Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

dhaupt

For lovers of Irish Mysteries you might try Declan Hughes, he has a series it's very good it's about an Irish man who comes back to Ireland after living in the states for a long time, they are a little dark but worth the read here's a link to his web-site http://www.declanhughesbooks.com/

Also Father Andrew Greeley has a couple of series that fit this bill and they are very good also, I really like the Nuala McGrail mysteries, his mysteries are very cozy with a lot of romance in them the chemistry between Nuala and her husband Dermot are very touching and you just get a really good feeling after reading them they are based in Chicago where he's from here's a link to his web-site http://www.agreeley.com/index.htm 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Debbie - How is Father Greeley doing?  I remember he had a bad fall recently, didn't he?
dhaupt

It was such a sad thing when I found out about his injury, he's such a great author and human being. Here's the last update on his condition from his family: Every one who knows him as an author or a priest is welcome to comment or leave a prayer or thought on his blog.

Health update 01/15/09 from downtown Chicago

Father Greeley has been discharged from the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago (RIC) and returned home where he will continue intensive therapy for traumatic brain injury. His family wishes to express deep appreciation to the RIC physicians and support staff for the outstanding care he received, and to all his friends and fans who have been praying for him.

Father Andrew Greeley had been recovering at the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, weeks after he fell and suffered a head injury. The Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago is the #1 rehab facility in the country, and his family is confident that he will receive the best care there. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

As bad as this is, I remember when it first happened it didn't sound like there was much hope.  I'm glad he's still hanging on.
dhaupt

Yeah me too Becke, but I really don't think he'll be able to write anymore with the extent of his injuries and he will be truly missed.
Inspired Wordsmith
julestrik
0 Kudos

I would like to throw out a question to anyone in the know...Is Elizabeth George going to write another Lynley series book?  I realize she just wrote one in May of last year but I'm missing the series and anxious for the next book.  I do wish these authors would write faster. 
Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

Just recently read Death of a Witch, M.C. Beaton's latest in the Hamish McBeth series. Quick fun read, nice break from some of the review books I need to get to. Although, Irreplaceable by Stephen Lovely and The Help were 2 debut novels I just read and reviewed and they were wonderful, especially The Help by Kathryn Stockett. Loved it!

Kaye

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I've been hearing a lot about The Help lately, guess I'll have to add that one to the TBR pile.

The Help  

Correspondent
momgee

Becke et al,  here  is a great site that lists blog postings. There are over 120 blog members and as soon as a blogger posts something new, it shows up here. You can scan the list and see who is posting about what book or contests for books and just general musings about books. You can also hit the search review button, type in the book you are looking for and you will see what blogs have reviewed that book. I rated The Help 5***** and any other blog that has reviewed it gave it a high rating also.  There is something new going on in the book blogosphere every day. Today is Teaser Tuesday and It's Tuesday, where are you. Lots of fun, if you are new to this wondrous world of blogging, come take a look.  My site is here

I am now reading The Italian Lover and it is shaping up to be a really good read. I hope you get your copy soon. It usually seems to take about 3-4 weeks.  Enjoy! Happy reading to all.

Kaye

becke_davis wrote:

I've been hearing a lot about The Help lately, guess I'll have to add that one to the TBR pile.

The Help  

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Author
Hank_Phillippi_Ryan
0 Kudos

I just got The Shanghai Noon, the newest by SJ Rozan. I heard her read at an event last week, and she was absolutely stellar.  You know, sometimes, when you just know a book is going to be terrific? From page one, as she read it, I was drawn in.

My husband and I just finished The Brass Verdict, which we both enjoyed. His writing is so crisp and dry and terse and yet so evocative.

TBR pile: the new Michael Palmer. The new Rosemary Harris.  (I'm hearing Joseph FInder is working on something brand new. Hmmm... And! Can't wait for the new Nancy Pickard.)

Looking forward to Rhys Bowen's visit here! 

Hank
http://www.HankPhillippiRyan.com
watch for THE OTHER WOMAN coming in 2012
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Hank,

Your screen name is cut off on the thread listing, but the beginning of it looked very familiar, so I took a quick look at your profile and saw the rest.  Wow - a local celebrity!  I've seen you on the news, but I didn't know that you also write mysteries.  Cool!

Dulcinea

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

Hank,

Your screen name is cut off on the thread listing, but the beginning of it looked very familiar, so I took a quick look at your profile and saw the rest.  Wow - a local celebrity!  I've seen you on the news, but I didn't know that you also write mysteries.  Cool!

Dulcinea

Hank Phillippi-Ryan has several books coming out soon: two are reissues, which will be followed by new books that will be released a couple months apart.  We are waiting until closer to the release dates to schedule anything, but there's an excellent chance Hank's books will be featured on this board later in the year.

Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

I went to check that link and it didn't seem to work try this http://www.herebereviews.com/

Groucho Marx
Author
Hank_Phillippi_Ryan
0 Kudos

Hi Dulcinea! So you live in New England, too? And you've seen me on the news? And then--we meet here at B & N? Got to admit, that's wonderful.  Yes, I write mysteries about Charlotte McNally, 40-something investigative reporter--she's smart and successful, but worried that if she doesn't come up with her biggest story yet, she'll be replaced by someone younger. And then she gets a certain email... Anyway. More on PRIME TIME later. But lovely to meet you.

Kaye, Teaser Tuesday is a wonderful idea! I'm hooked.

ANd just added to my TBR--the newest Annette Blair. She is so clever!

Hank
http://www.HankPhillippiRyan.com
watch for THE OTHER WOMAN coming in 2012
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Yes Hank I recognized your name too as an author I can't wait until the next book comes out sort.

You meet so many cool people here!! 

dhaupt
0 Kudos

I just finished reading People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks for my in-person book club.

It was amazing, it's starring an Australian book expert Hanna Heath who in the process of restoring and documenting a 15th century Haggadah (Jewish prayer book) uses clues to tell us where the book's been, in the mean time we learn a little bit about the hows and whys of the book backwards from present day til the 15th century by learning about the owners and protectors of the book.

The writing is first class and the story will keep you enthralled through every page.

It amazes and appalls me that as a race humans have been abusing and torturing people over religion since the beginning of time. It's a very good read.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Hank_Phillippi_Ryan wrote:

Hi Dulcinea! So you live in New England, too? And you've seen me on the news? And then--we meet here at B & N? Got to admit, that's wonderful.  Yes, I write mysteries about Charlotte McNally, 40-something investigative reporter--she's smart and successful, but worried that if she doesn't come up with her biggest story yet, she'll be replaced by someone younger. And then she gets a certain email... Anyway. More on PRIME TIME later. But lovely to meet you.

Yes - in the dreaded "north and west of Boston" area that the weather people love to mention so much.  Very cliche to say it, but - small world, isn't it?  I generally find the investigative pieces the most interesting parts of the newscast.  (Although I have to admit that I most often watch one of the 'other' stations, but I do catch the news on the others at times, so your name is very familiar to me.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Author
RosemaryH
0 Kudos

Well, I've read Hank's first two books, Prime Time and Face Time and I can't wait for the third! They're fast and funny and smart, just like the lady herself (we're both members of Sisters in Crime New England and first met at a meeting a few years back. We're now blog sisters at www.jungleredwriters.com)

I'm finishing up Lethal Legacy by Linda Fairstein..on tour now so my reading time has been cut short. Next up will be The Thirty-Nine Steps which I haven't read in years.

Cheers,

Rosemary

rosemary

Learn more about Pushing Up Daisies.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

See how much fun this is?  You read a book you like and come here to meet the author!

I just finished a very suspenseful book by Jeanne Adams.  It's being marketed as a romance, as far as I can tell, but could just as easily have been marketed as suspense -- it has a pace that rarely lets up for a minute, a very scary plot and a good mystery, too!  I'll be sure to read her next book, which is coming out soon.  Here they are:

Dark and Dangerous   Dark and Deadly