Frequent Contributor
fordmg
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

dulcinea3 wrote:
I finished Death Walked In.  I did figure everything out fairly early on, but half the fun is the characters themselves.

Next a non-mystery; I just started rereading Austen's Mansfield Park for the May reading group that's doing it.

I picked up an autobiography by Doris Lessing, Going Home.  Looks interesting She is returning to Southern Rhodesia in 1956.  I think this a bit of a classic.
MG
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

I'm happily dancing and skipping my merry way through Martha Grimes' Richard Jury mysteries... I'm now on his 4th outing. I'm absolutely taken with her writing... it shows that she also is a poet. ... her books are full of the wonderful blend of a poet's mastery of language and a mystery-writer's eye for plot and deliciously wicked characters.

Oh the joy of it. (There are about 24 MORE to go.)

IBIS
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:
I finished Death Walked In.  I did figure everything out fairly early on, but half the fun is the characters themselves.

Next a non-mystery; I just started rereading Austen's Mansfield Park for the May reading group that's doing it.

I just picked up Persuasion -- it must be Austen time!

:smileyvery-happy: Yes, these B&N reading groups certainly keep Austen fans busy!  Northanger Abbey a few months ago, Mansfield Park in May, and Persuasion in June!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

Rebecca's Tale by Sally Beaumont
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

IBIS wrote:
I'm happily dancing and skipping my merry way through Martha Grimes' Richard Jury mysteries... I'm now on his 4th outing. I'm absolutely taken with her writing... it shows that she also is a poet. ... her books are full of the wonderful blend of a poet's mastery of language and a mystery-writer's eye for plot and deliciously wicked characters.

Oh the joy of it. (There are about 24 MORE to go.)

IBIS

I agree that Martha Grimes has the most - not sure how to put it - sophisticated prose style of the various current mystery authors that I follow.  As a writer, she is a true artist, not just content, but style.

Don't you love the pub name references?  And are you in love with Melrose yet?  Or is Jury more to your taste?  That might be better, or you might have to fight me for Melrose!:smileywink:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

momgee wrote:

I have that, and started reading it some time ago, but didn't really get into it, so put it aside.  I will be rereading Rebecca in a few months for one of the reading groups here, and was thinking I might give it another try after that.  Are you enjoying it?
Contributor
Reader_Renee
0 Kudos

I am reading Murder On A Bad Hair Day by Anne George.  I thought I would give it a try.  I have only read and few pages and I have already laughed out loud!

I just finished Private Practices by Stephen White.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

fordmg wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

I picked up an autobiography by Doris Lessing, Going Home.  Looks interesting She is returning to Southern Rhodesia in 1956.  I think this a bit of a classic.
MG

My favorite autobiography, hands down, is Black Beech and Honeydew by Ngaio Marsh.  It's hard to find, but it's a wonderful book.
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

I agree that Martha Grimes has the most - not sure how to put it - sophisticated prose style of the various current mystery authors that I follow.  As a writer, she is a true artist, not just content, but style.

Don't you love the pub name references?  And are you in love with Melrose yet?  Or is Jury more to your taste?  That might be better, or you might have to fight me for Melrose!:smileywink:

I think the pub names are hilarious: The Dirty Duck, Help the Poor Struggler, I Am the Only Running Footman, the Horse You Came In On...  wonderful, creative names for pubs.

And I definitely have fallen in love with Melrose Plant... we may have to share fantasies!
IBIS
IBIS

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I am currently reading a book my daughter recommended.  It's like Harry Potter at a girl's school, so maybe Harriet Potter?  Actually, Gemma Doyle is the heroine of the story.  It's the first book in a trilogy by Libba Bray, called A Great and Terrible Beauty.  It's very good so far!
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

I read somewhere that every pub name she uses is the actual name of some real pub somewhere in Britain. Don't know whether it's true or not, but it makes a great story!

IBIS wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

I agree that Martha Grimes has the most - not sure how to put it - sophisticated prose style of the various current mystery authors that I follow. As a writer, she is a true artist, not just content, but style.
Don't you love the pub name references? And are you in love with Melrose yet? Or is Jury more to your taste? That might be better, or you might have to fight me for Melrose!:smileywink:

I think the pub names are hilarious: The Dirty Duck, Help the Poor Struggler, I Am the Only Running Footman, the Horse You Came In On... wonderful, creative names for pubs.
And I definitely have fallen in love with Melrose Plant... we may have to share fantasies!
IBIS

0 Kudos

The Anatomists by Hal McDonald, it's a bit old fashioned.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:
I read somewhere that every pub name she uses is the actual name of some real pub somewhere in Britain. Don't know whether it's true or not, but it makes a great story!

IBIS wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

I agree that Martha Grimes has the most - not sure how to put it - sophisticated prose style of the various current mystery authors that I follow. As a writer, she is a true artist, not just content, but style.
Don't you love the pub name references? And are you in love with Melrose yet? Or is Jury more to your taste? That might be better, or you might have to fight me for Melrose!:smileywink:

I think the pub names are hilarious: The Dirty Duck, Help the Poor Struggler, I Am the Only Running Footman, the Horse You Came In On... wonderful, creative names for pubs.
IBIS

I know that the first three are real pubs -- I think I've been to them!
Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

Sorry, the author's last name is Beauman. I basically just started it and it is a tad slow going, but I will finish it. Not a real "grabber" that is for sure. That's a good plan to re read Rebecca first. I might just go do that myself. Enjoy
Kaye

dulcinea3 wrote:

momgee wrote:

I have that, and started reading it some time ago, but didn't really get into it, so put it aside.  I will be rereading Rebecca in a few months for one of the reading groups here, and was thinking I might give it another try after that.  Are you enjoying it?

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

Hi Dulcinea3 I finished Rebecca's Tale last night and it did get a lot better. Try to go back and start it again. Once you get past part 1 it starts to pick up.

Kaye

momgee wrote:
Sorry, the author's last name is Beauman. I basically just started it and it is a tad slow going, but I will finish it. Not a real "grabber" that is for sure. That's a good plan to re read Rebecca first. I might just go do that myself. Enjoy
Kaye

dulcinea3 wrote:

momgee wrote:

Groucho Marx
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

momgee wrote:
Hi Dulcinea3 I finished Rebecca's Tale last night and it did get a lot better. Try to go back and start it again. Once you get past part 1 it starts to pick up.

Kaye

momgee wrote:
Kaye

dulcinea3 wrote:

momgee wrote:

Thanks for letting me know!  Once I reread Rebecca in a few months, I will definitely give this one another try!  Especially since you also found it slow at first, like I did, if you ended up liking it later on, that is good news!
Frequent Contributor
dasz
0 Kudos

Interesting to note the number of people who are re-reading books they enjoyed in the past. I just reread M C Beaton's "Death of a Village" and it was terrific. I love that Hamish. Plus, this book refers to his first dog, Towser (I'd been trying to remember the amusing name of the first dog). Hmmm...Hamish, Towser, Lugs and Sonsie...just those names put a big grin on my face. I think I may need to reread some more Hamish stories.

I'm also glad to see that others loved Nora Ephron's recent book.  If you're part of her generation you can identify with so many things she writes about--so much more than her neck and other cosmetic issues.
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Everyman wrote: I read somewhere that every pub name she uses is the actual name of some real pub somewhere in Britain. Don't know whether it's true or not, but it makes a great story!

I hadn't realized that the pubs were real... I thought they were all created by Martha Grimes... I wonder if the private men's club that Melrose Plant visits is also real...

It sure makes a great story... I wonder if it will color my future readings knowing that the pubs are real....

IBIS
IBIS

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

IBIS wrote:
Everyman wrote: I read somewhere that every pub name she uses is the actual name of some real pub somewhere in Britain. Don't know whether it's true or not, but it makes a great story!

I hadn't realized that the pubs were real... I thought they were all created by Martha Grimes... I wonder if the private men's club that Melrose Plant visits is also real...

It sure makes a great story... I wonder if it will color my future readings knowing that the pubs are real....

IBIS

I knew that she based them on real pubs, but I wasn't sure whether she has continued with that, or whether at some time she started making them up.

A quick search has turned up I Am the Only Running Footman, The Dirty Duck, Five Bells and Bladebone, The [Old] Blue Last, and The Lamorna Wink (or at least a pub called The Wink in Lamorna).  I couldn't find an Anodyne Necklace, though.

I couldn't find a men's club called Boring's, though, even in a supposedly full listing of London gentlemen's clubs.
New User
shtt13
0 Kudos

I am hooked on the Stephanie Plum series.  My friend gave me one of the books, and now I can not stop reading them.  I can not help but laugh out loud while reading them.