Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis

Re: Sorry about the site problems - the Computer Gnome Brigade is at it again

I think I need a new potion: Anti Computer Gnome Potion. What do you think?

AntiGnome.gif Anti-Gnome image by DarethDarkaxe

Author
cathleenross
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

I love Karen Robard's work. Thanks for suggesting another of her books.

Best

Cathleen Ross

Dirty Sexy Murder

Contributor
WstTxBluebonnet
0 Kudos

I finished Tess Gerritesen's Ice Cold...it was good.  I won't give anything away but it was a little different.  If you like the Rizzoli/ Isles books, you'll like this one! 

Contributor
WstTxBluebonnet
0 Kudos

I've started Alex Kava's Maggie O'Dell series.  They're not a bad read either except that I do get tired of the dysfunction of the character.  Maybe at some point, Kava will use that in a creative way....I'm waiting.  I am only on book 3- At the Stroke of Madness.  Still, I do enjoy the read...

Contributor
WstTxBluebonnet
0 Kudos

Charlie, I LOVED Pillars of the Earth!  Try Louis L'Amour Walking Drum....it's a good one too in that same genre! (not a western)

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Right now I'm re-reading 

Drawing in the Dust for the August read at the fiction book club

even better the second time around

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

WstTxBluebonnet wrote:

I finished Tess Gerritesen's Ice Cold...it was good.  I won't give anything away but it was a little different.  If you like the Rizzoli/ Isles books, you'll like this one! 

Hi,  WstTxBluebonnet If you saw 'Rizzoli and Isles.,last night...Some chat  about  it and pen posted a Lovely Pic,....Susan Vtc               ArtsandEntertainmentBoard...

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Dismantled    VT Cozy 
dhaupt wrote:

Right now I'm re-reading 

Drawing in the Dust for the August read at the fiction book club

even better the second time around

Getting Ready for August Fiction Club with" Drawing in The Dust" with Debbie as our moderator also finishing  Dismantled,above Susan...Excellent...

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

I have been enjoying reading the Mrs. Jeffries series, only I started with the one about the Feast of St. Stephen, so when I saw this book, that has the first three books in the series, I bought it.
I'm about 3/4 through the first book now.
I'm also reading A Novena for Murder, by Sister Carol Anne O'Marie. I've read all the Sister Mary Helen books, but I forgot to write down the quote in one of them, where MH says that the reading of mystery books is for the noble mind, or words to that effect. Now I'm having to re-read the books until I find the one that has that statement. Are any of you familiar with the O'Marie books or know which one of her books that came from?
" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

The Search 

I started this awhile ago and it got buried by other books. I'm about 1/3 through it and I'm liking the hero a lot!

Contributor
dq531
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone and Happy Friday!!!

I recently went to the library (haven't been there since I got my Nook) looking for the 5th & 6th Stephanie Plum series books. A friend of mine gave me all of her books but a few are missing.

I am hooked on the Stephanie Plum books and since they didn't have the two at the library I'm just going to buy them for my Nook.

I wound up taking out 3 books. So now I'm carrying my Nook and hard cover books with me!!!

One of the book I am reading is Skein of the Crime (A Knitting Mystery) by Maggie Sefton which I'm enjoying.  Should be finished it by Sunday. Before this book I read Mystery Has No Class (the Bellehaven House Series) by Rebecca Kent.

I am also 2/3 into The Girl That Played With Fire which is on my Nook.

I'm going to be having knee surgery next Friday so I'm going to be able to do alot of reading.

Have a good weekend everyone!!

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3

Bonnie_C wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

Over the weekend I finishe

The Other Boleyn Girl 

It's a shame that now in the Autumn of my life is when I love history, when I can't remember where I put my keys or what I had for breakfast is when I want to devour knowledge, but that's exactly what this book did for me I wanted to know the story behind the story.

Hi Debbie,

In regards to "The Other Boleyn Girl, I messed up and saw the movie, so I have not read the book.  However, I did read

The White Queen .

I found the history fascinating.  Philippa Gregory does do her research.  After I read this, I did have to wonder who in their right mind would want to be royalty in this time period? 

Bonnie

Those can be fun, but please just take the historical aspect with a grain of salt - after all, it is historical fiction!!! :smileywink:

If you do want to know 'the story behind the story', I would recommend

Mistress Anne for Anne Boleyn, and

The Wars of the Roses  for the age leading up to and including the very interesting Elizabeth Woodville.  Erickson and Weir both make history very readable.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Free set of classic books for the nook - limited time

My son sent me this link for an offer that B&N has for ebooks.

Check out the link. Not sure how long these are available.

Luanne

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ebooks/category.asp?PID=34519

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Free set of classic books for the nook - limited time

pen21 wrote:

My son sent me this link for an offer that B&N has for ebooks.

Check out the link. Not sure how long these are available.

Luanne

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/ebooks/category.asp?PID=34519

Thanks so much, Luanne!

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

Bonnie_C wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

Over the weekend I finishe

The Other Boleyn Girl 

It's a shame that now in the Autumn of my life is when I love history, when I can't remember where I put my keys or what I had for breakfast is when I want to devour knowledge, but that's exactly what this book did for me I wanted to know the story behind the story.

Hi Debbie,

In regards to "The Other Boleyn Girl, I messed up and saw the movie, so I have not read the book.  However, I did read

The White Queen .

I found the history fascinating.  Philippa Gregory does do her research.  After I read this, I did have to wonder who in their right mind would want to be royalty in this time period? 

Bonnie

Those can be fun, but please just take the historical aspect with a grain of salt - after all, it is historical fiction!!! :smileywink:

If you do want to know 'the story behind the story', I would recommend

Mistress Anne for Anne Boleyn, and

The Wars of the Roses  for the age leading up to and including the very interesting Elizabeth Woodville.  Erickson and Weir both make history very readable.

I so love Weir.  I've not read Erickson; I'll have to check that one out.

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

The Search 

I started this awhile ago and it got buried by other books. I'm about 1/3 through it and I'm liking the hero a lot!

Yeah what's not to like the moody artist with an unruly and adorable puppy

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

The Search 

Yeah what's not to like the moody artist with an unruly and adorable puppy

So true!!!
Frequent Contributor
ilovebooksOH
0 Kudos

im reading percy jackson the olympians the sea monsters by rick riordan i love this books he all so has out other books out and 1 coming out in oct.