery Series #3)  

 

 


Thread and Buried (Threadville Mystery Series #3) 

 

 

 


Thanks, becke, for posting the covers for those books I read. you always have the magic touch!


Not always! I've had trouble with images lately, too. ;-)

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
Posts: 4,389
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

Jane and the Stillroom Maid (Jane Austen Series #5)  

Jane and the Prisoner of Wool House (Jane Austen Series #6)  

 

Since Stephanie Barron is coming, I thought I'd finally get around to a couple of her Jane Austen series that I've had on my TBR shelf for a while.  So I've started reading Jane and the Stillroom Maid, fifth in that series (I am way behind! I think there are 11 so far.).  I also have Jane and the Prisoner of Wool House (#6) on the shelf.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?


dulcinea3 wrote:

Jane and the Stillroom Maid (Jane Austen Series #5)  

Jane and the Prisoner of Wool House (Jane Austen Series #6)  

 

Since Stephanie Barron is coming, I thought I'd finally get around to a couple of her Jane Austen series that I've had on my TBR shelf for a while.  So I've started reading Jane and the Stillroom Maid, fifth in that series (I am way behind! I think there are 11 so far.).  I also have Jane and the Prisoner of Wool House (#6) on the shelf.


I have several books in this series in my TBR pile. I hope my suitcase won't be overweight when we go to Portland tomorrow. I'm bringing my Nook but also bringing books. Now I just hope I'll have time to read. When I went to Florida I didn't have time to read a single page!

 

FYI - I leave tomorrow lunchtime, back on Tuesday, September 3. I HOPE I'll be able to post things while I'm gone - fingers crossed!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
Posts: 2,237
Registered: ‎05-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

dulcinea3 and becke, I have read all of Stephanie Barron's Jane Austen series. I especially enjoyed reading the two latest books in the series, Jane and the Madness of Lord Byron, and Jane and the Canterbury Tale. I was fortunate enough to attend a book signing with Stephanie(who incidentally has written books under her real name of Francine Matthews). She had some pithy comments about Jane's sister Cassandra, so I would be interested to get her take on some news that Jane Austen had apparently died of arsenic poisoning. Certainly am looking forward to Stephanie's visit here!

Jane and the Madness of Lord Byron (Jane Austen Series #10)  

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
Posts: 4,389
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

Cassandra does come across as a bit of a prig in Barron's books, I think.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
Posts: 2,237
Registered: ‎05-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

That Flanders book looks very interesting, becke! I've been reading some of the books from the Sir John Fielding series by Bruce Alexander, and Sir John is the historical character who set up the Bow Street Runners, probably a precursor to Scotland Yard, so I think the details that Flanders provides in The Invention of Murder should be of particular interest to me.

Have just started reading The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith. I doubt if there are many people who don't already know that Galbraith is a pen name used by JK Rowling. I'm almost afraid to read the book, as I am not sure if I will be disappointed or not. I can see why Rowling was furious when the information was leaked to the public! Now she will not know whether people are reading those books because they actually like them, or because the name JK Rowling is attached to it.

I'm also re-reading one of my fave Kerry Greenwood Phryne Fisher books, Dead Man's Chest.

Dead Man's Chest (Phryne Fisher Series #18)  

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?


Fricka wrote:

That Flanders book looks very interesting, becke! I've been reading some of the books from the Sir John Fielding series by Bruce Alexander, and Sir John is the historical character who set up the Bow Street Runners, probably a precursor to Scotland Yard, so I think the details that Flanders provides in The Invention of Murder should be of particular interest to me.

Have just started reading The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith. I doubt if there are many people who don't already know that Galbraith is a pen name used by JK Rowling. I'm almost afraid to read the book, as I am not sure if I will be disappointed or not. I can see why Rowling was furious when the information was leaked to the public! Now she will not know whether people are reading those books because they actually like them, or because the name JK Rowling is attached to it.

I'm also re-reading one of my fave Kerry Greenwood Phryne Fisher books, Dead Man's Chest.

Dead Man's Chest (Phryne Fisher Series #18)  


It's a little gruesome but VERY interesting! Did you know that in the 1800s crime scenes were preserved - dead bodies and all - until the members of the jury could be taken through to see everything in place. Ugh! No "SOCO" teams back in the day! (Scene of the crime officers.)

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
Posts: 4,012
Registered: ‎11-01-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

Frica, you won't be disappointed as she carries the tale very nicely and proves she can write something other than Harry Potter.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost