Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

Wordsmith
darkangel_1988
0 Kudos

No One Lives Twice

Happy Reading :smileywink:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Frequent Contributor
READERJANE
0 Kudos

Hi Becke, are you leading a discussion on Saving Max ? Its listed on the fiction board, but the reply feature on the post is not working ? The book sounds good, so I hope you are

jane :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
READERJANE
0 Kudos

Wolf Hall

Wolf Hall

Frequent Contributor
READERJANE
0 Kudos

I loved this book in the series. You are right that they tend to build on each other but all of them are worth reading ! I just finish her last one, Bury Your Dead , and can't wait for her next one . Enjoy them

becke_davis
0 Kudos

READERJANE wrote:

Hi Becke, are you leading a discussion on Saving Max ? Its listed on the fiction board, but the reply feature on the post is not working ? The book sounds good, so I hope you are

jane :smileyhappy:

Hi Jane - Debbie Haupt is leading that discussion over on the Fiction board. Here's the link:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Fiction-General-Discussion/Saving-Max-Week-1-Discussion/m-p/8...

becke_davis
0 Kudos

READERJANE wrote:

Wolf Hall

Wolf Hall

OOh - the title is intriguing! I'll check this out!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Bury Your Dead (Armand Gamache Series #6) 
READERJANE wrote:

I loved this book in the series. You are right that they tend to build on each other but all of them are worth reading ! I just finish her last one, Bury Your Dead , and can't wait for her next one . Enjoy them

I LOVED this book! It left us with a question unanswered, but ultimately I guess it didn't matter. Maybe that's what she was trying to tell us. Or maybe that storyline will continue in the next book - I can hardly wait to find out!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Wordsmith
darkangel_1988
0 Kudos

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Still Life by Louise Penny
I just finished reading this book and enjoyed it very much. Becke and ReaderJane, I get the impression that the Arnot Case is to Penny's Armand Ganache books as the Penge Bungalow case was for John Mortimer's Rumpole-- a case that gets mentioned often, but is not the actual subject of an entire book. I started with A Fatal Grace, and am now just in the first chapter of The Cruelest Month. I am so happy to have found this writer and her wonderful series.
" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Fricka:
I just finished STILL LIFE last night and today I am starting A FATAL GRACE! I am enjoying her books too!

Fricka wrote:
I just finished reading this book and enjoyed it very much. Becke and ReaderJane, I get the impression that the Arnot Case is to Penny's Armand Ganache books as the Penge Bungalow case was for John Mortimer's Rumpole-- a case that gets mentioned often, but is not the actual subject of an entire book. I started with A Fatal Grace, and am now just in the first chapter of The Cruelest Month. I am so happy to have found this writer and her wonderful series.

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

YES! But did you see John Mortimer did eventually write about the Penge Bungalow Murder case? My husband lived in Penge for awhile when he was a little kid, so I had to snap that book up as soon as it came out!

Rumpole and the Penge Bungalow Murders 

I really love the way Louise Penny writes. THE CRUELEST MONTH was the first I read in the series, and may be my favorite. Hard to say, since they are all wonderful books.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

If it wasn't for you two wonderful people I would have done this willy nilly.  I think it's been really good to read them in order.

I think by reading them in order, you really get a sense of how her writing evolved.

More than her writing, even, the changing British culture over the turn of the century. My mom and I were just discussing yesterday, the cultural developments in English society post-Boer War and WWI, as portrayed in TV series like

Upstairs Downstairs: Series 1   and most recently, 

Downton Abbey . Look at the most enduring characters: Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple. They are Victorians living through the evolution of the Edwardian era: women getting the vote, the class system disintegration, industrialization. This is part of the appeal and strength of Agatha Christie's body of work and one reason why it stands the test of time.

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

The Johnstown Flood

I love David McCullough! This looks really fascinating!

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

READERJANE wrote:

Wolf Hall

Wolf Hall

OOh - the title is intriguing! I'll check this out!

I have tried to read this one once, but just couldn't get going into it. I opted for something light and frivolous, which this is not. I am an avid fan of the Tudor novel, but I will have to try again.

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Fricka wrote:

YES! But did you see John Mortimer did eventually write about the Penge Bungalow Murder case? My husband lived in Penge for awhile when he was a little kid, so I had to snap that book up as soon as it came out!

I really love the way Louise Penny writes. THE CRUELEST MONTH was the first I read in the series, and may be my favorite. Hard to say, since they are all wonderful books.

YES! I did see that, Becke, and have actually read The Penge Bungalow Murders. I was sort of afraid that it would be a let-down, after all the bragging Rumpole has done about it  over the years, but really enjoyed reading it. As for Louise Penny, I seem to be reading her Armand Gamache series all out of synch, so I think when I get done reading all of the books in the series, I plan to go back and re-read them all in order. Have to confess, I've actually consulted a travel atlas to try to scope out the location of Three Pines.(Yes, I know it's fictional, but I suspect that Penny has based it on an actual location(or maybe a combination of several villages). If I were in one of the states bordering Canada, I'd be planning a visit to Quebec, just to drive around and see if I could find Brigadoon--I mean, Three Pines!:smileywink:

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Fricka wrote:

YES! I did see that, Becke, and have actually read The Penge Bungalow Murders. I was sort of afraid that it would be a let-down, after all the bragging Rumpole has done about it  over the years, but really enjoyed reading it. As for Louise Penny, I seem to be reading her Armand Gamache series all out of synch, so I think when I get done reading all of the books in the series, I plan to go back and re-read them all in order. Have to confess, I've actually consulted a travel atlas to try to scope out the location of Three Pines.(Yes, I know it's fictional, but I suspect that Penny has based it on an actual location(or maybe a combination of several villages). If I were in one of the states bordering Canada, I'd be planning a visit to Quebec, just to drive around and see if I could find Brigadoon--I mean, Three Pines!:smileywink:

I know what you mean! My parents and my brother have gone to Montreal a lot, but I visited Canada for the first time two years ago. All I've been to is Calgary, Banff and the Icefields. After reading Louise Penny's books, I've been researching the history of Quebec (especially after reading the last couple books). My family is descended from Huguenots, and her last book inspired me to go back and delve into our genealogy some more. Fun! I read the books out of order, too, but I'm okay with that. 

Three Pines does seem a little like Brigadoon, doesn't it?