Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3

Re: What are you reading right now?

becke_davis wrote:

My favorite Tuppence and Tommy book was N or M?  Enjoy!

N or M? (Tommy and Tuppence Series)  

Message Edited by becke_davis on 04-29-2009 02:54 AM

And mine is probably By the Pricking of My Thumbs, maybe because it gets them a bit out of their usual espionage fare and into more typical cozy stuff.  But I love all of their books, and Christie actually seems to blend the cozy and espionage genres together quite well.

By the Pricking of My Thumbs (Tommy and Tuppence Series) 

That comes after N or M?, though, and the second Tommy and Tuppence book is Partners in Crime, a volume of short stories.

Partners in Crime (Tommy and Tuppence Series) 

It's a fun collection, because they reference a different fictional detective in each story.  I was really only familiar with a few of them, though.

I'm glad you're enjoying Tommy and Tuppence.  I hope you like Albert, too, because you'll be seeing more of him, too!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I always thought that one would make a good movie.
Frequent Contributor
Luanne
0 Kudos

I have to pick up the Tommy and Tuppence series - I have never read them.  I seem to remember a BBC show based on one of the stories many years ago, but cannot remember which one.

I am currently reading The Moor by Laurie R. King, catching up on the Mary Russell series as there is a new one out soon (this month I think).  I learned of this series here and enjoy the books so much! 

Also, Suffer the Little Children, by Donna Leon.  I think next to Holmes, I love Commissario Guido Brunetti next best, or is it I just love the life he leads in Venice.  I think the best part of this series is their evocation of the atmosphere of Venice and Brunetti's family life, although the mysteries are good, too.

"... for myself I am an optimist -- it does not seem to be much use being anything else." Winston Churchill
becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

There was a very good Tuppence and Tommy series awhile back, with Francesca Annis as Tuppence and James Warwick as Tommy.  They didn't look anything like my mental image of the two detectives, but they were still fun to watch.  They also starred in a production of Why Didn't They Ask Evans, which I didn't think was a Tuppence and Tommy book, but I could be wrong.

Agatha Christie's Partners in Crime, Set 1: Tommy   Tommy & Tuppence: Partners in Crime Set 2   Why Didn't They Ask Evans?  

Message Edited by becke_davis on 05-01-2009 11:15 PM
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

There was a very good Tuppence and Tommy series awhile back, with Francesca Annis as Tuppence and James Warwick as Tommy.  They didn't look anything like my mental image of the two detectives, but they were still fun to watch.  They also starred in a production of Why Didn't They Ask Evans, which I didn't think was a Tuppence and Tommy book, but I could be wrong.

You're not wrong!  Kinda like putting Miss Marple into By the Pricking of My Thumbs, along with Tuppence!

I think that Annis and Warwick also did a movie of The Secret Adversary.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

You're not wrong!  Kinda like putting Miss Marple into By the Pricking of My Thumbs, along with Tuppence!

I think that Annis and Warwick also did a movie of The Secret Adversary.

THAT'S RIGHT!  I'd forgotten they did that.  I love that book (By the Pricking of My Thumbs) and I was so excited that it was being filmed.  And then they jumped the shark and I couldn't even make myself watch it.  You don't mess with my Agatha Christie.  Of course, the worst case of that was when they filmed another of my favorite stories, Cards on the Table.  THEY CHANGED THE MURDERER!  Blasphemy!  The only Christie movied I've actually LIKED was The Pale Horse, which I thought was very well done.

By the Pricking of My Thumbs (Tommy and Tuppence Series)   Why Didn't They Ask Evans?   Cards on the Table (Hercule Poirot Series)   Pale Horse   Agatha Christie - Mystery Lover's Collection  

Frequent Contributor
Nat-the-Cat
0 Kudos

Yay! This is my first post here in the book clubs Forum. It will be nice to be able to talk books with :smileywink: as rabid readers as I am.

I am switching  back and forth between Julia Spencer-Flemings Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyne series, and the Stephanie Plum Series by Janet Evanovich.

For years I was a fantasy/Paranormal book reader but this past year I've discovered Mystery Novels and Its a match made in heaven.

Does anyone have any more novels to suggest along the lines of the Clare Fergusson or Stephanie Plum series?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Welcome to the board, Nat!  We are rabid here, but we don't bite.  (Speaking for myself, of course!)  Glad to have you!
Contributor
ajlina
0 Kudos

Re: becke_davis & dulcinea3's comments on the movie versions of Agatha Christie's books

I have watched a few British versions of the Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple Series with David Suchet as Poirot.  I've really enjoyed watching them after I have read the books.  I get so irritated when they change things from the books though.  I recently watched Murder in Mesopotamia and was upset that they didn't keep the story from the nurse's point of view.  I guess I can understand maybe changing a few small things, but the change in the murderer you mentioned in Cards on the Table ????  What???? Who do these people think they are?

Poirot: Murder in Mesopotamia 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

ajlina wrote:

Re: becke_davis & dulcinea3's comments on the movie versions of Agatha Christie's books

I have watched a few British versions of the Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple Series with David Suchet as Poirot.  I've really enjoyed watching them after I have read the books.  I get so irritated when they change things from the books though.  I recently watched Murder in Mesopotamia and was upset that they didn't keep the story from the nurse's point of view.  I guess I can understand maybe changing a few small things, but the change in the murderer you mentioned in Cards on the Table ????  What???? Who do these people think they are?

Poirot: Murder in Mesopotamia 

I know, I was soooo upset!  I mean, whoever wrote the darn screenplay, more power to them, but when it says "Agatha Christie" on the title, it should darn well stick to Agatha Christie's plot!  They murdered that show for me.

Inspired Wordsmith
julestrik
0 Kudos

Nat-the-Cat wrote:

Yay! This is my first post here in the book clubs Forum. It will be nice to be able to talk books with :smileywink: as rabid readers as I am.

I am switching  back and forth between Julia Spencer-Flemings Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyne series, and the Stephanie Plum Series by Janet Evanovich.

For years I was a fantasy/Paranormal book reader but this past year I've discovered Mystery Novels and Its a match made in heaven.

Does anyone have any more novels to suggest along the lines of the Clare Fergusson or Stephanie Plum series?

Welcome Nat.  I have read all of the Janet Evanovich books.  I love the humor and have laughed out loud (sometimes while sitting in a drs. office).  I have found another series that has me laughing just as much.  Lisa Lutz has written a series about a private detective family, the Spellmans.  The first book is The Spellman Files.  It isn't as deep a mystery as the Stephanie Plum books but there are small little mysteries through out the book.  I am now reading the third book and just love it.  Also I have read Rosemary Harris' books. Pushing up Daisies and The Big Dirt Nap.  Both are a good mystery mixed with fun characters.  

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Nat-the-Cat wrote:

Hi Nat and welcome, you'll soon be great friends with all of us lovers of mysteries. 
I think you might enjoy Sarah Graves Home Repair is Homicide series. She's restoring an old home on the coast of Maine and solving crimes and the characters are really great.
Also you might like Emilie Richard's Ministry is Murder series. It stars Aggie who is a minister's wife who solves crime and rehabs houses in her spare time. It's not real religious or any thing and would appeal to Plum fans. And her characters are a hoot.
There's a series by Andrew Greeley the Nuala Anne McGrail series, she's a transplant from Ireland who marries a Chicagoan and she's a little fey as well. It's a great series, very well written and one of my favorites as well as the two I've mentioned above.
Hope I've given you some good suggestions and enjoy!! 

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Over the weekend I finished Greg Rucka's:

Walking Dead (Atticus Kodiak Series #7)  

This was the best book in the series. You can read it as a stand alone, but if you pick it up don't have anything important to do because you will not be able to put it down.  It's about human trafficking from Eastern Europe all the way to the States and beyond. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Debbie - that book sounds really good, but scary!  I've picked up several new books to read, but I've been focusing on our featured authors (present and upcoming) recently:

Everything Ravaged, Everything Burned   No Time for Goodbye   Getting Old Is the Best Revenge   Her Royal Spyness   Royal Pain   Flipping Out   The Rabbit Factory   Dead Before Dark   In the Blink of an Eye   Don't Scream  

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I've started Carolyn Hart's latest Death on Demand novel,Dare to Die (Death on Demand Series #19)  
becke_davis
0 Kudos

To clarify: these are the ones I've recently read AND am about to read.  Haven't worked my way through the pile yet.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
To clarify: these are the ones I've recently read AND am about to read.  Haven't worked my way through the pile yet.
They all look really good, and haven't worked your way through the pile yet. Imagine that.

Author
Hank_Phillippi_Ryan
0 Kudos

Hi all! I'm so impressed by the reading lists...and the tbr piles. It's fun to know I'm not the only one with a teetering pile on my nightstand. 

My husband read the new John Grisham, and was baffled by the ending. Did anyone else read that? (Don't want to reveal any spoilers..)

I highly highly recommend Stefanie Pintoff's debut "In the Shadow of Gotham."  (I'm in the middle of it now..) I really enjoyed The Alienist, By Caleb Carr, and The Waterworks (and of course Ragtime) by EL Doctorow. And it's in the same vein...very evocative of the time. I always marvel at the research necessary to write historicals, and this book is so seamless. It doesn't seem like that's "research"--it's just so natural.

And I'm so proud of myself for figuring how to insert a bookcover. Small pleasures..

xo Hank

http://wwww.HankPhillippiRyan.com

Cover Image
Hank
http://www.HankPhillippiRyan.com
watch for THE OTHER WOMAN coming in 2012
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hank - It took me way too long to figure out how to insert a book cover.  Fun, isn't it (just click "add product" if any of you haven't figured it out yet.

I'll have to check these books out, although I'm not sure I'll read the Grisham.  I loved the Street Lawyer, but he isn't an auto-buy for me.  I love some of his books; others, I don't like at all.

Have you read these books?  I love them!  

The Knowledge of Water   A Citizen of the Country   Vanished Child (Boston Mystery Series   

Another author I loved was Carol O'Connell.  I started reading this series when it first came out, but stopped following it after awhile.  It's the kind of series you should read one right after another,because it gets confusing if you let a lot of time elapse between books.

Mallory's Oracle (Kathleen Mallory Series #1)   The Man Who Cast Two Shadows (Kathleen Mallory Series #2)   Killing Critics (Kathleen Mallory Series #3)   Stone Angel (Kathleen Mallory Series #4)   Shell Game (Kathleen Mallory Series #5)   Crime School (Kathleen Mallory Series #6)   Dead Famous (Kathleen Mallory Series #7)   Winter House (Kathleen Mallory Series #8)   Find Me (Kathleen Mallory Series #9)  

Frequent Contributor
Nat-the-Cat

julestrik wrote:
Welcome Nat.  I have read all of the Janet Evanovich books.  I love the humor and have laughed out loud (sometimes while sitting in a drs. office).  I have found another series that has me laughing just as much.  Lisa Lutz has written a series about a private detective family, the Spellmans.  The first book is The Spellman Files.  It isn't as deep a mystery as the Stephanie Plum books but there are small little mysteries through out the book.  I am now reading the third book and just love it.  Also I have read Rosemary Harris' books. Pushing up Daisies and The Big Dirt Nap.  Both are a good mystery mixed with fun characters.  

I'll definitely have to check those out! They sound perfect.

I've looked at the Spellman novels before but haven't read one yet, and I've never read any thing by Rosemary Harris.

My husband sits and looks at me like I'm crazy while I read the Stephanie Plum novels b/c I sit there laughing so hard. He's not much of a reader so he doesn't understand how something in a book could be so entertaining.

Thanks for the suggestions!