Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Babii_lien

What are you reading right now?

Hi my name is Lien ...
           I have read many good titels with missterys and all diffrent coultures and right now im reading a childeish story called Tales of DEsprax and another one is a child called it so sad so i wanted to know what you are reading???
becke_davis

Re: What are you reading right now?

I am still reading our featured book Down River with no likelihood of finishing it by tonight, but I will post the discussion questions as soon as I've finished it!
dhaupt

I just finished Tara Taylor Quinn's Behind Closed Doors, it's the second in her series about a white supremacy group the Ivory Nation and what the law enforcement agencies and whoever are doing to eradicate them. It was a very good book about a dark subject and she handled it with great expertise. In this installment the main characters Harry and Laura Kendall a biracial couple who are brutalized by the hands of these madmen. It is a real eyeopener and EVERYONE should read it. Her first in the series was in plain sight and it was equally engrossing. Quinn is usually put into the romance box but these books although they have romance in them are definitely not your normal everyday romance.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

I did finish it over the weekend. Unusual book. Will have more comments when the discussion starts.

becke_davis wrote:
I am still reading our featured book Down River with no likelihood of finishing it by tonight, but I will post the discussion questions as soon as I've finished it!

0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:
I just finished Tara Taylor Quinn's Behind Closed Doors, it's the second in her series about a white supremacy group the Ivory Nation and what the law enforcement agencies and whoever are doing to eradicate them. It was a very good book about a dark subject and she handled it with great expertise. In this installment the main characters Harry and Laura Kendall a biracial couple who are brutalized by the hands of these madmen. It is a real eyeopener and EVERYONE should read it. Her first in the series was in plain sight and it was equally engrossing. Quinn is usually put into the romance box but these books although they have romance in them are definitely not your normal everyday romance.

I've almost bought this book several times, but every time I've hesitated because if it's too gruesome or violent it's guaranteed to haunt me forever.
Contributor
readerbynight
0 Kudos

I just started Jefferson Bass' "The Devil's Bones" (ARC), unfortunately I haven't read his first book yet. I say unfortunately because although I am only about 1/6 of the way through, I am totally enjoying this book.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

I've almost bought this book several times, but every time I've hesitated because if it's too gruesome or violent it's guaranteed to haunt me forever.

It will haunt you, but I can read about violence better than seeing it on tv or movies so if reading about it haunt you don't get it. I'll give you a little hint the wife was victimized in her own bed while her husband was forced to watch. But it ends good and the book shows how the couple copes with the aftermath and how they grow from it.
Frequent Contributor
dasz
0 Kudos

I just finished Monica Ferris' "Knitting Bones" and was disappointed. This is the series featuring Betsy Davenport who inherited the "Crewel World" shop from her murdered sister in a lakeside town north of Minneapolis. The earlier books in this series were good but the later ones, in my opinion, have been flat.
Contributor
readerbynight
0 Kudos

I'm between books to review right now, so back to an old favorite in the interim, the Skeleton Detective himself, Gideon Oliver, a forensic anthropologist who loves working with old bones, but is squeamish if they are still too fresh. The series is written by Aaron Elkins and is informative and enjoyable. I love his books, the one I am reading right now is "Unnatural Selection".
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Speaking of Gideon, did any of you ever read the Gideon detective novels by John Creasey? I used to be really hooked on those.
Contributor
Reader_Renee

I am reading Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Joanne Fluke.
Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

Homemade Sin by Kathy Hogan Trocheck
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
Speaking of Gideon, did any of you ever read the Gideon detective novels by John Creasey? I used to be really hooked on those.

what a blast from the past... I used to enjoy John Creasey's Gideon detective stories in the 90s.

A quick search for his books at B&N revealed that all his books are out of print.  I may take a trip down memory lane and order some of books from the used book dealers.

IBIS
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
becke_davis
0 Kudos

momgee wrote:
Homemade Sin by Kathy Hogan Trocheck

Did you know this is one of the names Mary Kay Andrews writes under? I don't remember which is the real name and which is the pen name.  I've read all of her books under both names (well, Deep Dish is at the top of my TBR pile so I'll get to that one soon) and I really like the way she writes.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

IBIS wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

what a blast from the past... I used to enjoy John Creasey's Gideon detective stories in the 90s.

A quick search for his books at B&N revealed that all his books are out of print.  I may take a trip down memory lane and order some of books from the used book dealers.

IBIS

What a shame! That series was incredibly popular -- there was even a TV show based on it in England.  John Creasey was hugely prolific under several pen names, if I remember correctly.  The Gideon books were kind of England's version of Ed McBain's procedurals (which I also gobbled up back in the day).
dhaupt
0 Kudos

In Karen Robards latest Guilty, you meet up and coming ADA Kate White and super cop homicide detective Tom Braga. Kate has lots of secrets and Tom wants to uncover them all because some of them may kill her.
This book is nonstop, action, seduction,suspense just name your favorite verb. It's keep you on the edge of your seat spine tingling reading. This is definitely a must read for all you lovers of great romantic suspense.
Frequent Contributor
msclapp223
0 Kudos

I am reading a great book at the moment entitled The Killer's Wife.  It's a great mystery/thriller type of novel from new author, Bill Floyd.  This is his first book and if this is any indication of his talent I can't wait for the next.  I was taken in by the first chapter.  I highly suggest it!  :smileytongue:

Best,

Jessi )0(
dhaupt
0 Kudos

msclapp223 wrote:
I am reading a great book at the moment entitled The Killer's Wife.  It's a great mystery/thriller type of novel from new author, Bill Floyd.  This is his first book and if this is any indication of his talent I can't wait for the next.  I was taken in by the first chapter.  I highly suggest it!  :smileytongue:

Best,

I was lucky enough to review that for Harper Collins. I thought it was really good and I also thought it was very good for a first novel. I say great minds think alike!
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

I just finished Linda Fairstein's Killer Heat.  It was terrific, and I'm looking forward to reading more of the books in this series.
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Frequent Contributor
butterfly30
0 Kudos

The House of the Seven Gables.
"Tomorrow Is A brand New Day With No Mistakes In It" Anne of Green Gables