Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
julestrik
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

I have finished with all of the Jesse Stone series by Robert B. Parker and now starting on the Sunny Randall series.  I have always enjoyed women authors and for whatever reason I don't read many books written by men, but I am hooked on these books.  They are quick reads and the story line moves just along at a fast pace.  I love the personal side of the books and all the issues the main characters are dealing with while solving the murders, or missing people.  These books have been out for a long time but if there is someone looking for a good read they should try a Jesse Stone book.  Night Passage if the first in the Jesse Stone series.  Good Reading!
becke_davis

Julestrik, I'm also a big fan of Robert B. Parker. I've been reading his Spenser books for decades, but discovered Sunny Randall and Jesse Stone awhile back, too. I LOVE the Sunny Randall books -- and I was a bit doubtful if I'd like them. I liked the Jesse Stone movies almost as much as the books -- a rarity for me -- but the last one was too darn depressing. In addition to his Spenser, Sunny Randall and Jesse Stone books, Parker is also writing Westerns now. He is incredibly prolific!

Here's a selection of Robert B. Parker books for those of you who haven't read them yet:

Night Passage (Jesse Stone Series #1)   Trouble in Paradise (Jesse Stone Series #2)   Death in Paradise (Jesse Stone Series #3)   Family Honor (Sunny Randall Series #1)   Perish Twice (Sunny Randall Series #2)   Shrink Rap (Sunny Randall Series #3)   Godwulf Manuscript (Spenser Series #1)   God Save the Child (Spenser Series #2)   Mortal Stakes (Spenser Series #3)   Promised Land (Spenser Series #4)   Judas Goat (Spenser Series #5)   Looking for Rachel Wallace (Spenser Series #6)   Early Autumn (Spenser Series #7)   Savage Place (Spenser Series #8)   Ceremony (Spenser Series #9)   Widening Gyre (Spenser Series #10)  

B&N Bookseller
WendyB

Parker's Spenser novels are among my all time favorite reads!  Each time a new one comes out it's like a present to be treasured.  When my Mom was still living we'd read them at the same time, comparing notes and reactions.  Now I imagine Mom's reaction as I read each new title. For both of us, Spenser's dialogue with Hawk was the favorite thing. They are two of the most memorable  characters there are in the world of mystery fiction.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Oh, Janewheel, I totally agree -- the Hawk/Spenser friendship is my favorite thing about those books!
New User
CloudMinder
0 Kudos

Both the Jesse Stone and Spenser series are great.  Problem is that I think back to Robert Urich.  Great actor, sad loss.  I am reading Precession, which is the first novel by Abigail Arrington.  It is engaging, especially the characters.  Very timely as it hits on the reality show buzz with a twist, has a wrenching story about domestic violence and is fairly true-to-life on the legal battle. 

dhaupt
0 Kudos

I'm just about to finish:

Floodgates  

It's by one of my favorite mystery writers and I love a lot of the mysteries published by Poisoned Pen Press a little Pub house in Arizona where a lot of my favorite authors publish from

Really great read

And then finally I'l start 

Dark and Deadly  

Yay can't wait to talk about it on Monday. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

In addition to the books by our featured authors, I recently read Suzanne Brockmann's latest, and I'm nearly finished with Linda Howard's BURN. Both will keep you on the edge of your seat -- I loved (am loving) them both:

Hot Pursuit (Troubleshooters Series #15)   Burn  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Debbie - I'm not familiar with Mary Evans, the author of Floodgate. Tell me more!
B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner
0 Kudos

I just finished reading The Language of Bees, which brings me up to speed with Laurie R. King's entire Mary Russell series (which I only started reading back in February or March).

I've now moved on to Faceless Killers, the first of Henning Mankell's Kurt Wallander novels. If you haven't seen the three-part Wallander adaptation starring Kenneth Branagh (aired on PBS's Masterpiece Mystery), definitely check it out.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt

[ Edited ]

Mary Anna Evans is the author of 

5 books about Archeologist Faye Longchamp and her side kick Joe Wolf Mantooth

Faye lives at her ancestral home Joyeuse a Plantation located on a small island off the Florida Pan Handle in the Gulf of Mexico. Here's some background - she's a graduate student, she can trace her ancestry back before the Civil War where her White Plantation owing so many great grandfathers back freed and then married her Black so many great grandmothers back and Faye's line was started. Her mysteries are a bit darker than cozy but wouldn't scare anyone really, they're not long reads most about 250 pages or so and they're well written and have very interesting plots. This last one Floodgates takes place in New Orleans and revolves around a crime committed during Katrina.  Here's a link to her web-site

http://www.maryannaevans.com/ 

Artifacts               

Relics  

Effigies  

Findings  

Floodgates

Message Edited by dhaupt on 08-07-2009 03:48 PM
becke_davis
0 Kudos

They sound really interesting, Debbie! Thanks for telling us about these.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

This is my first post here on Monday am because I have to tell you how much I'm LOVING -

Prime Time  

This is not my first acquaintance with Hank and I love her other work, but this book is for me. I love that the hero and heroine aren't 20 or even 30 somethings I love that this woman is(even at the ripe old age of 40 something) still confused about relationships professional and personal, I love that she still wants to primp for a first date. I LOVE HER!!!!!

So if you haven't read this book GET OUT THERE!!!!

Hank cudos! And hey I bet I'll love it even more when I'm finished and then Bring On Face Time!   :womanvery-happy:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

This is my first post here on Monday am because I have to tell you how much I'm LOVING -

Prime Time  

This is not my first acquaintance with Hank and I love her other work, but this book is for me. I love that the hero and heroine aren't 20 or even 30 somethings I love that this woman is(even at the ripe old age of 40 something) still confused about relationships professional and personal, I love that she still wants to primp for a first date. I LOVE HER!!!!!

Hank cudos! And hey I bet I'll love it even more when I'm finished and then Bring On Face Time!   :womanvery-happy:

I loved it when she helped out by filling in for the new anchor and they CUT her unmade-up 40-something face and used her bit as a voiceover. And I loved the way should would secretly Google her ex-husband!

There are two more books (and I believe a fourth is on the way):
Face Time   Air Time  

dhaupt
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

Prime Time  

I loved it when she helped out by filling in for the new anchor and they CUT her unmade-up 40-something face and used her bit as a voiceover. And I loved the way should would secretly Google her ex-husband!

There are two more books (and I believe a fourth is on the way):
Face Time  Air Time  

I know Becke ouch, I felt her pain. 

becke_davis

I heard good things about this book and started reading it today. It's really good! Don't know if I'd classify it as a mystery or a paranormal, but it's a great read!

Sandman Slim  

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

The Paranormal & Urban Fantasy group is reading it this month. I haven't read the thread, but the book looks good.

becke_davis wrote:

I heard good things about this book and started reading it today. It's really good! Don't know if I'd classify it as a mystery or a paranormal, but it's a great read!

Sandman Slim  

Reader 2
donnaNY
0 Kudos

I've just started on John Grisham's "The Associate'.  I have enjoyed all his books, so I know i will like this one too.  I have this summer off, and with all the rain we've been having I've been doing lots of reading!!  I bought a bunch of Agatha Christie books,  read  Scarpetta by

Patricia Cornwall, (I've enjoyed her books for years)  p.d. James,  Laurie R. King (love her Mary Russell series), and right now my brain is having a meltdown cause I also listen to books on tape or cd's.  I also enjoy M.C. Beaton with her Hamish McBeth and Agatha Raisin mysteries.  There are soo many, life is good :smileyvery-happy:

becke_davis

The jacket blurb made me think of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files books, and I love those. I even like the TV series, which is rare. Like a lot of books these days, the Dresden Files stories have a mystery involved but they aren't what you'd call mysteries. I'd call them urban fantasy. I'll post links to a few of those books here, because I think some of you would like them, but the main discussion will be on the book clubs moderated by the fabulous Paul Goat Allen.

Jim Butcher Boxed Set   Storm Front (Dresden Files Series #1)   Fool Moon (Dresden Files Series #2)   Grave Peril (Dresden Files Series #3)   Summer Knight (Dresden Files Series #4)   Death Masks (Dresden Files Series #5)