Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

julestrik wrote:
Changed my mind about starting a Linda Fairstein novel right now.  I needed something a little lighter so in light of all the talk about Rosemary Harris I have started to read Pushing up Daisies. 
Yeah!  I don't think Rosemary will be with us until April 1st, so you'll have a little time before her visit.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

dhaupt wrote:
Right now I just started The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane for First Look. It's a way cool book.
Debbie -- Is this a mystery?  Love the title!

It is a mystery and deals with the Salem witch trials. The author is a descendant of both a survivor and a victim of those trials.

Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

The Night Following by Morag Joss

I'm reading one of the nominations for the Edgar Award, "The Night Following" by Morag Joss. I've read all her earlier books, and her exceptional suspense fills me with constant dread.

Morag Joss hypnotizes me with her sharply drawn characters; they are remarkably realistic to me, because they're all slightly off. They all have something seriously wrong with them. The suspense, like in any Hitchcock movie, is that the reader knows the characters' weaknesses, but they don't. We witness the eventual realization of how their weaknesses doom them. It's dreadful to watch.

"TNF" deals with a woman who accidently kills an elderly woman on a bicycle.

The story alternates between her guilt-ridden obsession with the victim's husband; she witnesses, and accelerates his mental decline.

I read the book in one sitting, and had to catch my breath at the end. I found her story terrifying, and yet, simultaneously, credible. People do behave in terrifying ways.

Highly recommended. 

IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

I'm loving it! Great book, B&N got a winner this time for first look.

dhaupt wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

dhaupt wrote:
Right now I just started The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane for First Look. It's a way cool book.
Debbie -- Is this a mystery?  Love the title!

It is a mystery and deals with the Salem witch trials. The author is a descendant of both a survivor and a victim of those trials.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Author
Hank_Phillippi_Ryan
0 Kudos

Oh, IBIS, that sounds great. I'm going to click over and buy it right now.

Can't wait to discuss The Big Dirt Nap. Rosemary Harris is wonderful..and I'm eager to hear what she has to say.

And The 39 Steps..what a great choice. I've seen the movie, of course, but I'm not sure I've read the book. Are they pretty much the same, or did they change the movie? (No spoilers, of course..)

And did anyone see the Broadway play? I was so sad to have missed it--It was even in Boston, and somehow we never made it. Real life intrudes again!

And Linda Fairstein--I'm in the midst of her new one right now, too. She's such a wonderfully straight-forward writer. And so glamorous! In the most elegant of ways.

xo to all...and my crocuses are finally blooming!

Hank Phillippi Ryan

http://www.hankphillippiryan.com

Hank
http://www.HankPhillippiRyan.com
watch for THE OTHER WOMAN coming in 2012
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hank, stop by the Garden book club to talk about what's blooming in your yard/garden!
Frequent Contributor
dasz
0 Kudos

Thanks momgee - I need to check out this mystery series since I love getting to know the characters in a series, watching them develop. And I love all types of teas :smileyhappy:
Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Hi! I just finished Blood Sins by Kay Hooper. I really liked this book. I am reading Deadly Gift the last of the Deadly Series by Heather Graham. I also started The Host by Stephanie Meyer. I am not sure yet if it is a mystery or more fantasy. I have Bone Cold by Erica Spindler to read.

I am waiting for Lethal Legacy by Linda Fairstein and True Detectives by Jonathan Kellerman. Can't hardly wait.

ReadingPatti

becke_davis
0 Kudos

ReadingPatti wrote:

Hi! I just finished Blood Sins by Kay Hooper. I really liked this book. I am reading Deadly Gift the last of the Deadly Series by Heather Graham. I also started The Host by Stephanie Meyer. I am not sure yet if it is a mystery or more fantasy. I have Bone Cold by Erica Spindler to read.

I am waiting for Lethal Legacy by Linda Fairstein and True Detectives by Jonathan Kellerman. Can't hardly wait.

ReadingPatti

If you like those authors, you should check out these, too:
 Karen Rose
Allison Brennan
Samantha Graves
Mariah Stewart
Roxanne St. Clair
Patricia Potter
Linda Howard
Jayne Ann Krentz
Sharon Sala 

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

HI, I just got from my library the following: True Dectectives by Jonathan Kellerman and Lethal Legacy by Linda Fairstein. I know these will be good. I love their books. I am looking forward to reading these books.

ReadingPatti

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Over the weekend I read Lisa Jackson's Malice. You know I think she and Lisa Gardner must get together and try to out do each other in creepy bad guys because they have two of the most evil imaginations when it comes to that.

In Malice we re-visit Rick Benz her New Orleans detective who she features in many of her books. He's being haunted by his dead first wife, his current wife is keeping a secret and his life is in shambles due to his injury at the end of the book Lost Souls which features Rick's daughter Kristi. Malice was a thrill a minute keep you up til you finish it read, with lots of action, great suspense and a mind boggling mystery for you to figure out.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Over the weekend I read Lisa Jackson's Malice. You know I think she and Lisa Gardner must get together and try to out do each other in creepy bad guys because they have two of the most evil imaginations when it comes to that.

In Malice we re-visit Rick Benz her New Orleans detective who she features in many of her books. He's being haunted by his dead first wife, his current wife is keeping a secret and his life is in shambles due to his injury at the end of the book Lost Souls which features Rick's daughter Kristi. Malice was a thrill a minute keep you up til you finish it read, with lots of action, great suspense and a mind boggling mystery for you to figure out.

I agree about Lisa Jackson and Lisa Gardner, but I'd Karen Rose to that list!

Inspired Wordsmith
julestrik
0 Kudos

I finished reading Pushing up Daisys by Rosmary Harris, several weeks ago.  I loved it.  I'm waiting for The Big Dirt Nap.  I have also finished two more Linda Fairstein books, Death Dance and Bad Blood.  I am now reading Killer Heat.  I recommend all Linda Fairstein's books.  I'm trying to make a dent in my stack of Books to be read! 
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Karen Rose huh, thanks Becke I'll look her up.
Contributor
ajlina
0 Kudos

I'm about half way through Murder in Mesopotamia (Hercule Poirot Series).  I'm enjoying it, but I've liked others better.  It's still good though, and you get small glimpses of Iraq in a very different era.

I finally picked up a Father Greeley novel.  I do enjoy novels set in Ireland (even though I don't think I have any Irish in me - maybe that was in a previous life?) I just realized that I picked up Irish Mist (Nuala Anne McGrail Series)  which is the second in a series.  Does anyone know if it is truly imperative that you read these in order?  As a rule, I really do hate to read books out of order as I feel I'm missing something, but my TBR pile is dwindling and I'm getting desperate. 

dhaupt
0 Kudos

ajlina wrote:

I'm about half way through Murder in Mesopotamia (Hercule Poirot Series).  I'm enjoying it, but I've liked others better.  It's still good though, and you get small glimpses of Iraq in a very different era.

I finally picked up a Father Greeley novel.  I do enjoy novels set in Ireland (even though I don't think I have any Irish in me - maybe that was in a previous life?) I just realized that I picked up Irish Mist (Nuala Anne McGrail Series)  which is the second in a series.  Does anyone know if it is truly imperative that you read these in order?  As a rule, I really do hate to read books out of order as I feel I'm missing something, but my TBR pile is dwindling and I'm getting desperate. 

Hi, I absolutely love the Nuala McGrail series, and I would read them in order because not only are they cozy mysteries but you meet the main characters and learn how they met and fell in love etc. So yes read them in order. Come back after you've finished and let me know how you liked it. Unfortunately Father Greeley had a very bad and freak accident last year in Chicago and is still recovering, but given his age I don't know that there will be any more novels which is truly a shame because he is one of my favorite authors and I'm not catholic so that's not the reason why. So I'd be interested in knowing how you like it too.

Author
RosemaryH
0 Kudos

Hi julestrik, so glad you enjoyed Pushing Up Daisies..I'm just now finishing book three in the series, Deadhead, which should be released next spring.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned..but I thought Spencer Quinn, author of Dog On It is really Peter Abrahams. Another fun read with a dog in it is Murder Off The Books by Evelyn David.  It's actually written by two women who met in an online writing group..which I think is pretty fun in and of itself.

I am finally getting around to Citizen Vince by Jess Walter which came out in 2005 (shows you how tall my TBR stack is.) I've heard it's wonderful.

rosemary

Learn more about Pushing Up Daisies.
Contributor
ajlina
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

ajlina wrote:

Hi, I absolutely love the Nuala McGrail series, and I would read them in order because not only are they cozy mysteries but you meet the main characters and learn how they met and fell in love etc. So yes read them in order. Come back after you've finished and let me know how you liked it. Unfortunately Father Greeley had a very bad and freak accident last year in Chicago and is still recovering, but given his age I don't know that there will be any more novels which is truly a shame because he is one of my favorite authors and I'm not catholic so that's not the reason why. So I'd be interested in knowing how you like it too.

Debbie,
Thanks for the tip on the series.  I'll try to hold out until I can get my hands on the first one.  I do recall some previous posts about Father Greeley.  I was wondering if he was still on the mend.  So sad what happened. I'll let you know how I like the Nuala series once I start.  I did kind of sneak a small preview of Irish Mist and It started out great, but I didn't want to spoil too much for myself so I'm waiting.
I do have another Agatha Christie novel I can start in the mean time - Death on the Nile (Hercule Poirot Series) .  It's a trip to Egypt for me I guess, Ireland will have to wait.
Thanks again.

Inspired Wordsmith
julestrik

RosemaryH wrote:

Hi julestrik, so glad you enjoyed Pushing Up Daisies..I'm just now finishing book three in the series, Deadhead, which should be released next spring.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned..but I thought Spencer Quinn, author of Dog On It is really Peter Abrahams. Another fun read with a dog in it is Murder Off The Books by Evelyn David.  It's actually written by two women who met in an online writing group..which I think is pretty fun in and of itself.

I am finally getting around to Citizen Vince by Jess Walter which came out in 2005 (shows you how tall my TBR stack is.) I've heard it's wonderful.

Thank you for the suggestion about another mystery with a dog in it, love dogs.  I'm going to go to the B&N store today I'll pick that up along with The Big Dirt Nap.  I'm looking forward to reading your next book.  I have loved the Janet Evanovich, Stephanie Plum series because of the reoccurring characters, sometimes quirky characters and that's what I love about your book.  It feels like I'm reading about friends and family and a place I want to live.  Thanks for giving me another series I'm very excited about. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Just finished reading Out of Time by Samantha Graves.  I love the way she writes, and I'm very excited that she's going to be visiting with us soon!

Sorry I've been out of touch for a few days.  I'm in Florida with my family -- we had to drive down for a funeral, and I've been unable to access BN.com.  The site doesn't work with Safari, and that's all my husband's laptop has.  I found a computer with Mozilla Firefox, so I'm trying to make up for lost time.  We head back tomorrow.

Meantime, the long road trip gave me a lot of time to read while my son and husband shared the driving.  I also read, and really liked, Down the Rabbit Hole and Quicksand.

Out of Time  Down the Rabbit Hole (Echo Falls Series #1)  Quicksand (Eve Duncan Series #7)