Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

dulcinea3 wrote:

I read two books by Margaret Sutton (from Got Books!), from the Judy Bolton series.  I had never heard of Judy Bolton before.  They were fun!  I thought beforehand that she might be like Nancy Drew, but she was a bit more grown-up; in The Unfinished House I would guess she was college age, and in The Warning on the Window, she was married.  But they still did remind me a bit of Nancy Drew, in the tone and atmosphere.

I don't think these were as popular as Nancy Drew books, but I loved them!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Great pics of those Judy Bolton books, dulcinea3. Like you, I had never heard of those books until they were mentioned on this forum. Our hometown library certainly did not have them, or I'm sure I would have found them close to the Nancy Drew books.

Anyway, I finally got to use the Barnes and Noble gift card which my brother and sister-in-law gave me for my birthday. I got some neat bookmarks and a copy of the latest Ellery Adams Books by the Bay mystery.

Poisoned Prose (Books by the Bay Series #5)  

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Fricka wrote:

Great pics of those Judy Bolton books, dulcinea3. Like you, I had never heard of those books until they were mentioned on this forum. Our hometown library certainly did not have them, or I'm sure I would have found them close to the Nancy Drew books.

Anyway, I finally got to use the Barnes and Noble gift card which my brother and sister-in-law gave me for my birthday. I got some neat bookmarks and a copy of the latest Ellery Adams Books by the Bay mystery.

Poisoned Prose (Books by the Bay Series #5)  

What kind of bookmarks did you get? I just got a couple cool Wizard of Oz themed bookmarks from B&N.

Wizard of Oz Dorothy Pen & Bookmark Set  

Wizard of Oz Glinda Pen & Bookmark Set  

Dorothy Glittered Paper Bookmark  

Glinda Glittered Bookmark  

Wicked Witch Glittered Bookmark  

Dorothy and Friends Glittered Paper Bookmark  

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Jo Nesbo's The Bat.  I've found it quite good.  I really like the characters he's created.

The Bat (Harry Hole Series #1)  

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Speaking of THE BAT, I started watching an old Vincent Price movie called THE BAT the other night. I was too tired to stay up for the whole movie, but the name was familiar - I think the movie was based on this book:

Bat  

The Bat  

The Bat  

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Night of the Living Dead  

House on Haunted Hill  

Carnival of Souls  

Thanks, Fricka!  I was happy to be able to find pictures of the actual editions that Becke had sent me.  The first one was actually printed during WWII; that's how old they are!

Becke, LOVE those Wizard of Oz bookmaks!  I have magnets of a few of the pictures used on those.

I'm pretty sure you're right about The Bat.  I saw the movie so long ago I barely remember it, and I haven't read the book.  If I remember rightly, Ryan loved that book!

Getting ready for Halloween, I'm finally getting around to watching a set of cheesy horror movies that I bought last year - 15 movies on 2 discs!  So far, I've watched Night of the Living Dead, The House on Haunted Hill (Vincent Price), and Carnival of Souls.  Although there are a few in the collection that I am familiar with, most of them I haven't seen before.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

Night of the Living Dead  

House on Haunted Hill  

Carnival of Souls  

Thanks, Fricka!  I was happy to be able to find pictures of the actual editions that Becke had sent me.  The first one was actually printed during WWII; that's how old they are!

Becke, LOVE those Wizard of Oz bookmaks!  I have magnets of a few of the pictures used on those.

I'm pretty sure you're right about The Bat.  I saw the movie so long ago I barely remember it, and I haven't read the book.  If I remember rightly, Ryan loved that book!

Getting ready for Halloween, I'm finally getting around to watching a set of cheesy horror movies that I bought last year - 15 movies on 2 discs!  So far, I've watched Night of the Living Dead, The House on Haunted Hill (Vincent Price), and Carnival of Souls.  Although there are a few in the collection that I am familiar with, most of them I haven't seen before.

I love anything Wizard of Oz related - in fact, I made a trip to McDonald's yesterday to get a Happy Meal, because they've got Oz toys right now! I've got Glinda - now I'll have to go back next week, too!

I'm not crazy about scary movies, although some old ones are fun. I like this classic:

Hound of the Baskervilles  

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

I have always appreciated a good scary movie. They seem to be few and far between nowadays. Horror films try too hard to be shocking or gory, which makes them comical to me. I love suspense far more. "Silence of the Lambs" is up there for the title of BEST in that category...

Anywho, I'm reading

Mansfield Park  and still going at

A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #5)  

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Love those OZ bookmarks, becke!

I got an enameled owl bookmark for my cousin's birthday and a set of wee paper bookmarks featuring a tiro of owl, mushroom, and (I think) racoon figures at the top.

Bookjig Owl Metal Bookmark  

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Finished reading Poisoned Prose--WOW! WHAT a great read! I highly recommend it to anyone who has read any of Ellery Adams' previous books in this marvelous series. I'm a midwesterner(now southwesterner) but through these books I get to experience life in a charming  bayside town on the East Coast. So good to welcome back Olivia and her poodle, Haviland. Can't give away too many details for fear of spoiling it, but I think it's the best book in the series so far.

NOW I am reading Not the Killing Type by Lorna Barrett.

Not the Killing Type (Booktown Series #7)  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Love those OZ bookmarks, becke!

I got an enameled owl bookmark for my cousin's birthday and a set of wee paper bookmarks featuring a tiro of owl, mushroom, and (I think) racoon figures at the top.

Bookjig Owl Metal Bookmark  

Ooh, I'll have to check those out! I love pretty bookmarks.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Finished reading Poisoned Prose--WOW! WHAT a great read! I highly recommend it to anyone who has read any of Ellery Adams' previous books in this marvelous series. I'm a midwesterner(now southwesterner) but through these books I get to experience life in a charming  bayside town on the East Coast. So good to welcome back Olivia and her poodle, Haviland. Can't give away too many details for fear of spoiling it, but I think it's the best book in the series so far.

NOW I am reading Not the Killing Type by Lorna Barrett.

Not the Killing Type (Booktown Series #7)  

Thanks for the recommendation - I have more of Ellery and Lorna's books in my to-be-read pile. I haven't had much time for reading lately - I'm still working my way through this one, which is going to take awhile:

The Invention of Murder  

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Sidney Chambers and the Perils of the Night  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Just finished reading The Buzzard Table by Margaret Maron, and now I've started reading Board Stiff by Elaine Viets. Happy days!

The Buzzard Table  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Hi there's a lot of great choices here.

I'm just finishing up a fantastic hard fantasy by Ian Tregillis

Something More Than Night