Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

I just preordered The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo from BN.com -- it comes out September 16.  Thanks for telling us about it, it's getting rave reviews from a lot of best-selling authors.  Here's the link:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Girl-with-the-Dragon-Tattoo/Stieg-Larsson/e/9780307269751/?itm=...

I Shall Not Want is the sixth book in a series and it's also getting amazing reviews.  I've heard of this series but haven't read these books.  Looks like I'll have to add a few more to my TBR pile.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/I-Shall-Not-Want/Julia-Spencer-Fleming/e/9780312334871/?itm=1

Thanks for telling us about these!  Rosemary is a mystery author and I just noticed her book is now available in a large print edition:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Pushing-Up-Daisies/Rosemary-Harris/e/9781410407191/?itm=3&bnit=H&bn...

Here's the regular print edition:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Pushing-Up-Daisies/Rosemary-Harris/e/9781410407191/?itm=3&bnit=H&bn...

Contributor
cocoacat
0 Kudos

RE: Pushing up daisies!

I logged on cuz I needed a good read.  I had to put my 18 yr olod kitty down this morning.  I took her in last nite w/bleeding tummy.  Turned out she had a tumor.  SO.  I needed a good book to read.

I took the rest of the day off.  Shoot, my marriage only lasted 5 yrs.  Miss Mia was the bestest and had a good life.  My other 2 kitties are 6 yrs and 2 yrs old.  So they're wondering whats going on today. 

Im headed to the beach.  Im going to go buy PUSHING UP DAISIES on my way for a good read and some beach/sun time. 

Looking forward to reading your book!!!  : ) 

Maria 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: RE: Pushing up daisies!

I'm so sorry about your cat, Maria.  My 11-year-old cat died in March and I have a 17-year-old cat who's not going to last much longer.  Luckily my 12-year-old cat seems to be in good shape.  I had a dog, too, but she died last year.  I've been traveling so much I decided to wait a bit before getting another dog.  Plus I needed some time to mourn her.

Enjoy Rosemary's book, I hope it will take your mind off your sad morning.

Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

Maria & Becke - Sorry to hear about your losses. It's just like losing a member of the family. If you would like some light hearted reading, here is what I just started to re read. Mapp & Lucia  Honestly, these books are so much fun taking the reader back to a time when life seemed simple.

Kaye

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Contributor
cocoacat
0 Kudos

Suggestions.....re: related type books.

Hopefully, you guys are still online.  

Are there any books that are kind of along the same line as The Thirteenth Tale, by Diane Setterfield??  Really enjoyed that one, it kept me reading, and was even a little bizaare. 

Im headed to the bookstore in about an hour or so.  Otherwise, look out library here I come!!!  hahaha

Im sooooo bad tho.  I'd rather own a good book.  (oh, so thats where all my $$ goes!! hahhahaa)

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Maria

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

becke_davis wrote:

I'm so sorry about your cat, Maria.  My 11-year-old cat died in March and I have a 17-year-old cat who's not going to last much longer.  Luckily my 12-year-old cat seems to be in good shape.  I had a dog, too, but she died last year.  I've been traveling so much I decided to wait a bit before getting another dog.  Plus I needed some time to mourn her.

Enjoy Rosemary's book, I hope it will take your mind off your sad morning.

I'm sorry to hear that, Maria and Becke.  I lost my Siamese cat Ming last August when he was almost 19.  I had lost my tabby Zorro a few years earlier, at 17.  I thought, after Ming, I should take a break for a while (at least to get the cat hair off of everything), but that lasted less than two months.  In October, I adopted two kittens (another Siamese and tabby) from the local shelter, and it cheered me up no end.  They just turned one, so I hope to have long, happy lives with them.  It must be a comfort to you both to have other cats; I know it was easier on me losing Zorro to still have Ming.

Kaye, I have the delightful Mapp and Lucia series on video (starring Prunella Scales, Geraldine McEwan, and Nigel Hawthorne), but I've never read the books.  I've seen them a few times in catalogs and be tempted - maybe I'll get around to them sometime.

As to what I'm reading now, last night I started rereading Rebecca.  "Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again." - sigh!

Message Edited by dulcinea3 on 07-22-2008 12:39 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Author
RosemaryH
0 Kudos

Maria - so sorry to hear about Miss Mia. It's awful ..even when it's not unexpected. I still miss my golden retriever Patrick..even though we've since rescued another golden. I hope Pushing Up Daisies gives you a few smiles, and a few belly laughs. (There's a sweet picture of a kitty curled up with my book on my website...a reader sent it to me....www.rosemaryharris.com) The Julia Spencer Fleming series doesn't really need to be read in order (I didn't) - although purists would probably be appalled. I don't think I missed a thing. Becke, you probably know the backstory on The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo...but maybe some others don't. The book was a bestseller in Europe and after making a three book deal with Knopf, - Tattoo is the first to be released - the (young) author had a heart attack and passed away.
rosemary

Learn more about Pushing Up Daisies.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

I can certainly empathize with your loss of pets, my beloved tuxedo Gabby died of congested heart failure a few years ago she was such an important part of my life that I felt I lost one of my children and she was young only 9 so I really feel for you. And I haven't been able to adopt another yet so I spoil my daughter's menagerie when I go to visit her, she has two MaltiPoos and three cats.

Now on to better things, Maria I also loved the Thirteenth Tale and the Time Travelers Wife and I think you might also enjoy a book we read for first look a few months ago called The House at Riverton by Kate Morton. 

Let me know what you think of Riverton if you decided to read it.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

I just finished a great book that I read for my local library book club called Suspect by Michael Robotham. I would never have picked this out by myself and that's why I love belonging to all these book clubs.

He's an Australian author and this book's events happen in England.

It's a psychological thriller about a clinical psychologist who's world is falling down around him both physically and career wise and he leads us on a merry chase to find out why.

I really enjoy British Literature and their humor so I was pleased to find a lot of humor in this book, it's also very scary and I found it hard to put down, it has the kind of edge of your seat terror that I find in Lisa Gardner's books, but with the male point of view.

Highly recommended if you haven't read it. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Just finished First Drop by Zoe Sharp.  I hadn't read anything by this author before but I'd heard good things about her.  As usual, I managed to picked up a book right smack in the middle of a series but it does stand alone.

This was one of those books that's difficult to put down, and I'll  most likely get the rest of the series, too.  I recommend it!  Read the author's descriptions of her books here:

http://www.zoesharp.com/meetfox.htm

Zoe has a story in this anthology:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Damn-Near-Dead/Duane-Swierczynski/e/9780976715757/?itm=9&bnit=H&bnr...

And her new book, Third Strike, comes out in the U. S. in October.  You can preorder it here:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Third-Strike/Zoe-Sharp/e/9780312358976/?itm=8&bnit=H&bnrefer=HOMEPA...

Here's more about the author:

http://therapsheet.blogspot.com/2006/05/sharp-shooter-part-i.html

http://chatterrific.blogspot.com/2008/01/zoe-sharp.html#fullpost

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/highlights/Exclusive-interviews-Talking-criminal-tendencies.4152681.j...

Found this while searching for reviews of her new book:

http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6552977.html

Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

From the villages of Tilling and Riseholme (Mapp & Lucia) to the berg in NJ - Just started Fearless Fourteen last night. As always, it is a laugh out loud kind of book.  I plan to then move on to NM with Santa Fe Rules one of Stuart Woods' older books. All this travel from the comfort of my swivel rocker - it gets no better than that!
Kaye

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
dhaupt
0 Kudos

I just finished Lisa Gardner's Say Goodbye and I can't say enough to do her justice. The book was amazing like all of her books are and her bad guy was soooo creepy like they all are however I had some (just a little) compassion for this particular killer, why, you'll have to read the book.

Lisa has a number of books that feature Quincy and ex-FBI profiler and Rainey his wife an ex-cop as partners in a private firm that help law enforcement track down bad guys and if you've read her you've also met Kimberly, Quincy's daughter and  FBI agent and her husband Mac a Georgia State cop. This book features Kimberly and Mac with Quincy and Rainey making guest appearances as Kimberly tracks down a serial killer that's preying on prostitutes oh and I forgot to mention she's also 5 months pregnant. I't a great book and I think would be enjoyed by men and women alike.

Lisa Gardner is one of my most favorite authors and how she comes up with her assailants is beyond me, they are always so evil and creepy and yukky I wonder if her husband sleeps with one eye opened, I mean does she dream these people up or does she have an alter ego some where deep in her subconscious mind that makes these guys up? 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I almost picked up that book the other day, then I remembered how big my TBR pile is and passed.  Guess I need to go back and buy it.
Contributor
cocoacat
0 Kudos

hi from st pete, fl

hey guys.  thanks for the emails about miss mia.  its still hard.  but, im finding comfort in knowing i did the right thing for her.  i still have 2 cats and my house seems quiet. 

i bought pushing up daisies and this other book "the eyre affair"---by jasper fforde  it was another suggestion from here.  believe me....i'll be reading the other suggestions you guys made too.  the nytimes review said this one features a well read "special operative in literary detection" named Thursday Next who puts you more in mind of Bridget Jones.  She delivers almost every sentence with a sly wink, and inside jokes to boot.

so, im really enjoying it. i cant wait to find the ones you guys suggested too.  they sound great. but, im terrible.  i buy them.  so, budget wise im gonna have to hit the library.  silly me.  lol  but, ive added them to my list to look for next time i go to the bookstore/library. 

i also read that one of my fave authors, Alexander McCall Smith will have another in his series of then Scottland series out in September.

hope everyones doing well. thanks so much for the well wishes. 

maria

dhaupt
0 Kudos

I finished last night Findings By Mary Anna Evans. It's the fourth book of a series about an archeologist Faye Longchamps and her trusty side kick Joe Wolf Mantooth.

It takes place on an island on the Florida coast called Joyuse where Faye's ancestral home stands, which in between jobs she restores.

This chapter in her saga focuses on The Civil War and the Confederacy's Gold that disappeared after the war. She stumbles onto an emerald believed to belong to Marie Antoinette and the death and destruction start from there. Pick it up you won't be disappointed.

It's put out by Poisoned Pen Press a small publishing house in Arizona that only pubs mysteries. I read a lot of other authors who publish with them also.

Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier for the Lit by women group. Discussion just started so if you are interested, come on over and join the group.

Kaye

Groucho Marx
Contributor
legalchic-52
0 Kudos

I am currently reading two books.  Obsession by Jonathan Kellerman and the fourth book in the Restoration series by Terri Blackstock, Dawn's Light.   
Contributor
legalchic-52
0 Kudos

I have read both of Jefferson Bass's books.  I live just outside of Nashville, so it is pretty neat when he talks about places I have been!!