Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading right now?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

To get this thread back on track, I'm still reading the same two books, since I haven't had a lot of reading time this week. I got an advance copy of one of our March features and it looks really good:

31 Bond Street

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Miss Becke..                    READING MINDS AGAIN?  Must be a Good Skill to Have as a Moderator?...Now Blogger.. Best  Vtc..Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
becke_davis

Frequent Contributor
Irishcontessa
0 Kudos

This may (again) be more true crime than mystery but I'm reading

Flawless right now.

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

I am reading Flawless too. I agree true crime, but a touch of mystery with the execution of the crime.

I am sneaking chapters in between my other books. I am about 100 pages in. It is very good.

pen21

Irishcontessa wrote:

This may (again) be more true crime than mystery but I'm reading

Flawless right now.

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

It was kind of a reading frenzy weekend for me.

I fell down by my daughter's apartment on Thursday, bruised my hip and tore up my right hand pretty bad so it was just sort of a couch potato weekend for me and I spent it reading:

Imagine that, here's what I started with.

The Cinderella Deal 

This was classic way back when Jenny Crusie. If you haven't read this, run, don't walk to your nearest bookstore and read it. I mean it was so cute, so funny and the romance was to die for. You know sometimes you just gotta read a simple boy meets girl, falls in love romance and this one rates right up there.

Next on the hit parade was:

Winter Garden 

This will be one of my best books of 2010, it's the most poignant story I've read for a while. It will make you cry, make you mad and make you laugh. It's more than a romance and more than a mystery it's a life story and a definite must read for 2010

next is a mystery by a 70 year old debut author that I read for my in-person book club.

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Flavia de Luce Series #1) 

It's the first of the Flavia de Luce mysteries and the author had at least 3 more planned. Now let me give you a little insight here. The series is set in England in the 1950's and Flavia is an 11 year old wonder child in chemistry, she's precocious, she's sometimes a brat and she lives for intrigue and mystery, she also finds herself in the middle of trouble more often than not. For all of you fans of true mystery who-done-it's, this will ring all your bells.

Next I just started for the next Sneek Peek in the Current Affairs club:

Seized 

I'm really early on in it and all I can say so far is WOW!!!

All I can say is yes, yes, yes!  I loved "Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie" and will recommend it forever!

These others look fascinating. 

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
becke_davis
0 Kudos

The Cinderella Deal has always been one of my favorite Crusie books. I'm soooo glad they reissued it!

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

The Moonstone (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)  I'm reading The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins and while I'm really enjoying it, I'm having a hard time concentrating on it.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Ryan, I read both The Moonstone and The Woman in White back in high school, but I don't think I'd like them now. I look for different things in a mystery these days, although I might appreciate the retro feel to the books.

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

The Moonstone (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)  I'm reading The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins and while I'm really enjoying it, I'm having a hard time concentrating on it.

I had to read part of "The Moonstone" in a high school mystery lit class (yes, there was a mystery lit class!!!  It was awesome!), but I've never read the entire thing.  I was warned off of it for being boring.  But, I read "The Woman in White" last year and loved it!  I wish you luck.  IT took me about 200 pages to really get into TWIW.

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Thanks guys, so far I'm liking it but I keep getting distracted away from it.  I'm going to try to get more into it tonight. 

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Author
RosemaryH
0 Kudos

Hi Becke,

I've been absent of late, but I always read the posts and I had to chime in on The Moonstone and The Woman in White. They are two of my favorite books - admittedly the last time I read TWIW was about 5 years ago. Also saw both of them on the stage and they were quite entertaining (although not as good as the books.) Stick with them, I think you'll find them worth your time.

I'm reading the PD James on Detective Fiction  and I've just ordered Shutter Island, Drive Time, Without Fear by Cordelia Biddle and Exclusive by Sandra Brown. The first two I know you're familiar with - Without Fear is the latest in the Martha Beale series (historical fiction) and Exclusive will be my first Sandra Brown. I saw it in an airport bookstore and thought it looked good but couldn't carry another thing so I waited until I got home to order it. i wonder how many other people do that at airports and train stations?

Cheers,

Rosemary

rosemary

Learn more about Pushing Up Daisies.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi Rosemary - it's great to see you here! Rosemary's books have been featured here before, and she has another book coming up soon:

Dead Head

Coming April 13, 2010
from Minotaur Books!

The Big Dirt Nap (Dirty Business Series #2)

Pushing up Daisies (Dirty Business Mystery Series #1)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Well, I bet that woke everybody up - not sure why the image came through so large; I copied it from a small image.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Good Morning Becke>>>>Whoa..Ok I promise I will Read Rosemary Harris...'Pushing up Daisies" sounds just like a "Cozy' that I would love...Plus Rosemary's interesting background, and being from NYC,Ct,..Best Susan..VtCozy 

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Ok why does that look like a Greatful Dead tshirt to me?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Ok why does that look like a Greatful Dead tshirt to me?

Tigger - You're right, it sort of does. Isn't it a cool cover?
Susan - Sort of blinding, isn't it? I don't know why it came through so large.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Yes it does catch the eye a bit, in a good way.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Dial H for Hitchcock (Cece Caruso Series #5) 

I bought this today - it looks good, and I liked the others of hers I read.