Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

Hi Everyone - AnneB here - I finished Body Movers, by Stephanie Bond...I really liked it and can't wait to read more. I've just started The Silver Pigs by Lindsey Davis - I love historical fiction, and a mystery thrown in is a bonus. I think Becke recommended it this summer, so it's been working it's way to the top of my TBR pile since then.......

Anne

becke_davis

I'll admit it -- I'm like a little kid. I want the pretty book covers! Oh well, hopefully the Phantom of the Book Club will stop messing with Add Product soon. Happy Halloween, all!

dhaupt

Vermontcozy wrote:

Debbie..I am a big fan of Scarpetta,mostly earlier since I haven't read her in about 2 years.If Add Product worked I could show you some of Linda Fairsteins Books,which I am sure you are familiar with..Corwell and Fairstein are very close friends as well.Edgy,police dramas,mysteries..She  was a Sex Crimes prosecutor in NY,lives PT on Marthas Vineyard....Enjoy.. Boo,Vtc

Hi VTC, I LOVE Linda Fairstein, she's one of my all time favs.

Inspired Contributor
jbnie
0 Kudos

Hi I'm new to the mystery book club but not to BN book clubs. I'm reading  The Whiskey Rebels by David Liss, A historical fiction with a mystery set in post revolutionary American, specifically Philadelphia and Pittsburg in the late 1700's. A really good read, I'm looking forward to discussing this months books.

Jane:smileyhappy:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi and welcome to the Mystery Book Club! I've heard great things about The Whiskey Rebels but haven't read it yet. My problem is, I want to read EVERYTHING and there aren't enough hours in the day. 

Let me know if you need help navigating the site. I'm so glad you joined us!

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Well Add Product is still broke

But after watching the BBC/PBS Mystery DVD set of Wallander.

I picked up the first book in the series, going to start it tonight.

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Debbie, Patti here. I just got Kindred in Death from my library. I just started it and it looks really good. I love Eve and Roarke. They are great characters and love their relationship. You can tell that they really love each other.

I am enjoying rereading Post Mortem by Cornwell and I have started the new one The Scarpetta Factor.

ReadingPatti

dhaupt

Hi Patti, I'm looking forward to reading the new Eve and Roarke book too.

I just finished Dacre Stokers Dracula the Un Dead, he is the great grandnephew of Bram Stoker it's a sequel to the original novel and really good for those who love horror mysteries.

Here's my review on B&N:

http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/review.aspx?reviewid=1240359

And I'm just starting Nora Roberts Bed of Roses for the November Romance read

Frequent Contributor
tree_lover
0 Kudos

I am currently reading The girl of his dreams by Donna Leon.

liz

http://nygirltrustnoone.blogspot.com/
Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

dhaupt, I have just started the Kindred in Death and loving it already. I have ordered the two you tlaked about. I want to see what the author did with the Dracula book and I also have the Bed of Roses coming in the mail.

Just so many good books to read and not enough time.

Reading Patti

1AnneB
0 Kudos

Hi Debbie - AnneB here - I'm reading in the reverse order from you. I just finished Bed of Roses and today I'm beginning Kindred in Death....I need my Eve & Roarke fix !!! I  liked Bed of Roses (I posted my thoughts on Romantic Reads) - I'll let you all know how I like Kindred....Happy Reading

Anne

dhaupt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi Patti and Anne,

Ooh can't ever get enough of Eve and Roarke, wonder if she'll ever dump him and if he'd be in the market for a slightly older woman. ;-) I am enjoying Bed of Roses and will finish it over the weekend and be ready to talk about it on the romance club.

Anne I noticed you started Stephanie Bond's Body Movers series, I really like that one too.

Patti, I hope you enjoy Dracula as much as I did.

Have a great weekend everyone and B&N for heaven's sake fix Add Product. PLEASE!

1AnneB
0 Kudos

Hi Debbie - Yes, I started the Body Movers series, I really liked the first one and the second one is in my TBR pile. I started Kindred in Death this morning while I was on the elliptical machine at the gym - I usually do 20 minutes, but I was so into the book that by the time I looked at the clock I'd been on for 35 minutes - does that give you an idea of how much I'm into the book ? I also have started the Falco series by Lindsey Davis, that was recommended here at BN boards. I really like historical fiction and mysteries, so this series seems right up my alley. I loved the first book and as usual, the second book is in my TBR pile. Let me know how you like Kindred...

Anne

Author
VictoriaJanssen
0 Kudos

Ooh, The Whiskey Rebels sounds interesting.

MOONLIGHT MISTRESS, December 2009 from Harlequin Spice
THE DUCHESS, HER MAID, THE GROOM AND THEIR LOVER, Harlequin Spice.
www.victoriajanssen.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Here's info about it, and a link:

The Whiskey Rebels by David Liss: Book Cover

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Whiskey-Rebels/David-Liss/e/9780812974539/?itm=1&USRI=whiskey+r...

Synopsis

America, 1787. Ethan Saunders, once among General Washington’s most valued spies, is living in disgrace after an accusation of treason cost him his reputation. But an opportunity for redemption comes calling when Saunders’s old enemy, Alexander Hamilton, draws him into a struggle with bitter rival Thomas Jefferson over the creation of the Bank of the United States.

Meanwhile, on the western Pennsylvania frontier, Joan Maycott and her husband, a Revolutionary War veteran, hope for a better life and a chance for prosperity. But the Maycotts’ success on an isolated frontier attracts the brutal attention of men who threaten to destroy them. 

As their causes intertwine, Joan and Saunders–both patriots in their own way–find themselves on opposing sides of a plot that could tear apart a fragile new nation.

Publishers Weekly

Set in and around Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and New York City in the years after the Revolutionary War, this clever thriller from Liss (The Ethical Assassin) follows the adventures of Ethan Saunders, once a valiant spy for General Washington, who's fallen on hard times by war's end. Suspected of treason, Ethan has lost the love of his life, Cynthia, who's married the fiendish Jacob Pearson, an entrepreneur who managed to prosper during the British occupation of Philadelphia. At Cynthia's urging, Ethan agrees to go looking for the missing Jacob, prompted in large part by a desire to redeem his reputation. Meanwhile, the so-called whiskey rebels on the western frontier are trying to bring down the hated Alexander Hamilton and his Bank of the United States. The courageous Ethan is a likable rogue, and even though Ethan spends too much time delving into the complications of 18th-century finance, he can be counted on when the chips are down and the odds against him soar. (Oct.)

Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

New User
Ash_photographer_Car
0 Kudos

Im reading Who killed my daughter by Lois Duncan

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ash_photographer_Car wrote:

Im reading Who killed my daughter by Lois Duncan

I'm all too familiar with that book. Lois and my aunt were good friends when I was growing up and she was a huge influence on my writing career, whether she knows it or not. I still treasure my autographed copy of her book, SEASON OF THE TWO-HEART (long out of print), which I got for my 12th birthday. My cousin is a character in the book!

I knew her older kids but not the daughter who was  murdered. It's such a sad, horrific story. I can't imagine any parent going through that.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

Debbie..I am a big fan of Scarpetta,mostly earlier since I haven't read her in about 2 years.If Add Product worked I could show you some of Linda Fairsteins Books,which I am sure you are familiar with..Corwell and Fairstein are very close friends as well.Edgy,police dramas,mysteries..She  was a Sex Crimes prosecutor in NY,lives PT on Marthas Vineyard....Enjoy.. Boo,Vtc

Hi VTC, I LOVE Linda Fairstein, she's one of my all time favs.

They both really get it right..Have you or are you planniNg to read the Nancy Grace Crime NoveL? Thank you for attending the Hot Toddy partY LAST  WEEK that pen21 and I put together,you looked very cute in your costume as A Crayolya Crayon...Periwinkle?  Always ck Maintenance Old for Plans..if you wish   VTC..

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
1AnneB
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone - AnneB here - I just finished Kindred in Death - I have to say, it was the best that she has written in a while. Interesting, suspenseful, yet very human. It is really interesting to see the evolution of Eve's relationships with the other recurring characters. If anything, her relationship with Roarke is getting deeper and I think that her feelings about her career are getting even more defined. The last couple of books have left me wanting more, but this one restores my faith in the series. I haven't decided what to read next, I think I pick a historical - maybe the Tessa Dare - Goddess of the Hunt - it's the first one of her's that I've read. I'm looking forward to it.....

Anne

dhaupt
0 Kudos

1AnneB wrote:

Hi Everyone - AnneB here - I just finished Kindred in Death - I have to say, it was the best that she has written in a while. Interesting, suspenseful, yet very human. It is really interesting to see the evolution of Eve's relationships with the other recurring characters. If anything, her relationship with Roarke is getting deeper and I think that her feelings about her career are getting even more defined. The last couple of books have left me wanting more, but this one restores my faith in the series. I haven't decided what to read next, I think I pick a historical - maybe the Tessa Dare - Goddess of the Hunt - it's the first one of her's that I've read. I'm looking forward to it.....

Anne

Green with envy here Anne, my copy should be here today.