becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

Sometime it would be fun to compare some of these similar stories -- Holmes with Irene Adler (hope I have her name right), and Poirot with his Vera, and other Conan Doyle and Christie stories that parallel each other.
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
Sometime it would be fun to compare some of these similar stories -- Holmes with Irene Adler (hope I have her name right), and Poirot with his Vera, and other Conan Doyle and Christie stories that parallel each other.

And even little similarities.  In one story, it started with Hastings saying how he found Poirot at home, very much like Watson starting a story with him dropping in on Holmes.  In another, someone wanted Poirot to explain how he had deduced something, and Poirot said that he didn't like to give explanations, because it spoiled the mystique, or something along those lines.  Once or twice Holmes said something similar.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I am much more familiar with the Christie stories than the Sherlock Holmes stories but since we've started featuring Holmes I've been reminded of several Christie stories.  I don't know if she wrote them as an homage to Conan Doyle or to mock him, but there are distinct parallels.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Just started Linda Howards "Death Angel" wow really good I'll check back and let you all know when I finish it.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

That was a great book!
Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

Just finished the Silver Needle Murder by Laura Childs and now am reading The Penguin who knew too much. How could I pass up that title?

:smileyhappy:

Kaye

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman

Confession time.  I was up at the kids house with a few minutes to spare, and picked up one of their original Nancy Drews.   I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but heck, it IS a mystery, so y'all here should understand!
0 Kudos

Who wrote that second one?  I love the title!
Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

Donna Andrews

becke_davis wrote:
Who wrote that second one?  I love the title!

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Thanks, I'll look for that book.  If you read anything you really like, be sure to tell us about it!
Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
Thanks, I'll look for that book.  If you read anything you really like, be sure to tell us about it!

Becke - don't bother reading the Penguin who knew too much. Just finished it and it was barely so-so.  Not really much in there about penguins and the mystery itself was just plain silly. Jmho of course. I really did like the Silver Needle Murder, though. I have read all the tea shop mysteries and really like the characters. Now it is onto Blue Bistro by Elin Hilderbrand.

Kaye

Groucho Marx
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Thanks for the tip.  I've heard good things about Elin Hilderbrand but I've never read her books.  Let me know what you think of that one.
Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

Hi Becke- I am about 2/3 through The Blue Bistro and it is okay not earth shatteringly great. A real light read, none of the characters have really engaged me so far  but i will probably finish it today and rate it a 2* in my database of books read. If I rate it a 2*it means it was good and I would give the author another chance. A 3* rating is fabulous, couldn't read it fast enough and 1* is don't even bother reading anything by this author again. Works for me anyway

. Kaye

becke_davis wrote:
Thanks for the tip.  I've heard good things about Elin Hilderbrand but I've never read her books.  Let me know what you think of that one.

Groucho Marx
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Have you read the Aunt Dimity series by Nancy Atherton?  I would start at the beginning, if you decide to check her out.  They are light mysteries but still interesting enough to keep me reading through the whole series.  It's kind of quirky but I like it.  Some are better than others, but you have to expect that.
Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

I've read them all and I like the series too.

Kaye

becke_davis wrote:
Have you read the Aunt Dimity series by Nancy Atherton?  I would start at the beginning, if you decide to check her out.  They are light mysteries but still interesting enough to keep me reading through the whole series.  It's kind of quirky but I like it.  Some are better than others, but you have to expect that.

Groucho Marx
Frequent Contributor
ms_linda
0 Kudos

I'm heading off to the mountains today for a week with the 2 Lisa Unger books. I'll post about them when I get back!
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Have a great time -- we'll be interested to see what you think of the other books.
Contributor
cocoacat
0 Kudos

Wow.  Ive found sooo many good reads thru this website!!!  Its been a while since I've been here.  Last I was here I was going to see Andrew McCall Smith in Lakeland, FL.  He wrote all the NO.1 Women Detective Agency and a bunch of other great books.  I recommend them all.  lol 

I went thru and wrote down about 12 books from this site and it kept me busy. Out of the dozen, THE THIRTEENTH TALE, by Diane Setterfield was on a lot of peoples posts.  I really enjoyed it.  Its one of those that you want to keep reading to find out what happens next! 

ok, so this is me.  Theres pics here of me meeting my fave author!!  woohoo.  I was like a little kid. Too fun.

http://www.myspace.com/petitesportsgal

Always looking for new great  reads!!!  SUGGESTIONS WELCOME.  Also looking for any along the same lines as The thirteenth Tale.  If anyone has some good suggestions.  I also recentely read all of Kyra Davis' funny books.  "Obsession, Deceit and really dark chocolate".  She's a riot.  Hers were real light humor easy reads.

Take care,

Maria

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Where to begin...there are almost too many books to recommend!  Have you read Black Out?  That's the book we're featuring right now, and next month it will be Careless in Red by Elizabeth George.

We've recently discussed Lee Childs and a lot of us really liked his books!

Message Edited by becke_davis on 07-20-2008 07:37 PM
Author
RosemaryH
0 Kudos

I just finished I Shall Not Want by Julia Spencer Fleming - another terrific read. Halfway through The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. I got an advanced reading copy. Rather amazing debut novel that apparently was a bestseller in Europe.
rosemary

Learn more about Pushing Up Daisies.