Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

becke_davis wrote:

eadieburke wrote:

Just got home from my surgery. Everything went well. I look like the slasher got me across the neck but it's red ink and glue with tape. Pretty scary looking but will not be too bad after a couple of weeks. The stitches are on the inside and the outside is glued. Hard to tell the length because of the red ink and tape but I have faith that it won't be too noticeable. Just glad that it's over and everything is benign!

Thanks for all the speedy recovery wishes and prayers! You guys are awesome!

How are you feeling? I hope you aren't too uncomfortable. Sending lots of hugs and get well wishes your way!

Doing ok - neck a little sore and throat too where they put the breathing tube. Little shaky and dizzy until the meds wear off. I'm going to sit in my recliner and listen to my Washington tapes because I am seeing double today and may not be able to read. 

Thanks again for all the well wishes! 

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Ey hVery Happy to hear you are recovering well and we know Are Well Taken Care of .Posted the New Donna Tartt for you..Oct release She has a huge cult following...Would like Mr. Groff to read The Secret History by her..Of course I have no Idea how to Post Books anymore...(might be "Secret History" it's been a while. I pinned her new book as well...Not home on iPhone so low Battery must recharge in car...R&R Best Susan
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
becke_davis
0 Kudos

PandaPaws wrote:

Right now I'm working on Robert B. Parker's Fool Me Twice, although I must admit I really miss the late and great author.  The new writers are good, but not as good. 

Also, on a whim I downloaded Likely Suspects by G.K. Parks.  I've never heard anything about the author, but I'm really enjoying the book.  It's nonstop action with some underlying flirtation (and I've been neglecting Fool Me Twice and opting for this instead).  Has anyone else read it or even heard of it? 

Up next I'm going to start on Sue Grafton's Kinsey Milhone series.  I've heard really good things about it, but I've never read any of her work. 

I've never read Likely Suspects - I'll check it out. Sue Grafton's books are great, and if you like those you might also check out Margaret Maron and Sara Paretsky. I've read ALMOST all of Robert B. Parker's books and they're great. These authors aren't JUST like him, but they're very good: John Verdon, Brad Parks, Lee Child - the list could go on and on. Scroll down through the conversation threads at the Mystery Forum and you'll find a lot of author features and guest blogs. You'll meet some great authors there, and I'm sure you'll get more reading ideas when you see their new releases.

If you are looking for a particular type of book, let us know. I'm sure we'll have suggestions!

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I've read The Secret History a long time ago, but don't remember much of it.  It may be time to do it all over again.  Thanks for the reminder Susan!

Vermontcozy wrote:
Ey hVery Happy to hear you are recovering well and we know Are Well Taken Care of .Posted the New Donna Tartt for you..Oct release She has a huge cult following...Would like Mr. Groff to read The Secret History by her..Of course I have no Idea how to Post Books anymore...(might be "Secret History" it's been a while. I pinned her new book as well...Not home on iPhone so low Battery must recharge in car...R&R Best Susan

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

So glad to read that your operation was a success, Eadie. Just keep taking it easy and the remnant tape and glue should soon be a thing of the past.

Nice to hear from Susan/VermontCozy again. You have been MIA too long, grrrrl. Have not heard of Donna Tartt before, but think The Secret History sounds very interesting. Thanks for recommending that.

I am off on my Annette Blair tangent still. Now I have read both the first and last book in her series.

A Veiled Deception (Vintage Magic Series #1)  

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

So glad to read that your operation was a success, Eadie. Just keep taking it easy and the remnant tape and glue should soon be a thing of the past.

Nice to hear from Susan/VermontCozy again. You have been MIA too long, grrrrl. Have not heard of Donna Tartt before, but think The Secret History sounds very interesting. Thanks for recommending that.

I am off on my Annette Blair tangent still. Now I have read both the first and last book in her series.

A Veiled Deception (Vintage Magic Series #1)  

I met Annette Blair last spring and she's absolutely lovely! I really like this series, too!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Scribe
ReadingPatti
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy, Happy to see you back. We have missed you.

ReadingPatti

dhaupt

Hey gang It's been a crazy busy month for me the July issue of RT magazine has to be put to bed two weeks early because the first week of May is the RT book lovers convention. This year it's in KC, just moved from Chicago ( sorry Becke) so if anyone's in the area here's registration info - https://www.rtconvention.com/register. I would love to go and maybe one year I'll be fortunate enough to be able to.

I've also been busy ramping up my blog, it's a work in progress but I've had a good number of interviews and even a few giveaways. I invite you all to stop by and maybe you'll even win a book prize you never know.

well stay well

and have a great weekend. :smileyhappy:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Hey gang It's been a crazy busy month for me the July issue of RT magazine has to be put to bed two weeks early because the first week of May is the RT book lovers convention. This year it's in KC, just moved from Chicago ( sorry Becke) so if anyone's in the area here's registration info - https://www.rtconvention.com/register. I would love to go and maybe one year I'll be fortunate enough to be able to.

I've also been busy ramping up my blog, it's a work in progress but I've had a good number of interviews and even a few giveaways. I invite you all to stop by and maybe you'll even win a book prize you never know.

well stay well

and have a great weekend. :smileyhappy:

I missed the RT in Chicago, but a lot of my friends went. I would have gone if it had been in the city, but it was out at the Allstate Arena or whatever they call it now.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Finished this yesterday and looking forward to the sequel:

The Edge of Nowhere  

Starting this today:

The House at Sea's End (Ruth Galloway Series #3)  

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Glad to see that you are getting some reading done while you are healing from your operation, eadie. I have read The Edge of Nowhere by Elizabeth George and enjoyed it very much.becke, I have several more of Annette Blair's books on hold from the library and am looking forward to reading more books in the Vintage Magic series. BTW, has the RT group that Deb was writing about ever had its meeting in the Southwest? Just finished reading or re-reading several books. I had started reading a book by Catriona McPherson, got interrupted and put it away for later. Even though I had read parts of it earlier, it had been long enough that I found it all very interesting. The title and book cover have to be iconic--at least as far as I'm concerned, they are among the best in mystery book titles and covers. (Guessed which book I'm writing about yet?)

Then I read a book that's the latest in her Lois Meade series of mysteries. Yes, Ann Purser has done it again with Found Guilty at Five. For lovers of West Highland White Terriers, there's an illustration of Jemima, or Jeems, the Meade family's feisty dog, on the cover.

Dandy Gilver and the Proper Treatment of Bloodstains  

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'm glad I've read SOME of the books you've all been reading - my to-be-read pile is growing really fast and I'm not whittling it down very quickly. I did really enjoy the two books I read this weekend:

An Inquiry Into Love and Death  

Dark Tide  

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Hi, Eadie, I'm so glad your surgery was successful! I'm sure you will be fine in a couple of weeks.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Eadie - The one benefit of recuperating: READING TIME! I hope you're feeling well enough to get some reading in this week.

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Thanks again for the well wishes! I am doing great and working on my daughter's baby shower which will be held next Sunday. 

I am also finding time to read. Finishing up on:

Next up - one of my favorite authors!

A Dark and Broken Heart. by R.J. Ellory  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

eadieburke wrote:

Thanks again for the well wishes! I am doing great and working on my daughter's baby shower which will be held next Sunday. 

I am also finding time to read. Finishing up on:

Next up - one of my favorite authors!

A Dark and Broken Heart. by R.J. Ellory  

Oh, I missed that R.J. Ellory - I love his books!

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

This is his latest published book but he has another that is going to be released soon.

A Dark and Broken Heart