Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

basson_mommy12 wrote:
I am reading "A Dance with Dragons" (Song of Fire and Ice) and "City of Dark Magic" which was most-highly recommended to me by a good friend. So far, I am enjoying the quirky tale. I quickly finished "Dead Ever After" the final Southern Vampire Sookie Stackhouse novel. I am glad the series is over. After book #6 or so, it started to lose steam. -- Ruth

A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #5)  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

The Tale of Castle Cottage (Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter Series #8)  

I've been saving this one because my understanding is that it is the last in the series, and I didn't want it to end!  But finally I am reading it, and having a hard time putting it down!  Not really because it is so exciting, as these are very gentle mysteries, but because I love the writing and characters so much.  Beatrix is engaged to Will Heelis (this is based on real life), but her over-demanding parents are being really nasty about it, and now Will's family is objecting because they are High Church, and the Potters are Dissenters. And now Beatrix' brother Bertram has shown up and is intending to do something that will probably make things worse.  I hope they can get past this and find happiness, but they are both starting to think it will never happen.  In the meantime, a gang of thieving rats has moved into the village, and the resident animals have to figure out how to take care of this problem.  Beatrix' contractor or someone working for him may be stealing materials, and the head carpenter, who was just fired, has been found hanged - is it suicide or murder?

I've read most of her other books, but not this series. Thanks for sharing this with us!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Intrigued_by_Romance
0 Kudos

I have to admit...I haven't read Agatha Christie in years. What did you think of those two books?
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Intrigued_by_Romance wrote:
I have to admit...I haven't read Agatha Christie in years. What did you think of those two books?

Do you like short stories? If you do, you might want to start with some of Agatha Christie's anthologies. It's a good way to become familiar with her work.

Hercule Poirot  

The Mousetrap and Other Plays  

Partners in Crime  

The Regatta Mystery and Other Stories  

The Under Dog and Other Stories  

The Mysterious Mr. Quin  

The Witness for the Prosecution and Other Stories  

The Golden Ball And Other Stories  

The Harlequin Tea Set and Other Stories  

Parker Pyne Investigates  

Three Blind Mice and Other Stories  

Miss Marple  

The Labors of Hercules (Hercule Poirot Series)  

Masterpieces in Miniature  

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

The Tale of Castle Cottage (Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter Series #8)  

I've been saving this one because my understanding is that it is the last in the series, and I didn't want it to end!  But finally I am reading it, and having a hard time putting it down!  Not really because it is so exciting, as these are very gentle mysteries, but because I love the writing and characters so much.  Beatrix is engaged to Will Heelis (this is based on real life), but her over-demanding parents are being really nasty about it, and now Will's family is objecting because they are High Church, and the Potters are Dissenters. And now Beatrix' brother Bertram has shown up and is intending to do something that will probably make things worse.  I hope they can get past this and find happiness, but they are both starting to think it will never happen.  In the meantime, a gang of thieving rats has moved into the village, and the resident animals have to figure out how to take care of this problem.  Beatrix' contractor or someone working for him may be stealing materials, and the head carpenter, who was just fired, has been found hanged - is it suicide or murder?

I've read most of her other books, but not this series. Thanks for sharing this with us!

I haven't read any of her other series, but I really loved this one.  I've been a big fan of Beatrix Potter since I was very little!  In addition to the main novel, each book has a biographical note at the end, telling the true story of what was going on in Potter's life during the period covered by the story, so taken altogether, I feel like I've also read a biography of Potter (this one, being the last in the series, covers up until the end of her life).  Potter had a mission to preserve the area where she bought her 'escape' from her parents and London, Hill Top Farm.  She later bought more land and farms in the area, including Castle Farm, where she lived with her husband Will Heelis, after they married.  Together, they saved large areas from being carved up and developed.  Each book also contains some recipes at the end, and a glossary for the local expressions used in the story.  I finished the book last night, so it's bittersweet, knowing it's over!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

That'll teach me to try and post an update from my phone! No add product. LOL

Seeing all of those Christie covers scroll by was so strange and yet really neat. :smileyhappy: I never tire of her books, even after dedicating about 2 years to reading all of her books. I am kinda missing them.

I hope everyone is having a great summer so far. I've been less successful reading this week, but I really do like

City of Dark Magic  so far. Very quirky.

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
becke_davis
0 Kudos

basson_mommy12 wrote:

That'll teach me to try and post an update from my phone! No add product. LOL

Seeing all of those Christie covers scroll by was so strange and yet really neat. :smileyhappy: I never tire of her books, even after dedicating about 2 years to reading all of her books. I am kinda missing them.

I hope everyone is having a great summer so far. I've been less successful reading this week, but I really do like

City of Dark Magic  so far. Very quirky.

The next one comes out soon. I can hardly wait!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

A Dangerous Fiction  

Downfall  

Distinguished Wordsmith
Intrigued_by_Romance
0 Kudos

Thank you for the suggestions! I will give some of these a try.
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

And Then There Were None  

basson_mommy12 wrote:

Hi Ruth!

If you're missing Christie, I'm enjoying starting each month with a Christie in Agatha Christie Lovers on GR, since they're a quick and easy read, so it's easy to fit them in with my other reading.  I just read And Then There Were None in two days, so now I can get on to Pickwick! :smileywink:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

I'm taking a break from mysteries for a while and delving into two classics:

Tom Sawyer Box Set  and

The Pickwick Papers  . I also just purchased

The Best of Connie Willis  which I am excited to investigate!

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
becke_davis
0 Kudos

basson_mommy12 wrote:

I'm taking a break from mysteries for a while and delving into two classics:

Tom Sawyer Box Set  and

The Pickwick Papers  . I also just purchased

The Best of Connie Willis  which I am excited to investigate!

I have one Connie Willis book in my TBR pile - I hope to get to it this summer! In the meantime, I'm reading these two:

A Visit from the Goon Squad  

Chicago's Historic Hyde Park  

becke_davis
0 Kudos

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Hi mystery fans I'm reading Ben H Winters brand new just released today novel

Countdown City  

to go with my blog's monthly read of his first in his Pre-apocalyptic trilogy

The Last Policeman  , an Edgar winner and a Macavity nominee

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

Ok, I jumped on the bandwagon and picked up "The Cuckoo's Calling" a couple of days ago. I had never heard of it before the news broke about Rowling's nom de plume. Anyone else out there going to read it? Anyone have the book on their TBR before it was known it was by Rowling?

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Dark Tide  

Wow! That is an amazing truth-is-stranger-than-fiction premise. That just sort of boggles the mind!

-- Ruth

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI