Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

basson_mommy12 wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Dark Tide  

Wow! That is an amazing truth-is-stranger-than-fiction premise. That just sort of boggles the mind!

-- Ruth

Somebody posted about this event on Facebook. I'd never heard of it. I just finished the book - it's really interesting! I'll never think of molasses the same way again, that's for sure!

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

The House of the Seven Gables (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)  

This week I read The House of the Seven Gables. I've had it since 1970, had started twice, and never finished, and it was literally falling to pieces!  But this time I finally got through it!  I wasn't all that crazy about it, because the narrator continually goes off on long tangents, rather than moving the story forward, but the story itself was good, and did involve some mysterious aspects, such as a long-ago death and a missing deed.

Now I've started An Afternoon Walk, by Dorothy Eden (a Got Books selection).  I think I probably read some Eden back in the 70s, because I think she is considered somewhat Gothic, but I don't remember. Now (thanks to Becke!), I have three of her novels, so this is the first I am reading.  I got so caught up in it last night, that I stayed up too late and read more than halfway through!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

The House of the Seven Gables (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)  

This week I read The House of the Seven Gables. I've had it since 1970, had started twice, and never finished, and it was literally falling to pieces!  But this time I finally got through it!  I wasn't all that crazy about it, because the narrator continually goes off on long tangents, rather than moving the story forward, but the story itself was good, and did involve some mysterious aspects, such as a long-ago death and a missing deed.

Now I've started An Afternoon Walk, by Dorothy Eden (a Got Books selection).  I think I probably read some Eden back in the 70s, because I think she is considered somewhat Gothic, but I don't remember. Now (thanks to Becke!), I have three of her novels, so this is the first I am reading.  I got so caught up in it last night, that I stayed up too late and read more than halfway through!

AN AFTERNOON WALK is a favorite of mine - I hope you like it!

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I finished it last night, Becke, and I did enjoy it!  Now I've gone on to another that you sent by the same author - Whistle for the Crows.

(for some reason, all my images are being stripped out of my posts - I had pasted images of my editions of both books in my previous post, and I am also not seeing the image for the link I posted.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

I finished it last night, Becke, and I did enjoy it!  Now I've gone on to another that you sent by the same author - Whistle for the Crows.

(for some reason, all my images are being stripped out of my posts - I had pasted images of my editions of both books in my previous post, and I am also not seeing the image for the link I posted.)

I've had trouble posting images lately, too. Maybe the techs are working behind the scenes?

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Angel with Two Faces (Josephine Tey Series #2)  
dulcinea3 wrote:

I finished Whistle for the Crows, by Dorothy Eden.  That was more of a typical Gothic - in an Irish castle, with two dashing sons of the family!  Lots of dark family secrets.  Then I read Listen to Danger, also by Eden.  Not really Gothic, about a kidnapping of two children.  That one was a good puzzler; I was guessing and second-guessing myself right up to the end.

Now I'm reading Angel with Two Faces, a Josephine Tey mystery by Nicola Upson.  Josephine and her Scotland Yard friend Archie Penrose are spending a holiday in Cornwall, at Archie's family's estate.  Everybody has dark secrets in this one!  There were so many things I knew that I didn't know, that it was difficult keeping track, but things have been gradually being revealed.  Hard to tear myself away and go to bed each night!  I think I might finish tonight.  I enjoyed Nicola's visit here, and look forward to reading more of this series (this is the second in the series, and she has just released the fifth).

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Contributor
goodcupateaRR
0 Kudos

Ok need some help here... this is what kind of mystery murder I am looking for to read... or several lol

Fiction/ Involves large mansion/ a bit of a creepy side to it say a witch or ghost, maybe spiritualists, or cult / not a cozy read/ Victorian era or modern is fine too

Thanks so much for the help

A comfy chair, a good read and a hot cup a tea.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

goodcupateaRR wrote:

Ok need some help here... this is what kind of mystery murder I am looking for to read... or several lol

Fiction/ Involves large mansion/ a bit of a creepy side to it say a witch or ghost, maybe spiritualists, or cult / not a cozy read/ Victorian era or modern is fine too

Thanks so much for the help

Sounds like you might like gothics. Have you read anything by Victoria Holt?

Curse of the Kings  

On the Night of the Seventh Moon  

Lord of the Far Island  

Time of the Hunter's Moon  

Shivering Sands  

Bride of Pendorric  

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Hmmm. My post does not appear to have gone through. So, forgive me if this is a repeat.

Last Wednesday, I went to a book signing by Jenn McKinlay and bought her latest book. It's the first in a new series, set in England in a Hat Shop. Really enjoyed reading it and think it's a great start for a new series.

Cloche and Dagger (Hat Shop Mystery Series #1)   

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Hmmm. My post does not appear to have gone through. So, forgive me if this is a repeat.

Last Wednesday, I went to a book signing by Jenn McKinlay and bought her latest book. It's the first in a new series, set in England in a Hat Shop. Really enjoyed reading it and think it's a great start for a new series.

I like her books a lot!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Yarn to Go (Yarn Retreat Series #1)  

This is a fun read - I know nothing about knitting or crocheting, but luckily the main character is a novice, too. I'll be seeing Betty this week and I want to finish this before I do!

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I think I missed saying that I reread Sad Cypress by Agatha Christie.  This is one I haven't read often, so I didn't remember whodunnit.  I thought it was a good complicated puzzle, with some interesting characters.  The novel starts with the defendent in the dock, and then goes back to tell the story leading up to that, so the murder she is charged with doesn't actually take place until about halfway through, with Poirot getting involved after that.  But by starting at the trial, Christie gets away with delaying the murder because we're curious to know what led up to it.

Now I'm reading A Clash of Kings, the second book in A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones).  This will take me quite a while to get through, but I love it!  I recently bought the second season of the TV series, which is based on this book, so I want to read it before I watch it again.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Scorched (Tracers Series #6)  

Hi Becke and gang did you know that Scorched won a Rita

Yay Laura!!!

I actually dedicated a blog post to all the 2013 winners

http://thereadingfrenzy.blogspot.com/2013/07/congratulations-to-2013-rita-winners.html

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Just finished reading two new mysteries, both excellent:

Thread and Buried by Janet Bolin, and The Diva Frosts a Cupcake by Krista Davis

Thread and Buried (Threadville Mystery Series #3)  

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Hmmm. I can't get any visual copies on the posts here. Add Product takes me to the book title, but after I've added it, it disappears before the final post. Same thing with simple copy and paste.
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:
Hmmm. I can't get any visual copies on the posts here. Add Product takes me to the book title, but after I've added it, it disappears before the final post. Same thing with simple copy and paste.

I've been having the same problem, Fricka, with images not posting, either if I paste it or if it is the cover image from Add Product.  I have given up even trying!  It's been going on for a while now.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Scorched (Tracers Series #6)  

Hi Becke and gang did you know that Scorched won a Rita

Yay Laura!!!

I actually dedicated a blog post to all the 2013 winners

http://thereadingfrenzy.blogspot.com/2013/07/congratulations-to-2013-rita-winners.html

Yes, I saw that! Laura's books are REALLY good!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Oh no! We've had some problems with images recently, but Add Product has been okay for the most part. Rats! I wonder if this is a browser problem. I'm using Google Chrome - let me see if I can get them to post.