becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

dulcinea3 wrote:

Fricka wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

A Presumption of Death  

Finished Dark Threat, and enjoyed it very much!  BTW, the cover with the low-cut-dressed women had very little to do with the story - the two characters they may have represented would never have been dressed like that!

Now I am finally getting around to A Presumption of Death, by Jill Paton Walsh, based on Dorothy L. Sayers.  In the first book, Thrones, Dominations, Paton Walsh had completed one of Sayers' own novels; in this one, she based it on some notes that Sayers had made for how she envisioned Lord Peter, Harriet, etc., during the years of WWII.  I also have the third, The Attenbury Emeralds, which I believe is based on a case mentioned in the Sayers novels, so I hope to go on to that one after this.

dulcinea3, I hope you are enjoying those Lord Peter/Harriet Wimsey books. I know some purists don't count any of the Sayers books past Busman's Honeymoon, but I thought Jill Paton Walsh did an admirable job on completing the Sayers book, Thrones, Dominations. and I've gone on to read the continuing series with A Presumption of Death and The Attenbury Emeralds. Have you read any of Paton Walsh's other mystery books? She has, I believe, four Imogen Quy mystery books, and I think the most recent, The Bad Quarto, is a minor masterpiece. I highly recommend it, not only because of the Oxford setting, but because the plot line runs around a performance of "The Bad Quarto", also known as a somewhat earlier or even inferior, version of Shakespeare's Hamlet.

The Bad Quarto (Imogen Quy Series #4)  

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the Paton Walsh Wimsey books, Fricka!  It's been a while since I read any of my Sayers mysteries, so if there's any difference in style, I wouldn't notice it, anyway.  So far (several chapters in) I'm enjoying it.  Harriet is at their country home with their two little sons, and Peter's sister's three children, to get out of London during the blitz.  Peter is doing some top-secret work abroad, but I'm hoping he will make an appearance eventually!

No, I haven't read any of her other books.  At the moment I'm trying to refrain from spending money, as I still am unemployed.  I've been very good this year - I believe I have only bought three books!  Two classics (Dickens' The Pickwick Papers and Gaskell's Ruth) and one mystery - the latest Death on Demand, Dead, White and Blue!  Luckily, I have lots and lots of TBR, so I have not been wanting for things to read!  I'm finally making a dent in all those Got Books!  So, Becke, you can feel good that you have contributed to my hunger for mystery at a time when I can't afford to buy them!

dulcinea3 wrote:

Fricka wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

A Presumption of Death  

Finished Dark Threat, and enjoyed it very much!  BTW, the cover with the low-cut-dressed women had very little to do with the story - the two characters they may have represented would never have been dressed like that!

Now I am finally getting around to A Presumption of Death, by Jill Paton Walsh, based on Dorothy L. Sayers.  In the first book, Thrones, Dominations, Paton Walsh had completed one of Sayers' own novels; in this one, she based it on some notes that Sayers had made for how she envisioned Lord Peter, Harriet, etc., during the years of WWII.  I also have the third, The Attenbury Emeralds, which I believe is based on a case mentioned in the Sayers novels, so I hope to go on to that one after this.

dulcinea3, I hope you are enjoying those Lord Peter/Harriet Wimsey books. I know some purists don't count any of the Sayers books past Busman's Honeymoon, but I thought Jill Paton Walsh did an admirable job on completing the Sayers book, Thrones, Dominations. and I've gone on to read the continuing series with A Presumption of Death and The Attenbury Emeralds. Have you read any of Paton Walsh's other mystery books? She has, I believe, four Imogen Quy mystery books, and I think the most recent, The Bad Quarto, is a minor masterpiece. I highly recommend it, not only because of the Oxford setting, but because the plot line runs around a performance of "The Bad Quarto", also known as a somewhat earlier or even inferior, version of Shakespeare's Hamlet.

The Bad Quarto (Imogen Quy Series #4)  

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the Paton Walsh Wimsey books, Fricka!  It's been a while since I read any of my Sayers mysteries, so if there's any difference in style, I wouldn't notice it, anyway.  So far (several chapters in) I'm enjoying it.  Harriet is at their country home with their two little sons, and Peter's sister's three children, to get out of London during the blitz.  Peter is doing some top-secret work abroad, but I'm hoping he will make an appearance eventually!

No, I haven't read any of her other books.  At the moment I'm trying to refrain from spending money, as I still am unemployed.  I've been very good this year - I believe I have only bought three books!  Two classics (Dickens' The Pickwick Papers and Gaskell's Ruth) and one mystery - the latest Death on Demand, Dead, White and Blue!  Luckily, I have lots and lots of TBR, so I have not been wanting for things to read!  I'm finally making a dent in all those Got Books!  So, Becke, you can feel good that you have contributed to my hunger for mystery at a time when I can't afford to buy them!

I'll send along a few more - can't have you run out of reading material! Good luck on finding work!

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Thanks, Fricka and Becke. It's been very frustrating, as it's been over two years now, and the longer I am out of work, the more new versions of the software are released, so the further I fall behind, the less anyone is likely to be interested.  I do get emails from recruiters about jobs all over the country, but I want something local. My mother turns 90 this week, and with my brother and his family in Florida, I like to be near her, as well as I grew up here and don't want to be uprooted.  With the economy, few jobs are opening up, and the handful that do, I guess so many people apply that they don't even bother to respond to applications.  It's not like it was when I started, when if you knew COBOL, you could work anywhere.  Now it's so specialized that my skills are specific to PeopleSoft systems only.  And I do love what I do, too, so I just hope something comes along.

Oh, well, more time to read!  Since I'm nocturnal by nature, it's not so bad now if I stay up most of the night, because I want to finish up a book!

Becke, don't feel you have to go out of your way for me.  I know how busy you are these days, with Adaline, and the recent wedding and your daughter moving up from Florida!  I really appreciate all the ones you've sent already, and I've gotten to read some great authors I hadn't before (loved the Patricia Wentworths I just read!)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

Thanks, Fricka and Becke. It's been very frustrating, as it's been over two years now, and the longer I am out of work, the more new versions of the software are released, so the further I fall behind, the less anyone is likely to be interested.  I do get emails from recruiters about jobs all over the country, but I want something local. My mother turns 90 this week, and with my brother and his family in Florida, I like to be near her, as well as I grew up here and don't want to be uprooted.  With the economy, few jobs are opening up, and the handful that do, I guess so many people apply that they don't even bother to respond to applications.  It's not like it was when I started, when if you knew COBOL, you could work anywhere.  Now it's so specialized that my skills are specific to PeopleSoft systems only.  And I do love what I do, too, so I just hope something comes along.

Oh, well, more time to read!  Since I'm nocturnal by nature, it's not so bad now if I stay up most of the night, because I want to finish up a book!

Becke, don't feel you have to go out of your way for me.  I know how busy you are these days, with Adaline, and the recent wedding and your daughter moving up from Florida!  I really appreciate all the ones you've sent already, and I've gotten to read some great authors I hadn't before (loved the Patricia Wentworths I just read!)

I've been trying to get a shipment together for weeks. I thought I'd have plenty of time to do it this weekend, but I had an unexpected visit from my niece from New Mexico. She and a friend swung through Chicago on a road trip and spent the night here.

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

The Attenbury Emeralds  

Finished and enjoyed A Presumption of Death, and now on to The Attenbury Emeralds, and enjoying that one, too!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Glad you are enjoying reading The Attenbury Emeralds, dulcinea3. I liked it too and think maybe it is time for a re-read!

Just finished reading A Cookbook Conspiracyby Kate Carlisle. Think it is the best in the series so far! So happy for Kate that her publishing company  finally released one of her books in hardcover!

A Cookbook Conspiracy (Bibliophile Series #7)  

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

The Clockwork Scarab  

Overview

Evaline Stoker and Mina Holmes never meant to get into the family business. But when you're the sister of Bram and the niece of Sherlock, vampire hunting and mystery solving are in your blood. And when two society girls go missing, there's no one more qualified to investigate. Now fierce Evaline and logical Mina must resolve their rivalry, navigate the advances of not just one but three mysterious gentlemen, and solve murder with only one clue: a strange Egyptian scarab. The stakes are high. If Stoker and Holmes don't unravel why the belles of London society are in such danger, they'll become the next victims.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'm still reading this one, too. It's not a book to be read in one sitting, or even two or three!

The Invention of Murder  

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Just finished reading another mystery novel by Sheila Connolly. This one is from her museum mystery series:

Monument to the Dead (Museum Mystery Series #4)  

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Hi mystery friends, it's been a while but it's been crazy busy for me

Right now I'm reading a December release 

Supervolcano  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Just finished reading another mystery novel by Sheila Connolly. This one is from her museum mystery series:

Monument to the Dead (Museum Mystery Series #4)  

I want to read this series - my to-be-read pile never seems to go down!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Hi mystery friends, it's been a while but it's been crazy busy for me

Right now I'm reading a December release 

Supervolcano  

This sounds like my kind of book, Debbie. I highly recommend this one, too:

Dark Tide  

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

When I was at the library yesterday, on the way out, I stopped at the little alcove that houses used books for sale; some of these are clearly old books the library no longer wants(or perhaps extra copies that aren't needed any more) or donations. I found a Peter Shandy mystery by Charlotte MacLeod, hallelujah! Bought it for the grand price of $1.00, too-- well within my budget. Yay!

Something in the Water  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

So I'm still alive. It's that time of year again ..... Busy, busy, busy!

I've found little time to read, but I've been trying to read a little every night at least. I'm trying to get through

A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #5)  and I love it so much! I'm about one third the way through.

I am also reading an oldie but goody,

Presumed Innocent . I had seen the movie starring Harrison Ford back in the 90s. I still remember vividly how the movie ends, but I'm curious to see how Turow writes it. It is fantastic, so far.

I was just reading the listing regarding the next installment of the Flavia de Luce series,

The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches (Flavia de Luce Series #6)  and I'm so excited! Harriet returns! It's not a spoiler, since it's in the description.

I also just bought a bunch of Nook books on the 50% off sale this weekend. I'm so weak. :smileyhappy:

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

I am so happy I can post normally again!!! Yay!

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
becke_davis
0 Kudos

basson_mommy12 wrote:

So I'm still alive. It's that time of year again ..... Busy, busy, busy!

I've found little time to read, but I've been trying to read a little every night at least. I'm trying to get through

A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #5)  and I love it so much! I'm about one third the way through.

I am also reading an oldie but goody,

Presumed Innocent . I had seen the movie starring Harrison Ford back in the 90s. I still remember vividly how the movie ends, but I'm curious to see how Turow writes it. It is fantastic, so far.

I was just reading the listing regarding the next installment of the Flavia de Luce series,

The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches (Flavia de Luce Series #6)  and I'm so excited! Harriet returns! It's not a spoiler, since it's in the description.

I also just bought a bunch of Nook books on the 50% off sale this weekend. I'm so weak. :smileyhappy:

I've had the new Alan Bradley preordered for ages. I can hardly wait to read it!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

becke and Ruth, I am also waiting impatiently for the next installment of the Flavia de Luce mysteries.

Oh well, January is what, only four months away now? Wait, that means Christmas is only three months away! Must get in the shopping mode one of these days, ha ha.

Anyhow, I'm glad I can get back on the forum now, after a few days of keyboard malfunction.

I finally got my hands on A Skeleton in the Family. I know I wrote in another thread that I was sure the dog on the cover was a Shiba Inu, but it turns out the dog, Byron, is an Akita. Well, I was close, anyway, and in my defense, ALL Shiba Inus are the color of the dog represented on the cover, and the Akita comes in many colors. As for the book itself, it was a really fun read. I highly recommend it for anyone who likes a touch of the supernatural in their mystery books.

A Skeleton in the Family  

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Whooo-hooo! The latest Agatha Raisin mystery by MC Beaton, which I've had on request from my library, came in the other day!!!! I stayed up until the wee hours of the night finishing it--could NOT put it down!

Something Borrowed, Someone Dead (Agatha Raisin Series #24)  

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I read two books by Margaret Sutton (from Got Books!), from the Judy Bolton series.  I had never heard of Judy Bolton before.  They were fun!  I thought beforehand that she might be like Nancy Drew, but she was a bit more grown-up; in The Unfinished House I would guess she was college age, and in The Warning on the Window, she was married.  But they still did remind me a bit of Nancy Drew, in the tone and atmosphere.

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Yay!!! Images are working again!!! :catvery-happy: