becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

dulcinea3 wrote:

I read two books by Margaret Sutton (from Got Books!), from the Judy Bolton series.  I had never heard of Judy Bolton before.  They were fun!  I thought beforehand that she might be like Nancy Drew, but she was a bit more grown-up; in The Unfinished House I would guess she was college age, and in The Warning on the Window, she was married.  But they still did remind me a bit of Nancy Drew, in the tone and atmosphere.

I don't think these were as popular as Nancy Drew books, but I loved them!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Great pics of those Judy Bolton books, dulcinea3. Like you, I had never heard of those books until they were mentioned on this forum. Our hometown library certainly did not have them, or I'm sure I would have found them close to the Nancy Drew books.

Anyway, I finally got to use the Barnes and Noble gift card which my brother and sister-in-law gave me for my birthday. I got some neat bookmarks and a copy of the latest Ellery Adams Books by the Bay mystery.

Poisoned Prose (Books by the Bay Series #5)  

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Fricka wrote:

Great pics of those Judy Bolton books, dulcinea3. Like you, I had never heard of those books until they were mentioned on this forum. Our hometown library certainly did not have them, or I'm sure I would have found them close to the Nancy Drew books.

Anyway, I finally got to use the Barnes and Noble gift card which my brother and sister-in-law gave me for my birthday. I got some neat bookmarks and a copy of the latest Ellery Adams Books by the Bay mystery.

Poisoned Prose (Books by the Bay Series #5)  

What kind of bookmarks did you get? I just got a couple cool Wizard of Oz themed bookmarks from B&N.

Wizard of Oz Dorothy Pen & Bookmark Set  

Wizard of Oz Glinda Pen & Bookmark Set  

Dorothy Glittered Paper Bookmark  

Glinda Glittered Bookmark  

Wicked Witch Glittered Bookmark  

Dorothy and Friends Glittered Paper Bookmark  

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Jo Nesbo's The Bat.  I've found it quite good.  I really like the characters he's created.

The Bat (Harry Hole Series #1)  

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Speaking of THE BAT, I started watching an old Vincent Price movie called THE BAT the other night. I was too tired to stay up for the whole movie, but the name was familiar - I think the movie was based on this book:

Bat  

The Bat  

The Bat  

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Night of the Living Dead  

House on Haunted Hill  

Carnival of Souls  

Thanks, Fricka!  I was happy to be able to find pictures of the actual editions that Becke had sent me.  The first one was actually printed during WWII; that's how old they are!

Becke, LOVE those Wizard of Oz bookmaks!  I have magnets of a few of the pictures used on those.

I'm pretty sure you're right about The Bat.  I saw the movie so long ago I barely remember it, and I haven't read the book.  If I remember rightly, Ryan loved that book!

Getting ready for Halloween, I'm finally getting around to watching a set of cheesy horror movies that I bought last year - 15 movies on 2 discs!  So far, I've watched Night of the Living Dead, The House on Haunted Hill (Vincent Price), and Carnival of Souls.  Although there are a few in the collection that I am familiar with, most of them I haven't seen before.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

Night of the Living Dead  

House on Haunted Hill  

Carnival of Souls  

Thanks, Fricka!  I was happy to be able to find pictures of the actual editions that Becke had sent me.  The first one was actually printed during WWII; that's how old they are!

Becke, LOVE those Wizard of Oz bookmaks!  I have magnets of a few of the pictures used on those.

I'm pretty sure you're right about The Bat.  I saw the movie so long ago I barely remember it, and I haven't read the book.  If I remember rightly, Ryan loved that book!

Getting ready for Halloween, I'm finally getting around to watching a set of cheesy horror movies that I bought last year - 15 movies on 2 discs!  So far, I've watched Night of the Living Dead, The House on Haunted Hill (Vincent Price), and Carnival of Souls.  Although there are a few in the collection that I am familiar with, most of them I haven't seen before.

I love anything Wizard of Oz related - in fact, I made a trip to McDonald's yesterday to get a Happy Meal, because they've got Oz toys right now! I've got Glinda - now I'll have to go back next week, too!

I'm not crazy about scary movies, although some old ones are fun. I like this classic:

Hound of the Baskervilles  

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

I have always appreciated a good scary movie. They seem to be few and far between nowadays. Horror films try too hard to be shocking or gory, which makes them comical to me. I love suspense far more. "Silence of the Lambs" is up there for the title of BEST in that category...

Anywho, I'm reading

Mansfield Park  and still going at

A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #5)  

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Love those OZ bookmarks, becke!

I got an enameled owl bookmark for my cousin's birthday and a set of wee paper bookmarks featuring a tiro of owl, mushroom, and (I think) racoon figures at the top.

Bookjig Owl Metal Bookmark  

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Finished reading Poisoned Prose--WOW! WHAT a great read! I highly recommend it to anyone who has read any of Ellery Adams' previous books in this marvelous series. I'm a midwesterner(now southwesterner) but through these books I get to experience life in a charming  bayside town on the East Coast. So good to welcome back Olivia and her poodle, Haviland. Can't give away too many details for fear of spoiling it, but I think it's the best book in the series so far.

NOW I am reading Not the Killing Type by Lorna Barrett.

Not the Killing Type (Booktown Series #7)  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Love those OZ bookmarks, becke!

I got an enameled owl bookmark for my cousin's birthday and a set of wee paper bookmarks featuring a tiro of owl, mushroom, and (I think) racoon figures at the top.

Bookjig Owl Metal Bookmark  

Ooh, I'll have to check those out! I love pretty bookmarks.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Finished reading Poisoned Prose--WOW! WHAT a great read! I highly recommend it to anyone who has read any of Ellery Adams' previous books in this marvelous series. I'm a midwesterner(now southwesterner) but through these books I get to experience life in a charming  bayside town on the East Coast. So good to welcome back Olivia and her poodle, Haviland. Can't give away too many details for fear of spoiling it, but I think it's the best book in the series so far.

NOW I am reading Not the Killing Type by Lorna Barrett.

Not the Killing Type (Booktown Series #7)  

Thanks for the recommendation - I have more of Ellery and Lorna's books in my to-be-read pile. I haven't had much time for reading lately - I'm still working my way through this one, which is going to take awhile:

The Invention of Murder  

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Sidney Chambers and the Perils of the Night  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Just finished reading The Buzzard Table by Margaret Maron, and now I've started reading Board Stiff by Elaine Viets. Happy days!

The Buzzard Table  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Hi there's a lot of great choices here.

I'm just finishing up a fantastic hard fantasy by Ian Tregillis

Something More Than Night