becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

LindaEducation wrote:
I saw the Elizabeth George posts and was interested in reading her books. I ordered one of her books (used) and received it in yesterday's mail. It is "With No One As Witness".

That's a good one.  For those of you who are new to this author, you might want to read her books in chronological order.  It doesn't make a big difference -- each book stands alone -- but it helps to know the history of the very complex characters.  There are two exceptions:  I would NOT read the two books we featured last month until you've read some of the earlier ones.  And with those two books, Careless in Red DEFINITELY should be read first.
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

This was my catch-up summer of reading... I read ALL of Martha Grimes' Richard Jury mysteries... something I always wanted to do, but never completed. What a feast!

I'm also catching up with Tess Gerritsen... I finished her "The Bone Garden" last week, and am now reading her latest "The Keepsake"...

Thank goodness there are so many wonderful writers to catch up with....

IBIS
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

IBIS wrote:
This was my catch-up summer of reading... I read ALL of Martha Grimes' Richard Jury mysteries... something I always wanted to do, but never completed. What a feast!

I did that once.  It was marvelous!  And I ended up even more hopelessly in love with Melrose Plant than I had been prior to rereading the entire series in sequence.  Sigh!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I should do that one of these days -- I love those books!
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I finished A Man Lay Dead (such a nice, classic house-party murder mystery!), and am now starting Marsh's second Alleyn mystery, Death in Ecstasy.

It had been so long since I read these books, I had forgotten all about Nigel Bathgate!  Actually, he almost seems to be the main character of these books, more so than Alleyn.  This second novel includes a list of characters (I like those), and he is described as Alleyn's "Watson".  I'm not sure I'd go that far.  In some ways, yes, but they do not have a close relationship like Holmes and Watson, although I suppose as the series continues, they may get closer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I love Nigel!  Read Light Thickens if you want to really feel old!
Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

I finished Ghost at Work, Carolyn Hart's new one due out next month and it was great! Today, I picked up Sandra Brown's Smoke Screen.  Still waiting for the Guernsey Literary Potato Peel Pie Society.

Kaye

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
New User
DanJohnson212
0 Kudos

My most recent mystery was James Patterson's See How They Run- enjoyed it, as I do most of Patterson's work. Also read Patterson's Sam's Letters to Jennifer (chick lit, LOL, but still enjoyable), and while it's not a mystery as such, there are still certain aspects of the story that keep you guessing.

Am taking a temporary leave from mystery to read A Bachelor Home Companion by P.J. O'Rourke. Lord knows, with all of the crap that is going on right now, I just need a laugh, but I have a pile of Patterson's Alex Cross books that I haven't read yet and a few of Patricia Cornwell's Scarpetta series that I an going to tackle next.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

You might also like the Kathy Reichs books, which are similar to Patricia Cornwell's books.  Reichs' books are the basis for the TV series, Bones.
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I finished Marsh's Death in Ecstacy last night.  I was wrong that it was second in the series; I have my paperbacks arranged in chronological order, and it was second there, but I also have three of those 'omnibus' hardbacks that have three novels each in them, and I guess the second one, Enter a Murderer, must be in one of those, and maybe also the third, The Nursing Home Murder (although I thought I had that in paperback; maybe it is out of order).  That answers why it seemed in this one that Nigel and Alleyn had worked together already on more than one case, and that Nigel and Fox already knew each other (Fox wasn't in the first one)!  Oh, well - they're all great!

Now I need to get started on Washington Irving and Shakespeare for this month's clubs, but it will be back to Marsh for November!  I'm looking forward to it!

Correspondent
LindaEducation
0 Kudos

I am a fan of James Patterson as well, and also liked "See How They Run".  I also enjoyed "London Bridges", and "5th Horseman".  There are many more of his books that I want to read.
You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend. -- Paul Sweeney
dhaupt
0 Kudos

LindaEducation wrote:
I am a fan of James Patterson as well, and also liked "See How They Run".  I also enjoyed "London Bridges", and "5th Horseman".  There are many more of his books that I want to read.
Hi Linda, I recently reviewed a book by a collaborator of Patterson, Andrew Gross, his book is called The Dark Tide it was very good. You might want to give his stand alones a try if you like Patterson. He collaborated with him on a few of his Cross novels and a couple of his stand alones as well.
Happy Reading 

Correspondent
LindaEducation
0 Kudos

Hi Debbie. Thanks for the author./.book tip.

You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend. -- Paul Sweeney
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'm reading Triple Exposure by Colleen Thompson -- it's good so far!
Contributor
Minne2
0 Kudos

William Kent Krueger's Blood Hollow, I love his references to cold Northern Minnesota as well as the native cultures.  It is a good tight story with many characters, realistic twists and one very honest leading man.  I was about half way through this book when I had to go look for more at a discount bookstore nearby. 
Frequent Contributor
dasz
0 Kudos

I just finished Stella Rimington's "Illegal Action" which was very good.  Rimington was the first female Director General of Britain's MI5 so you know she's drawing on her work experiences which is quite scarey.  this book draws on the real life assassinations of Russians living in London.  I also recently read one of Ann Granger's early novels in her Mitchell/Markby Whodunit Series, "A Word After Dying". Meredith Mitchell is a Foreign Office official who gets involved in solving mysteries with her police inspector significnat other Alan Markby.  A Word After Dying takes place in a small village in the Cotswalds where the couple is vacationing at his sister & brother in law's inherited cottage.  Good writing and likeable characters.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I've heard something about Illegal Action before, looks like I'll have to read that one.
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I just started The Secret Adventures of Charlotte Bronte, by Laura Joh Rowland.  I guess she has written a series of samurai mysteries, but I am not familiar with them.  I find these 'author' mysteries to be hit-or-miss, so we'll see which this turns out to be!  So far, it's fun.

I just found this website by the author about the book:

http://www.laurajohrowland.com/charlotte/index.html

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I read Laura Lippman's What the Dead Know while I was in Florida last month, and I loved it.  I'm currently reading her new short story collection and it is excellent.  I give it four stars, maybe more.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Hardly-Knew-Her/Laura-Lippman/e/9780061584992/?itm=3&bnit=H&bnrefer...

I just ordered the new Tess Monaghan book, too. 

dhaupt
0 Kudos

I am currently reading Michael Connelly's The Brass Verdict, I'm about half way through god what a great writer he is. I have read everything (fiction) he's written and have never been disappointed, his knowledge of Police and Legal facts and workings make the novels so real you'd think you were reading true crime.