Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

I've been a fan of our featured author, Wendy Corsi Staub, for years but I'm new to Marshall Karp. I'm working my way through his booklist:

Bloodthirsty   The Rabbit Factory   Flipping Out  

New User
book_knook_q
0 Kudos

The Manufactured Identity by Heath Sommer. Kinda cool so far. Lot of characters.Lot of mental health stuff.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

book_knook_q wrote:
The Manufactured Identity by Heath Sommer. Kinda cool so far. Lot of characters.Lot of mental health stuff.
The Manufactured Identity  

Here's the link. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

I've been chugging through.

The Garden of Evil (Nic Costa Series #6) 

Ok first I didn't know it was a seires piece, but that isn't the issue I'm having. It's taken over half the book for me to sort of tell one character from the other. Little character description, just names. And since they're Italian and not common to me, they just aren't clicking. At this point I just want to finish to see if the bad guys get caught. What a frustrating book.

New User
hannah4colbert
0 Kudos

I picked up Drood by dan simmons at the library and I'm about 200 pages into and so far, I am not impressed. Should I continue reading? It is worth it? I can't seem to get into it. <_<
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'm sure I've read something by that author, but not that book, so I can't help you there.
Inspired Wordsmith
julestrik
0 Kudos

I just finished reading the newest Stephanie Plum novel!  Janet Evanovich has done it again.  "Finger Lickin' Fifteen" is as always entertaining.  I laughed out loud so many times on the beach, while sitting alone, I'm sure people were staying far away from the crazy lady.  I'm now reading my first Jesse Stone novel by Robert B. Parker.  It's good so far.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm sure most of you associate Nora Roberts with romance, but her latest book is a great read for those of you looking for romantic suspense. I just finished it, cursing her (in the best way, of course! :smileywink:) for making it so addictive that I had to lug a 500-page hardcover back and forth on the plane (I couldn't put it down!):

Black Hills  

Message Edited by becke_davis on 07-20-2009 10:30 AM
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Reading this now -- really good!  Unseen  
Distinguished Correspondent
biljounc63
0 Kudos

I'm Now readingThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo 
Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
~ Joseph Addison ~

"Reading lets you visit the world of another"
Inspired Wordsmith
julestrik
0 Kudos

Enjoy!  I loved this book and I'm waiting for the second!
Author
Hank_Phillippi_Ryan
0 Kudos

Hi All

It's still raining in Boston--as it has ALL summer. It's good for the lawn though, and for reading! My husband is immersed in Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. He said it was slow getting started, but now he can barely put it down.

I'm a little constrained in talking about what I'm reading, since I'm judging a contest and am mostly reading books that are entered. But I'll be able to tell you more--someday.

The New England Sisters in Crime just had a great panel discussion on Beach Reads--where we not only talked about our books, but the ones we recommend.

Curse of the Kissing Cousins   Toni LP Kelner,(whose newest is Curse of the Kissing Cousins)  recommended Charlaine Harris's hilarious Sookie Stackhouse series.

The Big Dirt Nap  Rosemary Harris (whose newest is The Big Dirt Nap) recommended Jennifer McMahon's chilling Promise not to Tell.

Rotten to the Core  Sheila Connolly (ROtten to the Core) recommended Vick Lane's terrific mysteries.

Shades of Grey  Clea Simon (Shades of Grey) recommended Karen Olson's hip and fun tattoo series set in LAs Vegas, beginning with The Missing Ink.

Prime Time  And I, with PRIME TIME  now on sale and Face Time coming up Tuesday!) recommded all of Peters Abrahams--for adults, thrillers like Nerve Damage, for teens, his charming Echo Falls mysteries (like Behind the Curtain) and for--dogs? The wonderful Dog on It, written from the point of view of a dog!) under the pseudonym Spencer Quinn.

Hope you're having a great summer..  Becke, so wonderful to meet you in DC!

xo

Hank

http://www.HankPhillippiRyan.com

Hank
http://www.HankPhillippiRyan.com
watch for THE OTHER WOMAN coming in 2012
becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hank - It was monsoon weather in Cincinnati yesterday, but it's nice today. I see you mentioned Jennifer McMahon -- my daughter and I are HUGE fans! Promise Not to Tell was wonderful, and it was weird for me because I read it right after reading a Harlen Coben (Bolitar) book that had a similar premise. Reading them one after the other was like a one-two punch. And, now that I think of it, I'm not sure if it was Promise Not to Tell or Island of Lost Girls that had the Coben connection -- I read them a week apart.

Promise Not to Tell   Dismantled   Island of Lost Girls   Promise Me (Myron Bolitar Series #8)  

I have Jennifer's new book at the top of my TBR pile, but my daughter finished it yesterday and says it's absolutely wonderful. When she started the book, she said it made her think of Joshilyn Jackson's The Girl Who Stopped Swimming, but I think she meant that the similarity was in style of writing.

The Girl Who Stopped Swimming  

I just finished Alexandra Sokoloff's The Unseen, which reminded me a little of Dorothy McArdle's classic, The Uninvited. I hadn't read anything along those lines in quite awhile, and I really liked it.

Great to see you here - it was wonderful to meet you in person! 

Unseen   The Uninvited  

Message Edited by becke_davis on 07-26-2009 11:48 AM
Author
RosemaryH
0 Kudos

Hi Becke,

Beach Reads was a fun event and Sisters in Crime's New England Chapter (sincne.org)hopes to do more of them..fingers crossed we'll have another at the Peabody Barnes & Noble this fall. It's fun to be able to talk about someone else's book in addition to your own. After all, I don't know any mystery writer who isn't a reader, too.

I just read my first Jane Haddam,  Living Witness, and I loved it. A mystery unfolds in a small town where an upcoming lawsuit about adding a book to the school's library  has the residents choosing sides - and the people on one side of the issue start dying.

I'll be moderating a panel at the New England Crimebake this November (crimebake.org). Panelists are Jane Haddam, Mary Anne Tirone-Smith, Cynthia Riggs and Bill Tapply, so I'll be reading their books for the rest of the summer - lucky me.

Cheers from soggy CT...at least the plants look good!

rosemary

Learn more about Pushing Up Daisies.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi Rosemary - thanks for the update! (And, BTW, we're trying to get the synopsis of The Big Dirt Nap corrected). It's been soggy in Cincinnati, too - a wet year in this half of the country, while my friends on the west coast would love to have our rain!

After you've read all those books, come back and tell us about your favorites -- I'd love to hear about them. It's always fun to find new authors (I should say, authors who are new to me.) 

Frequent Contributor
Luanne
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi - I am just coming up for air from an unplanned three-in-a-row expedition into WWI stories.  Starting with our May read, Her Royal Spyness (I LOVED it!!!), I then had on the top of my TBR pile the first Maisie Dobbs and the next Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes, which was Justice Hall (both because new ones in those series came out this spring).  Unplanned, but it was fascinating to read three very different looks at the ravages of WWI on England (and to see some amazing similarities in writing!). 

Can anyone suggest a humorous mystery for a change of pace for me (in addition to my fellow Jersey girl, Stephanie Plum)?

I also want to mention that I followed up on Becke's mention of a Brenda Novak auction for Diabetes and while I couldn't find your offering, Becke, I did bid, and won several items, including a collection of signed mysteries by THE JUNGLE RED WRITERS, including our fellow contributors here, Rosemary Harris and Hank Phillippi Ryan (in alphabetical order) and several others, including Rhys Bowen. I love the web site and cannot wait to work through all these new books and series!!!!!  Thanks ladies (notes are also on there way to you).  Hank - love the lip balms (which have book cover wrappers!!!) -- they are on my office desk and everyone comments!!!  Becke, thanks for mentioning that auction!!!

Luanne

Message Edited by Luanne on 07-28-2009 10:24 AM
"... for myself I am an optimist -- it does not seem to be much use being anything else." Winston Churchill
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Some of my friends are hooked on Tamar Myers books, which are very light-hearted. And while I haven't read Donna Andrews yet, I hear hers are good, too. Jill Churchill's Grace and Favor mysteries aren't hilarious, but they are fun cozies -- she has other good series, too.

No Use Dying Over Spilled Milk   Hell Hath No Curry   The Penguin Who Knew Too Much (Meg Langslow Series #8)   Murder with Peacocks (Meg Langslow Series #1)   Grime and Punishment (Jane Jeffry Series #1)   Anything Goes (Grace and Favor Series #1)  

I have one of Hank Phillippi Ryan's lip glosses, too, and they're great! I had the pleasure of meeting Hank at the Romance Writers Convention last week (her books are considered romance, but they have a strong mystery storyline), and she is both glamorous and sooo nice! She will be a featured author here in September so be sure and check in then. 

It was purely an accident that so many Jungle Red authors have been featured here -- I've been a fan of Rhys Bowen's for years, and didn't even realize she was part of Jungle Red until long after I'd invited her to visit. I'm so glad you are enjoying the books of all these great authors! 

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Right now I'm reading:

Killer Summer  

It's the third in the series about Sun Valley Idaho Sheriff Walt Fleming. It's very good so far, but I expect nothing less from one of my favorite authors who's also a local of mine, lives in St. Louis.  In this adventure Walt takes on killers who want to steal some rare bottles of wine preposed to have been a gift from Thomas Jefferson to John Adams.

Frequent Contributor
Luanne
0 Kudos

Hi Becke, Thanks for the suggestions -- I had read read one of the Grace and Favour years ago and forgotten the author and series 'name' so appreciate the reminder.  I liked the "Peacocks" and will get the next in the series!  I actually just started Skinny Dip by Hiassen which sounds as far from WWI England as one can get! 

Can't wait for the September selection(s).

L.

"... for myself I am an optimist -- it does not seem to be much use being anything else." Winston Churchill
Frequent Contributor
ms_linda
0 Kudos

I'm reading The Beekeeper's Apprentice and am really enjoying it. I'm not a really big Sherlock Holmes fan so I'm pleasantly surprised. I just ordered The Girl Who Played with Fire and can't wait to start it.