Reply
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,832
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

I just finished Dessert Cut by Betty Webb it's her fifth Lena Jones Mystery published by Poisoned Penn Press which publishes two of my favorite authors Betty included.
Lena is a Scottsdale Az. PI who has survived a gunshot to the head when she was a small girl and raised in the "system". This foray involved female genitalia mutilation, which used to be common in the Middle East (which I didn't know), and her fight to solve a little girls murder. If you haven't read her it will be worth your while to do so, she takes on a lot of today's socially conscious issues. In her book Dessert Wives which I think was two or three books back she takes on Utah's and Arizona's polygamy communes. That book still gives me nightmares.
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,679
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?



dhaupt wrote:
I just finished Dessert Cut by Betty Webb it's her fifth Lena Jones Mystery published by Poisoned Penn Press which publishes two of my favorite authors Betty included.
Lena is a Scottsdale Az. PI who has survived a gunshot to the head when she was a small girl and raised in the "system". This foray involved female genitalia mutilation, which used to be common in the Middle East (which I didn't know), and her fight to solve a little girls murder. If you haven't read her it will be worth your while to do so, she takes on a lot of today's socially conscious issues. In her book Dessert Wives which I think was two or three books back she takes on Utah's and Arizona's polygamy communes. That book still gives me nightmares.

I've never heard of these -- thanks so much or telling us about this series!
Correspondent
momgee
Posts: 584
Registered: ‎07-24-2007
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

I just finished 2 books by Cynthia Riggs,Indian Pipes and Jack in the Pulpit. Ms. Riggs is a resident of Martha's Vineyard and her series is set there, with her senior sleuth (92 years young) Victoria Trumball. Her books give you a real feel for the Island. If you like Philip Craig, you will most likely enjoy these books. Now I am reading The Tea House on Mulberry St.   This is not a mystery, but still is a very enjoyable read. The setting is the Tea House and the lives of the owners and various patrons. I'm only about 1/3 of the way into it but I like what I am reading so far.
 
Kaye
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,679
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

Thanks for telling me about Cynthia Riggs -- I'm always looking for garden-related mysteries!
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
Posts: 4,372
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

Yesterday I received and started reading Death Walks In, the new Death on Demand mystery from Carolyn Hart!  It's great to be back on Broward's Rock with Annie and Max!  (although just about everyone else is away on vacation, during the off-season, even Laurel, Henny, Emma, and Ingrid)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Frequent Contributor
chana56
Posts: 161
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

Just finished Nora Ephron's next-to-latest collection of articles/essays I Feel Bad About My Neck, and Other Thoughts On Being a Woman, now I'm in the middle of Death of a Domestic Diva by Sharon Short (the first of the Toadfern mysteries). 
 
Have to finish it up, Marcia Talley's second serial mystery I'd Kill for That arrived yesterday. 
 
One would think that being on holiday would provide more time to read, but we're so busy there's barely any chance....
Chana

"We don't stop laughing when we get old, we get old when we stop laughing - Anonymous
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
Posts: 4,372
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

Sorry, I got the title slightly wrong - Carolyn Hart's newest is Death Walked In.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,679
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

I read that Nora Ephron book and a lot of things she wrote about resonated with me!
Contributor
colorado
Posts: 15
Registered: ‎04-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

Hi Everybody
 
Right now I'm reading "A Foreign Affair" a mystery by a new writer Caro Peacock. It takes place in 1837
England, just as Queen Victoria is ascending to the throne. The main protagonist is Liberty Lane whose father has been murdered. She,naturally enough, wants to know why. That's as far as I've gotten but so far it's very interesting and well written and I'm enjoying it immensely.
Frequent Contributor
chana56
Posts: 161
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?



becke_davis wrote:
I read that Nora Ephron book and a lot of things she wrote about resonated with me!



Absolutely.  I read her first collection of articles & essays, Crazy Salad, when it was first published in the mid 1970's, and loved it.  She's also an amazing scriptwriter, in my humble opinion.  Now that she's writing about aging, I could really identify with so many of her observations.  I immediately lent the book to a friend, and I have a feeling it will soon make the rounds of my little social circle.   :smileyvery-happy:
Chana

"We don't stop laughing when we get old, we get old when we stop laughing - Anonymous
New User
readingbystarshy9
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎04-26-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

Hi all,
I just started reading a couple great authors a couple months ago. Tess Gerritsen and Heather Graham. I just finished Tess Gerritsen's The Sinner a few mintues ago. I think this book is awesome I could not put this book down. I did not figure out who the bad guy was until the very end. I am sure there was an order to reading her writings, but I have found it really didn't matter of which order I read them. The books I have read so far have kept me on my toes. I hope to read all of their books in the next coming months. If anyone has read them please let me know of some more authors that have the same writing style. I have read all of Patricia Cronwell's books and most of Nora Roberts books. I like James Patterson and Allison Brennan. Any direction would be welcomed.
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,679
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?



readingbystarshy9 wrote:
Hi all,
I just started reading a couple great authors a couple months ago. Tess Gerritsen and Heather Graham. I just finished Tess Gerritsen's The Sinner a few mintues ago. I think this book is awesome I could not put this book down. I did not figure out who the bad guy was until the very end. I am sure there was an order to reading her writings, but I have found it really didn't matter of which order I read them. The books I have read so far have kept me on my toes. I hope to read all of their books in the next coming months. If anyone has read them please let me know of some more authors that have the same writing style. I have read all of Patricia Cronwell's books and most of Nora Roberts books. I like James Patterson and Allison Brennan. Any direction would be welcomed.


If you like Heather Graham you might like: Linda Howard, Sharon Sala, Lisa Jackson, Lisa Gardiner, Iris Johanson, etc.  If you like romantic suspense you should also try Suzanne Brockman's Navy SEAL series.
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,679
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?



becke_davis wrote:


readingbystarshy9 wrote:
Hi all,
I just started reading a couple great authors a couple months ago. Tess Gerritsen and Heather Graham. I just finished Tess Gerritsen's The Sinner a few mintues ago. I think this book is awesome I could not put this book down. I did not figure out who the bad guy was until the very end. I am sure there was an order to reading her writings, but I have found it really didn't matter of which order I read them. The books I have read so far have kept me on my toes. I hope to read all of their books in the next coming months. If anyone has read them please let me know of some more authors that have the same writing style. I have read all of Patricia Cronwell's books and most of Nora Roberts books. I like James Patterson and Allison Brennan. Any direction would be welcomed.


If you like Heather Graham you might like: Linda Howard, Sharon Sala, Lisa Jackson, Lisa Gardiner, Iris Johanson, etc.  If you like romantic suspense you should also try Suzanne Brockman's Navy SEAL series.


If you like medical mysteries (Tess Gerritson) check out Robin Cook's mysteries.
New User
readingbystarshy9
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎04-26-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

Thank you Becke,
 
 I have read one or two of Lisa Jackson's books she is good also. I have read a few of Robin Cook's Books also. I have picked up a couple books by Suzanne Brockman, but I have not bought them yet wasn't sure if I would like the Navy Seal series, but I think I will buy one to see if I can get into it. Thank you again...
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,832
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

I just finished Suddenly a re-release of Barbara Delinski from the 90's. But it is still fresh enough for todays tastes and it was a really good read it had a lot of character developments with the three main people in the story. Has a wonderful plot and I can't say enough about Ms. Delinski's writing, she really has a way with words.
It's about a small Vermont town's pediatrics office and how the three remaining partners deal with the suicide of the 4th partner. It also revolves around a falling down boarding school and it's head. I think you'll enjoy it.
Frequent Contributor
fordmg
Posts: 546
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

I just finished reading David Baldacci,  The Whole Truth.  Quite thought provoking for a thriller.
MG
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,679
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?



fordmg wrote:
I just finished reading David Baldacci,  The Whole Truth.  Quite thought provoking for a thriller.
MG



I'm a big fan of his books -- I've read nearly all of them.
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
Posts: 4,372
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

I finished Death Walked In.  I did figure everything out fairly early on, but half the fun is the characters themselves.
 
Next a non-mystery; I just started rereading Austen's Mansfield Park for the May reading group that's doing it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,679
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?



dulcinea3 wrote:
I finished Death Walked In.  I did figure everything out fairly early on, but half the fun is the characters themselves.
 
Next a non-mystery; I just started rereading Austen's Mansfield Park for the May reading group that's doing it.


I just picked up Persuasion -- it must be Austen time!
New User
RobynUCF
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎05-02-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

Right now I'm reading the second book in the Stephanie Plum series, Two for the Dough, by Janet Evanovich. I started the series a few months ago and I never have time to sit and read! Now that I'm between semesters (I'm a college student) I'm taking some time to get to know the characters. Hopefully I can get through the book and the next in the series before I start my summer internship! I also want to read Barbara Walters' memoir-but that might have to wait a bit.
Stuck in a book,
Robyn