Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

becke_davis, I must check out C.J. books. They look good. I love finding new mysteries to read.

I am so jealous that you get ARC books to read.LOL :smileysurprised: :smileyvery-happy: I am sure that you get some good books to read. How do you get so many? Any secrets for the rest of us out here.

I will be anxious to see what our next first look book will be. I have loved the ones I have got to read.

ReadingPatti

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Deception (Alex Delaware Series #25) 

I'm reading Jonathan Kellerman's latest in preparation for his visit next week.

Evidence (Alex Delaware Series #24)

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

I saw the paperback edition ofThe Physick Book of Deliverance Dane. It was very nice.

Such a good book. I am glad it is doing so well. pen21

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane

dhaupt
0 Kudos

pen21 wrote:

I saw the paperback edition ofThe Physick Book of Deliverance Dane. It was very nice.

Such a good book. I am glad it is doing so well. pen21

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane

Ditto Luanne, it was one of my favorites

Right now I'm reading:

The Mage in Black (Sabina Kane Series #2) 

for the paranormal club

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

pen21, I read this book for First Look club. It is really good. I am glad to see it doing so well. I recommend it to my friends.

ReadingPatti

Inspired Correspondent
Bonnie824
0 Kudos

Haunted Ground  

A mystery set in Ireland with interesting characters and setting. It's the first in a series highly recommended and I'm glad I got it. It tends to be a little wordy and a lot of information, but mostly intriguing information at least.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Erin has a LOT of fans here!

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

I am also Reading "Haunted Ground" because of my attachment to Linda Fairsteins books,this is a perfect new Author for me..Highly recommended by pen21 and dhaupt.I love the mystery,the setting.Glad you are liking it as well ,intend to read her next 2 .Maybe she will visit us here on Mystery..Vtc Susan
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
dhaupt
0 Kudos

I started a book last night that I don't know if I can finish the description on the cover is

"A Novel of Erotic Suspense" if I'd have seen that first I wouldn't have gotten it.

I love a good romance and am a big fan of steamy, hot, sexy, sizzling love scenes, but this is over the top and I don't like it.

The reason I picked it up was because I've read other books by this author and yes she sizzles in those books, but not like this.

Tonight I'm hoping that:

Pride Mates 

arrives

I'm reading it for the romance club this month

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Debbie - I'm curious to know who wrote the one you can't finish. Send me a PM or email about it, if you feel like it.

I like some authors of erotic romance and suspense - Beth Kery comes to mind - but it's a matter of expectations, in part. 

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

I finished the ARC of Mary Kennedy's upcoming release, REEL MURDER, and now I'm reading Rosemary Harris' DEAD HEAD. Great to read more books from authors we've come to know here at B&N's Mystery!!

Dead Head (Dirty Business Series #3)

Reel Murder

It's so strange to see the image from "Dead Head" in normal-size!  :smileywink:

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

I started a book last night that I don't know if I can finish the description on the cover is

"A Novel of Erotic Suspense" if I'd have seen that first I wouldn't have gotten it.

I love a good romance and am a big fan of steamy, hot, sexy, sizzling love scenes, but this is over the top and I don't like it.

The reason I picked it up was because I've read other books by this author and yes she sizzles in those books, but not like this.

Tonight I'm hoping that:

Pride Mates 

arrives

I'm reading it for the romance club this month

I'm with you, Deb.  I had a hard time reading 

The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty (Sleeping Beauty Series #1)   for similar reasons.  Anne Rice certainly knows how to write, and with such grace and beauty, but the content was too much for my sheltered self to suffer.

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

becke_davis, I am glad to see that Jonathan Kellerman will be with us. I love his books. I have the newest one to start and I need to read Evidence.

I am working on Gaudy Night. It going slowly. I hope I finish it in time for book club on the 27th. I am almost done with The Intrigue at Highbury by Carrie Bebris. It is good. I love her Mr. and Mrs. Darcy mysteries. I hope they don't end when she runs out of Jane Austen books. I have to check her web site.

I have paired down my library books and taking some back. I can check them out later. I want to read some of my own. I have so many that I want to read, including The Scarpetta Factor and Fantasy In Death.

So that is where I am headed for now. I am going to check out only those I really want to read by my favorite authors.

Talk to you soon.

ReadingPatti

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Busman's Honeymoon (A Lord Peter Wimsey Mystery) 

Patti - I read FANTASY IN DEATH; it was really good. GAUDY NIGHT is a favorite of mine. I hadn't read Busman's Honeymoon - still haven't, but I've got it in my TBR pile. Don't know how I missed it before. I wasn't completely hooked on Sayers' other mysteries but I love this anthology of her short stories:

Dorothy L. Sayers 

I just finished a book by one of my favorite authors - it's not a mystery, although it has some mysterious/magical things in it:

The Girl Who Chased the Moon

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Patti - Jonathan Kellerman is here right now (well, this week and next) - stop in and say hi! I feel bad when hardly anyone talks to the authors. :-(

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

becke_davis, If I know that an author I read is on the site, I try to talk to them. Since I am from a small town we don't get much of a chance to our favorite authors.

This site give us from small town the chance to talk to our favorite authors. I just love that. I need to watch more closely which authors are coming and talk to those I read.

Making progress on Gaudy Night and The Intrigue at Highbury.

Talk to you soon.

ReadingPatti

becke_davis
0 Kudos

The thing that always impresses me is how even the super famous authors are so friendly and relaxed when they visit with us, not pretentious or arrogant at all. They are very generous with their time and really open when it comes to talking about their work. 

New User
CH73
0 Kudos

I found out about a contest here from becke martin's website.

I'm currently reading A book by Mari Carr called Retreat. So far I'm loving it!

Contributor
MsSinthe
0 Kudos

Tess Gerritsen's The Keepsake.  One unique feature of this novel is the use of the mummification process, centuries old, by the present-day "Archaeology Killer."  Gerristen's background in medicine obviously lends to her ability to come up with such an idea, but she also writes a good mystery, a "page turner" and a fast read for me.

Contributor
MsSinthe
0 Kudos

Becke, was Kellerman's reception warm?  I'm responding to you post about "no one talking to the authors."  I feel bad, too; I can (and don't want to) imagine how that would feel.  I tried chatting yesterday (Friday), but kicked out several times when I tried to preview my post.  Yikes, I'm strill trying to figure out how to navigate in B&N community.  I THINK I introduced myself, tried twice, but don't know.  Bear with me, okay.  Is Jonathan at B&N now?