Contributor
goat123

Re: What are you reading right now?

I am re-reading And Then There Were None by Agathar Christie. It still is one of my all-time favorite mysteries....hard to believe I still am surpised when the villian shows up :smileyhappy:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dasz wrote:
I just finished "At Risk" by Stella Rimington (previously read "Secret Asset" which also was very good). Rimington was the first female head of MI5.  I plan to read her autobiography next.  She's a very good writer and knowing she draws her characters and plots on her work experiences makes for an excellent read :smileyhappy:

I haven't read any of her books -- thanks for the recommendation!
becke_davis
0 Kudos

goat123 wrote:

I am re-reading And Then There Were None by Agathar Christie. It still is one of my all-time favorite mysteries....hard to believe I still am surpised when the villian shows up :smileyhappy:

I try to let some time pass between rereading her books.  Then at least some parts of the mystery will be a surprise!
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

goat123 wrote:

I try to let some time pass between rereading her books.  Then at least some parts of the mystery will be a surprise!

Yes, that is one of the few disadvantages to reading mysteries - it is difficult to enjoy them as much when you remember what the ending will be!  I guess maybe one thing to be thankful for as I get older is that I may not have to let as much time pass between readings!:smileywink:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

Sanctuary Hill by kathryn Wall a mystery set in SC with a widowed P.I. and her father the Judge as main characters. This case involves a baby found in a floating styrofoam cooler. Another case involves a real estate dealer's missing wife. Some voodoo references but I am not far enough into it to know more, I finished Letter of the Law by Tim  Green and that was a really good mystery,After that I started The House of Stairs by Barbara Vine but it was soooooooo boring that I had to give it up! Not like when she writes as Ruth Rendell.

kaye

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
becke_davis
0 Kudos

momgee wrote:

Sanctuary Hill by kathryn Wall a mystery set in SC with a widowed P.I. and her father the Judge as main characters. This case involves a baby found in a floating styrofoam cooler. Another case involves a real estate dealer's missing wife. Some voodoo references but I am not far enough into it to know more, I finished Letter of the Law by Tim  Green and that was a really good mystery,After that I started The House of Stairs by Barbara Vine but it was soooooooo boring that I had to give it up! Not like when she writes as Ruth Rendell.

kaye

Sounds interesting.  Tell me more about Letter of the Law -- I've never read anything by him.

Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

Hi Becke - Letter of the Law is set in Texas. A young female attorney defends her former law professor in a horriffic murder trial and just when they announce the verdict, he tells her an explosive secret. The rest of the book is just a rapid page turner. Whew!  Couldn't read it fast enough. The first chapter seems disconnected with the story until the end when Green ties it all together. Quite a ride. I don't want to give away the story so no more details. :smileywink:You'll have to read it for yourself. Lol. Actually, this book is from 2000 and the blurb on the back says he has written 5 other novels. Frankly, I never heard of him before but just picked up the book at the library book sale and stuck it on the shelf for a rainy day. At the book sales, I try to pick up unheard of (by me anyway) authors because a lot of times you find a winner.This Tim Green is such to me and at some point will track down a few more of his books. My husband is reading it now and seems to be enjoying it too.  Hope this helps

Kaye

becke_davis wrote:

momgee wrote:

kaye

Sounds interesting.  Tell me more about Letter of the Law -- I've never read anything by him.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Thanks for telling me about this author, I'll have to look for his books.
Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

Hi all,  Mama Does Time , by Deborah Sharp is a really fun new cozy I just finished for review. It's set in Himmarshie, a fictional small town in southern Florida. Murder, mayhem, Mama along with her three daughters and dog Teensie, the pomeranian pogo stick,make for a great combination.   There's even a one eyed alligator for that real Florida feel!  Lots of clues and red herrings. A budding or rekindled romance included. A truly enjoyable read. Full review should be up in a couple of days. The book is set for October release and can be preordered through Barnes & Noble.

Kaye

Groucho Marx
Contributor
vreader
0 Kudos

Thanks for mentioning this book--sounds like something I would enjoy. Have you read any of the Jimmie Ruth Evans' Trailer Park mysteries? They sound sort of similar.

Right now, I'm trying to catch up in the Hard Case Crime line-up, reading the fourth Dave Robicheaux book, A Morning for Flamingos, by James Lee Burke, and just finished Bones to Ashes by Kathy Reichs.

Connie

Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have read Jimmie Ruth Evans but I think this new author writes a better story, tighter plot, great local descriptions, better character development and I like it when there are numerous sub plots. Deborah Sharp is a native Floridian and  was a reporter for USA today. She will be coming out with the sequel in July of 2009. So put these two on your tbr list!:smileywink:

Kaye

vreader wrote:

Thanks for mentioning this book--sounds like something I would enjoy. Have you read any of the Jimmie Ruth Evans' Trailer Park mysteries? They sound sort of similar.

Right now, I'm trying to catch up in the Hard Case Crime line-up, reading the fourth Dave Robicheaux book, A Morning for Flamingos, by James Lee Burke, and just finished Bones to Ashes by Kathy Reichs.

Connie

Message Edited by momgee on 09-18-2008 12:53 PM
Groucho Marx
Correspondent
LindaEducation
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Just started "At The Stroke of Madness" by Alex Kava.  I only got through about 13 pages last night as it was very very late in the evening.  I cannot wait to continue it tonight. 

From the back cover:

FBI Special Agent Maggie O'Dell is just starting a vacation when she gets a call from her friend, psychologist Dr. Gwen Patterson.  One of Gwen's patients is missing on a trip to Connecticut. Can Maggie look into Joan Begley's disappearance?

At first Maggie dismisses Gwen's concern. But when the body of a woman is discovered in an abandoned rock quarry in Connecticut, Maggie heads to the small town on "unofficial" business. Soon the shocking news surfaces that more bodies have been discovered, and Maggie is drawn into a case that confounds both local law enforcement and a seasonal criminal profiler like herself!

But where is Joan Begley? Is she in fact the woman discovered in the quarry? Or is she the unwilling guest of a killer obsessed with possessing an unimanigable prize from his victims?

Message Edited by LindaEducation on 09-18-2008 06:25 PM
You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend. -- Paul Sweeney
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Sounds good - thanks for the recommendation!
Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

That does sound good. Even though I moved from New England almost 10 years ago, I still like stories set in that area. Another one for the tbr list!

Kaye

Groucho Marx
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I'm getting in the mood for November by rereading A Man Lay Dead, Ngaio Marsh's first Roderick Alleyn mystery!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

That would be a good one to include; also Artists in Crime.  Her books are pretty fast reads so I think we can include a couple of books without scaring anyone off.  It's not like you're required to read them all -- it just gives us more to talk about over the course of the month
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I think it would be a good one, too, but unfortunately B&N doesn't have it available. :smileysad:  I think when you made the November announcement and posted a link to available titles, they only have about a half dozen of them.

I had been the one to suggest Artists in Crime, which they do have (yay!), so maybe someone else can pick the other one.  I have them all!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Well, darn, I was thinking that one was available.  I've already asked for Artists in Crime to go on our November list.  I guess our other choice(s) will be based on availability.
New User
Mr56
0 Kudos

I am reading Dead Letter, a fun Minnesota murder mystery set in Southern Minnesota, by Frank Shima.
Correspondent
LindaEducation
0 Kudos

I saw the Elizabeth George posts and was interested in reading her books. I ordered one of her books (used) and received it in yesterday's mail. It is "With No One As Witness".
You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend. -- Paul Sweeney