becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

Winging It 

Well, I'm a hardcore fan so this sounds fascinating to me!

I'm juggling three books right now:

The Poacher's Son

Author
RosemaryH
0 Kudos

I've been under the weather and without power since Saturday so glad to be among the vertical and the connected. I haven't moved much in the past week but there was an old copy of Unsuitable Job for a Woman in my living room and I started reading that again. What a joy! I love that she didn't feel the need to have tons of action in the beginning - the way writers nowadays are advised to have their body drop fast and keep up a nonstop pace. Every time i read a book like this it's like taking a writing class!

Rosemary

rosemary

Learn more about Pushing Up Daisies.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Rosemary - you must have caught the brunt of that terrible storm -- how awful!! Did you have a lot of damage?

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Well, I'm a hardcore fan so this sounds fascinating to me!

Yes, I know it might be a while before you get to it, but I will be looking forward to your comments, too!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Author
RosemaryH
0 Kudos

Lost one giant rhody and  many pine branches but the 90 ft pine is still standing.

rosemary

Author
RosemaryH
0 Kudos

I've got a quesion for all you mystery mavens - do you watch book trailers and are there any that really stood out? I did one for Pushing Up Daisies (I think it ran on bn.com) because I thought I had a fun idea and a good animator. Didn't do one for Birt Dirt Nap because I didn't have a concept and didn't want to just do walking feet with voiceover or text on screen.

Considering one for Dead Head but is anyone really watching these things?

Cheers,

rosemary

dhaupt
0 Kudos

RosemaryH wrote:

I've got a quesion for all you mystery mavens - do you watch book trailers and are there any that really stood out? I did one for Pushing Up Daisies (I think it ran on bn.com) because I thought I had a fun idea and a good animator. Didn't do one for Birt Dirt Nap because I didn't have a concept and didn't want to just do walking feet with voiceover or text on screen.

Cheers,

Hi Rosemary,

I do watch them, but they don't influence whether or not I buy the book, more than not my friends here convince me what new authors to try. But they are fun to watch

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Haunted Ground  

The Beach House    Starting one this weekend.not sure which one..Thank you pen21,dhaupt and Becke for encouraging me to read "Erin Hart"..from the first few pages,it seems like a series I am going to become attached to....Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

Haunted Ground  

The Beach House    Starting one this weekend.not sure which one..Thank you pen21,dhaupt and Becke for encouraging me to read "Erin Hart"..from the first few pages,it seems like a series I am going to become attached to....Susan

glad we could help my friend

becke_davis
0 Kudos

RosemaryH wrote:

Cheers,

Rosemary, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your giant rhody but I'm glad your big pine is okay. Maybe the rhody can be fodder for a future plot - a skeleton in the roots? At least that way it wouldn't be a total loss.

I thought your trailer for Pushing Up Daisies was clever and really cute. It's a favorite of mine. I love book trailers and post them here whenever I find them. Back in the day I could only post links to YouTube but now I can post the actual video clips.

I know trailers are expensive and a lot of work for authors. I don't know how much they help sell a book, but it's a great way to promote them!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Susan, be sure to come back and tell us what you thought of those two books once you've finished reading them.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

The Language of Sand  i am starting my own Post,because I get all squished..Thank you all Kppp,LGADDGA,BLINGBecke..I am looking forward to Erin  Hart..I think "Haunted Ground will be hard to put down..I just posted a short review of"The Language of Sand"not released yet..I was very surprised.and want more..Fortunately there will be #2'''You would think it would be a depressing read,but it really was quite uplifting..NC, near Nags Head..Island people,new resident,coming to heal and just be..Well written...My Short review is on TPS..Community Thread  to maxcat  Vtc Susan

becke_davis
0 Kudos

It sounds like an interesting book! I just started next week's feature:

31 Bond Street

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

It sounds like an interesting book! I just started next week's feature:

31 Bond Street

Becke I can't keep up with you.But Jonathan Kellerman..for Sure socialreader needs the info The date he is with us...I will check and post to her....Great potential..The language of Sand

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

RosemaryH wrote:

Cheers,

Yes I do. In fact the only books in the past couple of years I preordered were because of them.

And the one for

The Looking Glass Wars (Looking Glass Wars #1)  the series. Had me bringing up the books in conversation for months before book 1 hit shelves.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Well after being given 4, 6, and 8 by a friend. An hunting down 2,3,5,7, and 9.

I finally got a hold of book 1

Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen Series #1)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

The Second Opinion 

Lots of good books!

VermontCozy asked about Jonathan Kellerman - he'll be visiting the second half of April. Michael Palmer will be with us the first half of the month.

And Ellen Horan is visiting next week. She's a debut author, so let's give her a big welcome!

The Last Surgeon

Frequent Contributor
ilovebooksOH
0 Kudos

I just finished reading the lighing thief percy jackson and the olympians by rick riordon this is a great book to read for all ages i loved it i cont wait to read book 2 but for now im reading book indelible by karin slaughter im just a little ify a but it my cuz & mom said its a good book but i just dont know if i like yet i hope it gets butter

New User
pacluvr04
0 Kudos

Hello my name is Katie and I'm always searching through the book clubs looking for new ideas and have found a few and thought I'd actually try posting on here. I am reading "Finger Lickin' Fifteen" by Janet Evanovich. I absolutely adore this series. about a year ago I came across it and thought nah that doesn't look very intresting, well one of my managers at work was reading it and always laughing and telling me about how good it was so I gave it a try and I am so happy I did.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi Kate - thanks for joining us! I just got a new book that I hear is hilarious - haven't started it yet:

Our Lady of Immaculate Deception