becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

John Grisham's books are great reads -- my favorite is probably The Street Lawyer.

I've read all but the most recent books by Patricia Cornwell. Here are a few links to books by those authors:

Associate   The Innocent Man   The Appeal   The Street Lawyer   The Brethren   A Time to Kill   The Firm   The Partner   The Testament   The Client   Postmortem (Kay Scarpetta Series #1)   Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta Series #2)   All That Remains (Kay Scarpetta Series #3)   Cruel and Unusual (Kay Scarpetta Series #4)   Body Farm (Kay Scarpetta Series #5)   From Potter's Field (Kay Scarpetta Series #6)  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I was at the Barnes & Noble store in Newport-on-the-Levee in Kentucky today, and saw Nina Bruhns' book on the new release shelf. I hadn't read it yet so I bought it:

Shoot to Thrill  

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Shadows 

One of those I started, put down, forgot about, found in the try again later pile.

Glad I did. It didn't impress me the first time around. I stopped at chapter 2, but this one gets rolling around chapter 4.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I've read almost all of her books, but that title doesn't ring a bell.
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

It's the last one I found in paperback form. Can't remember exactly when I got it, but it's at least a year ago.
Author
JacquelineSeewald
0 Kudos

I'm half-way through Alexander McCall Smith's The Good Husband of Zebra Drive, recent novel in the #1 Ladies Detective Agency series. I've been into this series from the first. It's quite unique, very low key. I started reading all of Smith's books and truly enjoy his sense of humor and wit. I don't have HBO so I can't say if the TV version is true to the novels.

Does anyone know?

Jacqueline Seewald

THE DROWNING POOL, Five Star 2009

THE INFERNO COLLECTION, Five Star hardcover, Wheeler large print 2008

becke_davis
0 Kudos

JacquelineSeewald wrote:

I'm half-way through Alexander McCall Smith's The Good Husband of Zebra Drive, recent novel in the #1 Ladies Detective Agency series. I've been into this series from the first. It's quite unique, very low key. I started reading all of Smith's books and truly enjoy his sense of humor and wit. I don't have HBO so I can't say if the TV version is true to the novels.

Does anyone know?

Jacqueline Seewald

THE DROWNING POOL, Five Star 2009

THE INFERNO COLLECTION, Five Star hardcover, Wheeler large print 2008

I absolutely love that series of books. Like you, I don't have HBO but I would like to see it when it comes out on DVD. (It's not out yet, is it?)
 I haven't read this book yet, but it's calling to me from the TBR pile! 

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

becke_davis, I love Patricia Cornwell. I have seen that a new one is coming out. I am not sure when but I will read it.

I have the following on reserve at my library:

Blindman's Bluff (Peter Decker and Rina Lazarus Series #18) 

I can't wait until I get to read this. I simply love her books.

She is such a good writer.

I also love her husband, Jonathan.

The Eleventh Victim 

I also have this one on reserve. It looks good. I didn't know she wrote books. From what I have read, this is her second on. Ther other one is called Objection. I will see if I can get it through inter loan.

ReadingPatti

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I've read a few of Faye Kellerman's books but I used to read everything by her husband (I'll show a few below). I just picked up a couple books by Barry Eisler, since I keep hearing about him.

Rain Storm   Rain Fall   The Last Assassin   Fault Line   Requiem for an Assassin   Killing Rain   Hard Rain   Evidence   True Detectives   When the Bough Breaks (Alex Delaware Series #1)   Blood Test (Alex Delaware Series #2)   Over the Edge (Alex Delaware Series #3)   Silent Partner (Alex Delaware Series #4)  

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

Blindman's Bluff is my next read after DreamFever.

I really like her Decker series. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Frequent Contributor
Luanne
0 Kudos

I LOVED Prime Time so much I ran out and got Face Time to keep up with the fun.  I think it may even be a better read with respect to Charlie's personal life.  It is a fun summer read all around!! 

Interesting side note -- at the B&N I go to in NYC these books are in the Romance section, not Mystery section.  I might never have found them!!!!  Thanks for the Mystery Book Club and Hank for letting us know about them.

Luanne

"... for myself I am an optimist -- it does not seem to be much use being anything else." Winston Churchill
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hank is going to be one of our featured authors in September, so you will be ahead of the game!
dhaupt
0 Kudos

I just finished Prime Time too and am going to pick up Face Time next week. It's so great Becke to be having Hank here next month.

One of my favorite authors/people ever!!! 

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Dhaupt, I too can't wait to read the next Decker. I love Faye's books. I don't know how she and her husband does it. They just keep coming up with great stories for these characters we love so much.

I need to read True Detectives by Jonathan. I have it but have not had time to get to it.

My TBR pile is growing everyday. I never seem to make a dent in it because I always find some to check out from my library and our county.

I guess that this is the fun we all have. So many books and so little time. But we know that our own books will be there for us when we need them or want to read them. To me that are like friends that you can come to at any time and enjoy a good time with them. I like reading because I never know what adventure I will go on when I start reading.

ReadingPatti

Author
RosemaryH
0 Kudos

I just read A Quiet Belief in Angels, which I  - literally - finished with a flashlight under the covers (I was on vacation and didn't want to wake my husband!) RJ Ellory is a terrific storyteller. He's English and has had a number of books published in the UK, Europe and elsewhere, but this is his first to be published in the US. Loved it.

Next up is The Onion Field by Jopseph Wambaugh. I must have read it years ago but I was in a bookstore recently and picked it up. The first line is "The gardener was a thief." I guess you could say it called to me.

BTW Hank Ryan will also be one of the featurerd speakers at this year's New England Crimebake. www.crimebake.org

Cheers,

rosemary

Learn more about Pushing Up Daisies.
Author
Hank_Phillippi_Ryan
0 Kudos

Well--isn't this the loveliest surprise! I pop in to see what all my favorite people at B&N are chatting about--and I see my name and my book titles! I almost burst into tears of delight.

Thank you so much for the wonderful words about

Prime Time   

and

Face Time    Someone mentioned (and rats, I don't know how to page back and see--maybe the wonderful Luanne?) having a bit of trouble finding it in the bookstore. Hmm. Yes, I know the situation. I call it a mystery. Some call it romantic suspense. In bookstores, I've found it in mystery, in romance,  in new fiction, in new paperbacks and in recommended reads.  It's kind of hilarious, and I'm not quite sure how to deal with it.

Probably nothing I can do except cross my fingers. And next month we can talk about where we all think it should be shelved!  Love to hear your opinions.

And thank you for your bookstore perseverance!

Oh, breaking news. Wait 'til you see the cover of the upcoming RT BookReviews Magazine. I'm so excited! (Other magazine news coming soon, too!)

(Rosemary, I love the vision of you under the covers reading!)

I'm reading a wonderful book now--taking a tiny irresistible break from secret contest judging...to read Brad Parks' upcoming Faces of the Gone. You heard it here first (as usual!) It's witty and clever and really authentically terrific.

(Debbie...awww.Thank you. xoxo)

Three days til AIR TIME!  (Forgive me, but I'm so excited. Sue Grafton blurb on the cover...)

Air Time 

talk to you soon and xo to all

Hank

http://www.HankPhillippiRyan.com

Hank
watch for THE OTHER WOMAN coming in 2012
becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hank - I'm reading Face Time and Air Time this weekend. (As I told Jeanne Adams, I save the books of featured authors until shortly before they visit so the books are fresh in my mind.)

Rosemary - thanks for recommending those books. My TBR pile will never go down at this rate! 

Message Edited by becke_davis on 08-22-2009 06:24 PM
Author
Hank_Phillippi_Ryan
0 Kudos

Oh, Becke, thank you.

And who'd want a TBR pile to get smaller? Mine is dangerously teetering, I must admit.  I ried to encroach on my husband's nightstand, and swipe some of his space, but he wasn't going to put up with that.

He's reading the new Stephen Carter now (Becke, what's the title again?), having just finished (and enjoyed) John Lescroart's Plague of Secrets.  (John Lescroart NEVER disappoints. I have been a huge fan of his for years.  I heard him speak recently, and he was genuine and charming, intelligent and wonderful.)

Hank
watch for THE OTHER WOMAN coming in 2012
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Meet the WritersImage of Stephen L. Carter
Stephen L. Carter
Biography 
Stephen L. Carter has helped shape the national debate on issues ranging from the role of religion in American political culture to the impact of integrity and civility on our daily lives. The New York Times has called him one of the nation's leading public intellectuals.

Born in Washington, D.C., Stephen L. Carter studied law at Yale University and went on to serve as a law clerk, first on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia, and later for Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall.

In 1982 he joined the faculty at Yale, where he is now William Nelson Cromwell Professor of Law. His critically acclaimed nonfiction books on subjects including affirmative action, the judicial confirmation process, and the place of religion in our legal and political cultures have earned Carter fans among luminaries as diverse as William F. Buckley, Anna Quindlen, and former President Bill Clinton.

Carter's first novel, The Emperor of Ocean Park, draws heavily on the author's familiarity with the law and the world of highly placed judges, but he didn't begin by attempting to write a "judicial" thriller -- Carter earlier tried the character of Judge Garland out as a White House aide, and also as a professor like himself. He has said that in the end "only the judicial role really fit."

With Emperor Carter has moved (for the moment) from writing nonfiction to fiction -- a shift which he downplays by noting "I have always viewed writing as a craft." But, while he has also indicated that another novel like this one is in the works, he sees himself as "principally a legal scholar and law professor" and plans to continue publishing nonfiction as well.